Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

86/85m 3430-3500

• 21-01-2020 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭

does anyone ever hear the pirates chatting on the 86/85m 3430-3500 band?,i used to hear them years ago.
    just wondering do the still operate there?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

bassy wrote: »
    does anyone ever hear the pirates chatting on the 86/85m 3430-3500 band?,i used to hear them years ago.
    just wondering do the still operate there?.

Haven't listened there for ages, but last I heard were French stations

Night time band it was known in the old days,

45 mtr band was all the go for ages, also pirate freq just under the 20m and 17m bands and also on 2 Mhz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Malmsteen

FreeBanders Pirates usual haunts ;-)

100m Band - 2,920 MHz AM Russia Calling Freq.

85m Band - 3,450 MHz - 3,495 MHz LSB (3,470 MHz LSB Calling Freq.)

76m Band - 3,900 MHz - 3,950 MHz LSB/USB

48m Band - 6,200 MHz - 6,400 MHz LSB/USB/AM (AM Pirate Radio Stations)

45m Band - 6,600 MHz - 6,700 MHz LSB (6,635 MHz LSB Calling Freq.)

29m Band - 10,460 MHz USB

21m Band - 13,900 MHz - 13,995 MHz USB (13,970 MHz USB Calling Freq.)

21m Band - 13,553 MHz - 13,567 MHz USB (13,555 MHz USB Calling Freq.)

16m Band - 18,010 MHz - 18,050 MHz USB (18,030 MHz USB Calling Freq.)

14m Band - 20,900 MHz - 20,980 MHz USB (20,930 MHz USB Calling Freq.)

11m Band - 27,415 MHz - 27,999 MHz USB/LSB (27,555 MHz USB Calling Freq.)

11m Band - 27,765

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

Malmsteen wrote: »
    FreeBanders Pirates usual haunts ;-)

100m Band - 2,920 MHz AM Russia Calling Freq.

85m Band - 3,450 MHz - 3,495 MHz LSB (3,470 MHz LSB Calling Freq.)

76m Band - 3,900 MHz - 3,950 MHz LSB/USB

48m Band - 6,200 MHz - 6,400 MHz LSB/USB/AM (AM Pirate Radio Stations)

45m Band - 6,600 MHz - 6,700 MHz LSB (6,635 MHz LSB Calling Freq.)

29m Band - 10,460 MHz USB

21m Band - 13,900 MHz - 13,995 MHz USB (13,970 MHz USB Calling Freq.)

21m Band - 13,553 MHz - 13,567 MHz USB (13,555 MHz USB Calling Freq.)

16m Band - 18,010 MHz - 18,050 MHz USB (18,030 MHz USB Calling Freq.)

14m Band - 20,900 MHz - 20,980 MHz USB (20,930 MHz USB Calling Freq.)

11m Band - 27,415 MHz - 27,999 MHz USB/LSB (27,555 MHz USB Calling Freq.)

11m Band - 27,765

Yes but is there any activity on 45m and 86m these days ??.

Not Sure about 45m havent listened there in a while but did hear Freebanders on 85m Sun evening manly Russian Freebanders but other European signalsd could be heard on 3470mhz...

Malmsteen wrote: »
    Not Sure about 45m havent listened there in a while but did hear Freebanders on 85m Sun evening manly Russian Freebanders but other European signalsd could be heard on 3470mhz...

Good few years ago used to be lots of English stations transmitting on 86m,wonder where there all gone or if there still on 86m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

bassy wrote: »
    Good few years ago used to be lots of English stations transmitting on 86m,wonder where there all gone or if there still on 86m

used to be few licensed ops. on there and on 45, often forgetting and giving their licensed call.

the powers that be, didn't bother too much about the freebanders, however I know a couple of guys that were bursted for pirating on the ham bands under fictitious calls or using some one else's call.

a fairly hefty fine and all equipment taken

rest must have been scared away...………………..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,485 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This is a fairly recent video, with some useful links. Dodgy subtitles. I never heard much around 3.4, but 6.6 has some activity.

Got to love the Dx commander speaks the Truth and his Gear isnt to bad either....

I never hear any thing on 45m or 86m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

it's so easy to get a licence in the UK why would they bother to pirate, Just collect the few corn flake box tokens and pay the fee and away you go,

There is so little activity here on bands you can use no one is going to bother on ones you can't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

I must find my old log book. Started off on 11m with various rigs and aeriels. Then moved up to a FT101ZD and 2 element cubical quad. Then rumours went around about other bands. This would be 1981ish.

6.60mhz was the calling freq for 45m. Mainly European stations. Lots of India Baker callsigns. (International Breaker) I used a homemade Inverted Vee as an antenna.

I also worked a few on 86m. Not many.
    Happy memories. I sold up in 86. I really would love to get back into it as I'm close to retirement, legally of course.
    I must find out more info about the exam.

OldRio wrote: »
    I must find my old log book. Started off on 11m with various rigs and aeriels. Then moved up to a FT101ZD and 2 element cubical quad. Then rumours went around about other bands. This would be 1981ish.

6.60mhz was the calling freq for 45m. Mainly European stations. Lots of India Baker callsigns. (International Breaker) I used a homemade Inverted Vee as an antenna.

I also worked a few on 86m. Not many.
    Happy memories. I sold up in 86. I really would love to get back into it as I'm close to retirement, legally of course.
    I must find out more info about the exam.

Yeah do it now, apply now for the May exam, next one after that is November, it's not hard to do just learn band plans inside out and beacon frequencies.

Learn the rules and regulations.

First of all, apply for the exam here https://www.irts.ie/cgi/st.cgi?applying

Apply asap because it's a long wait to November.

All you need to study for the Irish exam is here https://www.hamradio.ie/course-guide/intro/course_guide.html

You need no other material, don't let anyone tell you to look at U.K sites or New Zealand sites for material, everything you need is on the IRTS site.

Once you get the license it opens a lot more options and bands for you and it's a lot of fun. I love working portable, heading off on a nice Sunny day with all my portable gear and just head to a nice quiet spot.

Unfortunately with work and small Children my time is limited but at least I have the license and can get on the radio when I get the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Felim_Doyle

eiei0 wrote: »
    it's so easy to get a licence in the UK why would they bother to pirate, Just collect the few corn flake box tokens and pay the fee and away you go,

There is so little activity here on bands you can use no one is going to bother on ones you can't
    Because they're anarchists!

CB was eventually legalised in the UK for AM/FM/SSB on the CEPT channels in addition to the existing UK only FM allocation. However, operating legally isn't good enough for some so they operate out of band and over power without regard for other band users.

Most of these pirates are unqualified to use the equipment that they have and know nothing about potential interference to others. This is borne out by the quality of questions I see on social media and radio forums: "I've just bought this 200W all-band transceiver, how do I use it, what antenna do I need, what frequencies can I use ... ?" and the responses are usually no better. 🙄

Some hospital paging systems still use frequencies in the 26-27MHz range and there are remote control and scientific allocations there too but the pirates don't care!

At the same time as CEPT CB was legalised in the UK there was a move by Ofcom to deregulate CB and Amateur Radio too. Most Amateurs petitioned successfully to keep their hobby licenced and regulated for a variety of valid reasons but the CBers couldn't wait to be deregulated and licence free (although that doesn't mean lawless or outside of the Wireless Telegraphy Act and other applicable conditions).

The end result now is that there is no record of how many CB users are still operating and who or where they are. At some point in the future, Ofcom or the MoD could commandeer the 26-27MHz band on the basis of lack of use and nobody could dispute it. Also, retailers, clubs, societies, special interest groups and event organisers have no means of contacting CB users en masse or establishing the numbers of interested parties to evaluate whether certain activities are worth while.

These anarchists have intentionally left themselves out in the cold! Licenced Amateurs who operate out of band are anarchists too who get a thrill from operating illegally and deserve to have their licences revoked and equipment confiscated.

Ofcom and ComReg need to make the effort periodically to clamp down on a few offenders to focus the minds of others and for the benefit of other band users rather than waiting until one of these deviants causes real harm.

In fairness there's a lot of bad operating by Hams too even well experienced hams, running huge power that splatters several Khz up and down but that's ok as long as they can be heard.

Then there's those Audio enthusiasts who keep complementing eachother about their wonderful audio all day/night, 4 Khz wide with no regard for others. Why don't they use AM ffs ? go to 160 M ? why on a crowded Ham band transmit 4 Khz wide ?

I remember hearing a confrontation between a couple of U.K hams about this where one guy was transmitting already for a while then the audio enthusiasts come on and interfered with his frequency then got highly defensive when he challenged them about it.

Unregulated Ham bands would destroy the hobby with all sorts of fools interfering with others.

Somewhere else in Europe they also wanted to de-regulate the ham bands, can't for the life of me remember now.

Who's making these decisions to determine that the radio spectrum is not worth protecting ? those that only listen to spotify ? DUH, what's shortwave ? duh, what's HAM radio ? duh, who are these freaks that talk on radio ?

Advertisement