Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People like SF candidates but won't vote for SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Granny15 wrote: »
    I’d be more concerned about Varradkar blinking first in the Brexit negotiations with Johnson

He might give back the “treaty” ports!!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭endainoz

If Ellis wasn't running would you consider a vote for Sinn Fein? Highly doubt it. Which was my original point.

I genuinely didn't know much about them though.

Would you paint Proinsias De Rossa with the same brush? Was an active IRA member but still had a very successful political career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I'm not a Sinn Fein voter, but The Troubles can't be thrown at them forever.

The Good Friday Agreement was 22 years ago. Fine Gael and Fianna Fail grew out of a Sinn Fein split.

Nelson Mandela was also a 'terrorist turned statesman'.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I never liked Adams and didn't trust him one bit. But I do respect Mary Lou as a capable politician. She was superb in the Repeal-the-8th debates. She made fools our of some of those Iona lunatics. However I think SF is full of dodgy candidates and supporters. I could never vote for them.

At the same time I am always puzzled with how much FFG supporters attack SF with every opportunity. They really fear them. The usual suspects are falling over themselves on Boards to continually highlight their IRA links. It's a bit creepy to be honest. I doubt any one of them have any real empathy for victims like Jean McConville.

In more recent times I will always recall that it was FFG governments that continually ignored massive Garda corruption and tried to bury honest men like Maurice McCabe.

As I keep saying, FF and FG need to merge. SF would remain a smaller fringe party and maybe we could get some more viable alternative parties to emerge.

You are mistaking fear for distaste.

Nobody fears Sinn Fein, but they rightly dislike everything the party stands for, apologists for terrorists, killers, child abusers and thugs, many of whom are key members of the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Phoebas wrote: »
    Don't be playing dumb.

Martin Ferris TD - gunrunner. Not seeking re-election thankfully.
    Dessie Ellis TD - bomb maker.

Here is our current Taoiseach, leader of FG (the party that wanted a state commentation for the black and tans)posing for a selfie with Michael Collins portrait, (which hangs pride of place within his office) in the background.

IMG-1827.jpg?format=500w

Collins was of the cuddly type of terrorist I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’ve said it before, if they cut their ties to the “old guard”, ditched the attending of “provo” funerals and just focused on being an alternative “left” party for the republic they would be well worth a vote.

But, instead, here we are, 20+ years after the Good Friday, or Belfast, Agreement and SF seem so reluctant to change, even when they’ve got some decent, young, “candidates” out there.

Looks like they’ll remain under the “shadow of a gunman” for awhile yet.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

is_that_so wrote: »
    I haven't said a word about other parties. I was commenting on why people don't choose SF, one reason is their economic policies.

yet you had opened that particular post with "As it is in all parties .."

My point is that SF operate in a totally democratic fashion. the original post I had been replying to had said "And in Sinn fein, that party decision-making is much more murky than the other parties."

If being democratic is 'murky' then I wonder what would be considered acceptable. Its no wonder we get the governments that we get.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Here is our current Taoiseach, leader of FG (the party that wanted a state commentation for the black and tans)posing for a selfie with Michael Collins portrait in the background.

IMG-1827.jpg?format=500w

What a desperate despairing response, can you not come up with something better.

You have foamed at the mouth for months now about a Fine Gael TD who may possibly have committed insurance fraud, though it should be noted that she has not been charged with any offence. At the same time, you are defending the presence of convicted terrorists in the current ranks of Sinn Fein.

You couldn’t make this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I’ve said it before, if they cut their ties to the “old guard”, ditched the attending of “provo” funerals and just focused on being an alternative “left” party for the republic they would be well worth a vote.

But, instead, here we are, 20+ years after the Good Friday, or Belfast, Agreement and SF seem so reluctant to change, even when they’ve got some decent, young, “candidates” out there.

Still the arrogant, 'we will tell you how to behave'. Would FG and FF on less than 30% of the vote take kindly to that kind of condescension? I doubt it, and they would be right too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Here is our current Taoiseach, leader of FG (the party that wanted a state commentation for the black and tans)posing for a selfie with Michael Collins portrait, (which hangs pride of place within his office) in the background.

IMG-1827.jpg?format=500w

Leo the terrorist glorifier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I'm not a Sinn Fein voter, but The Troubles can't be thrown at them forever.

The Good Friday Agreement was 22 years ago. Fine Gael and Fianna Fail grew out of a Sinn Fein split.

Nelson Mandela was also a 'terrorist turned statesman'.

People have every right to 'throw' their actions at them for as long as they like.
    Equally , people also have every right to put it behind them and support Sinn Fein.

The thread is about why people can't bring themselves to vote for Sinn Fein and their actions during the Troubles are a large component of that.

Making equivalences with Mandela or the old IRA of the 20s isn't helpful. People who lived through the troubles are only too familiar with what the PIRA and others did - those comparisons only serve to obfuscate.
    Making equivalences with mismanagement of the HSE as has been done on this thread is just bizarre and isn't going to move the dial in anyone's thinking.

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Tomo89

Most of SF tds were in the ra.

Are you a real irish man?

