Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE2020: Kildare North

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

I'm happy the young people decided to come out and vote for change. We've had 100 years of FFG.

Yep, now they might get a chance to see what its like to live on less money when their preferred politicians implement their policies by having to increase taxes and N Kildare looks like it might have 1 or 2 new TDs who have little to no political experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If a company like intel decided to halt building because of opressive tax regimes thatll be needed to build all these free shinner gafs , youd certainly see ‘change’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Yep, now they might get a chance to see what its like to live on less money when their preferred politicians implement their policies by having to increase taxes and N Kildare looks like it might have 1 or 2 new TDs who have little to no political experience.

Problem with this thinking is you are measuring the amount of money in your bank account at the start of the month, but what’s important is what’s left at the end of the month. Having lived and worked in high tax countries, I can see that having a functional housing policy and a working health care system really makes you feel much wealthier.

If a company like intel decided to halt building because of opressive tax regimes thatll be needed to build all these free shinner gafs , youd certainly see ‘change’

SF aren’t going to be a dictatorship, most likely a junior partner in coalition, over that time they’ll pull more into the centre ground. Enough with hysterical posting on here, can we keep the thread about the count and not the policies?

Valhallapt wrote: »
    SF aren’t going to be a dictatorship, most likely a junior partner in coalition, over that time they’ll pull more into the centre ground. Enough with hysterical posting on here, can we keep the thread about the count and not the policies?

A potential Green Party TD with less than 1 year as a local councillor and a Sinn Feiner who didnt attend a hustings at Maynooth University, one of the largest employers in N Kildare. There's nothing hysterical about the practicalities of where the abolished €3000 third level registration fee will come from, monies left in citizens bank accounts at the end of each month is dependent on net income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

A potential Green Party TD with less than 1 year as a local councillor and a Sinn Feiner who didnt attend a hustings at Maynooth University, one of the largest employers in N Kildare. There's nothing hysterical about the practicalities of where the abolished €3000 third level registration fee will come from, monies left in citizens bank accounts at the end of each month is dependent on net income.

The Green is a senior counsel , think anyone would be better than dopey Frank or Liam the liar.

The Green is a senior counsel , think anyone would be better than dopey Frank or Liam the liar.

I agree with you about O'Rourke, I've no idea who 'Liam' is. Martin is still an inexperienced politician and that is not ideal for N Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Seems FF and FG people are afraid of the threat of SF actually improving things.

Its an unknown but given the performance of the Government a risk people are willing to take. Time will tell.

Be no problem my nephew would get your gaff when you're sent off to the Mary Loubyanka

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

Well, Martin has had a good deal of experience as town councillor up in Monaghan. At the same time he has a mixed enough background (student politics, law, then a dalliance with David Hall and the debt write down mob).

Surprised at those that think this is some kind of left swing. SF are more am ethnic nationalist/populist party who just happened to be in the right place at the right time with a giveaway programme for government.

• Advertisement

Results of count 1

Catherine Murphy (SD) 9808 Reada Cronin (SF) 8705 James Lawless (FF) 7029 Frank O'Rourke (FF) 6336 Bernard Durkin (FG) 5447 Vincent P Martin (Gn) 5100 Anthony Lawlor (FG) 3621 Emmett Stagg (Lab) 2751 No one elected first count

Paul Mahon Sol-PBP David Monaghan Ind Seamus O'Riain (RN) Wayne Swords Ind eliminated

Electorate 81884 Total Poll 51327 Spoilt 382 Valid 50945 Quota 10,190

Lifted from RTÉ twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You don't see many quadruple eliminations; nor do you often have everyone left for count 2 already having their expenses (quarter quota) before any transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Results of count 1

Catherine Murphy (SD) 9808 Reada Cronin (SF) 8705 James Lawless (FF) 7029 Frank O'Rourke (FF) 6336 Bernard Durkin (FG) 5447 Vincent P Martin (Gn) 5100 Anthony Lawlor (FG) 3621 Emmett Stagg (Lab) 2751 No one elected first count

Paul Mahon Sol-PBP David Monaghan Ind Seamus O'Riain (RN) Wayne Swords Ind eliminated

Electorate 81884 Total Poll 51327 Spoilt 382 Valid 50945 Quota 10,190

Lifted from RTÉ twitter

Reada Cronin is very able and will be an addition to the dail in any formation. As will Catherine Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Tomrota wrote: »
    I don’t know how Fine Gael can call the economy good when:
    People can’t afford housing in record numbers.
    Record levels of people on trolleys. Dismal healthcare system. And we call ourselves a wealthy left wing country?
    Complete underfunding of the prison, courts and law enforcement system. Increasing crime (especially on public transport).
    Gross fiscal mismanagement with the children’s hospital.
    And to top this all off we still have to sit on the M50 for four and a half hours every day and so much more.

The economy is only good in terms of figures. The Irish people don’t care for Fine Gael’s neoliberalism.
    Scoundrel wrote: »
    It's great to see the FF FG stranglehold on the county finally broken a truly wonderful day

I really don't understand the misery that is being perpetuated in this election campaign. The UN has just ranked us as the third best standard of living in the world. Yes, the homeless situation is bad, and FG deserve a bit of a kicking for that, but I think they were finally start to make progress on it.

The healthcare situation has never been addressed, so maybe this is as good as it gets? I see healthcare is a problem in most countries. Despite this, I can't see how any of this could make a reasonable, ethical, law abiding citizen vote for SF, with their very murky past (and present), serious questions over their internal decision making structure, and a manifesto which offers free money to every category of person, thereby making it fanciful at best???

Reada Cronin loses her county council seat 9 months ago with 510 votes, and then comes second in the general election with 9808 first preference votes!!! And by the evidence here, with practically no canvassing. It beggars belief......

2nd Count Catherine Murphy (SD)+372 (10,180) Reada Cronin (SF)+487 (9192), James Lawless (FF)+117 (7146),
    Frank O'Rourke +260 (6596), Bernard Durkin (FG)+75 5522, Vincent P Martin+373 (5473), Anthony Lawlor (FG)+72 (3693) Emmett Stagg (Lab) elim No QUOTA REACHED

Looking very tight on the last seat, still impossible to call

It would be ridiculous if they stop at 11.

BaronVon wrote: »
    I really don't understand the misery that is being perpetuated in this election campaign. The UN has just ranked us as the third best standard of living in the world. Yes, the homeless situation is bad, and FG deserve a bit of a kicking for that, but I think they were finally start to make progress on it.

The healthcare situation has never been addressed, so maybe this is as good as it gets? I see healthcare is a problem in most countries. Despite this, I can't see how any of this could make a reasonable, ethical, law abiding citizen vote for SF, with their very murky past (and present), serious questions over their internal decision making structure, and a manifesto which offers free money to every category of person, thereby making it fanciful at best???

Reada Cronin loses her county council seat 9 months ago with 510 votes, and then comes second in the general election with 9808 first preference votes!!! And by the evidence here, with practically no canvassing. It beggars belief......

SFs past is no worse imo opinion than FFG. FFG protected the paedos in the RC church and helped mother and baby homes profit from selling babies of young girls. FF destroyed our economy. They helped drive hundreds of thousands into arrears and out of the country through emigration. They inflicted the temporary USC on us. How many suicides were a direct cause of the crash? Marriage and family breakups? FFG have squandered billions on the NCH. A national brodband plan which hust isnt going to work in its current guise yet they want to buy votes. 10000 homeless although the unofficial figure is much higher. Insurance through the roof. Interest rates on Mortgages highest in Europe. Hospitals and waiting lists in ****e. TDs trying to sue for falling off ****ing swings. Women dying because routine cancer tests were done wrong and then the delay in telling them

Yeh but according to the UN things are great.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

SFs past is no worse imo opinion than FFG. FFG protected the paedos in the RC church and helped mother and baby homes profit from selling babies of young girls. FF destroyed our economy. They helped drive hundreds of thousands into arrears and out of the country through emigration. They inflicted the temporary USC on us. How many suicides were a direct cause of the crash? Marriage and family breakups? FFG have squandered billions on the NCH. A national brodband plan which hust isnt going to work in its current guise yet they want to buy votes. 10000 homeless although the unofficial figure is much higher. Insurance through the roof. Interest rates on Mortgages highest in Europe. Hospitals and waiting lists in ****e. TDs trying to sue for falling off ****ing swings. Women dying because routine cancer tests were done wrong and then the delay in telling them

Yeh but according to the UN things are great.....

