Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People like SF candidates but won't vote for SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

smurgen wrote: »
    Sure FG wanted to celebrate the RIC only last month and then took a pop at the public following a massive uproar.or does FG only support violence when it's against Irish citizens?

Where did you see me defending that?

Also that was back in the 1910s, almost as long ago as 2001, stop living in the past etc.
    maccored wrote: »
    only 13 years ago. Say that to a 10 year old. Or 'I'll drink that bottle of milk - sure its only 13 years out of date'.

Tell me - do you read your posts first or does it all just come out?

Jaysus you're doubling down on it. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

err - "terrorism, organized crime, blood diplomacy, armalite and ballot box tactics" ... yes, you avery much living in the past. the first two they arent even guilty of and the third's debatable. "armalite and ballot box" is an 80s quote

The Columbia three was 2001. You are a relic you are so far in the past.

FFs busting the economy is in the past, should we forget that?
    If you can't point to political party's past then every election should leave them with a clean slate.
    That's not what happens though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

FFs busting the economy is in the past, should we forget that?
    If you can't point to political party's past then every election should leave them with a clean slate.
    That's not what happens though.

you mean the FF who will win the upcoming election? Yeah, we've really forgotten about their past alright :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

you mean the FF who will win the upcoming election? Yeah, we've really forgotten about their past alright :rolleyes:

I'm only asking.
    Take my situation for instance, I live in Longford, now mainly I'm faced with a choice of fcek all to vote for. We currently have no TD in the county.
    My SF candidate is based in mullingar, a FF and FG TD in Mullingar and Boxer Moran in Athlone.
    Labours TD currently is retiring, based in westmeath and his replacement is also based there.
    There are a few no hopers running in my own county and FF and FG have one each based in longford, so seriously if I want a candidate who will be focused on Longford and with a chance of being elected I have to vote FF and FG 1 and 2 or vice versa.

I'm only asking.
    Take my situation for instance, I live in Longford, now mainly I'm faced with a choice of fcek all to vote for. We currently have no TD in the county.
    My SF candidate is based in mullingar, a FF and FG TD in Mullingar and Boxer Moran in Athlone.
    Labours TD currently is retiring, based in westmeath and his replacement is also based there.
    There are a few no hopers running in my own county and FF and FG have one each based in longford, so seriously if I want a candidate who will be focused on Longford and with a chance of being elected I have to vote FF and FG 1 and 2 or vice versa.

you might be only asking but you are also ignoring the obvious - people HAVE forgotton even FF recent past. Time to move on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

How do the SF supporters around here feel about going into government after the election? Excited about the possibility of lining out for a bit of county hurling?

Your post confused me, until I realized that that should read
    Yeah, we're really remembering their past alright :rolleyes:

Unless the quip about them winning the election was meant ironically.

As is usually the case for both Sinn Fein and its more ardent supporters, diametrically opposed views have to be balanced. In this case you then have to say that the public SHOULD forget about what Fianna Fail did to the economy. It is time to move on. The noughties are the distant past, no need to be bringing up talk about economic fecklessness or murder.

Meanwhile, literally on their official youtube page

Don't be bringing up the past when it's not useful propaganda though. A little bit like the warning Martin McGuiness gave to Robert McCartney's sisters.

Your post confused me, until I realized that that should read

Unless the quip about them winning the election was meant ironically.

As is usually the case for both Sinn Fein and its more ardent supporters, diametrically opposed views have to be balanced. In this case you then have to say that the public SHOULD forget about what Fianna Fail did to the economy. It is time to move on. The noughties are the distant past, no need to be bringing up talk about economic fecklessness or murder.

Meanwhile, literally on their official youtube page

Don't be bringing up the past when it's not useful propaganda though. A little bit like the warning Martin McGuiness gave to Robert McCartney's sisters.

What are you on about? People have forgotten what FF done in the last election (since FF are ahead presently and more than likely will have most seats after the election) yet you are harping on about SF's past gibbering on about things that happened decades ago.

You need to stop living in the past and really really need to stop repeating yourself (and making me repeat myself)

PLUS - whats wrong with commemorations? The hunger strikers have every right to be commemorated

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How do the SF supporters around here feel about going into government after the election? Excited about the possibility of lining out for a bit of county hurling?

Supporters probably delighted I'd imagine. Party bricking it as some of their policies may have to follwed through like the USC cuts, pension ages, and massive social housing programme. It'll be interesting to see how they'll pay for all this with tax cuts!

What are you on about? People have forgotten what FF done in the last election (since FF are ahead presently and more than likely will have most seats after the election)

And, as you say, that's a good thing.
    yet you are harping on about SF's past gibbering on about things that happened decades ago.

No, no, I was just sharing their videos commemorating things that happened decades ago. In fact, Sinn Fein leans heavily into republican history. When they aren't talking about 800 years, they are claiming to be a party that is 115 years old.

First_dail_1919-2019.png
    You need to stop living in the past and really really need to stop repeating yourself (and making me repeat myself)

Look if you are reading into anything that I'm saying it's because you're living in the past. It's time for you to move on maccored. I think I shall make some toast.

