Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fail promises 100,000 houses in 5 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Boggles wrote: »
    Why 5 years?

They would knock that amount out in 18 months back in the day.

Because it takes an age to get through planning, objections, contracting, sub-contracting, ancilliary works like power, water and transport...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Dickerty wrote: »
    Because it takes an age to get through planning, objections, contracting, sub-contracting, ancilliary works like power, water and transport...

Quick meeting and a drink in a tent use to get all that sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

The new Apartments on Bray seafront being built where All sold to an investment fund. This country is a disgrace, the government allowing this to happen. Anyone who wanted to buy can now expect to pay a hell of lot more when they go on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

All these promises from all the parites are so tiresome. No weight behind them at all.

No one will be on trollies if we get in.
    We'll lower taxes.
    We'll build all the houses.

Same promises every time, then they get into power and continue on the same way as the incumbent TDs, lining their own pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Klopp wrote: »
    The new Apartments on Bray seafront being built where All sold to an investment fund. This country is a disgrace, the government allowing this to happen. Anyone who wanted to buy can now expect to pay a hell of lot more when they go on sale.

And the investment fund was likely charged a low tax rate. That's one of the reasons we have them coming in from all over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

What would you do? Pretty sure restricting sales of properties goes against EU law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

What would you do? Pretty sure restricting sales of properties goes against EU law.

Charge the funds a crippling tax rather than a low inviting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Again, it was the banks that over lent and were effectively bankrupt, the public funds weren't too bad, with us running regular surpluses
    But don't you know, If you have it you will spend it, and if you don't you won't.
    The FF motto.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Just build a new city, somewhere out in the sticks, Russia is building one for 100,000 folks inside an old mine.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/architecture/a-warren-of-streets-eco-city-2020-2149826.html

China is building x285 new eco-cities. UAE is building a new sustainable city from nothing, 17miles outside Dubai.
    India is building a 217km2 carbon-neutral city (Amaravati) with 1kmx5.5km green-spine (designed by Foster+) with mixed usage https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/amaravati-india-sustainable-city/index.html
    Farmers have been given incentives to hand over their land towards the project which is already underway.

A new city will alleviate all current congestion and demand for many years to come.

where would we locate this city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Jim Root wrote: »

Dublin Port.
    Jizique wrote: »
    Won’t be able to borrow at no cost if FF get back in for a few years

On what basis?
    893bet wrote: »
    These houses are not for people with jobs.

But the houses these people are currently renting would be brought back into the market for those who do not require State assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

100,000 houses for €30 billion is €300,000 per house. It should not cost €300,000 for one social housing unit.

That is pretty much what it will cost for the government to contract out that project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

That is pretty much what it will cost for the government to contract out that project.

Additionally, DLR county council has reportedly entered into a 30 year lease at 3k per month per dwelling to rent out apartments from an investment fund in order to house social tenants. 300k per dwelling build cost in this context doesn't seem so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Jim Root wrote: »
    Midlands. Ideally the geographical centre of the Island.

Build it high, green and mightly.

That way once the empty fields are aquired off some farmer, there would be close to zero planning isuses, traffic disruption and inconvience. Entire project managed as a single project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Dickerty wrote: »

Objections is one thing that really bugs me and I suspect one of the biggest causes of delays. NIMBYISTS stopping progress.

2 good recent examples are Metro North and St Annes Park apartments.

In relation to a new city, there is certainly a case for Athlone/Mullingar region to be developed into a well designed cityscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Any mention of where these 100,000 homes will be built?
    Isn't it also a well known fact thta large amount of social housing in one area leads to social issues in the areas later on, so I do assume the plan isn't to just build large swats of social housing in one area.

Or will they worry about figuring that out later?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The problem is not that investment funds are buying up these apartment blocks. They are doing so because there is a huge rental demand.
    The problem is that were not building enough to supply both rental and purchase demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Any mention of where these 100,000 homes will be built?
    Isn't it also a well known fact thta large amount of social housing in one area leads to social issues in the areas later on, so I do assume the plan isn't to just build large swats of social housing in one area.

Or will they worry about figuring that out later?

The reality is that mass housing needs to be built of we want to have it affordable at scale.
    Trying to buy 20% of private housing to get round this problem is a proven failure.

The y'all issue is that the bleeding heart left won't allow us to kick out anti social elements in these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I'd guess their portfolio is based on employing tens of thousands to build these houses and paying for them with the taxes from said construction workers.

That is so 1999 FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

Boggles wrote: »
    Quick meeting and a drink in a tent use to get all that sorted.

Gov can pass legislation in a day or two if it really wants to. It has done so in the past re a big insurance collapse issue and was not the same thing done in 2007, I think , re the bail out. So if FF wants to build the 100,00 houses that it says are needed right now , nothing is stoping it to have the wording ready to change the law overnight and get shovels into the ground within a day or two. All parties would support this strategy , except FG, and all parties have housing as a top priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Objections is one thing that really bugs me and I suspect one of the biggest causes of delays. NIMBYISTS stopping progress.

2 good recent examples are Metro North and St Annes Park apartments.

In relation to a new city, there is certainly a case for Athlone/Mullingar region to be developed into a well designed cityscape.

The next gov treats the housing situation as a DISCRASEFUL immergency and freeze the law re objections until the problem is solved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

There a lot of votes among those objections. (some are genuine objectors, some are ****ing nimbys)

No TD is going to bring in legislation overnight to remove the right to object. Even TDs of parties with housing as a top priority make great hay from planning objections

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

dubrov wrote: »
    Where are FF going to get all these builders from?

The construction industry is at full throttle already (although capacity is slowly growing). 100,000 government built house will likely result in 100,000 less houses being built in the private sector

I bumped into a FF candidate canvassing earlier, asked him how he was going to build the 100k houses. He hummed and hawed so I asked him had they considered buying the 3D printing attachment for the new printer in Leinster House.

He said that the thought had actually crossed his mind before and that he’d certainly look into it, delighted with himself as he was taking notes.

These clowns haven’t a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Whos going to pay for these free houses because I sure as **** don’t want my taxes being wasted on foreva homes for foreva ****ing wasters? Think a bit of perspective is needed here by all parties - homelessness effects 0.002% of the population. I’m probably not alone in saying I couldn’t care less about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

I'll give my vote to the first party that promises to entirely remove the government from the business of houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,557 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lyan wrote:
    I'll give my vote to the first party that promises to entirely remove the government from the business of houses.
    So you won't be voting then?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I would charge a stupid tax % to stop them buying up all the properties and add some sort of legislation whereby the property value can't be increased beyond the current value. What's stopping the investment fund adding 30% on all the properties?

FG, FF, are all the same, they come out with all these promises to fix the health system, lower the taxes and fix housing crisis but in reality and in my life time, they have done f**k all but put this country and it's people under more pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I'd guess their portfolio is based on employing tens of thousands to build these houses and paying for them with the taxes from said construction workers.
    Run the electricity off the gas and the gas off the electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Put a hold on those 100,000 new houses (that weren't going to get built anyway).

Coronavirus has just transformed into a 'superspreader'
    US is reporting it's 1st case. Was only in China, then a few in Thailand, South Korea and Japan (Brisbane case also suspected now).
    Expect LHR to report case(s) within the week.

* Actually it's not as bad as SARS, which barely registered worldwide, a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

eagle eye wrote: »
    So you won't be voting then?

Nah, I'll vote FG at any rate but that's my buyout price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I bumped into a FF candidate canvassing earlier, asked him how he was going to build the 100k houses. He hummed and hawed so I asked him had they considered buying the 3D printing attachment for the new printer in Leinster House.

He said that the thought had actually crossed his mind before and that he’d certainly look into it, delighted with himself as he was taking notes.

These clowns haven’t a clue.

There were two clowns in it!

Advertisement