Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union wood trails

Options
  • 20-01-2020 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Whats the craic with the trails in union wood. Some are mountain bike ones, can walkers/runners use these also? And if not how do you know which ones are mountain bike ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Whats the craic with the trails in union wood. Some are mountain bike ones, can walkers/runners use these also? And if not how do you know which ones are mountain bike ones?

The mountain bikes are mainly mud trails through the trees. The gravel trail are very popular with runners and walkers. You'll get mountain bike cyclists on the gravel trails too making their way to the bike trails but the gravel trails are wide enough for everyone. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Thanks, there is trails off the gravel ones that I walk through in the woods. Never came across bikers but have seen tyre tracks. Do some trail running there too.

Just wondering as someone mentioned that you aren't allowed use the mountain bike trails? Pretty sure I'm using them when running 😟

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

The mountain bike club build and maintain the internal trails in union. They also do a lot of rubbish clearing. I have often run and biked on those trails. A runner will cause minimal impact compared to a bike. They are tricky enough and are hairy when wet. You don’t get a lot runners on the internal trails they tend to spend more time on the firetrack. Coilte own the forest and they promote recreation and shared usage in union I think. Saying that I would not want a slap from one of the lads descending at speed. They would have limited options to avoid.

P2C wrote: »
    The mountain bike club build and maintain the internal trails in union. They also do a lot of rubbish clearing. I have often run and biked on those trails. A runner will cause minimal impact compared to a bike. They are tricky enough and are hairy when wet. You don’t get a lot runners on the internal trails they tend to spend more time on the firetrack. Coilte own the forest and they promote recreation and shared usage in union I think. Saying that I would not want a slap from one of the lads descending at speed. They would have limited options to avoid.

Thanks a mill. I absolutely love using these trails compared to the bigger main paths. Have to say I disagree 're rubbish, I find quite a lot of empty bottles and sachets of some kind of energy gel. I pick them up as I go.

It did make me think about the safety of using these trails as of course bikers will be going at speed and in some areas there isn't a lot of space, however I've yet to meet anyone else on them. I'm hoping that I would be able to hear anyone on a bike coming though?

I will keep using them and just be more vigilant for bikers. Thanks for the info

Thanks a mill. I absolutely love using these trails compared to the bigger main paths. Have to say I disagree 're rubbish, I find quite a lot of empty bottles and sachets of some kind of energy gel. I pick them up as I go.

It did make me think about the safety of using these trails as of course bikers will be going at speed and in some areas there isn't a lot of space, however I've yet to meet anyone else on them. I'm hoping that I would be able to hear anyone on a bike coming though?

I will keep using them and just be more vigilant for bikers. Thanks for the info

Ha, you dont pick up the condoms as well,I hope! Loads of them around down there!

• Advertisement

Gross, thankfully never seen condoms. At least they are practicing safe sex!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Occasionally I'll go down the bike trails too. I'm very wary of meeting bikes so I'll only go on the bike trails when the car park is near empty and I check that whatever few vehicles that are there are too small to hold bikes internally or don't have bike racks.
    That helps reduce the risk but not eliminate it though as I know some lads that will cycle out from Ballygawley etc to use the trails

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

There are various bike trails in Union Woods:

Near Union Rock there is a set of gravity orientated trails.
    There are more XC based trails near the car park, off to the right by the first cross roads on your way in.
    There are a set that come out at various places near the entrance on the Collooney side as well as that access road on the way in.

All trails are used by the club and the club pay a yearly fee to build, maintain and use these trails.

For the most part there is warning signs but the club have seen of these pulled up over the last while.

That being said, for the most part the club have no issue with trail running, but it does cause some problems for the mountain bikers, namely that most of the trails are fast and narrow, which leaves little time to see (and avoid) anyone who shouldn't be on the trails.

This also can encourage others to wander onto the trails, even when signposted, and there has been instances where people have been met walking the wrong way up a trail and not paying attention.

However, there are trail running trails in and around the GAA pitch side and also across the road towards the Sligo Way. Around the top of Union Rock viewing point is not used by the mountain bikers or anywhere near the deer fencing, there are some trails there that can be ran.

Regarding the rubbish, the club operate a policy of leave no trace, unfortunately the popularity of the forest means that non members and visitors have been coming to ride there and can leave rubbish behind, not to mention flytipping and the issue of condoms in the car park.

rizzodun wrote: »
    There are various bike trails in Union Woods:

Near Union Rock there is a set of gravity orientated trails.
    There are more XC based trails near the car park, off to the right by the first cross roads on your way in.
    There are a set that come out at various places near the entrance on the Collooney side as well as that access road on the way in.

All trails are used by the club and the club pay a yearly fee to build, maintain and use these trails.

For the most part there is warning signs but the club have seen of these pulled up over the last while.

That being said, for the most part the club have no issue with trail running, but it does cause some problems for the mountain bikers, namely that most of the trails are fast and narrow, which leaves little time to see (and avoid) anyone who shouldn't be on the trails.

This also can encourage others to wander onto the trails, even when signposted, and there has been instances where people have been met walking the wrong way up a trail and not paying attention.

However, there are trail running trails in and around the GAA pitch side and also across the road towards the Sligo Way. Around the top of Union Rock viewing point is not used by the mountain bikers or anywhere near the deer fencing, there are some trails there that can be ran.

Regarding the rubbish, the club operate a policy of leave no trace, unfortunately the popularity of the forest means that non members and visitors have been coming to ride there and can leave rubbish behind, not to mention flytipping and the issue of condoms in the car park.

Thanks so much for all the info. Is there a good up to date map with trails on it?
    Love these trails but obviously don't want to be in a situation where myself or cyclist is injured. I didn't realise there was particular direction to take a trail either. Would be good if there was some info out there so users can make it as safe as possible for everyone to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Thanks so much for all the info. Is there a good up to date map with trails on it?
    Love these trails but obviously don't want to be in a situation where myself or cyclist is injured. I didn't realise there was particular direction to take a trail either. Would be good if there was some info out there so users can make it as safe as possible for everyone to use.

Strictly speaking you must be a club member to use the trails, and because of this there are no maps.

For the most part MTB trails run downhill, if you're running uphill, you're against the flow of traffic.

Safest way is to avoid the trails in the locations I've mentioned and use the ones closer to the GAA pitch and over the top of Union rock.

Alternatively, there are trails which can be ran in Doorley Park, Slish Wood & Dooney Rock which won't have bikers on em.

• Advertisement
Advertisement