Do you believe in self determination?

lots of 'provo funerals' in the past few years has there? they have their own history. best waiting til the 'old guard' die off before expecting them to have no influence (and old guard to me is the likes of Adams - not these imaginary gunmen)

blanch152 wrote: »
    What a desperate despairing response, can you not come up with something better.

You have foamed at the mouth for months now about a Fine Gael TD who may possibly have committed insurance fraud, though it should be noted that she has not been charged with any offence. At the same time, you are defending the presence of convicted terrorists in the current ranks of Sinn Fein.

Doyou have any idea of Irish politics? Many TDs through history have been "convicted terrorists".

Doesnt suit your one sided agenda all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

maccored wrote: »
    yet you had opened that particular post with "As it is in all parties .."

My point is that SF operate in a totally democratic fashion. the original post I had been replying to had said "And in Sinn fein, that party decision-making is much more murky than the other parties."

If being democratic is 'murky' then I wonder what would be considered acceptable. Its no wonder we get the governments that we get.
    Support of policies, yes. All parties do it. It's not a comparison of parties. I never questioned the democracy of their decision making and again all other parties do it. It's those decisions that people question.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I’ve heard people saying multiple times that they like certain SF candidates but they won’t vote for them as they are Sinn Fein. Trying to understand why there is such opposite to Sinn Fein? Have looked up online but not getting good info. Surely if someone likes a candidate and what they stand for they should vote for them? Please explain

I think it is fairly obvious dark extremely shady recent history. Lack of work in Stormont over the last two years. Abstentionist policy in Westminster. Airy fairy economic policies.
    But besides that they are grand.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Phoebas wrote: »
    Don't be playing dumb.

Martin Ferris TD - gunrunner. Not seeking re-election thankfully.
    Dessie Ellis TD - bomb maker.

Ah so you're just making baseless claims! carry-on!

maccored wrote: »
    Doyou have any idea of Irish politics? Many TDs through history have been "convicted terrorists".

Doesnt suit your one sided agenda all the same

It is always about history with Sinn Fein and look over there at those bad people, excuses is all they are.

I didn’t vote for those terrorists either.

Maybe some day, when Sinn Fein grow up and realise what they did, apologise and make amends, including disowning the IRA, maybe then people like me can consider voting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

smurgen wrote: »
    Ah so you're just making baseless claims! carry-on!

If you want to stick your fingers in your ears then carry on.

It is always about history with Sinn Fein and look over there at those bad people, excuses is all they are.

I didn’t vote for those terrorists either.

Maybe some day, when Sinn Fein grow up and realise what they did, apologise and make amends, including disowning the IRA, maybe then people like me can consider voting for them.

Oh yes I’m sure they will give up very thing they stand for a right wingers vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Lol, if Maria Bailey was brought into the thread you'd be whinging about offtopicness and whatabouting.

If you want to discuss s TD and insurance fraud (while her party ran a campaign about cheats) I'll meet you over in the relevant thread.

Deal with the point being made blanch, it's a bit rich and hypocritical pontificating about terrorist's this and terrorists that when the Taoiseach of the country has a portrait of a "terrorist" hanging on his wall.

Leo, and the FG party in general are populated by a bunch of self serving hypocritical ****, the proof of which is evident here when they cry about terrorist's.

Lol, if Maria Bailey was brought into the thread you'd be whinging about offtopicness and whatabouting.

If you want to discuss s TD and insurance fraud (while her party ran a campaign about cheats) I'll meet you over in the relevant thread.

Deal with the point being made blanch, it's a bit rich and hypocritical pontificating about terrorist's this and terrorists that when the Taoiseach of the country has a portrait of a "terrorist" hanging on his wall.

Leo, and the FG party in general are populated by a bunch of self serving hypocritical ****, the proof of which is evident here when they cry about terrorist's.

FG and it’s supporters on this board are spoofers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Their economic polices would make that impossible for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭endainoz

I think it is fairly obvious dark extremely shady recent history. Lack of work in Stormont over the last two years. Abstentionist policy in Westminster. Airy fairy economic policies.
    But besides that they are grand.

Cash for ash caused Stormont to fall, have had an abstentionist policy for over 100 years, their voters know that.

Economic policy is always the go to one here, would it be any worse than austerity?

Their economic polices would make that impossible for me.

Somehow I have a feeling you're grasp of economics is not very good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

FG and it’s supporters on this board are spoofers

All but is_that_so I would argue. He knows his stuff and is not childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

endainoz wrote: »
    Cash for ash caused Stormont to fall, have had an abstentionist policy for over 100 years, their voters know that.

Economic policy is always the go to one here, would it be any worse than austerity?

What about the crash? Came about because of irresponsible spending and lax banking practices.
    Interesting to read SFs economic promises, followed by that none are red line issues going into Govt negotiations, so basically just window dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Tomo89 wrote: »
    Most of SF tds were in the ra.

Are you a real irish man?

Do you believe in self determination?

That makes no sense whatsoever, 'An Irish man' doesn't have to be a terrorist, or a terrorist sympathiser, see posts #346 / #350

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Somehow I have a feeling you're grasp of economics is not very good.

your

• Advertisement

your

Care to have a stab at any forecasts?

Advertisement