Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painting New Banister Rail

• 20-01-2020 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Got new white spindles which do not require any paint and banister rail fitted. I pulled up the carpet on stairs and currently undercoating and going to finish in white satin and get grey carpet runner up along stairs. What are popular choices in terms of colour for the banister rail? It's currently bare pine wood.

Thank you

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Clear varnish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

^^^ clear varnish. Paint will quickly look scruffy, varnish just looks lived in. And it looks nice with white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Match it to the colour of your doors/skirting boards maybe.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Use a small brush and some Ronseal one coat wood primer from woodies,
    It's not the cheapest of stuff around €54 for a 3 Litre bucket but it does the job very well,
    And the right job first time saves alot of effort sanding the future

Use the brush for getting in to the detail areas,
    But I recommend using a small roller for the main parts of the spindles;
    We found this method greatly reduced the lines left behind from a regular pain brush

Heres our results: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/?do=findComment&comment=605840

He doesn't want to paint the spindles, they're staying white.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    He doesn't want to paint the spindles, they're staying white.

:eek:Whoops my bad

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

LenWoods wrote: »
    Use a small brush and some Ronseal one coat wood primer from woodies,
    It's not the cheapest of stuff around €54 for a 3 Litre bucket but it does the job very well,
    And the right job first time saves alot of effort sanding the future

Use the brush for getting in to the detail areas,
    But I recommend using a small roller for the main parts of the spindles;
    We found this method greatly reduced the lines left behind from a regular pain brush

Heres our results: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/?do=findComment&comment=605840

Thanks for the detailed response. Really like the work you did on your stairs. Is your banister rail the original colour or did you re-paint it after changing your spindles to white?

Thanks for all the replies.

So the stairs will be painted satin white - plan to have grey carpet runner up the stairs (with small white section of stairs visible either side all the way up).
    New white spindles (finished in white which do not require painting) have been fitted and pine banister rail has been fitted (ready for painting). So just looking for ideas on colour for the varnish? Any suggestions given the colours I am going for with the carpet and stairs? Thanks again :D

whodafunk wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.

So the stairs will be painted satin white - plan to have grey carpet runner up the stairs (with small white section of stairs visible either side all the way up).
    New white spindles (finished in white which do not require painting) have been fitted and pine banister rail has been fitted (ready for painting). So just looking for ideas on colour for the varnish? Any suggestions given the colours I am going for with the carpet and stairs? Thanks again :D

Clear varnish will look smart and modern IMO.

whodafunk wrote: »
    Thanks for the detailed response. Really like the work you did on your stairs. Is your banister rail the original colour or did you re-paint it after changing your spindles to white?

Thanks very much,
    The hand rail is just varnished pine, however I would like it to be oak but it will remain as if for now.

• Advertisement

So here is the rail in question. What would be people’s suggestions for paint colour for the handrail ? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I stained my rail with a charcoal oil stain (after stripping off all the old varnish, which was a royal PITA), however mine was a mahogany so the grain and stain worked well.
    With a light pine it might not look so good...
    I think I'd still go with an oil over a varnish though...in case you want to change it.

Advertisement