Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob dual monitor question

Options
  • 20-01-2020 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I just got a new PC in work, big upgrade and finally moved from dual old Dell 19" monitors to dual Hannspree 22" widescreen monitors.

However now regardless of where I place all my windows (I kind of cascade my apps in various locations that suit me) when I minimise and then restore them they will restore to the right size / position but always on Screen 1?!

I keep Outlook, File Manager and Excel on Screen 2 always so this is very annoying.

Anyone any idea how to solve this?

PS I know this is a more general PC query but I have got great help here building PC's before so I wanted to go to where I knew..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

How are you restoring the windows? Shortcuts or clicking? I'm not using windows anymore but I think this shortcuts works

Windows Key + Shift + Left/Right

It will simply move a window to respective monitors. Worth a shot in case it makes Windows remember window placement. Check how it behaves with this for maximised and windowed windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

How are you restoring the windows? Shortcuts or clicking? I'm not using windows anymore but I think this shortcuts works

Windows Key + Shift + Left/Right

It will simply move a window to respective monitors. Worth a shot in case it makes Windows remember window placement. Check how it behaves with this for maximised and windowed windows.

I mean just clicking from minimised but even when opening the apps, Win7 always remebered my placement, it's weird.

Might just take a bit of time for it to figure out my habits? We'll see.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm running Win 10 and it usually remembers where things are for me. I don't recall having to specify anything for it to do this. It was the same with Win 8.1 before. I don't think there's any machine learning at play for it to "learn" where things should go. The Microsoft forums are pretty good for help of this nature.

Advertisement