Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone FTTH with TV and own router

Options
  • 20-01-2020 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just switched from Eir to Vodafone. With Eir I had no TV and i was using my own Netgear orbi system without issues. I managed to set it with Vodafone for the broadband as well, but the TV doesn't like it.

Is anyone aware if it needs specific firewall rules or any other thing that I need to adjust on my router to get the vodafone iptv working?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've not seen anyone do it yet but it should be possible. Whether or not the Orbi supports this I cannot say for sure. If it has an IPTV settings panel please post a screenshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

I *think* but I'm not totally sure, that the TV uses a different VLAN ID than the broadband, which is how they are able to deliver two services down the same fibre. The Vodafone router would be set up to separate these VLANs correctly, whereas I believe the Orbi uses a default VLAN and can't be changed (at least, the last time I looked.)

Your best bet would be to use the Vodafone router with wifi turned off, then attach the Orbi to the LAN of the Vodafone router. I know you'll be double-NATted but if the VF router allows you to put the Orbi's assigned IP in a DMZ you can probably mitigate some of the issues that you get from this.

(BTW I'm in exactly the same position with Digiweb, I have their router serving the internet and a SIP phone line, and an Orbi Voice bundle for wifi)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

ED E wrote: »
    I've not seen anyone do it yet but it should be possible. Whether or not the Orbi supports this I cannot say for sure. If it has an IPTV settings panel please post a screenshot.

There is nothing specific for IPTV in ORBI, but there is nothing in the VF router either.
    I *think* but I'm not totally sure, that the TV uses a different VLAN ID than the broadband, which is how they are able to deliver two services down the same fibre. The Vodafone router would be set up to separate these VLANs correctly, whereas I believe the Orbi uses a default VLAN and can't be changed (at least, the last time I looked.)

Your best bet would be to use the Vodafone router with wifi turned off, then attach the Orbi to the LAN of the Vodafone router. I know you'll be double-NATted but if the VF router allows you to put the Orbi's assigned IP in a DMZ you can probably mitigate some of the issues that you get from this.

(BTW I'm in exactly the same position with Digiweb, I have their router serving the internet and a SIP phone line, and an Orbi Voice bundle for wifi)

Now that's interesting. Orbi can have different VLAN ids per port, so I can probably work that out. Any idea of what that vlan id could be? I have already setup the internet port as vlan 10. The only way this could not work is if they are doing any weird vpn tunnels, but I would doubt.

Thank you both!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

AstraMonti wrote: »
    There is nothing specific for IPTV in ORBI, but there is nothing in the VF router either.

Now that's interesting. Orbi can have different VLAN ids per port, so I can probably work that out. Any idea of what that vlan id could be? I have already setup the internet port as vlan 10. The only way this could not work is if they are doing any weird vpn tunnels, but I would doubt.

Thank you both!

Looks like you're not the first to try to figure this out:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=110102403

The broadband i have it already connected, I had to put the sn of the router as a username in the PPoE to connect with a vlan10. The TV now.. is interesting. I ll probably put a loopback interface between the vodafone router and tv and try to sniff the traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

The broadband i have it already connected, I had to put the sn of the router as a username in the PPoE to connect with a vlan10. The TV now.. is interesting. I ll probably put a loopback interface between the vodafone router and tv and try to sniff the traffic.

Not sure if the TV delivery will work over PPPoE.

Certainly on OpenEir it does not - must be IPoE.

KildareP wrote: »
    Not sure if the TV delivery will work over PPPoE.

Certainly on OpenEir it does not - must be IPoE.

Ok, the orbi router came up with that recommendation. With EIR i didn't have to do anything, only had to put vlan10 in the settings. Is VF using something else?

Eir deliver everything over IPoE, VID 10. TV is multicast in that path.

I have a vague recollection that somebody posted that VF do it strangely - Internet over PPPoE tunnel to the BRAS and TV locally over multicast. But Im really not firm on that memory. Certainly you cannot receive multicast at the address you lease over PPPoE.

but there is nothing in the VF router either.

Its there on all the Huawei HGs that I know of, VF have just hidden it.

If you connect up the HG again it should show a few lines on one page detailing all the possible WAN connections (ADSL, FTTH, VDSL) and which one is active. That'll be informative as to the default setup.

Its there on all the Huawei HGs that I know of, VF have just hidden it.

If you connect up the HG again it should show a few lines on one page detailing all the possible WAN connections (ADSL, FTTH, VDSL) and which one is active. That'll be informative as to the default setup.

Nope there is nothing. I couldn't see anything. Even bridge mode didn't work with the TV. So I reverted back to default, I killed all services in the VF gigabox, and connected the Orbi as an AP.

However, the TV quality is a bit horrible, only 720p and 1080i. I have streams that are way better than this. What the hell is up with that? I am thinking of cancelling altogether.

Thats ALL tv. Broadcast TV is all 720P/1080i trash. In order to transmit decent bitrate 1080 they'd have to take 2 channels off air to make room for each upscaled channel.

VOD is going to be a problem soon as the network demand scales unlike broadcast. For now though it destroys any live TV. Amazon Prime especially before they reduced the bitrates was really really stellar quality.

• Advertisement

Thats ALL tv. Broadcast TV is all 720P/1080i trash. In order to transmit decent bitrate 1080 they'd have to take 2 channels off air to make room for each upscaled channel.

VOD is going to be a problem soon as the network demand scales unlike broadcast. For now though it destroys any live TV. Amazon Prime especially before they reduced the bitrates was really really stellar quality.

Cheers for that, I haven't had a TV service for the last 4 years so I had no idea things are still the same, and apparently I didn't miss anything. I only got it because of the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

Nope there is nothing. I couldn't see anything. Even bridge mode didn't work with the TV. So I reverted back to default, I killed all services in the VF gigabox, and connected the Orbi as an AP.

However, the TV quality is a bit horrible, only 720p and 1080i. I have streams that are way better than this. What the hell is up with that? I am thinking of cancelling altogether.

Do you not have 2 ethernet setups on the Internet tab like below? I think this may be related.

dam099 wrote: »
    Do you not have 2 ethernet setups on the Internet tab like below? I think this may be related.

No I can't see that. The router and tv box are two different devices. I can't see anything related to iptv or the tv box on the router settings.

Thank you Damo!

That setup is what I was referring to:
    - PPoE CPE<->RAS Public IP, routeable
    - IPoE CPE<->Cab/Exchange private IP, not routable, only used for multicast.

To configure any third party gear you'll need to be able to setup a dual logical WAN like that. Lots of consumer gear probably cannot do that so it'd push you into Ubi/Mikro territory I suspect. Or PFSense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 drjcro

Hi, this is my setup with openwrt-19.07 and tv/internet working
    (fibre-myrouter-lan)

---
    /etc/config/network
    config interface 'loopback'
    option ifname 'lo'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
    option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config interface 'lan'
    option type 'bridge'
    option proto 'static'
    option netmask '255.255.255.0'
    option ip6assign '60'
    option ipaddr '192.168.0.1'
    option stp '1'
    option igmp_snooping '1'
    option ifname 'eth1 eth2 eth3'

config interface 'wan'
    option proto 'pppoe'
    option ifname 'eth0.10'
    option username 'VODAFONE_MODEM_SERIAL\@vfieftth.ie'
    option password 'broadband'
    option ipv6 'auto'

config interface 'wan6'
    option ifname 'eth0'
    option proto 'dhcpv6'

config interface 'iptv'
    option proto 'dhcp'
    option delegate '0'
    option broadcast '1'
    option defaultroute '0'
    option ifname 'eth0.10'
    ---

Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

I'm using a Netgear Orbi RBK50 setup here. I have PPPoE working on VLAN 10 for the WAN connection, but I've lost Vodafone TV. I couldn't get an iota of information from VF Technical Support. I'm beginning to think I can't set it up on this router, and willl need to revert to a 2-box system. Any ideas

Advertisement