Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you own property?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Yep, bought an apartment myself 3 1/2 years ago when I was still single, was the most I could get in Dublin with my savings and wages. People told me I was mad and to wait til I could get a house, but I'm so glad I did.

My mortgage is only slightly more than I was paying in rent at the time and I'm not sharing with anyone and it's a far nicer place than anywhere I've ever rented. Right after I moved in I met my current partner and she moved in after about a year and pay towards the mortgage too. Could never have done that if I was still renting with someone. Now we have a nice big 2 bed to ourselves, can have people over staying when we want, and pay a fraction of what we would if we had to rent a sh*tty 1 bed together.

Some day we might want to get a house but honestly the apartment is great and anyone who is put off by the idea of owning an apartment shouldn't be, I can assure you it's exponentially better than renting. Plus the place is already worth about 50k more than when I bought it so if I ever do want a house it'll help me pay for it far better than saving and renting would have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yes. We bought a house a couple of years ago, no mortgage. I was shocked to discover that even with no mortgage, the house can still be foreclosed and sold out from under us if we dont pay our HOA fees (US). If we buy here again we'll be avoiding those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Cina wrote: »
    Yep, bought an apartment myself 3 1/2 years ago when I was still single, was the most I could get in Dublin with my savings and wages. People told me I was mad and to wait til I could get a house, but I'm so glad I did.

My mortgage is only slightly more than I was paying in rent at the time and I'm not sharing with anyone and it's a far nicer place than anywhere I've ever rented. Right after I moved in I met my current partner and she moved in after about a year and pay towards the mortgage too. Could never have done that if I was still renting with someone. Now we have a nice big 2 bed to ourselves, can have people over staying when we want, and pay a fraction of what we would if we had to rent a sh*tty 1 bed together.

Some day we might want to get a house but honestly the apartment is great and anyone who is put off by the idea of owning an apartment shouldn't be, I can assure you it's exponentially better than renting. Plus the place is already worth about 50k more than when I bought it so if I ever do want a house it'll help me pay for it far better than saving and renting would have.
    Yeah I don't get the anti apartment thing for just a couple or two friends or a person on their own. Noisy neighbours I suppose - but you could get that anywhere built up.

It's easier as a starter too.

What would be the point in a single person's first property purchase being a house? Unless it's a small two-bedroom I guess. Not easy to come by though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Owning my own home is basically science fiction stuff at the moment for me. I'd love an apartment, I'd prefer it over a house, but fck it, forget it...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

dotsman wrote: »
    Afraid not exactly. If the genders were reversed, then yes, you definitely would be an owner in all senses of the word. Right now, you are technically an owner, but in the case of a divorce, where 95% of divorces are about transferring every bean from the man to the woman, I find it hard to believe a judge would do the opposite and give you some of the wife's wealth. Especially if there are children involved. When that happens, the wife gets everything and the man must suffer a life of destitution.

Welcome to Feminist Ireland!

surely a judge would have to ensure some sort of "proper provision" for the male spouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Afraid not exactly. If the genders were reversed, then yes, you definitely would be an owner in all senses of the word. Right now, you are technically an owner, but in the case of a divorce, where 95% of divorces are about transferring every bean from the man to the woman, I find it hard to believe a judge would do the opposite and give you some of the wife's wealth. Especially if there are children involved. When that happens, the wife gets everything and the man must suffer a life of destitution.

Welcome to Feminist Ireland!

Not really. In the event of a divorce, the children's welfare is prioritised, so they pretty much always stay in the family home. The parent who is deemed to be their primary carer also stays in the family home as this is usually what is most beneficial to the children.

Guess who the primary carer usually is?
    If men want to take on the burden of childcare, they would be more likely to benefit in such situations. Can't have it both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

AH Election Poll results suddenly make sense. A vote for Fine Gael is probably the best chance of keeping house prices up and (for the benefit of those of you who own more than one 'property') preventing rent prices from dropping to a humane and sensible level. The term "I'm alright, Jack" springs to mind.

I'm renting at the moment. I could have bought outright a few years ago, but the location (in terms of proximity to Dublin and also the general area itself) wasn't great. A bit of a mistake though, as it would be worth at least €40,000 more now. Anyhow, I won't be buying anything until the next crash. Hopefully I'll have enough saved not to require a significant mortgage. And that's why I'll be voting for Fianna Fail.

Good choice of voting. They have a stellar record in property, great foresight and take no sh1t from the banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Only bought because of kids. Was a very painless process, €50 deposit, talked to my broker and he sorted the mortgage deals. Never had to even visit a bank. First 100k at 1% and the rest at 2% for the 20 year duration. Will sell it then and move back into an apartment, kids should hopefully be moved out by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Thankfully have a house in dublin 3 bedrooms (1 a box room) bought about 5 years ago not to long after crash (33 then lived here since I was 21/22).
    Like the area handy to town, nice neighbours it needed a lot of work (single glazing, garden like something from a Tim Burton film) but nearly there. Similar houses going for approx 140k more than I paid.
    I got married last year so we might move somewhere else but no real rush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I own a site. Ill never do anything with it.
    Its ok renting. Its dead money but at least I'm not tied down to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Following college I took out a SSIA (remember them) in 2002, just as I started working on quite a low salary. I saved all along those years for a deposit of 30k, was able to take holidays and buy a car etc. but never went travelling like a lot of my friends did. I met my now husband and we were able to buy a house in 2014, just as the recession was ending, so we were fortunate enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

JDigweed wrote: »
    Nope. The banks seem to think I can't afford a mortgage even though I am essentially paying someone else's mortgage (€1,200 monthly rent for going on 6 years now)

Do you think the mortgage is only €600 a month? The landlord will be paying 50% tax on the rental income before they pay the mortgage.

You are essentially paying for a service which you are getting.

The banks like to see your deposit first and calculate out the other expenses. As you rent you don't need insurance life or property. You have no maintenance costs nor need to pay LPT. So the banks are probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

:eek:

oh sh*te just realised how useful better grammar would have been there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I'm no legal expert, but if a solicitor advised your friend to pay his ex €3,200 a month out of €4,000 in take-home earnings, leaving him €9,600 a year to support himself, then he needs a new solicitor. Based on what I know about Irish family law, that is completely out of whack with the norm.

That was my sense at the time too. Well, he's welcome to pay whatever the hell he wants now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Own quite a few properties... yep.

Most owned outright, some with mortgages. I call it a hobby, the missus calls it an addiction ..;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

NSAman wrote: »

Most owned outright, some with mortgages. I call it a hobby, the missus calls it an addiction ..;)

I call it greed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Commercial property - long term lease to retailer ( debt free)

Residential - long term lease to Limerick Council (debt free)

Own my own home debt free

Jesus your lucky

Jesus your lucky why have you so many?

Following college I took out a SSIA (remember them) in 2002, just as I started working on quite a low salary. I saved all along those years for a deposit of 30k, was able to take holidays and buy a car etc. but never went travelling like a lot of my friends did. I met my now husband and we were able to buy a house in 2014, just as the recession was ending, so we were fortunate enough.

Well done i always wonder why these types off travelling the world then moaning cant afford a house in D4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Bought my first house 16 months ago Mortgage free as I had saved alot, I rented it out and am saving heavily to buy another as soon as possible. I am just into my thirties with zero debt and home of my own when I need it. My secret of success is that I don't drink or smoke and I live within my means. I am building my own little empire and later in life I will inherit alot also, our family farm has been in the family for almost 200 years and survived the British and various boom and bust cycles and I will be the 7th generation to inherit that.

Owning your own home for me is incredibly important and any man that can't keep a roof over his head and his woman has gone badly somewhere along the line.

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »
    Owning your own home for me is incredibly important and any man that can't keep a roof over his head and his woman has gone badly somewhere along the line.

I do wonder how women who aren't owned by men manage to keep roofs over their own heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I do wonder how women who aren't owned by men manage to keep roofs over their own heads.

Yes make it into a feminist argument :rolleyes:, as has been rightly pointed out earlier alot of the people whinging and looking for free houses have plenty money for a takeaways 7 nights a week, Sky TV and both parents smoking and drinking. Meanwhile Joe Soap shops in Aldi, pays enormous rent or mortgage and pays a combined 70% tax rate. But Sky TV people demand their forever home for their enormous brood of kids while Joe Soap can't afford his Car Insurance never mind the dream of owning his own home but struggles on for low salary.

This country is a sick joke at how it is ran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭wench

sasta le wrote: »
    He needs somewhere to keep the safes...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112298480&postcount=18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I call it greed.

That's called capitalism buddy.
    That's what provides the taxes for our services (as bad as they are)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

wench wrote: »

One of the greatest threads ever!!! :D

tom1ie wrote: »
    That's called capitalism buddy.
    That's what provides the taxes for our services (as bad as they are)

It's what makes it difficult for working people to afford to buy a home to live in (as opposed to a 'property' to speculate on). Pure greed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

i think everyone wishes they had bought earlier . except for those who bought when.prices were very low.

bought 2 years ago.... very happy... love all the interior design and getting things right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I'll never learn unless I'm taught.

I'm listening reading...
    AH Election Poll results suddenly make sense. A vote for Fine Gael is probably the best chance of keeping house prices up and (for the benefit of those of you who own more than one 'property') preventing rent prices from dropping to a humane and sensible level. The term "I'm alright, Jack" springs to mind.
    Actually, from a governance perspective, the housing crisis is mainly due to the councils (responsible for planning) than the national government. Unfortunately, our city councils are typically dominated by sinn fein and friends, along with "traditionalists", so priority is always given for maintaining our ridiculously low density city centres.

In terms of the current prices (purchase or rent), that is dependant on the economy. So what you are actually saying is "a vote for Finn Gael is probably the best chance of the economy growing". But, I a somehow don't think that is what you actually meant.
    I'm renting at the moment. I could have bought outright a few years ago, but the location (in terms of proximity to Dublin and also the general area itself) wasn't great. A bit of a mistake though, as it would be worth at least €40,000 more now. Anyhow, I won't be buying anything until the next crash. Hopefully I'll have enough saved not to require a significant mortgage. And that's why I'll be voting for Fianna Fail.
    And when will the next crash be? You could be waiting a lifetime. That would be a silly thing to do.

If you can't get a mortgage today, you wouldn't be able to get one during a crash. A lot of people had the same idea back around '05-'08. Most of them weren't able to buy until '15 onwards by which time prices had mostly recovered.

But why vote for Fianna Fail? I don't get it. Is it that you think if Fianna Fail lead the next government, it will increase the chance of a crash in the near-term? I don't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

It's what makes it difficult for working people to afford to buy a home to live in (as opposed to a 'property' to speculate on). Pure greed.
    n
    I know plenty of " working people" who have a little place in Spain

I call it greed.

you would!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

I call it greed.

Jealously and bitterness more like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I call it greed.

Or begrudgery. Common in " working class " areas when Mary gets a house near her Ma

sasta le wrote: »

I need a place to keep my collection of safes (as stated earlier)..;)

Also, have business interests in various locations. Having lost everything while younger, swore I would never be Owned by a landlord or Bank again. So started small and saved and worked my ass off to purchase the first one, then a second came along ...etc..etc... Still work my ass off to this day, but at least I don’t owe much to anyone and if the **** falls out of any economy I am not stuck owing anyone a huge bill.

Simples... Greed? Nope it’s called hard work!...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

My partner and I bought a house 3 years ago. We wanted to borrow 90k. We had a deposit of 115k (through inheritance etc) and we were refused. Talk about a job we had convincing them. I'll never forget what a pain in the arse the whole thing was. Eventually they gave us 80k (over 17 yrs cos I was shoving 50). I wouldn't like to be going through the process again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Bought in 2014, and thanks to aggressively overpaying the mortgage to the tune of roughly 200% a month, we are currently 3 years & 2 months away from paying it off.

Planned interest was €80k, actual will be closer to €30k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

theguzman wrote: »
    Bought my first house 16 months ago Mortgage free as I had saved alot, I rented it out and am saving heavily to buy another as soon as possible. I am just into my thirties with zero debt and home of my own when I need it. My secret of success is that I don't drink or smoke and I live within my means. I am building my own little empire and later in life I will inherit alot also, our family farm has been in the family for almost 200 years and survived the British and various boom and bust cycles and I will be the 7th generation to inherit that.

Ridiculous thing to say. Plenty of reasons why any man (or woman) might not have been able to buy. Unlike you, I graduated right into the recession and could barely get a job washing pots or answering phones. Spent years struggling on minimum wage jobs and heading abroad for work, my wages just about covering my rent, bills, food and transport. There are loads like me born around that time who were set back nearly a decade by the economic crisis. Not through laziness or being stupid with money, but purely through not being able to find enough well paid work while simultaneously spending a fortune on rent. There is no way on earth I could have saved a deposit by 30, no matter how hard I worked or how many things I gave up.

Funny how people like you always think your success is down to your own hard work. I don't believe for a single second that you didn't have significant help, whether that was being able to live at home for free while in college/working, help with college costs...even knowing that you will inherit a farm is an enormous weight off your shoulders and allowed you to make decisions knowing you had a safety net in the future. You have no concept of having to stand on your own two feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Nope, but will probably buy in the next 2 years.

It's difficult to buy in Dublin, in a decent, safe area in Dublin, on one salary even if it's a reasonable one.

I could probably speed it up by saving more - by spending less on renting somewhere cheaper, spending less on holiday but I want to enjoy life and that's a bigger priority at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Two and a bit houses , one is just gone sale agreed.

The bit is a share I own in another house, theres a family feud going on about it currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Nope, but will probably buy in the next 2 years.

It's difficult to buy in Dublin, in a decent, safe area in Dublin, on one salary even if it's a reasonable one.

I could probably speed it up by saving more - by spending less on renting somewhere cheaper, spending less on holiday but I want to enjoy life and that's a bigger priority at the moment.

Good post ... enjoy life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Myself and my partner bought a place recently. The process was a laborious nightmare to go through though. When we finally got the keys it was like a mountain of stress and uncertainty had lifted off us. My only regret is that I didn't do it years ago. All that money wasted on renting and buying crap I didn't need :(

Myself and my partner bought a place recently. The process was a laborious nightmare to go through though. When we finally got the keys it was like a mountain of stress and uncertainty had lifted off us. My only regret is that I didn't do it years ago. All that money wasted on renting and buying crap I didn't need :(

People I know who own keep telling me it isn't all that great, there are loads of costs involved, etc. I know that but keep trying to explain how it feels to rent for years and have no security, not able to paint your wall, put up shelves or ever feel secure at home because you never know how long you'll be there. It must surely be great to walk through the door knowing it's your home, you can paint it, decorate it how you want, nobody putting you out unless you don't pay the mortgage, no clown landlords ripping you off for rent and refusing to repair things.

Ridiculous thing to say. Plenty of reasons why any man (or woman) might not have been able to buy. Unlike you, I graduated right into the recession and could barely get a job washing pots or answering phones. Spent years struggling on minimum wage jobs and heading abroad for work, my wages just about covering my rent, bills, food and transport. There are loads like me born around that time who were set back nearly a decade by the economic crisis. Not through laziness or being stupid with money, but purely through not being able to find enough well paid work while simultaneously spending a fortune on rent. There is no way on earth I could have saved a deposit by 30, no matter how hard I worked or how many things I gave up.

Funny how people like you always think your success is down to your own hard work. I don't believe for a single second that you didn't have significant help, whether that was being able to live at home for free while in college/working, help with college costs...even knowing that you will inherit a farm is an enormous weight off your shoulders and allowed you to make decisions knowing you had a safety net in the future. You have no concept of having to stand on your own two feet.

I know it isn’t easy, but where there is a will there is a way. I too came from nothing... parents worked hard, graduated in the 80s (still had college fees) and worked three part time jobs too to get through college.

I never waited for someone to offer me a job though... I made my own.

I am not saying you are lazy at all, just people take differing paths in life and sometimes it works out and life is easy.

Never loose hope though, life changes completely, one day you are on top of the world, the next you are living in a car with no money. Dust yourself off and go for it again.

Actually, from a governance perspective, the housing crisis is mainly due to the councils (responsible for planning) than the national government. Unfortunately, our city councils are typically dominated by sinn fein and friends, along with "traditionalists", so priority is always given for maintaining our ridiculously low density city centres.

In terms of the current prices (purchase or rent), that is dependant on the economy. So what you are actually saying is "a vote for Finn Gael is probably the best chance of the economy growing". But, I a somehow don't think that is what you actually meant.

And when will the next crash be? You could be waiting a lifetime. That would be a silly thing to do.

If you can't get a mortgage today, you wouldn't be able to get one during a crash. A lot of people had the same idea back around '05-'08. Most of them weren't able to buy until '15 onwards by which time prices had mostly recovered.

But why vote for Fianna Fail? I don't get it. Is it that you think if Fianna Fail lead the next government, it will increase the chance of a crash in the near-term? I don't understand.

I feel bad for wasting your time. "That's why I'll be voting for Fianna Fail" was a punchline. The joke being that I had just criticised Fine Gael voters for acting selfishly, and yet was prepared to vote for Fianna Fail solely on the grounds that they would destroy the economy again.

I know it isn’t easy, but where there is a will there is a way. I too came from nothing... parents worked hard, graduated in the 80s (still had college fees) and worked three part time jobs too to get through college.

