Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of building over garage

Options
  • 20-01-2020 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi looking for a rough estimate,have a 3 bed semi d with converted garage on the side,the roof needs replacing at some point but looking to see my options and see how much would it cost to build a room on top of garage extension in line with the rest of house......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It will be completely out of proportion compared with, say, the cost of building a house, and will not add value to the the house equivalent to the cost of the extension. If you don't comply with planning and building regs you could make your house unsaleable. Sorry to sound so negative but that's the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭franco25

looksee wrote: »
    It will be completely out of proportion compared with, say, the cost of building a house, and will not add value to the the house equivalent to the cost of the extension. If you don't comply with planning and building regs you could make your house unsaleable. Sorry to sound so negative but that's the situation.
    Yes I have seen some other houses in the neighbourhood have done this

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sorry but what has that got to do with the question?
    OP said nothing about the cost of building a house, nothing about avoiding planing or building regs.....

OP, you need planning for the first floor extension so once that is obtained, then you are at the mercy of the current structural capacity of the existing garage walls and foundations.

You may have to budget to demolish and start again.
    If the walls and founds are ok, then budget 2k per square meter as a very rough ball park cost.

kceire wrote: »
    Sorry but what has that got to do with the question?
    OP said nothing about the cost of building a house, nothing about avoiding planing or building regs.....

OP, you need planning for the first floor extension so once that is obtained, then you are at the mercy of the current structural capacity of the existing garage walls and foundations.

You may have to budget to demolish and start again.
    If the walls and founds are ok, then budget 2k per square meter as a very rough ball park cost.

As you said, what has that to do with the question?

As you said, what has that to do with the question?

Because there’s a cost associated to it. So the OP needs to factor in the planning cost against his construction cost. I thought that was obvious :confused:

I was genuinely asking what it was connected as you mentioned things that were not in the OP so assumed you may have posted in the wrong thread.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of properties that have first floor extensions carried out above existing garages and they due of course add values like any extension would relative to design, space and location. They don’t automatically look out of place.

• Advertisement

KCeire, how about you just answer the OP's question your way rather than offering critiques of mine?

franco25 wrote: »
    Hi looking for a rough estimate,have a 3 bed semi d with converted garage on the side,the roof needs replacing at some point but looking to see my options and see how much would it cost to build a room on top of garage extension in line with the rest of house......
    KCeire, how about you just answer the OP's question your way rather than offering critiques of mine?

I'm sorry if I touched a nerve, its just that your answer didn't answer anything the OP asked. It appears the reply was mixed up from another thread.

Look at the OP, then look at your reply.....
    It will be completely out of proportion compared with, say, the cost of building a house, and will not add value to the the house equivalent to the cost of the extension.

What will be out of proportion?
    why mention the cost of building a new house when the OP is talking about an extension?
    Why will it not add value? It wont add the full value of the cost of the extension of course, never does, but it will add value to the original dwelling.
    If you don't comply with planning and building regs you could make your house unsaleable. Sorry to sound so negative but that's the situation.

no mention of Planning or Building Regulations in the OP.
    Then you mention you sound negative????

Anyway, ill leave it there as you obviously don't want to correct your post.

I stand by my original post for the OP to roughly calculate cost to see If its worth exploring.

Advertisement