Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home LAN.

Options
  • 20-01-2020 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Hoping someone can help me.
    Firstly, my ISP is Imagine. So my router has only 2 LAN ports.
    I have 8 wired items. 4 PC's, a Sky Box, a smart tv, a laptop and a printer.
    To allow to use these, I have 4 single powerline connections. A 3 way powerline, a 2 way powerline with wifi extender and a stand alone wifi extender.

On top of all this, I have upto 9 wifi connections on the go one of which is an Alexa unit.

Not all of these are going to be connected all the time.

My problem is that I connected a NVR a cheap Chinese CCTV system. I connected it to the 3 way powerline. That has a smart TV and a laptop connected to it as well. After connection it seemed to work ok for a while but I started to get connections issues. Some of the wifi items would drop off the network but when I unplugged the LAN from the NVR, everything came back working OK.

As my ISP is Imagine, I have no control over any of the router settings. I have to contact Imagine for this.

So, is my little network at capacity or is there somthing I can do?
    Thank you for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

mcummins2 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    Hoping someone can help me.
    Firstly, my ISP is Imagine. So my router has only 2 LAN ports.
    I have 8 wired items. 4 PC's, a Sky Box, a smart tv, a laptop and a printer.
    To allow to use these, I have 4 single powerline connections. A 3 way powerline, a 2 way powerline with wifi extender and a stand alone wifi extender.

On top of all this, I have upto 9 wifi connections on the go one of which is an Alexa unit.

Not all of these are going to be connected all the time.

My problem is that I connected a NVR a cheap Chinese CCTV system. I connected it to the 3 way powerline. That has a smart TV and a laptop connected to it as well. After connection it seemed to work ok for a while but I started to get connections issues. Some of the wifi items would drop off the network but when I unplugged the LAN from the NVR, everything came back working OK.

As my ISP is Imagine, I have no control over any of the router settings. I have to contact Imagine for this.

So, is my little network at capacity or is there somthing I can do?
    Thank you for any help.

Add in an 8 port netgear hub. With POE.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You should have a switch (not a hub!) but thats probably not it.

****ty NVRs like to issue DHCP and take over your network, you'll need to configure it properly.

Advertisement