Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flooring attic for storage

• 20-01-2020 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if it is possible to floor my attic for storage and walking around in?

It will not be used as a room. Does it need to be done professionally or is it DIY? I have some floorboards on stilts that I bought in B&Q but I would not step on these as I'd imagine they're not strong enough.

It's really just the centre of the attic that needs it, I won't need to go onto the eaves. There is insulation currently down. Can it still be insulated with floorboards?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, I presume the insulation is between the joices and putting boards across them won't squash it. Be sure to screw down the boards not nail. Hammering will damage your ceiling underneath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Water John wrote: »
    Yes, I presume the insulation is between the joists and putting boards across them won't squash it. Be sure to screw down the boards not nail. Hammering will damage your ceiling underneath.

There is some between the joists but also some above the joists. Presume the insulation above the joists will need to be removed? I know it should not be squashed to be effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

Wheety wrote: »
    J.... I have some floorboards on stilts that I bought in B&Q but I would not step on these as I'd imagine they're not strong enough.

They should be strong enough, I think. If they are not, use some 2" planks to raise floorboards above joists, if there any wires or tubes going over joists. It is quite easy to do yourself with an electric saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'd be slow to lessen the insulation. I'd run all the insulation between the joices that may mean laying battens along the top of the joices to rise the boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Wheety wrote: »
    There is some between the joists but also some above the joists. Presume the insulation above the joists will need to be removed? I know it should not be squashed to be effective.

don't remove it

build up the joists so as to raise them above the existing insulation

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Make sure if you're buying chipboard or osb for the flooring (if your current floorboards aren't enough) that you get boards that you can actually fit through your attic hatch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Is your roof cut roof or a pre-fab roof?
    Pre-Fab roofs @ 600 cm centres are a little more awkward to convert to useable space..

Advertisement