Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fail promises 100,000 houses in 5 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

To be fair the housing is needed, high quality low cost for the people. The Greens will insist on it. A tough line should also be taken with proven anti-social families too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    There were two clowns in it!

Correct, he had another fella with him. Was that you? He was a farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ah Fianna Fail, never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/home-truths-big-time-housing-promises-without-taxes-are-hollow-38868165.html

"If you're being asked to vote for a build-and-hold solution for social housing, understand that this involves a requirement for more tax to fund it, or else the cash must taken from somewhere else, like health or education. If someone doorsteps you and says otherwise, then tell them out flat that they're a liar. Pants blazing and boxers a-flaming fairy tales.

But if it's you that expects a new government to promise to build those social houses, but without you coughing up any more tax to get it done; then you're the one with the delusions.

And you deserve all the promise-everything /fix-nothing governments that you get."

Excellent article from Mark Keenan that exposes all of the issues with the promises being made by Sinn Fein and Fianna Fail in respect of housing.

I mean he raises a good point about needed to know the detail on where the capital to build these houses are coming from but it's no huge surprise that the taxpayer with have to make sacrifices to solve this social emergency.

This is the same as any social issue facing us like climate change, sacrifices will have to be made and it's fair enough if you want to opt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I bumped into a FF candidate canvassing earlier, asked him how he was going to build the 100k houses. He hummed and hawed so I asked him had they considered buying the 3D printing attachment for the new printer in Leinster House.

He said that the thought had actually crossed his mind before and that he’d certainly look into it, delighted with himself as he was taking notes.

These clowns haven’t a clue.

Future minister of Reform and Public Services right there. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Field east wrote: »
    Gov can pass legislation in a day or two if it really wants to. It has done so in the past re a big insurance collapse issue and was not the same thing done in 2007, I think , re the bail out. So if FF wants to build the 100,00 houses that it says are needed right now , nothing is stoping it to have the wording ready to change the law overnight and get shovels into the ground within a day or two. All parties would support this strategy , except FG, and all parties have housing as a top priority.

The strategy of forgoing the planning and legal system? No, I do not think so.

The planning system in Ireland is much much too slow and can be held up by any ol crank. However, lets not turn Ireland into China either.
    FF TD's and councillors have the worst form when it comes to standing by NIMBYs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

100,000 houses for €30 billion is €300,000 per house. It should not cost €300,000 for one social housing unit.

Since when has the government got value for money in anything they do, look at the children's hospital 2 billion + , I work in the building game , youd build a mansion for 300,000 yourself , gravy train for someone it they get them contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Since when has the government got value for money in anything they do, look at the children's hospital 2 billion + , I work in the building game , youd build a mansion for 300,000 yourself , gravy train for someone it they get them contracts
    It's an issue of governments in general, not just our own. I'll drop this in here as he explains it a whole lot better.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/john-fitzgerald-why-state-contracts-are-proving-costly-1.3376701

saabsaab wrote: »
    To be fair the housing is needed, high quality low cost for the people. The Greens will insist on it. A tough line should also be taken with proven anti-social families too.
    Regulations on new builds will add to costs anyway.

What could go wrong building so much social housing , maybe build houses that people who work can afford to own. Look at how areas in Dublin ended up when you build too much social housing in one area.

• Advertisement

They just move them somewhere else tho, they done it in my town and it took them 3 years to get 2 families of dirtbags out of the estate .

What could go wrong building so much social housing , maybe build houses that people who work can afford to own. Look at how areas in Dublin ended up when you build too much social housing in one area.
    The social builds of the 1970s were badly planned and largely used as an excuse to clear the remaining tenement areas of central Dublin. Many were isolated and had little to no facilities. Modern designs are a lot more integrated and we do need an increased stock, just not the numbers suggested here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

Remember when Mary Mc's husband was running a competition for ideas to save Ireland? FF can do similar with their housing problems.

My submissions:

1 - Build a floating city in Dublin bay. Discounted "starter" flats can be below the surface, Johnny Ronan and the boys can flog the penthouses. Can have a floating horse racing course too. And regular sea taxis to provide the 10 minute commute to the heart of Dublin city centre.

2 - Get Elon Musk to build/dig a load of tunnels in Meath and Kildare. Expand on them and have thriving underground communities. Expected link-up of Outer Mole Towns and the underground DART sometime around 2075.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Whos going to pay for these free houses because I sure as **** don’t want my taxes being wasted on foreva homes for foreva ****ing wasters? Think a bit of perspective is needed here by all parties - homelessness effects 0.002% of the population. I’m probably not alone in saying I couldn’t care less about it.

Yes I couldn't care less about the "Forever home" crowd either. I have a cure for homelessness and it's called a job.

I do however have sympathy for some of my colleagues who are paying 1000 quid a month for bedroom.... If 100,000 social houses are built, it will free up some units and hopefully drive prices down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A few studies (a Bank of England one among them) reveals a fairly counterintuitive and challenging problem about housing affordability...

As long as interest rates remain low, house price inflation will remain high, ahead of of wage-growth. You can build as many units as you like, it won't put a dent in housing unaffordability.

