Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE2020 - Dun Laoghaire (4 seater)

Options
  • 20-01-2020 2:47pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Candidates are

Mary Mitchell O’Connor (Fine Gael), *
    Cllr. Barry Ward (Fine Gael),
    Cllr. Jennifer Carroll MacNeil (Fine Gael)l,
    Cllr. Cormac Devlin (Fianna Fáil),
    Cllr. Mary Hanafin (Fianna Fail),
    Shane O’Brien (Sinn Féin),
    Cllr. Juliet O’Connell (Labour Party),
    Richard Boyd-Barret (People Before Profit), *
    Cllr. Dave Quinn (Social Democrats)
    Cllr. Ossian Smyth (Green Party),
    Mairéad Tóibín (Aontú)
    John Waters (ACI)

*Outgoing TD

Note: Sean Barrett (FG) retired and Maria Bailey Was deselected by FG.

Care of adriankavanaghelections

So who's Going to Take the 4 Seats?

Who's Getting Your Number 1 89 votes

Barry Ward (FG)
    77% 69 votes
    Cormac Devlin (FF)
    0% 0 votes
    Jennifer Carroll MacNeil (FG)
    3% 3 votes
    John Waters (ACI)
    2% 2 votes
    Juliet O Connell (LAB)
    2% 2 votes
    Mairead Toibin (Aontu)
    0% 0 votes
    Mary Hanafin (FF)
    0% 0 votes
    Mary Mitchell O Connor (FG)
    0% 0 votes
    Ossian Smyth (Green)
    1% 1 vote
    Richard Boyd-Barret (PBP)
    6% 6 votes
    Shane O Brien (SF)
    3% 3 votes
    Dave Quinn (SD)
    1% 1 vote
    Con Og O Laoghaire (IFP)
    2% 2 votes
    Spoil my Vote
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Do we know for certain that Maria Bailey will not run as an independent? Nominations close at noon this Wednesday Jan 22nd.

I think with the expected strong showing by the Greens, FF and FG are doing themselves no favours by running 2 (FF) and 3 (FG) candidates. On a good day and ignoring the poll in yesterday's Sunday Times, FG could just about take two seats with good vote management but you can't do that with three candidates. Before you say that's fantasy, bear in mind that they took two out of the three available seats in 2016 and as now, FG was the outgoing Govt.

Prediction:

Cllr. Ossian Smyth (Green Party)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I think it will be very close between Hanafin and Devlin.

Cllr Devlin has arguably a higher profile locally and certainly less baggage than Hanafin. I think he might just do enough to squeeze her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

coylemj wrote: »

Prediction:

Cllr. Ossian Smyth (Green Party)

I agree with all of that except RBB is very at risk of losing his seat. That 4th seat will be a toss up, either RBB to scrape it or lose to whoever wins the wild game is that is left-friendly-transfers!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I think it will be very close between Hanafin and Devlin.

Cllr Devlin has arguably a higher profile locally and certainly less baggage than Hanafin. I think he might just do enough to squeeze her out.

Yeah , it’s a poor choice to run Hanafin. It was only ten years ago when she bought her mum to work and her mum sued the Dail for a fall she had there.

Devlin deserves it, one if the hardest working cllr in the area

• Advertisement

scrumqueen wrote: »
    I agree with all of that except RBB is very at risk of losing his seat. That 4th seat will be a toss up, either RBB to scrape it or lose to whoever wins the wild game is that is left-friendly-transfers!

What has changed since 2016 when RBB was the first candidate elected? He made it on the sixth count, Maria Bailey and MMOC were elected on the seventh count. This time around, Ossian Smyth (Greens) is probably going to take the first seat based on his party's performance in the local elections but I'd see RBB taking the second seat.

All RBB has to do is sit back and wait for the transfers from other hard left candidates, in particular SF and the Social Democrats. Where else are left wing votes going to go? In 2016, he didn't even need transfers from Labour, he was already over the line when Carrie Smyth was eliminated.

The only potential long term threat to RBB is SF but they have never achieved a decent vote in DLR in recent years and based on their poor performance (3.4%) across the county in the local elections last year, RBB is easily looking at another term in the Dail.

What has changed since 2016 when RBB was the first candidate elected? He made it on the sixth count, Maria Bailey and MMOC were elected on the seventh count.

All RBB has to do is sit back and wait for the transfers from other hard left candidates, in particular SF and the Social Democrats. Where else are left wing votes going to go? In 2016, he didn't even need transfers from Labour, he was already over the line when Carrie Smyth was eliminated.

The only potential long term threat to RBB is SF but they have never achieved a decent vote in DLR in recent years and based on their poor performance (3.4%) across the county in the local elections last year, RBB is easily looking at another term in the Dail.

Poor showing at Local Elections, and the Irish Times has him down to lose his seat and just general chat around the constituency and on the doors.

Look, it's not my preference just what I'm hearing, he will be getting a top 3 preference from me anyway FWIW.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

I’m really surprised about RBB. He seems to be the only one who actually ever does anything for the area. Only issue I have with him is his stance on bus connects. I’ll be giving him a vote anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

For me it's 7 NO, maybe, no, maybe, NO. At least RBB will stick it to the man. Am tempted not to vote but that just helps their egos!!

I’m really surprised about RBB. He seems to be the only one who actually ever does anything for the area. Only issue I have with him is his stance on bus connects. I’ll be giving him a vote anyway.

He loves a good soap box , not sure he gets anything done. Actually he does the opposite, he opposes everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I think Ossian Smyth will top the poll. Followed by in by MMOC, RBB and Cormac Devlin.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Ossian Smyth has been very busy in that constituency for a couple of years and the party surge could help him top the poll.

