Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veg plans for 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Sprayed the potatoes for blight today, would rather not have but didn't want to chance it. Once I harvest the earlies, is there anything that's suitable for planting for the rest of the summer / autumn?

Thinned out the carrots also - should this have been done sooner?

Planted a few leeks and celery too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

MacDanger wrote: »
    Sprayed the potatoes for blight today, would rather not have but didn't want to chance it. Once I harvest the earlies, is there anything that's suitable for planting for the rest of the summer / autumn?

Thinned out the carrots also - should this have been done sooner?

Planted a few leeks and celery too

You could still plant swedes, calabrese, winter cabbage, beetroot, lettuce, spring onions or purple sprouting broccoli for next spring.

It's fine thinning carrots now, just might delay the harvest by a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

I threw a few parsnip seeds in the ground today. Am I too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I threw a few parsnip seeds in the ground today. Am I too late?

Never too late

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Anyone grow pak choi?
    I've seedlings ready to go into garden but every website I read says they need partial shade.
    Any thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 jack_frost_09

Anyone grow pak choi?
    I've seedlings ready to go into garden but every website I read says they need partial shade.
    Any thoughts.

Yeah growing great in a small container outpacing some spinach nearby. Without any great thought beforehand, mine is growing in an area that gets morning sun and afternoon shade

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

went all lazy on the planting (went down the garden centre and they had a load of veg plants !
    516451.jpg

so theres broad breans, dwarf beans, cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce and from seed, kohl rabi, radishes, swiss chard and ill be getting some kale and sprouting broccoli in

and ive a 3x3 bed to make as well, thats the bits lying there !

Good harvest of garlic and onions.
    IMG-20200614-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200614-WA0003.jpg
    Still a good few onions in the ground and gave a good few away.should have planted more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

First potato plant dug today, 700 grammes. I'll leave the rest until they've flowered and hopefully a kilo a plant from then on.

35Hdx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Picked our first batch of blackcurrants this week. Getting very tempted to pick our Gooseberries but I know they are not ready yet. Mange Touts, I expect to pick these in the next day or so.

• Advertisement

First potato plant dug today, 700 grammes. I'll leave the rest until they've flowered and hopefully a kilo a plant from then on.

35Hdx.jpg

I filled a desert bowl from a plant last night. Earlies are way behind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

:confused: Are we allowed talk about fruit on a veg thread?

:pac:

A plate of anti-oxidants, gathered last week.

Antiox-Fruit.jpg

That's the sum total of my 2020 blackcurrant harvest there :( Took my eye off that particular ball for a few years and a mixture of drought, deer, hares and neglect left me with aged, damaged,unproductive plants last year. They've now been replaced, but the young'uns aren't quite ready to contribute to my stock of jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Anyone grow pak choi?
    Any thoughts.

Grew some in full sun.
    No problems at all.
    Easily grown

Rodin wrote: »
    Grew some in full sun.
    No problems at all.
    Easily grown

Great. I suppose it doesn't matter in Ireland about direct sun
    Because it isn't sunny every day!

Have a bit of space going to be free soon,
    Whats good for planting now?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I filled a desert bowl from a plant last night. Earlies are way behind

Agreed. I’m growing lady Balfour, in the ground since early April and the return isn’t great at all, might need longer in the ground.

BrownFinger, Chard, kale, leeks, broccoli for autumn and winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭MacDanger

The wind on Saturday gave my spuds a good beating, I hope they recover okay

Yep, likewise. I went out to dig one out just now and got feck all for it! One meals worth. I'm just going to have to be very patient and leave it for a month before I try again. The were incredibly "early", looks like the Spring drought really has held them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i had some potatoes in pot outside the back door which appeared to be dying off the last week or so, so i pulled them up yesterday......... and got feck all. they are probably down since paddy weekend so though i'd be on a winner by now. maybe another month for the rest of them so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

MacDanger wrote: »
    The wind on Saturday gave my spuds a good beating, I hope they recover okay

Snap. I remember the same thing happening a few years ago and they were fine, they kept growing albeit all over the place as opposed to nice neat rows...