The Fianna Fáil SSIA-style deposit saving scheme will likely pour petrol on the fire of the housing and rent unaffordability issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

What do you want a tough line to look like?

If you remove them and don't provide them with alternative accommodation they become a homeless statistic which the opposition, media and public will attack the government for.

This isn't an optimal outcome, unless of course you do believe that scumbaggy behaviour should leave you and your family on the street, to give someone else a home.
    This would be a bold strategy by any political party and even the slightest cock up in implementation or the optics could have a devestating impact on the party. So are any of out politicians likely to have such a policy because of the risk of the negative feedback? Probably not I would imagine.

I don't quite know how to deal with it myself in all honesty so I'm open to suggestions, but I'm genuinely curious as to whether you have a idea on how the issue can be solved or are you just making generic statements about being tough anti social behaviour by people in social housing.

Yurt! wrote: »
    The Fianna Fáil SSIA-style deposit saving scheme will likely pour petrol on the fire of the housing and rent unaffordability issue.

The Uk have a 25% per bonus saver scheme for first time buyers. I'd be in favour fo something like that.

The Uk have a 25% per bonus saver scheme for first time buyers. I'd be in favour fo something like that.

They also have a major housing affordability issue - expect such a scheme to add a couple of solid percentage points to house prices on top of trending house price inflation, wiping out the point of the scheme in the first place

They also have a major housing affordability issue - expect such a scheme to add a couple of solid percentage points to house prices on top of trending house price inflation, wiping out the point of the scheme in the first place

Well there's the London affect. I think if aimed at FTB only, then it'll be fine. But I''m happy to learn from other places it's been tried. Haven't dug into too much, only know a friend of mine whom it helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Is that for the 100,000 people who had to emigrate because they ****ed the country royally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Whos going to pay for these free houses because I sure as **** don’t want my taxes being wasted on foreva homes for foreva ****ing wasters? Think a bit of perspective is needed here by all parties - homelessness effects 0.002% of the population. I’m probably not alone in saying I couldn’t care less about it.

I couldn’t care less about the 4eva wasters , it’s the working people effected by the housing crisis I feel sorry for. Can’t afford their own partially because a lot of the tax they pay , goes to ridiculously generous areas , free housing , free gp , free transport , free Christmas bonus , free hundreds of euro a week! Hard to believe some people are even expected to pay for their own groceries here in 2020! Wait for ff proposal of free hundred euro m and s voucher for the wasters !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

A poster here said more tax is required to fund more social houses. No. Just let thosevin them currently , pay a reasonable rent on them , deduct it from welfare or wages directly of they aren’t paying , with a percentage fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Idbatterim wrote: »
    A poster here said more tax is required to fund more social houses. No. Just let thosevin them currently , pay a reasonable rent on them , deduct it from welfare or wages directly of they aren’t paying , with a percentage fine.
    There will be money saved from the end of HAP , less demand for homeless services , less money to hoteliers.
    Not to mention that even if more tax is needed to pay for social housing the recipients of social housing will pay less in rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I couldn’t care less about the 4eva wasters , it’s the working people effected by the housing crisis I feel sorry for. Can’t afford their own partially because a lot of the tax they pay , goes to ridiculously generous areas , free housing , free gp , free transport , free Christmas bonus , free hundreds of euro a week! Hard to believe some people are even expected to pay for their own groceries here in 2020! Wait for ff proposal of free hundred euro m and s voucher for the wasters !

Are the 4eva wasters those who get social housing?

Would you prefer parties to build more affordable houses than social houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Do they really think Fianna Fail on a promise to build 100,000 council houses is going to swing middle Ireland who sweat for 40 hours a week to pay their mortgage and put (paid for)food on the table? Not a chance.
    I think the last thing middle Ireland want to hear is Fianna Fail are going to spend €30 Billion of their taxpayers money to build free houses for people who unlike them get their every need served up on a silver platter.

Do they really think Fianna Fail on a promise to build 100,000 council houses is going to swing middle Ireland who sweat for 40 hours a week to pay their mortgage and put (paid for)food on the table? Not a chance.
    I think the last thing middle Ireland want to hear is Fianna Fail are going to spend €30 Billion of their taxpayers money to build free houses for people who unlike them get their every need served up on a silver platter.

Isn't the 100'000 total targetted unit completions? Only a fraction of those would be social you would think.

Edit: Ok, the Martin comments indicates 50k social and 50k affordable. And he wants an additional 100k completions in the private sector.

I would prefer an 80k to 20k, affordable to social split tbh. Also, he seems to be picking the numbers out of his backside.

Isn't the 100'000 total targetted unit completions? Only a fraction of those would be social you would think.

I was under the impression it was 100,000 in social housing.

I was under the impression it was 100,000 in social housing.
    50:50 social and affordable apparently. It's 20,000 a year, some of which we might need anyway.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/fianna-fail-reveals-plans-build-17601832

is_that_so wrote: »

Still a big downer for most of middle Ireland who had no option but to pay full price for their property, many at peak prices before the crash, and with the maximum stamp duty.

• Advertisement

Sure, sure. 50,000 social homes would cost around €7b to build. Or post elections €0 to build. :rolleyes:

Advertisement