Mary Mitchell O'Connor will get back in. The other two haven't a hope.

There's one FF seat there. Probably Devlin. Hanafin has a lot of baggage but I wouldn't be shocked if she gets in over Devlin either.

I think Richard Boyd Barret will keep his seat.

Has anyone had any callers yet ?
    I see OS, RBB, CD not sure about the fourth seat. MMOC stood by MB she might suffer for that.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

What has changed since 2016 when RBB was the first candidate elected? He made it on the sixth count, Maria Bailey and MMOC were elected on the seventh count. This time around, Ossian Smyth (Greens) is probably going to take the first seat based on his party's performance in the local elections but I'd see RBB taking the second seat.

Number of factors really,
    Water isnt an issue anymore, People have More Money in their pockets, A sizeable amount of his Vote will go to the Greens, (look at PBP's Vote in the locals in 2019, Who Swayths went across to the greens from PBP)

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Has anyone had any callers yet ?
    I see OS, RBB, CD not sure about the fourth seat. MMOC stood by MB she might suffer for that.

We missed Barry Ward on the 1st night that the election was called (Sandycove).

In other news, the local FG are blaming the Dublin meeja already....

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1219538283367190529?s=19

Peregrine wrote: »
    Ossian Smyth has been very busy in that constituency for a couple of years and the party surge could help him top the poll.

Mary Mitchell O'Connor will get back in. The other two haven't a hope.

There's one FF seat there. Probably Devlin. Hanafin has a lot of baggage but I wouldn't be shocked if she gets in over Devlin either.

I think Richard Boyd Barret will keep his seat.

Ossian Smyth will get a seat, he's a good cc, steady, puts in the work.

Hanafin topped the poll at LE 19, I couldn't believe it, so I would say she's confident enough of getting back in.

However, I did see some twitter chatter about Hanafin being pro life and if it is true and the repeal voters come out and remember that then she would be in trouble, But that is a lot of 'if's'!

I don't recall seeing her at any of the DL 8th meetings.

We missed Barry Ward on the 1st night that the election was called (Sandycove).

In other news, the local FG are blaming the Dublin meeja already....

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1219538283367190529?s=19

I'd Imagine you read an internal Campaign mail from FF/SF/LAB/Etc you'd get roughly the same thing!

Ossian Smyth will get a seat, he's a good cc, steady, puts in the work.

Hanafin topped the poll at LE 19, I couldn't believe it, so I would say she's confident enough of getting back in.

However, I did see some twitter chatter about Hanafin being pro life and if it is true and the repeal voters come out and remember that then she would be in trouble, But that is a lot of 'if's'!

I don't recall seeing her at any of the DL 8th meetings.

Mary Hannifin Was Anti Choice, According to Dun Laoghaire Together for Yes

I'd Imagine you read an internal Campaign mail from FF/SF/LAB/Etc you'd get roughly the same thing!

Mary Hannifin Was Anti Choice, According to Dun Laoghaire Together for Yes

Surprisingly according to Wikipedia so is Cormac. Anyone know if this is true ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Surprisingly according to Wikipedia so is Cormac. Anyone know if this is true ?

He's pro-life/anti-choice according to this website for pro-lifers.
    https://prolifecampaign.ie/main/election2019/dun-laoghaire-rathdown-county-council/

FF are still a very social conservative party. Socially conservative and financially liberal, the worst of both worlds :pac:

I couldn’t give anyone who thinks they know better than the person in the situation a vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭frash

Do we know for certain that Maria Bailey will not run as an independent? Nominations close at noon this Wednesday Jan 22nd.

No late show from Bailey
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/maria-bailey-will-not-seek-re-election-after-extremely-difficult-months-976979.html

John Waters has announced he's running for ACI.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

John Waters has announced he's running for ACI.

Must be the day for clowns announcing.

He's some masochist for the humiliations all the same. Unfortunately as a very small fish in a very big pond this time around, I doubt we will see any of his entertaining lunacy on the airwaves. Unless of course he makes up with Eamonn Dunphy, only to sit down for a chat and tell him to **** off again.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Must be the day for clowns announcing.

He's some masochist for the humiliations all the same. Unfortunately as a very small fish in a very big pond this time around, I doubt we will see any of his entertaining lunacy on the airwaves. Unless of course he makes up with Eamonn Dunphy, only to sit down for a chat and tell him to **** off again.

Christ on a bike, I thought he said he would f*ck off to Spain if repeal passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Christ on a bike, I thought he said he would f*ck off to Spain if repeal passed.

He did. It seems on twitter that many, many people are reminding him of that fact.

People with political ambitions really ought to learn the meaning of the phrase 'hostage to fortune'

Naturally coming back and running in one of the more Pro-Choice Constituencies in the country was the right fit...

Gibney is out, replaced by another SD Cllr

ted1 wrote: »
    Gibney is out, replaced by another SD Cllr

List updated.

that must be a kicker for them, All those posters printed and gone up, then for her to withdraw at the last min!

Official list of candidates for the Dail constituency of Dun Laoghaire ....

https://dublincountyreturningofficer.com/index.php/8-general-information/97-nominated-candidates-2020-dun-laoghaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

that must be a kicker for them, All those posters printed and gone up, then for her to withdraw at the last min!
    Of the 2 posters I saw of hers one was against the council safety rules and the other was illegal as it was blocking the view of traffic lights.

Nothing compared to FG though who are actively targetting ESB poles even though there is a huge choice of places to put them up still.

Advertisement