Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fail promises 100,000 houses in 5 years

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

893bet wrote: »
    These houses are not for people with jobs.

He means that jobs will be provided by way of building the houses — bricklayers, plumbers, etc.

But the country is already at full employment, so it's a massive Keynesian stimulus program for Eastern Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,557 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

2020Vision wrote:
    Not forgetting The Boxer Moron and Doofus from Waterford! (in the same week that the election was announced, The Boxer let slip that he couldn't stand Shane Ross - coincidence or wha?)!
    The Boxer is highly thought of in his constituency. He is guaranteed to get back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Not just Fianna Fail

Social Democrats pledge 100,000 houses in five years

https://www.rte.ie/news/campaign-daily/2020/0121/1109830-social-democrats-housing/

Will be interesting to see how many social houses FG will promise

It will definitely be close to the 100,000 figure

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

That's a huge problem that needs to be addressed. Social housing should not be a golden ticket - people who don't pay their rent, cause trouble, make a mess should be out on their ears.

Also, I'm presuming, the €16bn doesn't need to be paid back like a mortgage and can be paid back over a longer timespan rather than the life of the occupants. Also the €16bn doesn't disappear - it generates economic activity locally.

Seeing social housing as a liability rather than an asset is deeply ideological 'if someone isn't making a profit in the here-and-now then it's not viable' - nobody would say the same of a public road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Not just Fianna Fail

Social Democrats pledge 100,000 houses in five years

https://www.rte.ie/news/campaign-daily/2020/0121/1109830-social-democrats-housing/

Will be interesting to see how many social houses FG will promise

It will definitely be close to the 100,000 figure

FG don't build social houses. They have backed the market to deliver the requisite supply. As such, their policy is likely to involve promises to stimulate the market further rather than having the State fund the development of social housing. This, as a policy, is a failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭dubrov

Where are FF going to get all these builders from?

The construction industry is at full throttle already (although capacity is slowly growing). 100,000 government built house will likely result in 100,000 less houses being built in the private sector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

dubrov wrote: »

Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Why don't FF come out with we will slash house prices by around half like we did the last time we were in power

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

True that

That policy isn't working for them though so they will def need to commit to building social or affordable housing

Personally I'd prefer it to be weighted to affordable housing rather than social housing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

dubrov wrote: »

The construction industry is at full throttle already (although capacity is slowly growing). 100,000 government built house will likely result in 100,000 less houses being built in the private sector

But at least it would be a better investment than pumping rental assistance to those 100,000 houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

pjohnson wrote: »
    FG have the landlord vote sewn up anyway. Last thing any landlord wants it the housing market addressed.

Exactly,more houses mean rent decreases.....we don’t want that
    We’ll just continue riding the young people for every last penny..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

Poland.

No chance, Polands economy is going well. An engineering crowd has lost a good few polish lads in the last year heading home. The boss man was saying they won't pay the rents here anymore n cost of living to high here for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

want to provide masses of housing, want to delay decades over due public transport improvement again! They are all against mid and high rise in central dublin. I disconnected my doorbell yesterday, I wouldnt give those wasters and morons a second of my time! These people now looking for your votes, they are the problem! What have they spent the last few years doing? looking to block development, bus connects, dublin metro!

with bus connects, some people might lose a bif of their front garden, boo hoo! How much do you use your front garden? I have zero sympathy, unless they lost the ability to park in their front garden. They say you cant make an omelette without breaking eggs, well we have the opposite here with Irish politicians, you cant get anything done, when you wont touch anything!

Endless public consultations, plan, then bang recession and its all scrapped again. Redesign the wheel from scratch at the next upswing! I really wonder though, do we the electorate actually deserve the S**t we are served?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Holy crap, Fianna Fail are not even back in power and they are on a promise to do their famous party trick and put the country back into receivership. 30 billion over five years. If senior management bankrupted a company, would you give them a second chance 10 years later? No you wouldn't. So why do it with a whole country. People have very short memories of how this party made a lot of people suffer. They didn't give a bo**ox about their reckless behaviour 10 years ago, had no shame and have no remorse to this day. They blamed the whole thing on world events and took absolutely no responsibility. OMG! we are fcuked.

Again, it was the banks that over lent and were effectively bankrupt, the public funds weren't too bad, with us running regular surpluses

They promise 100,000 houses... doesn't say they're new houses.
    They probably mean they'll support the vulture funds to evict the 100,000 non-paying mortgage holders and free up housing stock.

no, they will buy up private stock, competing against workers! Genius! Their only concern is to be looking like they are doing a job and trying to maintain or decrease homeless and housing figures.

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Why don't FF come out with we will slash house prices by around half like we did the last time we were in power

good idea. Prices will increase when they are back in, collapse after they have busted us again! Start saving lads and wait for the crash if they get in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭dubrov

Poland.

Private companies are trying to hire builders from much further than Polan with little success. Why would FF be some much better at attracting workers?

Also, if FF are saying they can build houses for 300k each now, the final bill is likely to be 600k+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Ah good old Fianna Fail...when it comes to how they run and ultimately ruin an economy, they are nothing if not consistent.

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

eagle eye wrote: »
    The Boxer is highly thought of in his constituency. He is guaranteed to get back in.

I don't doubt it. Although whether that's good news for the country or otherwise is open to debate!

For me, the fact that it took him over four years to realise that Shane Ross is a complete pain in the backside suggests that he may not be the brightest resident of Longford-Westmeath!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SF were in with that daft idea first! You can see what FF are up to, stealing their thunder on vote buying. They clearly view them as a threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

So Fianna Fáil, Sinn Fein and the social democrats have said the same thing but yet the narrative is ‘good aul FF at it again....’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Remind me wrote: »
    So Fianna Fáil, Sinn Fein and the social democrats have said the same thing but yet the narrative is ‘good aul FF at it again....’

Well who is the more likely to get into power and implement said policy? And who has a history of getting into power and implementing a similar policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,557 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

2020Vision wrote:
    For me, the fact that it took him over four years to realise that Shane Ross is a complete pain in the backside suggests that he may not be the brightest resident of Longford-Westmeath!
    I'm not what n his area but everybody I know from there has good things to say about him.
    He might have been too busy to get involved in any of that but it's election time now so he has to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Are they going to ship in unemployed people to fill them?

Yeah better spend your taxes on 25 year leases for luxury apartments and hotels :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Remind me wrote: »
    I think it's that they are all on the loon express. The difference is that FF can implement a policy like that. Looking forward to when they've all announced all their goodies so people can poke holes in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Well who is the more likely to get into power and implement said policy? And who has a history of getting into power and implementing a similar policy?

Agreed but all you have to do is listen to any PQ session in the Dail where you will hear crazy proposed policies from all sides.

I am surprised by SF in this. Eoin O’Broin is generally quite good in quizzing Eoghan Murphy and has decent proposals but I don’t recall him giving figures like SF are currently saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,149 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

How we gonna pay for that

Phase 1
    Collect underpants

Phase 2
    ???

Phase 3
    Profit

• Registered Users Posts: 18,149 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'd guess their portfolio is based on employing tens of thousands to build these houses and paying for them with the taxes from said construction workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Jizique

He is wrong and likes to see house prices rising perpetually, which would not happen if more homes were to finally be built.

More and more people require assistance from the government to pay their rent and this money comes from taxpayers. The fact Mark Keegan completely ignored the fact that the State can borrow at practically no cost on the international markets shows how off the mark he is, €422m of exchequer cash was made available to the HAP scheme in 2019.

Won’t be able to borrow at no cost if FF get back in for a few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Why 5 years?

They would knock that amount out in 18 months back in the day.

Advertisement