A bit of perspective. The first half happened when FF/Greens were in power. Both doing quite well, so people have short memories.

As for the interest rates. I don't really get this. The Irish banks were reckless yet the average interest rate here is just over 3%, compared to Germany where it's 1.85%. That's fook all difference, and the Irish banks have to recoup their losses somehow. We were paying more (just shy of 4%) in 2000 when we bought our house, and we didn't suffer for it. My parents were paying 14% in the 80s. That was something to complain about.

Mortgage rates are the highest in Europe because the security is terrible (because it is incredibly difficult to repossess from a non-payer); yet many of the same people who call for mortgage rates to be cut also call for no repossessions.

ANY European bank can offer mortgages here if they want to. They don't, because there is no profit to be made at lower rates. Its not a local bank cabal, its an unprofitable market.

L1011 wrote: »
    Mortgage rates are the highest in Europe because the security is terrible (because it is incredibly difficult to repossess from a non-payer); yet many of the same people who call for mortgage rates to be cut also call for no repossessions.

ANY European bank can offer mortgages here if they want to. They don't, because there is no profit to be made at lower rates. Its not a local bank cabal, its an unprofitable market.

If FF hadnt of ruined the economy then arrears and home owners rights wouldnt be an issue.

I for one dont believe that the banks would lower interest rates and reduce their profits even if they could take homes.

• Advertisement

If FF hadnt of ruined the economy then arrears and home owners rights wouldnt be an issue.

I for one dont believe that the banks would lower interest rates and reduce their profits even if they could take homes.

The volume of arrears on old mortgages does not impact the awful security provided on new ones.

If there was money to be made there would be European banks pouring in

They aren't.

Get a grip, please.

The volume of arrears on old mortgages does not impact the awful security provided on new ones.

If there was money to be made there would be European banks pouring in

They aren't.

Get a grip, please.

So you think banks would lower the standard variable if security could be enforced?

So you think banks would lower the standard variable if security could be enforced?

Yes, because there would be rival providers pouring in to get the business. Why lend at a negative figure in Denmark when you can make 2% easily in Ireland?

They aren't coming in now because there is basically no security on the debt. Irish borrowers get a phenomenal rate for such a poorly secured debt.

Markets are totally open in the EU for many things, this being one. I buy my electricity and gas off the Spanish Government's power firm - because they recognised there was an opportunity to undercut others in Ireland. But mortgage rates and insurance are dear due to our own problems.

Pick lower mortgage rates or no family home repossessions. You can't have both. SF love offering both in these kind of splits.

Lawlor out (so much for ideas he's replace Durkan, not that Durkan is home safe, not that anyones predictions were any use) and count suspended til 9am.

n97 mini wrote: »
    The Irish banks were reckless yet the average interest rate here is just over 3%, compared to Germany where it's 1.85%. That's fook all difference

Clearly never heard of compound interest. 🀣

Lawlor out (so much for ideas he's replace Durkan, not that Durkan is home safe, not that anyones predictions were any use) and count suspended til 9am.

I presume Lawlor will transfer heavily to durkan, but perhaps there is a local factor to favour naas candidates....

I presume Lawlor will transfer heavily to durkan, but perhaps there is a local factor to favour naas candidates....

A little of both will apply there. But he won't transfer heavily to O'Rourke.

Now, if O'Rourke is out - will he try force Coleman aside to get back on the council or will we maybe be spared seeing his visage off every building site for a while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Glad to see FF overtake catherine murphy but surprised orourke is out behind lawless

What do you mean overtake? They have two candidates and in 2016 FF got 27% to Catherine's 22% as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I was looking at Lawlor's count - he's transferring heavily to Durkan - more than enough to carry him over the line imo. Frank is gone - he didn't even come out to the count centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Clearly never heard of compound interest. 🀣

That's the thing! I'm on 3% interest rate mortgage. First year we paid roughly 15k, 11k of that was interest! Where's the 3% there!

Banks have been creaming it since 2015. They're all back in profit and they won't be bringing down their lending rates any time soon as there's a nice little monopoly in place.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement