Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE2020: Kildare North

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

ShyMets wrote: »
    With Sinn Fein surging in the polls does anyone reckon Réada Cronin has a chance.

it is an interesting point and one that is being over looked.

Looking at the LE19 SF polled 9.48% nationally and 4.46% in Kildare. Assuming SF poll 25% nationally would mean 11.76% (assuming same ratio) in Kildare North which would leave her outside a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

With Sinn Fein surging in the polls does anyone reckon Réada Cronin has a chance.
    Is she popular in Clane?

If I thought she had a chance I would give her a preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Not a big FG fan but I will give Lawlor a preference as he's the only one who bothered to call and made promises on sorting out the ring road. Apart from that I'll be voting Sinn Fein number one.

Lawlor is the only candidate that I have anytime for.

Looking at who I will give my preferences to so I can avoid helping O’Rourke, Stagg and Durkan and could find out nothing about the SF candidate Cronin other than her election flyer. Nothing about her record as a councillor or about any community, charity or trade union work. Strange given community activism is how most people get involved in politics!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I dont agree. You can vote however you want for any reason you want
    Indeed you can but don't then complain because the policies they enact when in government go against what you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Rosahane wrote: »
    Lawlor is the only candidate that I have anytime for.

Looking at who I will give my preferences to so I can avoid helping O’Rourke, Stagg and Durkan and could find out nothing about the SF candidate Cronin other than her election flyer. Nothing about her record as a councillor or about any community, charity or trade union work. Strange given community activism is how most people get involved in politics!

I agree with you about Lawlor I will be giving him a preference ; it's a dilemma Fine Gael have been hijacked by economic terrorists but still have many many decent members and even politicians.

Reada Cronin has been heavily involved in campaigning for Gaelscoilleanna (including scoil Ui Riada) and also helped set up that first repsonders training thing (there's a class in Kilcock this Saturday I think).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

scheister wrote: »
    it is an interesting point and one that is being over looked.

Looking at the LE19 SF polled 9.48% nationally and 4.46% in Kildare. Assuming SF poll 25% nationally would mean 11.76% (assuming same ratio) in Kildare North which would leave her outside a seat.

I don't think she'll take a seat but I do expect her to get a solid vote. Although she does seem to be running a low key campaign. I'm in the Leixlip area and I don't recall seeing a poster or even having a flyer through the door

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

still don't see it, she'll probably be in the hunt for the last seat, but I'd imagine other candidates will be far more transfer friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think she'll take a seat but I do expect her to get a solid vote. Although she does seem to be running a low key campaign. I'm in the Leixlip area and I don't recall seeing a poster or even having a flyer through the door

Its questionable if she's running a campaign at all. During the locals she had some very vocal pluggers on social media; nothing at all now.

Better than the candidate in Kildare South going on holidays for the bulk of the campaign though!

L1011 wrote: »
    Its questionable if she's running a campaign at all. During the locals she had some very vocal pluggers on social media; nothing at all now.

Better than the candidate in Kildare South going on holidays for the bulk of the campaign though!

Makes you wonder why she is even running if she doesn't even seem to be putting in the effort to campaign. Maybe I'm wrong and she is being very active just not in Leixlip for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I gotta say I admire her confidence. Clearly the seat is considered to be "in the bag" already. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭hero001

Not a big FG fan but I will give Lawlor a preference as he's the only one who bothered to call and made promises on sorting out the ring road. Apart from that I'll be voting Sinn Fein number one.

When Lawlor says he will sort out the ring road, what does he mean? I know that he was fully supportive of the last, not very well though out plan, which would have moved most of the traffic out of the town centre and into residential areas, which was voted down by the councillors, despite the best efforts of KCC. He also says one of his priorities is to have the get the Naas Area Plan sorted! Although I agree that both these issues need to be dealt with, it's hard to see how he can do this as a TD, given the these are council issues. That is of course unless he is appointed at the line Minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Makes you wonder why she is even running if she doesn't even seem to be putting in the effort to campaign. Maybe I'm wrong and she is being very active just not in Leixlip for some reason

She's been canvassing around Prosperous and Rathcoffey at least I'm told. Focussing on the more rural areas where her tallies are higher.

Orion wrote: »
    She's been canvassing around Prosperous and Rathcoffey at least I'm told. Focussing on the more rural areas where her tallies are higher.

Ah I see. Strange. I would have thought that she would poll better in the more urban areas, Maynooth, Celbridge, Leixlip, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭pad199207

Ah I see. Strange. I would have thought that she would poll better in the more urban areas, Maynooth, Celbridge, Leixlip, etc

Hasn’t been active around The Greater Naas Area. I’ve only noticed her posters here in the last week or so. I’ll be giving her a preference regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

i never knew who the SF candidate was till just seeing it in this thread. I'd say she (assuming its a woman as name looks like it could be a female) is sick that she didnt put in the effort. As she might have got a seat on Sunday if she had got her name out there and knocked on a few doors. i live in a poorer area of Naas and iddnt have her or team call to the door. Some candidates dont bother as they dont think they could win. Just shows you, never give up, never be defeatist. ive seen one SF posterin the whole of Naas and its a photo of Mary Lou.

I suspect she hasn't got many (any?) bodies to do postering / canvassing for her. Canvassing the rural areas alone won't get you in; even if every single voter you meet decides to vote for you. As many would be avoiding left-leaning parties for their climate plans (not that SFs is strong) that wouldn't happen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

FG/SF/Green/SD

Going by current estimations this is about 85 seats. Any chance at all?

FG doing an ok job over the last few years. They would keep some of SF's more radical policies out of sight but while allowing some change. The Greens in government would also keep the climate people happy!

I know it looks like a crazy line-up but the numbers work and at the end of the day that's all that matters. Only FF have absolutely 100% ruled out coalition with SF so could be a runner??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Got a four page A4 brochure for Séamus Ó Riain of Renua through the letterbox today.
    My God the level of xenophobia in there. Anything that wasn't xenophobic was childish and ill-informed anti-everything nonsense.
    Curious to know the numbers people in Kildare North that think his bile is worthy of a vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

pad199207 wrote: »
    Hasn’t been active around The Greater Naas Area. I’ve only noticed her posters here in the last week or so. I’ll be giving her a preference regardless.

Why would you do this? If a FF or FG candidate acted the same blase way you'd never consider it!

Are the lies Sinn Fein spout enough for the double standard?

For what it's worth about costings etc, read the below article:

https://www.charteredaccountants.ie/News/the-sinn-fein-manifesto

Basically their policies "might" work for a year but then it all comes crashing down....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

davegilly wrote: »
    FG/SF/Green/SD

Going by current estimations this is about 85 seats. Any chance at all?

FG doing an ok job over the last few years. They would keep some of SF's more radical policies out of sight but while allowing some change. The Greens in government would also keep the climate people happy!

I know it looks like a crazy line-up but the numbers work and at the end of the day that's all that matters. Only FF have absolutely 100% ruled out coalition with SF so could be a runner??

A four way coalition? It would last about 3 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Got a four page A4 brochure for Séamus Ó Riain of Renua through the letterbox today.
    My God the level of xenophobia in there. Anything that wasn't xenophobic was childish and ill-informed anti-everything nonsense.
    Curious to know the numbers people in Kildare North that think his bile is worthy of a vote.

I got that in the letterbox when I got home yesterday. I hadn't encountered Renua before.

I was really shocked at the content.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

They're all liars, sure I'm still waiting on Fine Gael to get rid of the HSE or USC like they said they would! These people promise the sun moon and stars and once they get into power it all goes out the window.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Nice to see they're using every last cent of that state funding before it expires for good. And thank feck I don't have a letterbox! (Only have an An Post lockbox)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Got that the other day,alarmingly he's a teacher!Has the air of someone who spends a lot of time arguing with strangers on Reddit or certain forums on this site.

Also got two flyers for Reada Cronin (SF) yesterday,first I've seen or heard about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mickey15ie

Evening All,

New to the area and living in Leixlip. Who is who in the election? I havent had one candidate call and not much information about so would be only voting based on party preference

mickey15ie wrote: »
    Evening All,

New to the area and living in Leixlip. Who is who in the election? I havent had one candidate call and not much information about so would be only voting based on party preference

http://kildarereturningofficer.com/index.php/8-general-information/23-candidates-for-kildare-north - scan back through the thread and all candidates get mentioned in either or both good and bad ways

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

mickey15ie wrote: »
    Evening All,

If you got this month's Link magazine in your letterbox, that actually contains the best candidate run-down that I've seen. Everyone gets a paragraph of a pitch, written by the runners themselves (or that's how it reads).

Apart from the PBP candidate, he gets a duplicate of one of the Independents (maybe vice versa). Otherwise each candidate had a chance to lay out experience, priorities, policies, etc. I'll post a pic tomorrow if I think of it.

buffalo wrote: »
    If you got this month's Link magazine in your letterbox, that actually contains the best candidate run-down that I've seen. Everyone gets a paragraph of a pitch, written by the runners themselves (or that's how it reads).

Apart from the PBP candidate, he gets a duplicate of one of the Independents (maybe vice versa). Otherwise each candidate had a chance to lay out experience, priorities, policies, etc. I'll post a pic tomorrow if I think of it.

Apologies if these come out massive and/or unreadable...

502010.jpg

502011.jpg

502012.jpg

502013.jpg

I suspect that it was Swords reply the printed for Mahon from the content but I'm not certain.

Four year old Labour logo in use there!

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    I suspect that it was Swords reply the printed for Mahon from the content but I'm not certain.

Four year old Labour logo in use there!

In fairness, it's a free magazine that's mostly made up of local advertising, so I don't expect top quality journalism. That said, I expected the Liffey Champion would've done something similar last week, but was disappointed. So good effort by The Link! :)

I've gotten flyers from Lawless, Martin, Murphy, and O'Rourke, but I didn't have much idea who the other candidates were.

Advertisement