Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE2020: Kildare North

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

ShyMets wrote: »
    Is O'Rourke not gone. Lawless is ahead of him and their are no more candidates to eliminate.

I thought so, but the returning officer didn't announce it. Thought they might redistribute Cronin and Durkan's extras.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BaronVon wrote: »
    I thought so, but the returning officer didn't announce it. Thought they might redistribute Cronin and Durkan's extras.

Only done when it can change the result or affect expenses. Neither possible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Well don't want to see anybody out of a job in fairness. Felt the same way about Stagg too.

On the plus side Frank will be getting his posters down quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

L1011 wrote: »
    Mortgage rates are the highest in Europe because the security is terrible

That too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Genuinely never thought I’d see they day Kildare North would elect a SF TD. I would have bet the house on that not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Genuinely never thought I’d see they day Kildare North would elect a SF TD. I would have bet the house on that not happening.

Yeah it's a major change 2 SF TD's in the county really indicative of the SF surge as long as I can remember the county has always been FF FG Labour and in more recent times Catherine Murphy the big challenge for SF is to deliver in government now I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Whoever will bring photographers to the openings of envelopes in Celbridge now?

The Liffey Champion will be devastated Naoise will have to pick up the slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

A candidate that had little or no campaign in Celbridge, Maynooth or leixlip...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

At yet despite the cow calving in Ardclough he was never around either of the two estates in Kilcock that I have lived in the past 4 years and wasn't around a couple of estates in Celbridge either.

A guy like that needs to be knocking on doors. The Kildare politicians don't do much door knocking compared to the Dublin ones.

I would be a bit happier if David Monahan had kept his expenses and he might have if he had run as Kildare Mental Health Action Group or something. I only found out who he is afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Scoundrel wrote: »
    The Liffey Champion will be devastated Naoise will have to pick up the slack.

Champion is an FF rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Trump - Johnson - SF (not surprised)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Happy enough Martin went. Being Green is a great luxury especially if you have the money.

Didnt like his interview with the brother in law amd sister on RTE.

The first SF TD elected in Kildare north since Domhnall Ua Buachalla a truly historic day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

The first SF TD elected in Kildare north since Domhnall Ua Buachalla a truly historic day.

A different Sinn Fein unless you think she will transition into FF also ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Glad they beat out the greens but I cant see it as a reason to celebrate.

Just out of curiosity what is people’s problem with the greens? I was disappointed Martin didn’t take the fourth seat. Overall I think SF will be good for Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Just out of curiosity what is people’s problem with the greens? I was disappointed Martin didn’t take the fourth seat. Overall I think SF will be good for Kildare.

SF good for Kildare? She has been non existent to now, carried through on a wave of populism.

mloc123 wrote: »
    SF good for Kildare? She has been non existent to now, carried through on a wave of populism.

I was speaking more of the party policies, I accept she phoned it in alright! I’m not sure I subscribe to the populism thing though, feels different to Brexit and trump, in those scenarios they made up fake problems like foreigners taking jobs and loss of prestige, SF identified dysfunctional health and housing problems that are widely accepted. As to there solution, well time will tell if they can improve it

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »

Ive found her very approachable around Maynooth and had her at the door a few times. I think Reada is very articulate like Mary Lou. Fair play to her.

It cam be argued that lawless,durkan and orourke have been absent for years.

Rosahane wrote: »
    A different Sinn Fein unless you think she will transition into FF also ;)

The Sinn Féin organisation continued on many members left to form FF ,Ua Buachalla included but SF itself continued on and won 5 seats in the 1927 election but obviously didnt take them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Yes anti car, he might be fine for those who live on a train line and get to dublin but theres a hell of a lot of people in KN who need a car for work and there will never be an alternative
    It is yet we still have heavy car relliance, its a constituency that proves the green proposals cant work , we have all the options yet still need cars

A reliance that will have to change or else be prepared to start paying for it. I say this as a car user.
    Happy enough Martin went. Being Green is a great luxury especially if you have the money.

Didnt like his interview with the brother in law amd sister on RTE.

Yes being 'Green' and deciding that people should have nice things and now have to pay to keep those nice things is a luxury.

People are inherently self centred and dislike the idea of having to pay more now for how little they and past generations have given about the environment.

lordgoat wrote: »
    A reliance that will have to change or else be prepared to start paying for it. I say this as a car user.

Yes being 'Green' and deciding that people should have nice things and now have to pay to keep those nice things is a luxury.

People are inherently self centred and dislike the idea of having to pay more now for how little they and past generations have given about the environment.

To summarise it’s the possible extra taxation?

To summarise it’s the possible extra taxation?

People are tapped out. Id love to be greener.

I cant afford it.

People are tapped out. Id love to be greener.

I cant afford it.

I wonder at these the same people who are on this thread saying 3.5% mortgage interest isn’t much more more than 1.8%?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

The Sinn Féin organisation continued on many members left to form FF ,Ua Buachalla included but SF itself continued on and won 5 seats in the 1927 election but obviously didnt take them.

What called itself Sinn Fein split about half a dozen times between 1927 and the split that turned into Provisional Sinn Fein aka the provos in 1971.

A few times, including between the 1970’s and early 1980’s there were two Sinn Féin’s.

There is absolutely no correlation or connection between the original Sinn Fein and the current organisation!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

anewme wrote: »
    It’s really a protest vote. People are totally disenchanted. I looked at the ballot paper and there was literally no choice. I still didn’t vote SF though.

The problem with these protest votes is that they usually end in disaster.

First BREXIT, then Trump, this is the same. Can’t see it being positive.

for sure.

the Exit Poll even showed that SF voters are most in favour of reducing taxes, rather than increasing spending on services, which is completely at odds with SF's manifesto.

It's quite clear that most SF voters don't really have a clue what the party stands for, and are voting to give FF/FG a kicking.

and whether it's Reada in KN, or the guy in Limerick who thinks the moon landings were a hoax, or various other candidates who couldn't even manage to get elected as councillors last year, people were prepared to vote for ANYONE with (Sinn Fein) beside them on the ballot paper.

https://twitter.com/RMcGreevy1301/status/1226849060155465728

EQakrvpX0AAbLXp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

oscar wilde once said when the gods want to punish us they answer our prayers.

The people votes for SF and we have the chance that Mary Lou could lead the next government. To me the weight on her shoulders is more then others before. SF have spent years on the opposition benches saying that could fix the issues now they have to prove it. If they can do what they say in their manifesto we have a 3 party system going forwad. If they fail it could put them back to the opposition benches for a long time. Most their vote this time is loaned so they need to give people a reason not to float back away from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

looking at the pre election query about how far down you should vote.

If you voted as follows you vote would have been used 5 times in this count

1. O'Rian, Mahon, Monaghan, Swords
    2. Stagg
    3. Lawlor
    4. Martin
    5, Cronin, Durkan, Lawless and O'Rouke

This is the most where you can be certain that your vote traveled. I have multipy people listed at 1 and 6 as they all finish in the same count.

If was possible to travel 6 times if your was one of the murphy votes that was distributed.

1. O'Rian, Mahon, Monaghan, Swords
    2. Stagg
    3. Murphy
    4. Lawlor
    5. Martin
    6. Cronin, Durkan, Lawless and O'Rouke

Looking at the second grouping if the people listed 1-5 were 1-8 on your paper. Your 9th preference would have been used to help the first 3 in point 6 stay ahead of O'Rourke.

Advertisement