2018-01-07_iri_37518060_I1.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Really? Denis O'Brien is not a great individual (in any estimation other than his assets). But does he engage in murder, smuggling, tax evasion, armed violence? No. I also think that he is fairly apolitical, or that his political allegiances are temporary and expedient. Although he bought the Sindo, which was for a long time a bit of a Fine Gael mouthpiece, from what I can see he has been actively hostile to the traditional reporters of that paper.

Some actual facts would be appreciated if you have them available. Or at least allude to them if you are afraid that boards would get sued by DOB

Mr. O'Brien is a business man with no loyalty required to the nation. FG however represent the tax payer. Why his name keeps coming up when FG are handing out state contracts with previous deals currently under investigation is the question.

And, as you say, that's a good thing.

No, no, I was just sharing their videos commemorating things that happened decades ago. In fact, Sinn Fein leans heavily into republican history. When they aren't talking about 800 years, they are claiming to be a party that is 115 years old.

Look if you are reading into anything that I'm saying it's because you're living in the past. It's time for you to move on maccored. I think I shall make some toast.

Here's somethings more relevant and relating to our 2020 election...

GettyImages-107231302.jpg

Trolley-Crisis.jpg

I'm excited about the people possibly getting a break from me feiners who have the system and the tax payer sown up.

there are many people in the country who secretly vote SF, but will never openly admit to it. A bit like having a secret Super Noodles habit when your not a student any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

i think what we're seeing is a sinn fein trying to move itself away from the past. it disagreed with the SCC initially - now they prefer a review. might be showing they're trying to move on.

I don't care what SF thinks but I would prefer our SCC courts not run by FG/FF appointees.

And, as you say, that's a good thing....blahblahblahblah

Catch a grip. You started waffling on about the past and you cant seem to admit that you don't have a point. I'm quite in the present - that's why I'm voting SF

• Registered Users Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

there are many people in the country who secretly vote SF, but will never openly admit to it. A bit like having a secret Super Noodles habit when your not a student any more.

The only people who vote SF are the welfare class and the lower paid members of society who believe they will get their slice of the pie after SF taxes all the millionaires.
    However SF will realise hey, we’re already taxing the ****e out of people on 100k plus and they’re paying around 80% of the tax take. If these people sod off how can we build all those houses we promised.
    Also SF know they’d be a complete failure in government. They’re claiming they’ll reverse the pension age here while up North they’ve approved the increase. Of course it’s all the brits faults.
    All SF are good for is opposition and their quite happy with that. Mary Lou and the likes get to live the champagne lifestyle while paying tokenism to unification to keep the republicans happy and promising everything to the welfare class knowing most of them won’t bother their holes voting anyway because Saturday is the weekend and it’s time to get wasted on cider and weed not wasting time going voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

tipptom wrote: »
    I don't care what SF thinks but I would prefer our SCC courts not run by FG/FF appointees.

Indeed. Mary Robinson, before she became famous in another role called for an independent inquiry into the workings of the court, judge and barrister selection processes and Oireachtas oversight.

Blazer wrote: »
    The only people who vote SF are the welfare class and the lower paid members of society who believe they will get their slice of the pie after SF taxes all the millionaires.
    However SF will realise hey, we’re already taxing the ****e out of people on 100k plus and they’re paying around 80% of the tax take. If these people sod off how can we build all those houses we promised.
    Also SF know they’d be a complete failure in government. They’re claiming they’ll reverse the pension age here while up North they’ve approved the increase. Of course it’s all the brits faults.
    All SF are good for is opposition and their quite happy with that. Mary Lou and the likes get to live the champagne lifestyle while paying tokenism to unification to keep the republicans happy and promising everything to the welfare class knowing most of them won’t bother their holes voting anyway because Saturday is the weekend and it’s time to get wasted on cider and weed not wasting time going voting.

I think you need to educate yourself a bit on the subject of SF and the kind of people who vote for them. Dont really think reading the Indo headlines (or wherever you got that tosh from) is good enough.

I think you need to educate yourself a bit on the subject of SF and the kind of people who vote for them. Dont really think reading the Indo headlines (or wherever you got that tosh from) is good enough.

As someone who pays a high amount of tax I already know that SF are not the party for people like me ie the middle class.
    If they ever got into power as a majority party it would be a compete and utter disaster.
    I’d be happy for them to do a Labour or PD and then their supporters see them for what they really are.

I’m pretty sure those approaching pension age in the north are quite happily with them.

The only people who vote SF are the welfare class and the lower paid members of society who believe they will get their slice of the pie after SF taxes all the millionaires.......

The ignorance of your post is ironic.
    I know of no party that advocate for people defrauding the welfare system.
    As someone who pays a high amount of tax I already know that SF are not the party for people like me ie the middle class.
    If they ever got into power as a majority party it would be a compete and utter disaster.
    I’d be happy for them to do a Labour or PD and then their supporters see them for what they really are.

I’m pretty sure those approaching pension age in the north are quite happily with them.

Who do you think represents the working tax payer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

PLUS - whats wrong with commemorations? The hunger strikers have every right to be commemorated

What's wrong with commemorations indeed, funny to hear that from a Sinn Fein supporter after the last few weeks.

The ignorance of your post is ironic.
    I know of no party that advocate for people defrauding the welfare system.

Who do you think represents the working tax payer?

Where did I mention fraud????

And who represents the tax payer? No one.
    We’re the golden goose that keeps this country running on an daily basis.
    The money raised by taxes like PAYE, vat, excise duty account for about 70% of the tax take.
    You hear parties mention record corporation taxes etc like it’s the gold grail but it’s a pittance compared to what they’re taxing the every day citizen.
    The problem isn’t the hard working people who earn over 100k and pay their taxes , it’s the fact we’re so heavily reliant on these people and SF are portraying these people as the enemy.
    I’m heavily in favour of USC as it’s a progressive tax. Everyone pays their share unlike PAYE.
    I was against it as its another tax on me but ideally I’d like to see it replace PAYE in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    What's wrong with commemorations indeed, funny to hear that from a Sinn Fein supporter after the last few weeks.

We aren't talking about inappropriate state commemorations.

The money raised by taxes like PAYE, vat, excise duty account for about 70% of the tax take.
    You hear parties mention record corporation taxes etc like it’s the gold grail but it’s a pittance compared to what they’re taxing the every day citizen.
    The problem isn’t the hard working people who earn over 100k and pay their taxes , it’s the fact we’re so heavily reliant on these people and SF are portraying these people as the enemy.
    I’m heavily in favour of USC as it’s a progressive tax. Everyone pays their share unlike PAYE.
    I was against it as its another tax on me but ideally I’d like to see it replace PAYE in the long run.

Can you explain what the 'welfare class' is?

The minimum wage worker who needs state aid to make rent so the government can allow vulture funds operate on low taxes is as valid as anybody else.
    We've the fifth highest number of billionaires per capita in the world and housing/homeless/health crises. We need a radical change in the way we do business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

blanch152 wrote: »

Absolutely nothing wrong with them at all.

Until a few politicians and their cronies decide its the state that should pay for what would be a commemoration with very little attendance and pandering to a very small minority of the electorate
    Had FG members decided to run a private commemoration for the RIC financed entirely by themselves, I dont think anyone would have cared a bit.

Sinn Fein commemorate Wolfe Tone every year, and not a single cent of state money is used, its all done through voluntary contribution and the work of unpaid volunteers. No one else cares, they ignore it.

efanton wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing wrong with them at all.

Until a few politicians and their cronies decide its the state that should pay for what would be a commemoration with very little attendance and pandering to a very small minority of the electorate
    Had FG members decided to run a private commemoration for the RIC financed entirely by themselves, I dont think anyone would have cared a bit.

Sinn Fein commemorate Wolfe Tone every year, and not a single cent of state money is used, its all done through voluntary contribution and the work of unpaid volunteers. No one else cares, they ignore it.

The RIC/Tans and their like have commemorations all the time. Nobody asked for a state one, not even the people organised the last RIC/Tan commemoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

The irony is amusing. Those people who are on 100K are the "hard working" ones. Dont make me laugh - they've never done manual labour in their lives they know nothing about "hard Work". They know how to cook books and come up with elaborate economic phraseology in order that they intimidate confuse and belittle the less educated ones who actually do all the hard manual labour in this country. But mark my words - their idea of hard work staying in and auditing accounts until 8pm every night is not "hard work".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Granny15 wrote: »
    The irony is amusing. Those people who are on 100K are the "hard working" ones. Dont make me laugh - they've never done manual labour in their lives they know nothing about "hard Work". They know how to cook books and come up with elaborate economic phraseology in order that they intimidate confuse and belittle the less educated ones who actually do all the hard manual labour in this country. But mark my words - their idea of hard work staying in and auditing accounts until 8pm every night is not "hard work".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

You could say the same about F.F. Currently on around 25 % but the secrecy of the polling booth will ad another 4 at least. Only difference with SF is that FF voters will go and vote whereas SF wont

• Advertisement

Granny15 wrote: »

You’re the one who’s completely clueless and exactly the prime target for SF and their policies.
    Hard work? Does it only apply to manual labourers? How about a project manager who’s doing 60-80 hours a week ensuring he delivers a key project on time??
    How about a doctor or surgeon who’s working 80 hour weeks thanks to the lack of investment and waste in the HSE ? I suppose they’re not “hard” workers because they’re not out in the cold and rain working or serving pints in their local.
    The reason people on welfare or low income get xmas bonuses, council houses for life etc is precisely of these people who you claim are not hard work.
    They’re the ones paying all the taxes.
    I could easily hit over 100k in my job role but it would involve me making sacrifices and making myself available 24/7/365 which I’m not prepared to do for my family.
    But you go ahead and insult these people because you’re stupid enough to believe everyone over 100k is fiddling the books.
    Clown.

Advertisement