I never waited for someone to offer me a job though... I made my own.

I am not saying you are lazy at all, just people take differing paths in life and sometimes it works out and life is easy.

Never loose hope though, life changes completely, one day you are on top of the world, the next you are living in a car with no money. Dust yourself off and go for it again.

But it was many times easier to buy then than it is now. It used to be that pretty much anyone with a job could be frugal and careful and save up enough for a deposit within a few years. It's just not the case now because living costs (mostly rent) are so high. I usually only had about 150-200 euros maximum left to live on after essentials were paid...how can you possibly save? Even now I'm only managing about 500 euros a month (which is still a lot better than many people), still living a very frugal life and at this rate it'd take me the best part of a decade to be able to buy.

I made my own job too, eventually, but still wasn't able to earn much. Through a mixture of luck, hard work and perseverance I was able to retrain and now I'm doing OK, but that isn't always an option for everyone.

I'm still saving hard but being realistic, it simply might not be possible to buy unless I move abroad (which is always an option I am considering). Even renting abroad could be a lot better than renting here, with a lot more security and a longer lease. That could be the way I need to go.

How do people make their own job? Be self employed? If so, you still have to find the clients.
    I need a place to keep my collection of safes (as stated earlier)..;)

Also, have business interests in various locations. Having lost everything while younger, swore I would never be Owned by a landlord or Bank again. So started small and saved and worked my ass off to purchase the first one, then a second came along ...etc..etc... Still work my ass off to this day, but at least I don’t owe much to anyone and if the **** falls out of any economy I am not stuck owing anyone a huge bill.

Simples... Greed? Nope it’s called hard work!...;)
    But also greed. I'm not even saying that as an insult - it's just what it is.

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »
    How do people make their own job? Be self employed? If so, you still have to find the clients.

But also greed. I'm not even saying that as an insult - it's just what it is.

How is it greed? I owe it to hard work and keeping myself and mine safe. By “mine” i mean the people who now work for me. keeping a roof over their heads. Yes I am greedy for giving people jobs. Yes I am greedy for putting my family (first) so that they will never be homeless again.

Grow up, It isn’t greed it is working hard and using a system to its fullest.

I’m sure you have a roof over your head now? I didn’t!!!

So stop giving out to someone who worked hard, played the system and won.

How is it greed? I owe it to hard work and keeping myself and mine safe. By “mine” i mean the people who now work for me. keeping a roof over their heads. Yes I am greedy for giving people jobs. Yes I am greedy for putting my family (first) so that they will never be homeless again.

Grow up, It isn’t greed it is working hard and using a system to its fullest.

I’m sure you have a roof over your head now? I didn’t!!!

So stop giving out to someone who worked hard, played the system and won.

I love when greedy people go on about how they "give people jobs" like it's altruistic. You didn't do so out of kindness - you're making a profit off the back of their hard work. If you're as successful as you claim (and frankly, I'd have my doubts there), you're getting more out of the deal than they are.

And going around buying houses for no reason other than to accumulate wealth has the rather nasty side-effect of making it harder for people who work hard for a living (but don't 'play the system', whatever that means) to find somewhere to live.

G'way with your "how is it greed?"

Never said there was no hard work, and obviously I didn't criticise investing in your family's future. Had no idea about your employees either as you didn't mention them. Not relevant anyway.

But investing in property after property - do what you like obviously, but how is it not greed? And also I was not giving out - I literally said one thing.

Your post ended "I call it a hobby, the missus calls it an addiction" - a hobby?

I love when greedy people go on about how they "give people jobs" like it's altruistic. You didn't do so out of kindness - you're making a profit off the back of their hard work. If you're as successful as you claim (and frankly, I'd have my doubts there), you're getting more out of the deal than they are.

And going around buying houses for no reason other than to accumulate wealth has the rather nasty side-effect of making it harder for people who work hard for a living (but don't 'play the system', whatever that means) to find somewhere to live.

G'way with your "how is it greed?"

Exactly.

A major part of why I haven't been able to save and buy my own place is that I was forced to rent from landlords, some of whom had multiple properties and were putting the rent up as high as they possibly could to line their pockets more and more.

I don't know how so many landlords seem incapable of equating their acquisition of so much property with the fact others aren't able to buy. That is just a fact. If people were limited to purchasing homes they live in and all other property was owned by the state and rented out with rent control, lots more people would be able to buy their own home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I own an apartment. Grand place

• Advertisement
Advertisement