Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgot to renew car insurance on Dec 1st! Can I skip to the present date?

Options
  • 20-01-2020 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I forgot to renew my car insurance on Dec 1st, honest mistake!
    Can I renew now from the current date (i.e. save 6 weeks insurance)

Any comments appreciated!
    Thanks in advance
    DM
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

demello wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I forgot to renew my car insurance on Dec 1st, honest mistake!
    Can I renew now from the current date (i.e. save 6 weeks insurance)

Any comments appreciated!
    Thanks in advance
    DM

Get insuranced ASAP I got into serious **** few years back and I’m 45 !
    They might not want to insure u , and ur no claims bonus is wiped , it’s like starting off the new !
    I don’t know how much grace they allow u but at 6 weeks ur at the outside I’d imagine !
    Let us know how u get on !

Going back to our own , just completely forget it till I was passing it one day out few months best I can remember !
    Broker never rang said it was there new policy ! Anyway we had small accident and wasn’t our fault so wasn’t costing our insurance anything!
    Refused to insure us , went on for 3/4 weeks I eventually made contact with the boss of insurance company . Had it within an hour - lol
    Lost no claims as it’s like starting new policy !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That's all you can do, they will not backdate the cover. You will 'save' those 6 weeks. And thank your lucky stars that you didn't have an accident or get stopped by the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

And by the way park the car until it's sorted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Did you get a renewal notice OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,009 ✭✭✭✭L1011

NCB is not "wiped" after 6 weeks contrary to the claim in the first reply

There is no way to backdate insurance so any new policy will be from when it is taken out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I don’t know how much grace they allow u but at 6 weeks ur at the outside I’d imagine !

There are no 'days of grace' with motor insurance. Your policy expires at midnight on the expiration date and at 00:01 on the following day, you have no insurance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement