Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excellent tenant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not sure what lesson you mean? Have a well paid job all your life? Never get long term ill or disabled?

Real life is not that easy for many of us.

Which is why we have rentals.

More and more thankful to be in council accommodation now .
    A good lesson for those who don’t think owning your own home is vital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

That's the way it's become in Ireland: house and land ownership is seen as the gold standard. And the more you own, the higher your status. Used to be cattle, now it's property.

Tough on this tenant but as others have suggested either move out of the area to where it's cheaper or maybe look to sharing with others. We don't have a god given right (or a constitutional right) to live where we'd like, sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

BarryD2 wrote: »
    That's the way it's become in Ireland: house and land ownership is seen as the gold standard. And the more you own, the higher your status. Used to be cattle, now it's property.....

His comment has got nothing to do with status. Its about security.

Just be clear when the politicians call to the door, they are the ones who created these situations and continue to maintain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

road_high wrote: »
    Forcing an older man away from his network or friends and family could kill someone like that, the mental strain alone. I’ve seen that before with men when the rugs been pulled from under them

But he obviously doesn't have a network. If he did then they'd be helping him find somewhere to move to. Instead his landlord is having to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

road_high wrote: »
    Forcing an older man away from his network or friends and family could kill someone like that, the mental strain alone. I’ve seen that before with men when the rugs been pulled from under them

We all have choices growing up. They lead you in a direction. I think what your saying is keep this retired man and in fact all retired people house in their preferred location where ever that might be and the tax payer foot the bill for it. So then should all people be house accordingly ? We have to treat all people the same. So where are we going with this an ever ending cycle of why bother the state will pay for me..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not sure what lesson you mean? Have a well paid job all your life? Never get long term ill or disabled?

Real life is not that easy for many of us.

Which is why we have rentals.

More and more thankful to be in council accommodation now .

I see a number of posters are taking issue with my post.

My point was that you will see plenty of posters saying we need to move toward a more rental oriented society, that not everyone should buy, that people shouldn’t be seeing buying a vital etc etc. But this is an example of why anyone should have owning their own home as one of their main aims in life.

I feel as sorry for this man as anyone, I’m not giving him a dig whatsoever.

What YOU are not seeing is that for many folk that is just never possible. Period. If you have had bad luck with health, employment etc how can you buy a house? Or in a low paid job?

And the main aim in life is to survive and keep a roof over your head. Nothing to do with should etc. Simply practicality and realism.

My point was that you will see plenty of posters saying we need to move toward a more rental oriented society, that not everyone should buy, that people shouldn’t be seeing buying a vital etc etc. But this is an example of why anyone should have owning their own home as one of their main aims in life.

Do we? House purchase is not possible for many because of the circumstances of their life that they can do little about.

Why should old folk not choose where they live?

We all have choices growing up. They lead you in a direction. I think what your saying is keep this retired man and in fact all retired people house in their preferred location where ever that might be and the tax payer foot the bill for it. So then should all people be house accordingly ? We have to treat all people the same. So where are we going with this an ever ending cycle of why bother the state will pay for me..

What YOU are not seeing is that for many folk that is just never possible. Period. If you have had bad luck with health, employment etc how can you buy a house? Or in a low paid job?

And the main aim in life is to survive and keep a roof over your head. Nothing to do with should etc. Simply practicality and realism.

I would see it as a very rare thing for a person to never be able to own their own home. I could probably count on one hand the people I know over the age of about 40 who don't own their own home and have personally never come across a retired person who doesn't so it is rare that a person doesn't either own their own home or get handed one by the council at some stage in life.

• Advertisement

An older man is unlikely to have friends who have a house to spare! His network will be old folk like himself. He will have familiar places that mean a lot to him and are supportive to him . At our age these things mean a lot; we don't bounce as easily as younger folk

And his landlord is a star and a rare man!
    But he obviously doesn't have a network. If he did then they'd be helping him find somewhere to move to. Instead his landlord is having to do it.

Then your life experience is very limited. I am a retired person. I now do rent from the council. Not sure what you mean by "handed one". If only that could be so for this man.
    I would see it as a very rare thing for a person to never be able to own their own home. I could probably count on one hand the people I know over the age of about 40 who don't own their own home and have personally never come across a retired person who doesn't so it is rare that a person doesn't either own their own home or get handed one by the council at some stage in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

This suggests in the UK it's 13% and growing.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/property/686161/Number-pensioners-renting-soared-220-000-last-four-years/amp

The regional breakdown is interesting. I expect we'll mirror the UK regional pattern if not now, we will soon.

Can't find Irish figures as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

You live at home with your parents and pay absolutely nothing towards the running of the home, despite being in your mid 30's with a well paid professional job.
    That is why you can afford to buy.

You are in no position to be making judgments or statements like that when its unlikely you'd be in the financially secure position you are in now, only for the good grace of your parents. Not everyone is so lucky to have that opportunity.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    You live at home with your parents and pay absolutely nothing towards the running of the home, despite being in your mid 30's with a well paid professional job.
    That is why you can afford to buy.

You are in no position to be making judgments or statements like that when its unlikely you'd be in the financially secure position you are in now, only for the good grace of your parents. Not everyone is so lucky to have that opportunity.

Living at home has little to do with my ability to own a home, admittedly I probably wouldn't be able to build my own home if it wasn't our own land, I'd have a bigger mortgage and certainly not buy the standard or size I will build but I would be able to buy a house even on one income. I have had mortgage approval prior to getting married but didn't follow though on it (and I was renting a room in a house share at the time and earning less).

Staying well away from Dublin helps a lot too.

Living at home has little to do with my ability to own a home, admittedly I probably wouldn't be able to build my own home if it wasn't our own land and certainly not to the standard or size I will but I would be able to buy a house even on one income. I have had mortgage approval prior to getting married but didn't follow though on it (and I was renting a room in a house share at the time and earning less).

Of course it does. You have no rent, bills, or living expenses to pay. You are building your house on a free plot of land.

You are at a monumental advantage compared to some who is spending €€€€ on rent alone, never mind bills & food, or someone handing up money to their family to live at home.

How can you not see that?

Of course it does. You have no rent, bills, or living expenses to pay. You are building your house on a free plot of land.

You are at a monumental advantage compared to some who is spending €€€€ on rent alone, never mind bills & food, or someone handing up money to their family to live at home.

How can you not see that?

If you remembered my posts correctly you would see that I may not pay rent at home but I do contribute to my wife's mortgage and split bills in the house even though I am normally only there a few days of the week.

Also lots of people can live at home and even if they pay rent it will be a lot less than renting externally but people want to move out, they want to travel, they want to go abroad etc and then wonder why they can't save. People have choices.

Its like in college when lots would go off on J1s and then during the college year wonder why I had lots of money for drink, could run my car and buy a nice lunch everyday. Because I was working 6 days a week for 4 months of the summer and was much happier to live at home thats why.

If you remembered my posts correctly you would see that I may not pay rent at home but I do contribute to my wife's mortgage and split bills in the house even though I am normally only there a few days of the week.

Also lots of people can live at home and even if they pay rent it will be a lot less than renting externally but people want to move out, they want to travel, they want to go abroad etc and then wonder why they can't save. People have choices.

Its like in college when lots would go off on J1s and then during the college year wonder why I had lots of money for drink, could run my car and buy a nice lunch everyday. Because I was working 6 days a week for 4 months of the summer and was much happier to live at home thats why.

No I remember you saying you paid the broadband bill and nothing more, and that anyone who paid their parents to live at home was stupid.

Nothing about a wifes mortgage or splitting any other bills whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

This gentleman might be someone who never went on to have a family, and never had much money or financial security. A lot of those old dudes live in London - emigrated for the building work and ended up alone, sometimes homeless, poor fellas.

If so, he would not have been able to secure a mortgage so easily. And the council looks after families before single occupants.

My uncle is about the same age and bought a house in the 80s by himself. But he was a teacher. Back then once you had a public sector job you were laughing. Even if not earning major bucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

No I remember you saying you paid the broadband bill and nothing more, and that anyone who paid their parents to live at home was stupid.

Nothing about a wifes mortgage or splitting any other bills whatsoever.

Any chance that you'd try a bit harder to stick to the theme of this topic and take your haranguing of someone whose opinion doesn't appeal to you to PM?

• Advertisement

2020Vision wrote: »
    Any chance that you'd try a bit harder to stick to the theme of this topic and take your haranguing of someone whose opinion doesn't appeal to you to PM?

Its really unhelpful for a person who has had a very unique, advantageous financial situation to be pontificating about the importance of buying a house to someone in such a precarious situation through no fault of their own.
    If you have a problem with my posts, feel free to report them, stop backseat moderating and leave it to the actual Mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Do we? House purchase is not possible for many because of the circumstances of their life that they can do little about.

Why should old folk not choose where they live?

That's not any system on earth that will allow that. Why ? Human nature. People would do nothing. And does who would dknt want to pay for those that dont. Then there would be civil war. So that is why we have rules and regulations. Besides lots of property out side of the main employment areas with empty property.

Its really unhelpful for a person who has had a very unique, advantageous financial situation to be pontificating about the importance of buying a house to someone in such a precarious situation through no fault of their own.
    If you have a problem with my posts, feel free to report them, stop backseat moderating and leave it to the actual Mods.

Things are gone wildly off topic but I will point out again that my original post was not directed at the ops tenant whatsoever. It was pointed at those who on forum have promoted a move to "renting for live" and sell it as a good thing. I was simply pointing out this is the type of situation that will occur more and more if people are renting into old age. My own situation which you decided to drag up is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Things are gone wildly off topic but I will point out again that my original post was not directed at the ops tenant whatsoever. It was pointed at those who on forum have promoted a move to "renting for live" and sell it as a good thing. I was simply pointing out this is the type of situation that will occur more and more if people are renting into old age. My own situation which you decided to drag up is irrelevant.

You derailed the thread...live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

2020Vision wrote: »

Report posts if you've a problem with them please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

In rental orientated societies, the owner can sell the apartment with the tenant still living in the accommodation. Something completely alien in Ireland. Banks won't even entertain such a "crazy" idea.

There is a strong need to own a home in Ireland under the current circumstances. However, not everybody can afford to buy. Buying a cottage in the middle of nowhere for 100K is also not an answer.

Your post is a complete non sequitur to mine and I have no idea what you are talking about.

Certainly nothing to do with this gentleman's predicament

Civil war? What rules?

That's not any system on earth that will allow that. Why ? Human nature. People would do nothing. And does who would dknt want to pay for those that dont. Then there would be civil war. So that is why we have rules and regulations. Besides lots of property out side of the main employment areas with empty property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

This! Why does he need to live in Dublin particularly if he is off pensionable age.
    Plenty off people like myself have to live in Dublin because of work, but there are many affordable places once you movie away from the pale.

Probably because he is an older gentleman who has his friends family social life and his social curiosities built around him. I am guessing that you are under 35? Because after 30 people who dont know you have very little time for you. It takes too much effort to make friends and find them. Older people have their favourite shops, pubs and walks. Can we not afford these to our senior citizens who have given much of their lives through "Belt tightenings" and emigration eras?

When you get to that age you will hope people will be that charitable to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

paulieeye wrote: »
    Probably because of the lack of other accommodation. Have you been paying attention?

So someone should give up their life and family because they are too old to be useful.

Every village and county in the county the same issues with housing, what makes Dublin so superior. He is as entitled to live there as much as you, probably was living and working there before you were born.

Absolutely disgusting to have an opinion that a working person should be the only person entitled to accomodation in the area.

Probably thinks along the lines of this why don't we just euthaniae everyone in the country as soon as they retire and free up a few properties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Probably thinks along the lines of this why don't we just euthaniae everyone in the country as soon as they retire and free up a few properties.

Actually that is the next thing on the referenda cards. Once you are 55 and start having health problems, out the door. Doctors will be fully compliant because they dont want those people affecting their insurance ratings.

Advertisement