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

Something completely different, do you guys strictly rotate your beds? I mostly do but I've only 4 beds so its almost inevitable I will have brassicas in the same place maybe not every year but at least every other year.

Have you ever heard of a patch getting club root infection. I never have and my parents didn't either. How risky is it in Ireland?

whelzer wrote: »
    Something completely different, do you guys strictly rotate your beds?

Not strictly, no, and sometimes deliberately not. I find that my potatoes do better in their second year in the same place. Mind you, that might be because I use them as part of my routine for rehabilitating uncultivated ground, but I would usually put a few lines of onions in with them too, so they're getting two years in the same place too.

I have a load of self-sown tomatoes coming up in the bed where they were last year and some of them look healthier than the new plants I've so carefully supervised since Jan/Feb :pac: so they obviously don't read the book either!

As it happens, I don't grow a lot of brassicas, so they do tend to get rotated, because I'll shove them into spaces in the lines of other veg where I ran out of seed, or where there was no germination, or where something trampled through the bed.

A few years ago, I read that the four-crop rotation system is of limited usefulness for most domestic vegetable gardens are they're just too small, so diseases can spread a few metres easily enough on boots, shovels, barrows, etc.

On that point of "never had trouble" here in France the Colorado Beetle is endemic, and before coming I used to read about fellow immigrants having huge problems with it. During our first year, we had the children out looking for it on the spuds, and sure enough, they found a fair few. Then we all got distracted for several years. The other day, one of the neighbours was telling me they have terrible trouble every year with the same and it occurred to me that I haven't seen one for at least ten years! :eek: There's less than 500m between our plots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

whelzer wrote: »
    Something completely different, do you guys strictly rotate your beds? I mostly do but I've only 4 beds so its almost inevitable I will have brassicas in the same place maybe not every year but at least every other year.

Have you ever heard of a patch getting club root infection. I never have and my parents didn't either. How risky is it in Ireland?

I really only rotate brassicas and potatoes, don't really worry about anything else. I think clubroot can be a problem on allotment sites where the ground is used repeatedly maybe with no rotation. Adding lime when planting our your brassicas helps with clubroot. There are also clubroot resistant varieties now if you do have issues.

Finally have flowers on my new potatoes.
    Only in since the beginning of March!

Finally have flowers on my new potatoes.
    Only in since the beginning of March!

Late earlies?
    Our pumpkins are really starting to move now.
    Outdoor cucumbers and in polytunnel are only starting to climb trellis - they've bed very slow this year.
    We're picking peas daily.

Late earlies?
    Our pumpkins are really starting to move now.
    Outdoor cucumbers and in polytunnel are only starting to climb trellis - they've bed very slow this year.
    We're picking peas daily.

Main crop are in flower weeks.
    Everything late but considering we were a month ahead on last year we're doing ok. Still tons of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Lots of Mange Touts. Too many in fact. They didn't freeze well last year. Bitter taste, maybe we did something wrong?

Lots of peas beginning to fill out.

Some turnips growing well, others......nothing. Don't know why?

French Beans finally beginning to move but only about 18" tall.

Lots of Gooseberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

But if a newbie question: can you harvest carrots whenever? A few of mine have tops that are as thick as a finger, starting to get curious how big they are down there, we don’t eat a ton of carrots so I don’t really want monsters.

• Advertisement

Yes - pick as and when you want. At this stage, you could already have harvested every second or third one to leave more space for the later ones (in which case you serve the picked ones as baby carrots).

It's a good idea not to let them get too big, as they can get a bit ropey at the end of the season and are then only good for stews or soup - or rabbits. That said, I will leave mine in the ground until late winter (because soups and stews are exactly where they're going at that time of the year).

Advertisement