Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE2020: Kildare North

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

PR-STV is not about how many times your vote moves. It's about listing your preferred candidates above others. If you favourite candidate was Lawless for example and you gave him #1 your vote didn't travel but your preferred candidate got a seat. That's the important thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

https://kfmradio.com/news/11022020-1135/listen-680-children-kildare-region-experiencing-delays-assessment-need

If anyone is still wondering why people voted for change in huge numbers. High tax and shambolic services.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

https://kfmradio.com/news/11022020-1135/listen-680-children-kildare-region-experiencing-delays-assessment-need

If anyone is still wondering why people voted for change in huge numbers. High tax and shambolic services.
    I'll refer you to the earlier tweet...

https://twitter.com/RMcGreevy1301/status/1226849060155465728

I'll refer you to the current state of public services in the country.

I dont mind paying high tax if it reflected in our services. It is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I'll refer you to the current state of public services in the country.

I dont mind paying high tax if it reflected in our services. It is not.

Then people like you could have voted Social Democrats, and not a shady, pretending to be left wing, populist party.

SF promised the magic money tree, and voters believed them! Now, let's see if they have the magic beans......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

BaronVon wrote: »
    Then people like you could have voted Social Democrats, and not a shady, pretending to be left wing, populist party.

SF promised the magic money tree, and voters believed them! Now, let's see if they have the magic beans......

Rubbish the socdems will never be in a position to change anything too small a party

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Rubbish the socdems will never be in a position to change anything too small a party

Lets see how SF promise on their fantasy land manifesto... :pac:

Scoundrel wrote: »

FFG were big enough to change things. They never did though.

Let's see if a party with no previous experience and a poor record in the north can fix the issues no government before them could

Theres a reason for that they didnt want to FG are free market who believe if the market I.e their landlord buddies determine its 1800 to rent a 1 bed then so be it no state correction will be provided and as for FF as bent as a 2 bob note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

not really true, is it. lots of things changed under both of them.

and as for housing:
    We just had an election about housing. So here's the completed housing stats https://cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/ndc/newdwellingcompletionsq42019/
    Apartments up 59.6% and property completions up over 18% in general.

The unfinished planned, mid-stream and near done homes will mean that whoever forms the next government will have the advantage of a massive pipeline that they can instantly claim credit for as it drops. In housing terms that the signing bonus of your dreams.

https://twitter.com/karldeeter/status/1227243248202047488

https://twitter.com/karldeeter/status/1227244747309359111

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

not really true, is it. lots of things changed under both of them.

and as for housing:

https://twitter.com/karldeeter/status/1227243248202047488

https://twitter.com/karldeeter/status/1227244747309359111

I'm reminded of the following from the Mahon tribunal:

Gogarty had asked Bailey if he would get a receipt for the money. Bailey’s response was succinct - "will we f**k"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Bernard Durkan for Ceann Comhairle. Let's make it happen!

North Kildare one of only 4 seats in the country with 2 woman TDs.

Highest turnout in the country in Kilcock!

Inspirational constituency!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

And a pretty good thread in fairness, some very good contributions throughout!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Bernard Durkan for Ceann Comhairle. Let's make it happen!!

I'd rather not. Means he's guaranteed a seat next time out. He's a bit on the old side already so would be very old to do 2 full terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

daheff wrote: »
    I'd rather not. Means he's guaranteed a seat next time out. He's a bit on the old side already so would be very old to do 2 full terms.
    He's an Irish Bercow !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

North Kildare one of only 4 seats in the country with 2 woman TDs.
    Did anyone vote for a candidate based on their gender? I certainly didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

He's an Irish Bercow !

He is in his hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Bernard Durkan for Ceann Comhairle. Let's make it happen!
    He's an Irish Bercow !

The only place he should be is out to graze.

What has he ever done for North Kildare?

He should of took retirement and let new fresh thinking into politics.

Same ole every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

If I'm not mistaken, Durkan has been an elected TD for my entire lifetime, as far as I can tell there's no evidence of him existing other than election time - I can't fathom why anyone in my age demo would vote for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,796 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Durkan was first elected in 1981 and briefly lost his seat (and then got in the Seanad) in between the twin elections 82 so misses out on the Father of the House title cause of that.

He has taken the last seat more than once. Was a Junior Minister for 3 years, that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

L1011 wrote: »
    Durkan was first elected in 1981 and briefly lost his seat (and then got in the Seanad) in between the twin elections 82 so misses out on the Father of the House title cause of that.

He has taken the last seat more than once. Was a Junior Minister for 3 years, that's about it.

I think Durkan and stagg have a similar issue. They have bulit their lives around politics. If you take the politics away they dont know what to do with themselves. That is the only reason I see for Stagg running this time and not someone like Galvin.

Durkan I cant see not running he will either lose his seat and be carried out of the dail. Which for someone in Politics that long it is kinda a sad way to go. He may step aside next time and allow his son to take over the family business but i dont see it would have expected that this time unless he does not want the son to run against lawlor

Champion has the Frank story now, too late for the elements of his vote that were "family values" to run away. I suspect they had it all along

There were more than a handful of Renua/Monaghan/Frank only anti abortion voters papers in boxes - not enough to get anyone elected clearly!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

can you explain - what Frank story?
    Is there something that hadn't come out before the election?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

can you explain - what Frank story?
    Is there something that hadn't come out before the election?

Let’s just say frank had been spreading himself around the constituency a bit and not in a parliamentary way...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Damn their lack of online material!

L1011 wrote: »
    Champion has the Frank story now, too late for the elements of his vote that were "family values" to run away. I suspect they had it all along

There were more than a handful of Renua/Monaghan/Frank only anti abortion voters papers in boxes - not enough to get anyone elected clearly!

Any chance of a picture of the article?

Edit: nevermind - Front page

The claim about resigning rather than working with SF is quite hilarious. He'd have sat on his hands then claimed to have negotiated the deal!

He was always hands on with his constituents alright was Frank

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Let’s just say frank had been spreading himself around the constituency a bit and not in a parliamentary way...

Only thing I cared about in that story is that it's over a year since he moved out. Which means he's been claiming the wrong expenses for over a year. His currently residence entitles him to 9k. But he was still claiming 23k.

Advertisement