Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probably stupid question but need major help (external candidate).

Options
  • 20-01-2020 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

So i'm repeating my LC from home and i'm applying as an external candidate.

I do geography which has project work that is worth 20%.

Obviously I wouldn't be allowed to do it from home so i'm automatically missing out on the 20% which is fine as long as I can actually still do the written exam.

It's the same thing with the French oral. I will still be able to sit the written exam, right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Contact the school you are sitting the summer exam to check they have you registered for the oral exam. You still sit this even though you are not in a school. It takes place in the Spring.

Secondly i’m sure your project in Geography can still be counted. I think I have heard of people attending the field day with a school and this being accepted. Check with the State exams for certain. Again the school might let you attend this with them and sign off on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can arrange a school to take your French oral in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 boardhh43

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Contact the school you are sitting the summer exam to check they have you registered for the oral exam. You still sit this even though you are not in a school. It takes place in the Spring.

Secondly i’m sure your project in Geography can still be counted. I think I have heard of people attending the field day with a school and this being accepted. Check with the State exams for certain. Again the school might let you attend this with them and sign off on it.
    spurious wrote: »
    You can arrange a school to take your French oral in.

I know I can but I really do not need to do the French oral since there's no hope for me getting high marks for it anyway and i'm doing Russian instead. I still want to sit the exam just in case.

My biggest worry is Geography. I think it's too late to do the project. The field day happens at the start of the year. Still, I don't really mind this because I know I can still get the points as long as I can actually sit the written exam.
    Will this be possible?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can you contact your teacher in your old school re the project?
    They could honestly attest the work was yours since they know you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 boardhh43

spurious wrote: »
    Can you contact your teacher in your old school re the project?
    They could honestly attest the work was yours since they know you.

But I didn't do the project. I would have to go into school to do it if i'm able to at all and it's probably much too late for that. I did my project last year but I really doubt I can count that.

Do you think i'll still be able to sit my written exam?

btw I am sitting my LC again in my old school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

boardhh43 wrote: »
    I really do not need to do the French oral since there's no hope for me getting high marks for it anyway
    Surely you have at least a few points to gain, and nothing to lose

But I didn't do the project. I would have to go into school to do it if i'm able to at all and it's probably much too late for that. I did my project last year but I really doubt I can count that.

Do you think i'll still be able to sit my written exam?

btw I am sitting my LC again in my old school.

You don't know for sure it's too late. Go and talk to your teacher. Some schools do it in late 5th year. You could go out with them.
    Yes you can still sit your written exam without the project. Many do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I know I can but I really do not need to do the French oral since there's no hope for me getting high marks for it anyway and i'm doing Russian instead. I still want to sit the exam just in case.

My biggest worry is Geography. I think it's too late to do the project. The field day happens at the start of the year. Still, I don't really mind this because I know I can still get the points as long as I can actually sit the written exam.
    Will this be possible?

Shame to automatically knock yourself down in the overall French exam because you didn’t do the oral. It’s up for the taking.

Speak to the school regarding the Geography. Again, it would be a shame to loose those marks unnecessarily before you go on.

Advertisement