Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE2020: Kildare North

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Orion wrote: »
    Only thing I cared about in that story is that it's over a year since he moved out. Which means he's been claiming the wrong expenses for over a year. His currently residence entitles him to 9k. But he was still claiming 23k.

hmm, Raphaels now? adds 1km on to his commute... via M4 :) Sure you couldn't expect him to try and get over the bridge in the mornings.

It looks like he might yet get another chance in a few weeks/months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

mloc123 wrote: »
    hmm, Raphaels now? adds 1km on to his commute... via M4 :) Sure you couldn't expect him to try and get over the bridge in the mornings.

It looks like he might yet get another chance in a few weeks/months anyway.

but but but....Frank listed his home address as his constituency office on the main street in his application to run for the Election :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

I believe the pat mustard character in fr Ted was based on frank

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Only thing I cared about in that story is that it's over a year since he moved out. Which means he's been claiming the wrong expenses for over a year. His currently residence entitles him to 9k. But he was still claiming 23k.

And you wonder why people voted for change from the monopoly parties. They've had it too easy for too long.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Im not sure why anyones personal life, including a TDs is being idebated or gossiped about on Boards. No place for it to be fair.

And im not an FF voter. SF all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Im not sure why anyones personal life, including a TDs is being is being debated or gossiped about on Boards. No place for it to be fair.

When the personal life of a public representative may show them as a hypocrite, then yes it should be discussed.

Rulmeq wrote: »
    When the personal life of a public representative may show them as a hypocrite, then yes it should be discussed.

Wrong. How would it show him as a hypocrite?

His marriage or seperation has nothing to do with politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

It does when he's voting against rights for others, on the basis of his religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I'm not in KN ( KS ) so only know whats uploaded here, but where is FO'R's personal life mentioned anywhere here ( I am referring to marriage). I will say one thing though, I was over in Leixlip this morning for a GAA match ( My Daughter was playing ) and the only posters I saw in the area were from FO'R...

Not a great reflection TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

How can an ordinary citizen support Durkan for Ceann Comhairle?

• Advertisement

I dont think anyone here knows anything factual about FORs life. All rumours, gossip and nosey know alls.

It's in the Champion.

Don't see how it's any of our business.

Anyway Durkan for Ceann Comhairle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Im not sure why anyones personal life, including a TDs is being idebated or gossiped about on Boards. No place for it to be fair.

I agree. However if a TD is claiming more expenses than entitled to that is a fair discussion. Him splitting from his wife or living with another woman is nobody's business but theirs.

It's in the Champion.

Don't see how it's any of our business.

Anyway Durkan for Ceann Comhairle!

You really want an 80 year old TD?

I'm not in KN ( KS ) so only know whats uploaded here, but where is FO'R's personal life mentioned anywhere here ( I am referring to marriage). I will say one thing though, I was over in Leixlip this morning for a GAA match ( My Daughter was playing ) and the only posters I saw in the area were from FO'R...

Not a great reflection TBH.

Massive billboard still up at Maynooth Business Park. That's not litter as it's on private land but I'm sick of looking at it.

Lots of posters between Dublin Road and Easton roundabout and approaching Celbridge. All FOR.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You really want an 80 year old TD?
    Why not?

(I don't want Durkan!)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,795 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Frank's large format posters at the Celbridge Road / Straffan Road junction in Maynooth have left lumps of wood behind just the right size to seriously injure the mower driver next time its cut. The wind has left posters strewn randomly for everyone so not going to point fingers at anyone there; but this is an actual human safety risk.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

L1011 wrote: »
    Frank's large format posters at the Celbridge Road / Straffan Road junction in Maynooth have left lumps of wood behind just the right size to seriously injure the mower driver next time its cut. The wind has left posters strewn randomly for everyone so not going to point fingers at anyone there; but this is an actual human safety risk.

I really wish they'd get rid of election posters altogether.
    Have each candidate fill out a templated submission that gets published online, so that policy positions can be easily compared across the candidates in each constituency. Have printed versions available in post offices for those few people not online. Level the playing field and make it easier for voters to make informed decisions. Should be under the Electoral Commission's remit, if it ever gets set up.

fitz wrote: »
    I really wish they'd get rid of election posters altogether.
    Have each candidate fill out a templated submission that gets published online, so that policy positions can be easily compared across the candidates in each constituency. Have printed versions available in post offices for those few people not online. Level the playing field and make it easier for voters to make informed decisions. Should be under the Electoral Commission's remit, if it ever gets set up.
    Elelction posters help children begin to engage with democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

All posters need to be gone today to avoid fines.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mossad-ended-jeremy-corbyn-campaign-tweets-new-sinn-fein-td-reada-cronin-x9vg8s39m
    Réada Cronin, a newly elected Sinn Fein TD, accused the Israeli secret service of “sinister” interference in the UK general election to ensure defeat for Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour Party. She made the claims on Twitter two months ago.

Cronin, a Sinn Fein councillor from 2014 to 2019, when she lost her seat, has repeatedly alleged Labour’s defeat was partly due to Mossad, the Israeli secret service.

On November 30, in response to a tweet calling Corbyn an “anti-semite”, Cronin wrote: “Mossad. Interference. In. The. British. Election. Brits. Being. Led. By. The. Nose.” On December 12, the day of the election, Cronin tweeted: “Mossad have involved themselves in dirty tricks in elections not too far away”.

When a tweeter who identified himself as a “UK Jew” said her assertion was laughable, Cronin dismissed him as a “Mossad-bot” and added: “When the Nazis come back and they are on the march it’ll be Jeremy Corbyn [that] will stand with you. You are a disgrace to your forefathers.”

After the exit poll showed the Conservatives would win, Cronin tweeted: “So sorry for Jeremy Corbyn. A decent, principled man done down by lies, deceit, fake news and the sinister activities of Mossad Secret Service.” She added Mossad’s “interference” was “blatant as f***”.

Asked last week if she still believed this, Cronin issued a reply through the Sinn Fein press office, saying “these were throwaway remarks”.

The Israeli embassy in Dublin said: “Everyone should be disturbed by newly elected Sinn Fein TD Réada Cronin’s history of comments that consist of paranoid, hate-driven conspiracy theories. We hope that Sinn Fein will distance itself from her comments.”

Asked to respond, a Sinn Fein spokesman said: “I understand these were throwaway remarks. They do not represent the views of Sinn Fein.”

In tweets from 2012, Cronin labelled Fine Gael as “scum of the earth” and said Phil Hogan, then a minister but now Ireland’s EU trade commissioner, was a “sociopathic scumbag”.

Gideon Falter, head of UK charity Campaign Against Antisemitism, said Cronin had shown herself unfit for public life. “Conspiracy theories about Mossad are the standard fare of far-left anti-semites,” he said.

Alan Shatter, a former Fine Gael minister who was one of the few Jewish politicians in Ireland, said he understood how “decent people with genuine concerns” who were “understandably disillusioned by the fakery and incompetence of Fine Gael and Fianna Fail” backed Cronin’s party in the election.

“They voted for the Sinn Fein brand without any real knowledge of the candidates they elected and their views,” he said. “The deputy should publicly detail her evidence that Mossad was responsible for Corbyn’s defeat. In the absence of such evidence, she should publicly apologise for her tweet and delete it.”

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Stupid tweet but I have even less time and respect for Israel than I do for SF.

Pure Murdoch hatchet article. Reada is anything but an anti-Semite

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Pure Murdoch hatchet article. Reada is anything but an anti-Semite
    Did she not tweet that stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I understand from Twitter that Cronin was (maybe still is) pals with and a supporter of Gemma O'Doherty? Would explain the conspiracy theory aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

We need the likes of her representing Kildare like a hole in the head.

This SF vote for 'change' across the Country is going to backfire spectacularly.

Already, we've got that woman in Clare who wouldn't pay a charity, the Tiocfaidh Ar La and Up the Ra Crowd, and now this nutter.

People want this crowd running the Country?

anewme wrote: »

This SF vote for 'change' across the Country is going to backfire spectacularly.

Already, we've got that woman in Clare who wouldn't pay a charity, the Tiocfaidh Ar La and Up the Ra Crowd, and now this nutter.

So more of FFG then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Did she not tweet that stuff?

Does being anti-Israeli foreign policy make one an anti-semite? The attempt by some to conflate those two very distinct worldviews is extremely cynical, though apparently quite effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

So more of FFG then?

No I didn't vote them either. I stood and looked at the ballot paper and was about to walk out.

I voted for the candidate who did work for our area. It was all I could do.

There is a need for change - a new party and people are fed up, but for those who think it cant get worse, it absolutely can.

I'd rather FFG than SF as a lesser evil.

But still...meh.

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »

Yes please.

Advertisement