Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who don’t (or won’t) travel

1235»

Comments

There is a difference in travelling & going on holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Some here need to either have a holiday, a hike or sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I find that with a lot of people, the sole reason they travel is to A) tell everyone about where they will be going and B) to tell everyone about where they have been.

The experience is irrelevant to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Hate airports, hate being crammed in beside some annoying twat for 8 hours (or seated behind a reclining one) on a plane, hate going to crowded tourist places that generally also seem to be populated by annoying twats. I've seen the pictures of full moon parties or that bit of Thailand where 'The Beach' was filmed and I honestly have no desire to frequent them just for the sake of it. I've been to ****ty Times Square, the hole that is anywhere except the 2 square miles around the White House in DC, boring Boston, junkie ridden Vancouver, boring & expensive Iceland, England etc and have come to the conclusion that travel is not for me.

Instead I prefer to spend zero time getting to and queuing umpteen times in an airport, and use my 'holiday' money to go to really nice hotels here, get a nice room with a big bath, read a book, order room service and relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I find that with a lot of people, the sole reason they travel is to A) tell everyone about where they will be going and B) to tell everyone about where they have been.

The experience is irrelevant to them.

I feel like Instagram has changed the way people travel. I have friends who are in competition with each other to travel to as many places and post every snap on Instagram.

A friend says she has bad anxiety that she can't visit as many countries as she'd like to and was jealous that another friend had booked a trip to China before her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

What has made Thailand such an obsession for Irish people? I see it mentioned so much and I don’t recall a well known TV show about it or anything like that. Is it travel influencers or something?

It's a tropical place that has sold its tourism well. Personally I prefer Malaysia as I feel Malaysian's are friendly without agenda where as Thais want to sell you something.

Some beautiful places in Thailand to lie on a beach but most places in Southeast Asia have them. Food in Thailand is exciting I suppose but I prefer Indian. With my food allergies Thailand is a death trap for me.

I was meant to move to Koh Samui this month until August but thanks to the company restructuring I didn't have to so choose to stay in Kuala Lumpur.

Going to Vietnam next month and really looking forward to exploring it a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Witchie wrote: »
    It's a tropical place that has sold its tourism well. Personally I prefer Malaysia as I feel Malaysian's are friendly without agenda where as Thais want to sell you something.

Some beautiful places in Thailand to lie on a beach but most places in Southeast Asia have them. Food in Thailand is exciting I suppose but I prefer Indian. With my food allergies Thailand is a death trap for me.

I was meant to move to Koh Samui this month until August but thanks to the company restructuring I didn't have to so choose to stay in Kuala Lumpur.

Going to Vietnam next month and really looking forward to exploring it a little.

If your going to Vietnam i would recommend Phu Quoc , it's stunning.
    As for Thailand i find the people so friendly, yes you do get people selling stuff but a simple no thank you and they are away, unlike the people you find selling in european resorts who seem to never take no for an answer.

bubblypop wrote: »
    There is a difference in travelling & going on holidays

I used to think so, but for the vast majority, it's all just holidays. I would now call my seven months backpacking in SEA a decade ago a "five-month holiday with two months of travelling".

There's still some travelling I want to do in this world but most of what I want is straight-up holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    If your going to Vietnam i would recommend Phu Quoc , it's stunning.
    As for Thailand i find the people so friendly, yes you do get people selling stuff but a simple no thank you and they are away, unlike the people you find selling in european resorts who seem to never take no for an answer.

Had looked at Phu Quoc but am initially exploring Ho Chi Minh then will decide where next.

I know what you are saying about them taking no for an answer, unlike Bali and India, but what am saying is that I have found the Thai almost fake friendly as they know they can make money from you. In Malaysia, they just smile and chat like in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Someone mentioned airports?

A while back someone here posted a film of airport cops at various airports and that terrified so greatly will never travel again! Armed to the proverbial teeth! Or is that part of the mind expanding experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Graces7 wrote: »
    Someone mentioned airports?

A while back someone here posted a film of airport cops at various airports and that terrified so greatly will never travel again! Armed to the proverbial teeth! Or is that part of the mind expanding experience?

That depends, how frequently do innocent travellers get gunned down by these police?

That is not the point! Until I came to Ireland and saw money being delivered to banks I had never seen a real gun in my life. While I was waiting for a friend, soldier perched against my car bonnet ...

They are fearsome sights . I trust no one with a gun and not a way to start a carefree holiday!

tuxy wrote: »
    That depends, how frequently do innocent travellers get gunned down by these police?

That is not the point! Until I came to Ireland and saw money being delivered to banks I had never seen a real gun in my life. While I was waiting for a friend, soldier perched against my car bonnet ...

They are fearsome sights . I trust no one with a gun and not a way to start a carefree holiday!

Interesting, I grew up in the countryside in Ireland where I would frequently see hunters walking the roads between fields with gun in hand.

I can see how we would feel completely different about it.
    That said in terms of seeing guns in public I think Ireland has a lower rate of that than most countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Witchie wrote: »
    Had looked at Phu Quoc but am initially exploring Ho Chi Minh then will decide where next.

I know what you are saying about them taking no for an answer, unlike Bali and India, but what am saying is that I have found the Thai almost fake friendly as they know they can make money from you. In Malaysia, they just smile and chat like in Ireland.

HCM was an experience. The tunnels are a must. Be prepared for a lot of bikes and beeping and generally them all driving on the right, left and footpaths. It's some experience lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Where did you come from?

Some street police in English cities are armed with machine guns. Most police in other countries have handguns.

I've seen SWAT vans outside airports in the US, seems to be a common thing. Most of the cop cars have shotguns in the back.

Ireland is fairly unique in that most Gardai are unarmed. I grew up in the country and hunters and gun clubs are fairly common.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I personally don't see how somebody wouldn't want to travel at some point in their lives. Now in my late 70s I restrict my travels to organised holiday tours mostly, as I'm past relying on my own wits to get around unfamiliar countries but the desire to see new places and visit sights I've read about is still strong. I find armed security at airports much more comforting than alarming.

In my younger days I hiked my way around many countries and when I started studying and working I was fortunate to visit many dozens of countries and spend time in places most tourists never see.
    Travelling certainly broadens the mind and gives us a better perception of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Where did you come from?

Some street police in English cities are armed with machine guns. Most police in other countries have handguns.

I've seen SWAT vans outside airports in the US, seems to be a common thing. Most of the cop cars have shotguns in the back.

Ireland is fairly unique in that most Gardai are unarmed. I grew up in the country and hunters and gun clubs are fairly common.

Agreed. You'll see much less armed guards or soldiers in Ireland than the US and most countries in Europe. Armed police on city streets are a common sight in France, Germany, Denmark, Italy, Netherlands etc.

Agreed. You'll see much less armed guards or soldiers in Ireland than the US and most countries in Europe. Armed police on city streets are a common sight in France, Germany, Denmark, Italy, Netherlands etc.

Yes I'd actually love to know where Graces7 is from, no country comes to mind.
    But anonymity online is important to some people so they may not want to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I don't care much for going abroad for holidays. Why should I waste money doing that when I can relax at home instead?

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I don't care much for going abroad for holidays. Why should I waste money doing that when I can relax at home instead?

If you have a stressful job then that relaxation is needed, even if you don't sometimes it's important to just sit and do very little.
    Traveling is tiring but can be very interesting and rewarding.

• Advertisement

Thank you and yes. My US friends online say the same, and long may Ireland's peacability last. Peace in our streets.

But in the UK as I knew it, there were no guns in police hands and I was heading for 60 so here was a baptism of fire.

It is as you rightly say what you are used to and as I said I had never ever seen a real gun close up . Got a little easier about it as I saw more army and banks and now they don't do that any more
    I had driven a friend to town and she needed the bank, and while she was in there they arrived to protect a cash delivery. One leant literally on my car bonnet, gun at the ready, back to me, and I felt like fleeing..

The film I was referring to was one collated by a boardsie of airport police around the world and OH BOY! I think it was the Spanish ones... fearsome creatures as they are meant to be. Not like our British bobby!

Although the idea of my travelling is academic as not able for it any more. Maybe one last dash to be with family for the needy years.
    Interesting, I grew up in the countryside in Ireland where I would frequently see hunters walking the roads between fields with gun in hand.

I can see how we would feel completely different about it.
    That said in terms of seeing guns in public I think Ireland has a lower rate of that than most countries.

Already answered as I am English . Never saw a gun in public and never in police hands. Our Bobbies were great. Helmets and all!
    Yes I'd actually love to know where Graces7 is from, no country comes to mind.
    But anonymity online is important to some people so they may not want to answer.

Already answered as I am English . Never saw a gun in public and never in police hands. Our Bobbies were great. Helmets and all!

But England has a far higher concentration of armed police than Ireland......

Only in emergency were/are UK police armed , when they call out the armed patrol units Not ever as routine. Very carefully regulated - or were in my time there which was never in cities. Not as routine. Same as here in Ireland.

US is terrible and I would never go there.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Where did you come from?

Same as the UK exactly thankfully.

Ireland is fairly unique in that most Gardai are unarmed. I grew up in the country and hunters and gun clubs are fairly common.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it but been away 20 years and 10 before that in deep rural Scortland so no idea and I don't care!..No plan to return there

You have some erroneous ideas but will leave you all to it .. Only one kingdom I am interested in and it is neither UK nor Ireland

But England has a far higher concentration of armed police than Ireland......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Only in emergency were/are UK police armed , when they call out the armed patrol units Not ever as routine. Very carefully regulated - or were in my time there which was never in cities. Not as routine. Same as here in Ireland.

US is terrible and I would never go there.

But aren't armed cops based full time at gatwick and heathrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

But aren't armed cops based full time at gatwick and heathrow?

Indeed they are. But that's a relatively recent phenomenon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Indeed they are. But that's a relatively recent phenomenon.

Hmmm i seem to recall going back as far as 2006 seeing armed patrol in Heathrow (If that is relatively recent)

Armed Gardai units also on patrol at Dublin airport since 2016

google it?

Airports are a different matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Hmmm i seem to recall going back as far as 2006 seeing armed patrol in Heathrow (If that is relatively recent)

Well, I guess time is relative! I think it would have been around 06, alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Another reason is disease. Fast modern travel allows disease to spread easily around the world. Yesterday in Hong Kong today in London etc. etc.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Well, I guess time is relative! I think it would have been around 06, alright.

Back around that time I saw many armed police in Stanstead and other UK airports but never saw any in Dublin.

Now Dublin probably had some but there were far less or at less less visible.
    I doubt it but been away 20 years and 10 before that in deep rural Scortland so no idea and I don't care!..No plan to return there

You have some erroneous ideas but will leave you all to it .. Only one kingdom I am interested in and it is neither UK nor Ireland

I have no doubt that there is a higher chance of seeing armed police/defence forces in larger Irish towns and cities than in rural Scotland.
    I'm not really sure what the point is there.

Which Ideas are erroneous and is the kingdom you are interesed in Narnia?
    No guns there I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I liked travelling when I first started to travel when I was young. But over the years I've gone off it, I don't like flying, airports, coaches, ferries. It always feels like such a slog to me. Being abroad is great, it's the getting there I don't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Lot of people just have no interest in seeing the world or experiencing other cultures. Friend of mine got married last year. He's always been a big traveller and we've done a good few jaunts in Europe when we were in our 20's. His wife is the exact opposite. He dragged her around the US on a road trip and she was counting the days til she got back. Much prefers being home, local people and local stuff is her bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Some people just aren't interested in it. I've only become interested in it in recent times, and also my finances were limited for a good while with house buying. Never did the long stints in Asia/Latin America when younger - did not appeal at all. Just Med holidays like Majorca and Turkey; France, Spain, UK, the northeastern US to stay with relations which was my longest trip (three weeks; didn't appreciate it enough at the time - would be in my element now).

Starting to become interested in exploring the US more and Canada now though - was back in the States recently (the deep south) which was awesome. I've two places to stay in northern California which is very exciting. And NYC too but out west holds more interest for me. Also I'd like to venture further east and north in Europe. And ultimately, a stint in Oz/NZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,891 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Agricola wrote: »
    His wife is the exact opposite. He dragged her around the US on a road trip and she was counting the days til she got back. Much prefers being home, local people and local stuff is her bag.

I actually know of couples who gave up going in holidays together because one of them hated it so much.
    She generally goes away with a pal and he does his own thing here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Some people are home birds and there's nothing wrong with that. In fact there seems to be enormous pressure on people to travel and see the world. Some just couldn't be ar$ed and that's their right. So what if they are happy with what they do or don't do?

I could go anywhere I want at this stage of my life, but have become a bit tired of the hassle of travelling right now. You would not believe the amount of people who say that I should be off travelling the world, now that I can. Huh? Did all that when younger, can't be bothered now.

But, in a way I wish I could gather up some enthusiasm for airports, transfers, tiredness, jet lag and all the rest of it, but I can't.

So we have decided to buy Inter Rail 1st class tickets and roam around Europe for a month. I love trains (big kid!), and the fun of plotting an itinerary really appeals. I'm done with airports for the moment really it is just far too stressful these days, but I have to go to Texas this year for a gathering for one of my outlaws who died there last year. Hmmm. Wish me luck. Only positive is pre clearance in Dub. I'm sure we will enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but if I could get out of it I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I think there a various factors.
    1. As you said financial.
    2. Sometimes people have money but would prefer to put it into something they'd enjoy more.
    3. Then there's just general fear of doing something new or different.
    4. I'm from a farming background and I know lots of people who are always working and there Summer Holiday would be an afternoon at the sea side.
    5. They tried going some where and they just didn't like it.

I just don't have time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement