Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veg plans for 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Pulled the biggest one. Think I might need to leave them a bit longer :D:D

I’m guessing overcrowding?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

kylith wrote: »
    Pulled the biggest one. Think I might need to leave them a bit longer :D:D

I’m guessing overcrowding?

That looks like it's gone to seed to me, looking at the stalk. Did you pull anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

pconn062 wrote: »
    That looks like it's gone to seed to me, looking at the stalk. Did you pull anymore?

I pulled about 4 more and they were all the same. I pulled the biggest ones and the remaining ones seem to be spaced ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How much watering are they getting?

Finally the first fruit appeared on my once sickly tumbling tom, but still three weeks from the eating I expect. It's taking an age this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

vicwatson wrote: »
    Agreed. I’m growing lady Balfour, in the ground since early April and the return isn’t great at all, might need longer in the ground.
    they have just started flowering.

planted out load of brassicas today.

• Advertisement

Anyone like some lettuce and oriental leaves?! This weather is creating a monster for a one person household!

35Yqg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Early spuds planted a bit late (16th and 18th April). Queens and Duke of Yorks.

Some of the stalks got a bit battered with the the wind Sunday and yesterday. Should I leave the flattened stalks to die off as they are getting near harvest time now anyway? Or should I remove them?

Appreciate a little advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Early spuds planted a bit late (16th and 18th April). Queens and Duke of Yorks.

Some of the stalks got a bit battered with the the wind Sunday and yesterday. Should I leave the flattened stalks to die off as they are getting near harvest time now anyway? Or should I remove them?

Appreciate a little advice!

First time potato grower here and my stalks have been flattened over the past few weeks but they're still green so I've left them as I assume they're still functional

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

All my garlic stalks have been flattened at the base. Does anyone know if the bulbs will still develop? I pulled one up and there are cloves but really small and immature looking.

All my garlic stalks have been flattened at the base. Does anyone know if the bulbs will still develop? I pulled one up and there are cloves but really small and immature looking.

When'd do you plant them ?
    You should of been harvesting over the last 2 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

MacDanger wrote: »
    First time potato grower here and my stalks have been flattened over the past few weeks but they're still green so I've left them as I assume they're still functional

Thanks, yeah, I'm thinking if they stay green and undamaged looking I will leave them but any broken ones I've got rid of.

Looks like blight weather coming this weekend according to the forecast last night

Garlic didn't do well this year. I pulled mine up last week. A, few good bulbs out of 100.

Will be harvesting shallots, blackcurrant, gooseberry and a few cherries at the weekend.

Need to transplant brassicas into the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Garlic didn't do well this year. I pulled mine up last week. A, few good bulbs out of 100.

Ditto. Very poor crop here in France, harvested yesterday (first chance I've had for three weeks) and hardly a decent bulb amongst them. The shallots weren't an awful lot better - numerous, but not very big at all. Onions (in a bed with different characteristics) seem to be doing alright.

A first look at my December-sown maincrop and March-sown early potatoes is encouraging, though - a single fork-full of the latter yielded five portions (and earned the admiration of my visiting nephew's tastebuds!) Their tomato cousins are also having a good season so far, even if I'm slightly annoyed that the plants I've carefully raised from seed since February have been out-grown by the self-sown fellas from last year!

My experimental sowing of peas alongside sweetcorn - in the hopes of them having a natural frame to climb - has failed miserably. The sweetcorn is just too slow to grow and the peas seem to find it preferable to grab onto any nearby weed and grow horizontally instead of vertically. :(

Green beans are looking good (first crop picked yesterday) and the strawberries have been massive this last fortnight ... only I wasn't home in time to pick the best of them. :(:(:( But the forecast weather is "more of the same" for the next fortnight, so hoping that'll apply to the strawberry crop too.

I had a "decent" crop.
    First year,only planted 20 or so and each was decent.
    I wish I had grown more.
    Dried and braided now.

I'll have a busy weekend. 15 meat birds arriving. Hopefully the Weather improves and I can take them out of the shed fairly soon

Hi

My spuds should be ready for harvesting in the next couple of weeks. Is it too late to put down some sprouts that'd be ready for Christmas? From what I can see online, it probably is. If I bought the six packs of seedling sprouts (3 for E12), would they be ready in time? Or is it just too late in the year?

MacDanger wrote: »
    Hi

My spuds should be ready for harvesting in the next couple of weeks. Is it too late to put down some sprouts that'd be ready for Christmas? From what I can see online, it probably is. If I bought the six packs of seedling sprouts (3 for E12), would they be ready in time? Or is it just too late in the year?
    Where are you looking at getting them?
    Couldn't find any

Where are you looking at getting them?
    Couldn't find any

Homeland had them and also an Expert hardware shop I was in

I need so start thinking about the winter but I'm waiting waiting waiting on my potatoes. I think I'll give them another week and big or small, many or few I'll start harvesting.

• Advertisement

Harvested my shallots today. Could have grown another bit but they're fine and I need the bed for winter brassicas.

Need to pick the blackcurrant and gooseberry bushes in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

My blackcurrants are 95% picked at this stage. Started on the Gooseberry crumble already.....

My blackcurrants are 95% picked at this stage. Started on the Gooseberry crumble already.....

Pm me your address :D

I need so start thinking about the winter but I'm waiting waiting waiting on my potatoes. I think I'll give them another week and big or small, many or few I'll start harvesting.

Couldn't wait! :p

365PP.jpg

They look decent enough! :)

Other than a few exploratory digs, I've held off lifting any of my spuds as I've still got the last of last year's Desirées to use up (down to the last crate now, really pleased with how well they've kept - lovely mash yesterday with some of the last of last years yellow onions; and a potato salad this afternoon with this years onion leaves.

But I'll lift my earlies (Sirtema) tomorrow as I want to clear the bed, and also I have help.

Had a quick look at my main crop of onions this evening, and they're looking better than I thought. On that topic, in a "true life" video I watched during the week, one of the participants made a passing reference to "spooning" her onions - painstakingly clearing the soil away from the bulbs, one by one. Anyone ever here of that? This lady is French, but my French gardening book doesn't mention it ...?

Discovered on Saturday that a rake of my spuds have blight so I had to cut the leaves way back :(

Busy evening. Got some borage, rocket and broad beans in and got delivering of a load of manure from a local sheep farmer.

got delivering of a load of manure from a local sheep farmer.

That's a lovely sight! :D

A case of extremes here this weekend: quite a poor yield from my early potatoes (planted mid-March in unworkably heavy clay soil, which has now turned to unworkable concrete, and was practically bone dry to a depth of 20cm ... and that's the coldest, wettest part of the garden! :eek: ) But right next to them, I'm lifting onions that weigh 250g a piece, and they're not finished growing yet.

Cherry tomatoes should be ready to pick from about 10-15 days onwards, standard tomatoes have only just started flowering, but they have massive stems on them this year. Wonder if that might be due to the "nitrogen-rich supplement" that bed was watered with before and just after they were planted ...

That's a lovely sight! :D

A case of extremes here this weekend: quite a poor yield from my early potatoes (planted mid-March in unworkably heavy clay soil, which has now turned to unworkable concrete, and was practically bone dry to a depth of 20cm ... and that's the coldest, wettest part of the garden! :eek: ) But right next to them, I'm lifting onions that weigh 250g a piece, and they're not finished growing yet.

Cherry tomatoes should be ready to pick from about 10-15 days onwards, standard tomatoes have only just started flowering, but they have massive stems on them this year. Wonder if that might be due to the "nitrogen-rich supplement" that bed was watered with before and just after they were planted ...

My earlies are still flowering. Ground is wet due to wood chips retaining moisture.
    Lots of seed failed to germinate with the heat.
    Having to resow a lot of stuff this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Silly question maybe.
    Are all potatoes supposed to flower. I’ve had some in since mid March and no flowers at all on them yet.

Advertisement