Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who don’t (or won’t) travel

• 21-01-2020 12:15am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What is the story with people who have travelled very little or who are not fond of leaving their own country, sometimes not even leaving their city or county?

I understand if it’s a case of ill health or limited finances - but these days, with air travel so affordable, the world - or at least most of Europe - is literally there for the taking in. I know the term “travel broadens the mind” is a bit of a cliche, but from personal experience, I think it is very true. :)

I travelled quite a bit in my 20s in addition to living in the States for a year, and as a person with wanderlust I plan to visit every continent (including Antarctica) by the time I am 65. Japan, New Zealand and South America are very high up on my places to visit wish list in the near future.

It seems these days most Irish people under the age of 40 are very well travelled, and nearly everyone has travelled abroad, often for holidays in the Mediterranean and/or to another European country.

So, do you know anyone who has never been out of the country, or only just to the UK (including Norn Iron). Or are you yourself a person that has hardly ever - or never - travelled abroad?

And if so, why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Some people are home birds and like familiarity. The idea of visiting a foreign country and having to speak to non-native English speakers puts the fear into them. I think it's similar to a fear of public speaking or heights.

There's a fella from back home who planned to move to Oz, back when it seemed the whole country was leaving. He had a big leaving do, collected about a grand in cards from family and friends. Flew over and lasted just under a week before he booked a flight home.
    Some boys just miss their mammys.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tellyium

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Some people are home birds and like familiarity. The idea of visiting a foreign country and having to speak to non-native English speakers puts the fear into them. I think it's similar to a fear of public speaking or heights.

There's a fella from back home who planned to move to Oz, back when it seemed the whole country was leaving. He had a big leaving do, collected about a grand in cards from family and friends. Flew over and lasted just under a week before he booked a flight home.
    Some boys just miss their mammys.

Was his nickname boomerang?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Maybe a fear of flying puts some people off travelling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m a fellow wanderlust sufferer so I get your inability to understand those who just want to stay put... they are just wired differently I guess...

I think I get it from my mother, she’s always loved traveling as have I and both my parents always made a concerted effort to get away once a year.. an aunt of mine though is always baulking at the idea of ‘going away’... “no, it’s foreign, sure you’d never understand them, and the food be all wrong”.... she’d drag the Uncle Dave off to Tramore, Galway... wherever, that while is alright is not a holiday it’s a break, change of scenery..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

JupiterKid wrote: »
    What is the story with people who have travelled very little or who are not fond of leaving their own country, sometimes even leaving their city or county?

I understand if it’s a case of ill health or limited finances - but these days, with air travel so affordable, the world - or at least most of Europe - is literally there for the taking in. I know the term “travel broadens the mind” is a bit of a cliche, but from personal experience, I think it is very true. :)

I travelled quite a bit in my 20s in addition to living in the States for a year, and as a person with wanderlust I plan to visit every continent (including Antarctica) by the time I am 65. Japan, New Zealand and South America are very high up on my places to visit wish list in the near future.

It seems these days most Irish people under the age of 40 are very well travelled, and nearly everyone has travelled abroad, often for holidays in the Mediterranean and/or to another European country.

So, do you know anyone who has never been out of the country, or only just to the UK (including Norn Iron). Or are you yourself a person that has hardly ever - or never - travelled abroad?

And if so, why?

You ask a lot of questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,884 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think there a various factors.
    1. As you said financial.
    2. Sometimes people have money but would prefer to put it into something they'd enjoy more.
    3. Then there's just general fear of doing something new or different.
    4. I'm from a farming background and I know lots of people who are always working and there Summer Holiday would be an afternoon at the sea side.
    5. They tried going some where and they just didn't like it.

I don't think there is much too it at all. My mam and dad have only been as far as the UK. That was fine for them. They had no desire to go further. Daddy is 76 now and is content to be at home. As for me I haven't travelled much at all. There is much of the world I would like to see but finances prohibits me and hostelling it around SE Asia with a ruck sack doesn't appeal.

I view travel as a different strokes for different folks sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I guess some like where we are from and don't take holidays. Just hang about locally go to the match have a few pints with people you know eat what you like when you like. Speak the same way. Things you can't do on holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I lived abroad for about 5 years in my early 20s, then came to Ireland. I have been to the USA a couple of times. Other than that I have barely stirred. I like travelling within Ireland, but don't feel any urge to go much further afield. A dislike of airports and travelling on buses and planes (I don't mind cars and trains) has a lot to do with it, but I don't feel in any way deprived.

Isn't it wonderful that we are all different :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Strumms wrote: »
    I’m a fellow wanderlust sufferer so I get your inability to understand those who just want to stay put... they are just wired differently I guess...

100% this

It's never been quicker, easier and more affordable to travel to different countries to visit or even to live and work. Cannot understand why some people just don't like traveling, so many places to experience and broaden your horizons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I'm nowhere near as well travelled as I'd like but that's down to personal circumstances. I know that when I'm not a carer anymore I'm out of here. At the moment I'm only really interested in exploring Europe, but that could change once I find my feet.

My SIL goes nowhere. Doesn't want to. Wouldn't even be able to get on public transport alone and go visit the next town (towns on either side are world famous tourist destinations). No interest in anything except local gossip and soaps. My niece and nephew have never been outside the county for a holiday, because of her ( and my brother, onviously) . They went to a hotel 40 miles away, once, for five days to a place my parents regularly brought us to visit on day trips as children.

When I wasn't constrained due to being a carer I travelled round Ireland a fair bit on my own. Love being on the road. Can't wait to get moving again, but obviously my freedom will come at a sad price so feel a bit guilty sometimes for daydreaming about Paris/Amsterdam /Copenhagen/Bergen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I've been East and I've been West I'm just like a rolling stone.

But now I stay closer to home in Europe within a max three hour flight. Everyone is different and whatever makes you comfortable and happy is fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

Why doesn't everyone feel the exact same way about everything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I haven't travelled nearly as much as I'd like to, but I love it.

My closest friend is the opposite. The furthest she'll go to is the UK. I don't see anything wrong with her choice, either. She adores Ireland, and prefers to travel within it.

We just have different interests.

I've been East and I've been West I'm just like a rolling stone.

But now I stay closer to home in Europe within a max three hour flight. Everyone is different and whatever makes you comfortable and happy is fine by me.

There is not always much room for difference in this world. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

100% this

It's never been quicker, easier and more affordable to travel to different countries to visit or even to live and work. Cannot understand why some people just don't like traveling, so many places to experience and broaden your horizons.

They just don’t. They prefer familiarity. I like a bit of travel but tbh I like living in Ireland, I think we have a great sensibility as a people. Despite being more affordable and accessible, travel is also a massive pain in the hole especially air travel. I envy Continental Europeans in that cab hop on a great train network to any number of neighboring countries and places. We are a lot more restricted in Ireland in that sense and it takes more planning and money to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

"YOU’RE DEPRESSED BECAUSE YOU STAY IN YOUR BEDROOM ALL DAY INSTEAD OF TRAVELING THE WORLD."

cool, now i'm depressed in Egypt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

Went to loads of off the wall.places when I was younger - China, Venezuela, Maldives (twice), Red Sea (used to scuba a lot) and most of Europe. Now have three types of arthritis, two fake knees and a dodgy hip. The knees send off airport alarms and I just couldn't be bothered any more. Way too much hassle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,884 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

100% this

I can't understand why some people can't accept or understand that some people simply don't like travelling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Lyan wrote: »

So true, would make things easier. Nowadays a tyranny of choice in everything wasting our time on trivia.

Once everyone had to pick the same colour model T, films were silent and could be shown with the same level of understanding all over the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,362 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lyan wrote: »

Then this would be a ‘pointless statement’ site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Its very expensive to travel, for allot of people all they can afford is a trip to the UK or Spain for a few days. Some cant even afford that.
    For others they may just have responsibilities that don't allow them to travel. Some just have other things that need to paid for. Its quite a middle class thing to do to be fair, to travel the world, often people with lots of money and no responsibilities, unless the sole purpose is heading off somewhere to find work but even at that the cost is fairly huge to up and leave everything, get a visa and start a life somewhere else.
    I dont think anything different of people who haven't traveled as its all down to luck/opportunity/privilege.

I also dont find people who have traveled any more or less interesting than people who haven't, that said ive been on dates with well travelled men and they all have one thing in common, they talk about themselves like theyre Columbus or something, listing off all the destinations theyve been too, it can be boring to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I have enjoyed every holiday I have ever been on and I've seen a good few foreign destinations and I wouldn't say no to ever going on a trip again, but I have no immediate plans to or genuine desire to travel really. I don't really know why that is, the world seems to insist that if I have time off I should be mad to go somewhere, but I'm pretty happy sitting at home reading a book.

I don't know if being well travelled makes a person more interesting, it depends on the person. Some can be, but I know a few absolute dopes who have been everywhere and - as far as I can see - it hasn't done them much good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I would never live abroad but every spare cent I have goes towards ticking off places on my bucket list.

My main focus the last few years has been to try to visit as many countries & cities as possible and I’ve been lucky enough to be able to do a lot of travelling despite being on quite a low wage.

Some people just don’t like it, but I don’t get it. I’m barely off the plane when I’m planning the next trip :pac:
    I go without a lot of materialistic things to afford it but it’s worth it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I would just like to win the lottery so I could travel more. I love it and I think it helps appreciate other countries and the people.
    I would put travel and seeing new places, countries, their culture and people as the thing I love the most to do, but I need more money :pac:
    Have a nice holiday planned for later this year, a native of a certain eastern European country who is a friend is going to give me a guided tour of his country and I can't wait.

People can like different things at different stages of their lives. Most of the time, I love an adventure somewhere new. Sometimes I just want familiarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

My friends father is afraid to fly
    His mother is afraid to go on a boat.

Quite the pair they are.

Thankfully it hasn't stopped the kids travelling far and wide but as a result, the parents dont travel outside of ireland together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Another "people who don't do the things I do" thread.

Beyond the odd holiday in the UK and Spain, I've never really 'travelled'. When I had the time, I didn't have the money. And now that I can sort of afford it, I don't really have the time. Some day, that might change, but I hope I don't ever become one of those people who can't understand why others don't do the things I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Because they simply don't want to or have no interest?

What's the story about people who question what others do with their lives??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I've only started travelling more in my 30s as in my 20s I wasted all my money on nights out and general galivanting! I think I appreciate it more now though. Lots more places on the bucket list and have a holiday fund on the go all the time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I love travelling. Am constantly planning my next trip or dreaming of places to go.

A friend thinks travelling is "pointless" though. She calls it a waste a money and prefers to but designer clothes and overpriced (to me) houseware.

I completely don't get it and would far rather blow my money on a big trip abroad than in a weekend in Kildare Village but I'm me and she's her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Please think of your carbon footprint when booking the next flight. Six flights a year per person and after that you get tax penalties.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I started the thread because I was genuinely interested in why some people don't travel, even if they have the means to comfortably do so.

I'm not mocking or looking down on those who don't travel, and although I love to travel myself, I understand perfectly why some opt not to travel abroad. I am genuinely interested in the reasons why people don't like to travel abroad.

No need to get offended by the thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Please think of your carbon footprint when booking the next flight. Six flights a year per person and after that you get tax penalties.

What? Is that some new tax i've never heard of? How does that work, is it charged by airlines & how do they know how many flights you had:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What? Is that some new tax i've never heard of? How does that work, is it charged by airlines & how do they know how many flights you had:confused:

Yes, it’s pie in the sky. Impossible to police, illegal to police, it’s a non runner. No government department in entitled to know how many flights we take, how many kilometers we drive, know what electricity you use, if you are vegan, vegetarian or carnivore. That’s big brother shît otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Out foreign isn't Cork like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I've been lucky to be part of some trad acts playing gigs around Europe, the box player I play with is from Denmark so I've played there about 3 or 4 times, Norway, Sweden, Italy, Switzerland, Germany as well as London and various parts of Scotland. I've also went travelling with my sister and family to the South of Spain and to Istanbul in Turkey. My next trip is to Prague for my nephews stag night in early June. So you could say I have a bit of the travelling bug, its nice playing gigs to international audiences. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I suppose my wanderlust is down to my genes as my parents have been all over the world. In the 60s and 70s my dad was in a band who toured the US, Canada and UK. We moved to Canada when I was a baby and back to Ireland when I was 4.

Then my dad became a veteran athlete and travelled the world with the Irish team. I spent months in Canada and the US again as a child and adult and saw quite a bit of Europe in my teens.

Now, am in my 4th year of being in Asia. I started by backpacking but now live in Malaysia and just take off for a few weeks or a month or so to nearby countries when I feel like it.

I love travelling and if was rich would do a lot more.

Perse....you don't need to backpack in SEA. I now take my Wheely suitcase and stay in budget, but comfortable hotels and love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Then there are people who have traveled the world but have almost never left Dublin while at home in Ireland.
    I find that equally as odd, Ireland has loads to offer too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That you see different opinions as "being offended" is revealing!

Try the phrase " personal choice"? Equal personal choice.

I see no need to travel. In my young day camped through Europe and Scandinavia.. Since coming to Ireland, have deeply explored here ( wondering how well folk know their own country?) and now I am home and stay home.
    Far far better things to do with limited money and even were money un limited, still far better things to do with it

I can see places here online without the fuss and weariness. Not been offisland for well over a year and totally happy with that.

Staying still is great. It really is. Maybe folk here get bored easily?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I started the thread because I was genuinely interested in why some people don't travel, even if they have the means to comfortably do so.

I'm not mocking or looking down on those who don't travel, and although I love to travel myself, I understand perfectly why some opt not to travel abroad. I am genuinely interested in the reasons why people don't like to travel abroad.

No need to get offended by the thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

tuxy wrote: »
    Then there are people who have traveled the world but have almost never left Dublin while at home in Ireland.
    I find that equally as odd, Ireland has loads to offer too.

Thanks to the league of Ireland, myself and my kids have been in every county in Ireland bar Kerry. Didn't have any games there so never bothered. Will rectify that soon though as my Malaysian boyfriend wants to visit there next time he comes to Ireland.

Kerry is OK ( lived there many years) but Mayo beats it hands down. Kerry is too touristy now. Loved Killarney and the trad farms at Muckross were my second home.

Mayo has more pure Irish than anywhere else. And more history
    Witchie wrote: »
    Thanks to the league of Ireland, myself and my kids have been in every county in Ireland bar Kerry. Didn't have any games there so never bothered. Will rectify that soon though as my Malaysian boyfriend wants to visit there next time he comes to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes Mayo is great if you want less touristy than Kerry. West Cork is also a great option.

When I knew I was moving last time, I had a wish list and highest on it was Mizen head or nearby. Had lived near Enniskeane 4 years, and Beara etc are lovely

Just something about Mayo for me. when I was first in Ireland nearly 20 years ago, I rented near where I am now. Happy to be back. Less touristy , less highly populated and very friendly and relaxed.

A place like Downpatrick Head...
    tuxy wrote: »
    Yes Mayo is great if you want less touristy than Kerry. West Cork is also a great option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I've always felt a bit sorry for people who seem obsessed with travelling... it's like they're not really content or happy within themselves and the simple things in life don't hold their interest for long!

Anyone I have known that is obsessed with travelling, they all seem to have the same thing in common... they are very easily bored in everyday life, and actually seem somewhat depressed when they're not either going on some trip or at least planning the next one! (And certainly seem very down when they return home)

I have done a bit of travelling for a couple of years after finishing college, but these days I'm very happy in my own little world and local community.

My grandmother always used to say that anyone who was easily bored, was usually a boring person... And I think she was dead right about that one...

Spending thousands on trips and holidays every year, just to keep yourself busy and avoid boredom, is a very inefficient use of both your time and money... not to mention the effects on the environment of all those air miles clogging up the skies with frankly needless journeys!

But to each their own I suppose... if you gotta do it, you gotta do it... hopefully you are getting something out of it. But I don't see the evidence of this in my experience anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I've always felt a bit sorry for people who seem obsessed with travelling... it's like they're not really content or happy within themselves and the simple things in life don't hold their interest for long!

Anyone I have known that is obsessed with travelling, they all seem to have the same thing in common... they are very easily bored in everyday life, and actually seem somewhat depressed when they're not either going on some trip or at least planning the next one! (And certainly seem very down when they return home)

I have done a bit of travelling for a couple of years after finishing college, but these days I'm very happy in my own little world and local community.

My grandmother always used to say that anyone who was easily bored, was usually a boring person... And I think she was dead right about that one...

Spending thousands on trips and holidays every year, just to keep yourself busy and avoid boredom, is a very inefficient use of both your time and money... not to mention the effects on the environment of all those air miles clogging up the skies with frankly needless journeys!

But to each their own I suppose... if you gotta do it, you gotta do it... hopefully you are getting something out of it. But I don't see the evidence of this in my experience anyway!

I'm glad someone finally mentioned the environment, long haul flights are very heavy for your carbon footprint!

GingerLily wrote: »
    I'm glad someone finally mentioned the environment, long haul flights are very heavy for your carbon footprint!

I spend around four euro a week on petrol for my 125cc scooter. That's my only vehicle usage. How many air miles does that give so I'm even with someone commuting an hour each way in their diesel Audi?

Genuine question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Yeah well your granny was wrong to be honest. The world is a massive place filled with amazing sights, different people, different cultures and a wealth of experiences to be had. To explore and to see new things, different languages and ways of living etc is a desire that has been rooted in people since time immemorial.

I'm happy with my job and my life in London, I also am happy (and lucky to be able) to travel around different places. If you're content with spending every day in the same gaff and like the familiarity of that then crack on, it's your life at the end of the day but don't make assumptions about people for wanting to explore things beyond a 'local community'. Different people like different things and there's plenty of unfair assumptions people could make about you based on what you wrote above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

FTA69 wrote: »
    Yeah well your granny was wrong to be honest. The world is a massive place filled with amazing sights, different people, different cultures and a wealth of experiences to be had. To explore and to see new things, different languages and ways of living etc is a desire that has been rooted in people since time immemorial.

I'm happy with my job and my life in London, I also am happy (and lucky to be able) to travel around different places. If you're content with spending every day in the same gaff and like the familiarity of that then crack on, it's your life at the end of the day but don't make assumptions about people for wanting to explore things beyond a 'local community'. Different people like different things and there's plenty of unfair assumptions people could make about you based on what you wrote above.

Last time I checked, this was a place for opinions... and that's exactly what I gave here - my honest opinion. And it wasn't based on nothing either, it was based on my own life experience and the that of others too!

You can make any assumptions about me you wish to, doesn't bother me one iota... I'm very comfortable in my own skin, and don't get easily offended by others opinions or assumptions. (Even if they are very wide of the mark)

I think my grandmother was correct, and very wise to recognise it too... but then she was someone who was fascinated by everything around her - even the things that other people would consider mundane and ordinary!

And I don't just explore my local community btw... the mind is a huge vast expanse for exploration too. And with the internet, it's possible to explore far more things than you could ever hope to squeeze into a two week backpacking trip abroad. (trust me I've tried) ;)

Nothing against travelling - like I said I've done plenty in the past myself - but I still maintain my viewpoint, that a lot of people are lost and confused and bored in their lives... and perhaps trying to fill that gap with obsessive travelling. I think this does describe quite a lot of people to be honest.

But same to you buddy... crack on if you're enjoying your life. I always hope that people can find what they're looking for in this life! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement