Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who don’t (or won’t) travel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

YFlyer wrote: »
    Like most yanks.

Most 'Yanks' would travel America, central and South America, they also travel to islands like Hawaii and the Bahamas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Travel is great. If it does anything it puts into perspective how lucky we are living in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thatsmighty

I like to travel solo. It’s a great experience and highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

branie2 wrote: »
    Maybe a fear of flying puts some people off travelling

I have a fear of flying. Silly enough I know but I really do not like heights or confined spaces.

I just take the ferry but will obvs have to tackle the fear of flying thing at some stage. Definitely want to travel a lot more in this decade.

My old boy is pushing 60 and has never been out of the country. Never will either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Most 'Yanks' would travel America, central and South America, they also travel to islands like Hawaii and the Bahamas.

Exactly. the US is massive, travelling around it is equivalent to travailing an extensive part of Western and Central Europe.
    The difference is there is not as much of a culture variance but when it comes to what you can see and do there is lots of variety.
    I like to travel solo. It’s a great experience and highly recommended.

Very true, my favourite holiday was solo. It's nice to spend time alone and it forces you to make new friends when you do want to interact.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Like most yanks.

Ha. What did I tell ye earlier about that hypocrisy. Case easily made, excellent.

Oh and by yanks, do you mean the Yankees who were a specific group of people in a specific geographical region in the American civil war era, more than 150 years ago? The US is a melting pot now of completely different cultures, political parties, and people in every conceivable way. Many first and second generation immigrants who's ancestors weren't even there then. It's so cringey and ignorant sounding. Would you be a paddy, or....?

tuxy wrote: »
    Exactly. the US is massive, travelling around it is equivalent to travailing an extensive part of Western and Central Europe.
    The difference is there is not as much of a culture variance but when it comes to what you can see and do there is lots of variety.

Very true, my favourite holiday was solo. It's nice to spend time alone and it forces you to make new friends when you do want to interact.

Completely agreed, except there actually is a huge culture variance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭facehugger99

People who haven’t traveled generally have very insular views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

There is between 36 and 42% of US citizens hold a passport depending on where you read the percentages.

Hawaii is US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Each to their own i suppose. I love travelling. I've made it countless times from USA as far as South east Asia with many other european countries too. Next step is to go further east when i can.
    I know long flights e.t.c but i don't mind. It's nice to experience different cultures.

• Advertisement

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Ha. What did I tell ye earlier about that hypocrisy. Case easily made, excellent.

Oh and by yanks, do you mean the Yankees who were a specific group of people in a specific geographical region in the American civil war era, more than 150 years ago? The US is a melting pot now of completely different cultures, political parties, and people in every conceivable way. Many first and second generation immigrants who's ancestors weren't even there then. It's so cringey and ignorant sounding. Would you be a paddy, or....?

Different political parties? The main two have it wrapped up even before election day. It was near impossible for Reform Party, Greens and Natural Law Party to get on the ballot.

I spent the first 24 years of my life in Ireland & England, once I got somewhere else I couldn't stop!
    I love travelling the only thing that stops me is work! I was lucky enough to get seconded overseas for 18 months & travelled places I never would have dreamed of visiting in holidays.
    I agree that holidays & travelling are different, I can easily go on holiday for a week in the sun & just relax & not care too much about local culture etc
    But actually travelling to a different country & culture & experiencing the life there...... It's great, really opens the mind.

But I understand some people are not interested, I do think it's because they didn't give it a go though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Yep, absolutely. I was looking to book a weekend away in Killarney for the end of this month because I love it there. Plenty to do and see, and I love the Torc Waterfall walk.
    At time of booking, the hotels were priced circa €190/€230 per night! Which I just couldn't justify for a rainy January weekend.

That's insane money!!! I'm heading to Budapest for five nights in a few days. 4* hotel on the Danube is costing €400 between 2 of us. Even the flights were €111 return. This is why people travel abroad. Prevents our hospitality industry from gouging us.

There is between 36 and 42% of US citizens hold a passport depending on where you read the percentages.

Hawaii is US.

If we're talking about Irish people who don't travel, the attitude is mainly - to each their own, different strokes for different folks, allowances are made for lack of money or opportunity. But when talking about American's, it's a condescending "like most yanks" comment that gets trotted out time and time again. Height of hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

That's insane money!!! I'm heading to Budapest for five nights in a few days. 4* hotel on the Danube is costing €400 between 2 of us. Even the flights were €111 return. This is why people travel abroad. Prevents our hospitality industry from gouging us.

It is crazy money. Some of my friends are paying nearly 1k pp for 10 days in the canaries. I went to Thailand for 18 nights and paid €1100 and stayed in nice hotels. Plus the cost of eating out is barely nothing.

Different political parties? The main two have it wrapped up even before election day. It was near impossible for Reform Party, Greens and Natural Law Party to get on the ballot.

Well yeah, the US does have different political parties, though there are really only 2 main parties. Main point is the yanks and the rebels aren't a thing anymore, hasn't been for over 150 years, and has nothing to do with anyone today who is American. How do we all feel about foreigners referring to us as paddy's instead of the Irish, or Irish people? Same..

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    It is crazy money. Some of my friends are paying nearly 1k pp for 10 days in the canaries. I went to Thailand for 18 nights and paid €1100 and stayed in nice hotels. Plus the cost of eating out is barely nothing.

I went to Thailand for 6 weeks & didn't spend over 2000 Euro.
    I have had a week in canaries for less then 400 Euro.
    There is great value going to other countries.
    2 nights here in a nice hotel will cost over 300, I couldn't imagine spending a week anywhere in an hotel in Ireland!

Well yeah, the US does have different political parties, though there are really only 2 main parties. Main point is the yanks and the rebels aren't a thing anymore, hasn't been for over 150 years, and has nothing to do with anyone today who is American. How do we all feel about foreigners referring to us as paddy's instead of the Irish, or Irish people? Same..

I wouldn't be offended by being called Paddy, the offence would come from what may follow it. But if it was just calling me Paddy in a joking manner I'm sure I could come up with a good comeback without taking it seriously.

Completely agreed, except there actually is a huge culture variance!

Yes but not as large a difference as if you flew over 4,000km(The length of the US) from Ireland

For example it's only 2,400km from Ireland to Morocco so 4,000 km could get you fairly deep in to Africa.

I have a fear of flying. Silly enough I know but I really do not like heights or confined spaces.

I just take the ferry but will obvs have to tackle the fear of flying thing at some stage. Definitely want to travel a lot more in this decade.

My old boy is pushing 60 and has never been out of the country. Never will either.

According to the internet, 25% of American's have a fear of flying..

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    I wouldn't be offended by being called Paddy, the offence would come from what may follow it. But if it was just calling me Paddy in a joking manner I'm sure I could come up with a good comeback without taking it seriously.

I don't think the earlier poster tossed the "yank" out there in a joking manner though... maybe just don't refer to a whole continent of people comprised of many different cultures (by a 150+yr old nickname) as yanks as a good rule though? You see it used by people here all the time, but I never hear people calling us paddy's when referring to us.

Doesn't bother me. Call us Mick if they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I have done a good bit of travel with both work and leisure trips

Good bit of Europe— Spain France Germany Czech Croatia UK Poland Holland Portugal

Australia —Melbourne

America —San Fran Vegas Puerto Rico

bubblypop wrote: »
    I went to Thailand for 6 weeks & didn't spend over 2000 Euro.
    I have had a week in canaries for less then 400 Euro.
    There is great value going to other countries.
    2 nights here in a nice hotel will cost over 300, I couldn't imagine spending a week anywhere in an hotel in Ireland!

That's on my Bucket list. I'd love to experience Thailand. Would be such a different culture to experience. Not to mention the food. My favourite cuisine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Travelling is not all it’s cracked up to be. Been there done that and I love coming home to my creature comforts.

What I don’t understand is people who want to travel everywhere and have barely travelled outside the pale just so they can tell people how cultured they are. Give me a break!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Travelling is not all it’s cracked up to be. Been there done that and I love coming home to my creature comforts.

What I don’t understand is people who want to travel everywhere and have barely travelled outside the pale just so they can tell people how cultured they are. Give me a break!

I agree wholeheartedly with the above! People who 'do' other countries as if it's a competition.

Travelling is stressful and tiring. It's like everything else in like, great in moderation.
    On the way back from the US a few years ago I go talking to a woman who said she wanted to visit 50 countries, she was on her way to France which was going to be country 38 I think.
    I asked her about some that she had been to and she couldn't really tell me anything about them. She slept most of the time while in Ireland but it was one more country ticked off the list......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

A couple of friends and a shedload of family must ask several times a year "When yah comin over to the States". We always reply couldn't face the long flight.

But really, there is a load about America that really grinds my gears. I'd mention it to them but I often get the look of doom from Mrs P.

- Kids separated from their parents. Seven of whom have died in custody.
    - Guantanamo
    - Half a million Americans who go bankrupt every year because of a medical diagnosis.
    - I don't want to get shot

I rarely go abroad nowadays. Last time was two years ago to Kraków. Time before that was 2008 to Prague. Never gone beyond Eastern Europe.

When I am going away I get very excited. While I enjoy my infrequent breaks I am always glad to be home. The longest I go for is 5 nights, excluding a fortnight trip to Majorca 24 years ago.

F**k me I'm very old now. I would make an exception for Thailand though and do a long one.

• Advertisement

Purgative wrote: »
    A couple of friends and a shedload of family must ask several times a year "When yah comin over to the States". We always reply couldn't face the long flight.

But really, there is a load about America that really grinds my gears. I'd mention it to them but I often get the look of doom from Mrs P.

- Kids separated from their parents. Seven of whom have died in custody.
    - Guantanamo
    - Half a million Americans who go bankrupt every year because of a medical diagnosis.
    - I don't want to get shot

In fairness, I don’t think you have to worry about those things. Sounds like your using your own personal prejudices as an excuse not to go there.

I rarely go abroad nowadays. Last time was two years ago to Kraków. Time before that was 2008 to Prague. Never gone beyond Eastern Europe.

When I am going away I get very excited. While I enjoy my infrequent breaks I am always glad to be home. The longest I go for is 5 nights, excluding a fortnight trip to Majorca 24 years ago.

F**k me I'm very old now. I would make an exception for Thailand though and do a long one.

Yeah that's the way to do it imo.
    I guess you don't have a large Instagram following that you need to flex for? ;)

What has made Thailand such an obsession for Irish people? I see it mentioned so much and I don’t recall a well known TV show about it or anything like that. Is it travel influencers or something?

What’s worse is those people who go to these far flung places in underdeveloped countries and get on a bus for 5 hours to visit some place where a certain atrocity took place. I’m sorry but that is not my idea of a holiday it actually sounds like hell. But then you have people how enlighten they are and got to see the wild and on the way back they stopped in India and contracted dysentery! Everyone I know who has visited India has gotten sick while they were there. Everyone. Why would I want to spent my holiday vomiting and ****ting myself?

In fairness, I don’t think you have to worry about those things. Sounds like your using your own personal prejudices as an excuse not to go there.

It is more dangerous than Ireland but not the an extent that it should put anyone off.
    Not wanting to help fund tax in the U.S that helps pay for some questionable human rights operations I can kind of understand but it's such a tiny drop in the ocean it wouldn't bother me.

What really puts me off is because I always stay with friends who are not family. I'm a guy and sometimes stay with a female friend with is not a girlfriend but it sets off red flags at security. I've ended up in secondary security before and it's not fun, dealing with that after a 14hr flight.

What has made Thailand such an obsession for Irish people? I see it mentioned so much and I don’t recall a well known TV show about it or anything like that. Is it travel influencers or something?

I think it's because it's cheap, safer that other countries in the region, they accommodate English speakers, enough of a culture difference to be really interesting but nothing too crazy, no vaccines needed if you stay out of the jungle.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    This.

I know 2 couples who are almost in direct competition with one other as to who can see the most and/or get there first or who can go to most far flung places.

They cant be even enjoying themselves with all the traveling and actual time they get to spend in anyone place.

As an example, they might take 10 days to go to say California. They'd Fly to San Francisco for 2 days, before heading down to LA for 1 day, before taking a flight to Hawaii for 3 days, back to LA for 1, to Vegas for 2, then fly home out of San Diego having spent a morning there.

Instead of spending a actual week in 1 or 2 places and taking in the country, sights and cultures.

Yeah I would doubt they are having any fun.
    Best thing to do is ignore it as most the time it's just attention they crave.

Lady boys

Thailand is a beautiful country, the weather is lovely, if you go at the right time, it is so much cheaper than anywhere near Ireland.
    That doesn't even take into account people that like to go to different countries to experience different cultures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭worded

Tellyium wrote: »
    Was his nickname boomerang?

Did you hear about the Irish boomerang? It didn’t come back, but just kept singing about wanting to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Countries get in and out of fashion and it wouldn't be first time Thailand is popular. It is very easy to travel, safe (at least it was 20 years ago), friendly people, stunning countryside and great cheap food. Even if you are completely unprepared someone will pick you up from the bus/train station, take you to their acckmodation and cook you great food for very little money (at least it used to be like that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭boardise

I do not like travelling unless there is a reason - Epsom for the Derby, Las Vegas for poker, Melbourne for the Melbourne Cup - a gambling reason.
    Hope you fit in the Kentucky Derby / Breeders Cup for a full house !

meeeeh wrote: »
    Countries get in and out of fashion and it wouldn't be first time Thailand is popular. It is very easy to travel, safe (at least it was 20 years ago), friendly people, stunning countryside and great cheap food. Even if you are completely unprepared someone will pick you up from the bus/train station, take you to their acckmodation and cook you great food for very little money (at least it used to be like that).

As far as I know it's still like that.
    Occasionally there is civil unrest because of the people being unhappy with the government and this is a time you would have to be careful but it never lasts too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It simply doesn't appeal to many people. Nothing more to say really, none of my grandparents travel, they're not sick or in poor health and have lots of money and an abundance of free time, they are just comfortable where they are and get no enjoyment from traveling abroad. And it's not even down to lack of initiative because when anyone suggests a holiday abroad for their anniversary or a big occasion they are just uninterested, don't see the point in it and wonder why you wouldn't just celebrate it in a nice hotel nearby. I think it is a misuse of your valuable later retirement years but each to their own, everyone is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Feck me gently if I dont worry about "those things" who does?

Purgative wrote: »
    Feck me gently if I dont worry about "those things" who does?

Your list doesn't bother my, I don't see it like that.
    But at the same time there are so many countries, why would you go to one you are uncomfortable with.

Irish people are quite good for travelling. Spain, Italy and France people are very content to stay within their home countries and holiday in the same locations within their country every year. They have the option of good weather, food, skiing, the beach, mountains, camping and many of them only speak their native language.
    In Spain, it’s very common for people to have their home in the city and a country or beach home that they visit during the year. They are very stuck in their ways in that respect but in a good way if you know what I mean.

My idea of a holiday is eating, drinking and lying down

https://twitter.com/SebastianComedy/status/1028744205051486208?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Irish people are quite good for travelling. Spain, Italy and France people are very content to stay within their home countries and holiday in the same locations within their country every year. They have the option of good weather, food, skiing, the beach, mountains, camping and many of them only speak their native language.
    In Spain, it’s very common for people to have their home in the city and a country or beach home that they visit during the year. They are very stuck in their ways in that respect but in a good way if you know what I mean.

The countries you mentioned get seriously good and consistently good weather in the summer, they also have great coastal destinations with varied amenities and activities... ie The Parisians heading down to the Cote D’Azur, cheap to get too and very accessible both flying and by train.

Strumms wrote: »
    The countries you mentioned get seriously good and consistently good weather in the summer, they also have great coastal destinations with varied amenities and activities... ie The Parisians heading down to the Cote D’Azur, cheap to get too and very accessible both flying and by train.

You basically just repeated the exact point I was trying to make. At least make an attempt to come up with your own material instead of trying to plagiarise mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You basically just repeated the exact point I was trying to make. At least make an attempt to come up with your own material instead of trying to plagiarise mine.

People are entitled to express their own views, it’s a forum , you’d probably want to familiarize yourself with the dictionary meaning of the word ‘plagiarize’ if you are determined to accuse people of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement