Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People like SF candidates but won't vote for SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,186 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's not a lie it's just an exaggeration.

I consider it lying, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I consider it lying, thank you very much.
    Well Francie - I think that's unfair to Blanch - you may be above it but we all call each other fenians, west brits , neo unionists, provies, RA heads, blueshirts etc.

It seems to me that in our little bubble its worse to call someone a liar than a provo or a blueshirt; even if what they are saying is not in fact true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It'd be almost worth SF getting into power just to see the confused look on their acolytes faces as they wonder where all their free money is.

Almost.

Just think of the money they'll save not doing wasteful projects and gain by taxing vulture funds.

A rare insight in to the real SF here from a former party member and TD.
    I think this confirms what a lot of people would have thought.
    If true this could do SF some harm, be interesting to see if this gains any traction, it would certainly stop me if I had any intention of voting SF.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/sinn-fein-tds-have-zero-influence-and-policies-are-handed-down-says-toibin-38901964.html

Spoke on this elsewhere. Labour and Fine Gael do the same thing. I would imagine FF are no different.
    The party HQ make policy not lone candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

mynamejeff wrote: »
    shinners taking a pounding here ,

reckon they will try to get the thread shut down asap :-)

did a six year old get into the thread?

• Advertisement

Well Francie - I think that's unfair to Blanch - you may be above it but we all call each other fenians, west brits , neo unionists, provies, RA heads, blueshirts etc.

It seems to me that in our little bubble its worse to call someone a liar than a provo or a blueshirt; even if what they are saying is not in fact true.

Saying that I 'defend 99% of what SF say and do' is a lie.

You can sprinkle sugar on it all you want, to me it is a downright lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Sadly I don't have voter rights in Ireland as I am Dutch, but I would 100% vote for sinn fein.

Better social policies
    More attention for the environment
    More investment in public transportation
    More taxation of major corporations
    More focus on reuniting Ireland and getting rid of Brits
    More focus on the Irish language.

Sadly I'll never see Sinn Féin in power as long as I live here, if it would ever happen I'd probably already be long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Saying that I 'defend 99% of what SF say and do' is a lie.

You can sprinkle sugar on it all you want, to me it is a downright lie.

That’s right, it’s 100% you defend of what SF say.

And to say you’ve never voted SF in a “general election” is a simply laughable.

Now, I’ll withdraw that remark if this is the first election you’ll be eligible to vote in but you’ve been “shilling” the party for as long as I’ve been on this site.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Now, I’ll withdraw that remark if this is the first election you’ll be eligible to vote in but you’ve been “shilling” the party for as long as I’ve been on this site.

Only on some topics.

I am in my mid 50's and never missed an election/ref in this country. This is my first time voting for SF in a GE, believe it or believe it not.

The argument must be weak when your so willing to take a dig at a poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

machaseh wrote: »
    Sadly I don't have voter rights in Ireland as I am Dutch, but I would 100% vote for sinn fein.

Better social policies
    More attention for the environment
    More investment in public transportation
    More taxation of major corporations
    More focus on reuniting Ireland and getting rid of Brits
    More focus on the Irish language.

Sadly I'll never see Sinn Féin in power as long as I live here, if it would ever happen I'd probably already be long gone.

There’s a very good chance you’ll see them in Government after this election. Time for them to shït or get off the pot, and they are losing some of their more sinister representatives- Adams and Ferris for example, so they’ll be slightly more attractive to FF members.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

maccored wrote: »

As weak as Adams’ “I was never a member of the IRA” argument?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Spoke on this elsewhere. Labour and Fine Gael do the same thing. I would imagine FF are no different.

Are you a SF member Matt?

As weak as Adams’ “I was never a member of the IRA” argument?

As weak as the whataboutery you're delivering

It is unusual that passionate defenders of SF on sites like here, politics.ie, the journal, twitter nearly all seem to be people who never voted for them before but intend to do so this time.

Mighty strange, but I suppose it’s plausible.

Are you a SF member Matt?

No. I do give them a vote from time to time. I read the piece, reminiscent of when I was a Labour party member. Also I know the local FG TD so I know they're at it. Herself flip flopping on two key issues she ran on because FG HQ said so.

Don't confuse calling out FF/FG bullhockey for supporting 'the other team' ;)

You in FF/FG?

It is unusual that passionate defenders of SF on sites like here, politics.ie, the journal, twitter nearly all seem to be people who never voted for them before but intend to do so this time.

Mighty strange, but I suppose it’s plausible.

I can only speak for myself - a SF member who has voted many times for them. Sorry to burst your little bubble there.

I can only speak for myself - a SF member who has voted many times for them. Sorry to burst your little bubble there.

I wasn’t talking about you. Don’t even know who you are to be perfectly honest.

I'm not a bit interested really, I've voted for them in locals myself, just last election even, for a neighbour who ran for them, he didn't get in though, which is a shame, he's a good local activist.

If it was me you were referring to. I am not a member.
    I'll never be a signed up member of any political party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Eh no, the parliamentary party has the primary role in most parties. In Sinn Fein, they never meet without the unelected parliamentary assistants having an equal role.

that doesnt worry me. Just pointing out your point was rubbish.

No. I do give them a vote from time to time. I read the piece, reminiscent of when I was a Labour party member. Also I know the local FG TD so I know they're at it. Herself flip flopping on two key issues she ran on because FG HQ said so.

Don't confuse calling out FF/FG bullhockey for supporting 'the other team' ;)

You in FF/FG?

Not a member of any party, just an interested observer.
    I wouldn't be voting for SF anyway in this election, I'm stuck with a poor choice, but will vote because of that for two candidates in my home county one FG and one FF, not sure which I'll give my first preference to.
    I haven't seen any former member of any party call out the hierarchy of their former party like this though, that's new to me

blanch152 wrote: »
    Eh no, the parliamentary party has the primary role in most parties. In Sinn Fein, they never meet without the unelected parliamentary assistants having an equal role.

I'm speaking of the 'unelected' blanch. Parliamentary would have input but it's career 'unelected' people in HQ also colour the party policies and moves. How do you think parties stay relatively on song regardless of who comes and goes? I know from personal experience.
    The shadowy men in balaclavas telling Mary Lou what to do is kind of 'Jack Ryan', (show). I can see the appeal.

Not a member of any party, just an interested observer.
    I wouldn't be voting for SF anyway in this election, I'm stuck with a poor choice, but will vote because of that for two candidates in my home county one FG and one FF, not sure which I'll give my first preference to.
    I haven't seen any former member of any party call out the hierarchy of their former party like this though, that's new to me

Depends on the situation. If the party need them they'll keep them on and work it out. If they don't, 'disgruntled ex-employee' shtick. Not uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I'm speaking of the 'unelected' blanch. Parliamentary would have input but it's career 'unelected' people in HQ also colour the party policies and moves. How do you think parties stay relatively on song regardless of who comes and goes? I know from personal experience.
    The shadowy men in balaclavas telling Mary Lou what to do is kind of 'Jack Ryan', (show). I can see the appeal.

I somehow don't think you are an ex-TD so your own experience of being an ordinary party member won't shed a lot of light. Unelected people in HQ may go around in other parties ensuring that local branches toe the line, but unlike Sinn Fein, those unelected people take their instructions from the elected politicians.

In Sinn Fein, it is the small cabal who dictate everything.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I somehow don't think you are an ex-TD so your own experience of being an ordinary party member won't shed a lot of light. Unelected people in HQ may go around in other parties ensuring that local branches toe the line, but unlike Sinn Fein, those unelected people take their instructions from the elected politicians.

In Sinn Fein, it is the small cabal who dictate everything.

I don't believe in pretending to be one thing or another. It makes posting here pointless.
    I am not a TD nor ex-TD. The fact that you think TD's command such sway with party politics shows you don't know how parties work. TD's are representatives of the party, who have more input the higher they go or safer their seat, but there is an unelected element in every party HQ colours policy. That's all I'm saying Blanch. I know elected people get told by unelected folk what to push and what to let drop.
    It's not a big story, keep your powder dry for something else, like say Pearse calling Mary Lou autistic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

I don't believe in pretending to be one thing or another. It makes posting here pointless.
    I am not a TD nor ex-TD. The fact that you think TD's command such sway with party politics shows you don't know how parties work. TD's are representatives of the party, who have more input the higher they go or safer their seat, but there is an unelected element in every party HQ colours policy. That's all I'm saying Blanch. I know elected people get told by unelected folk what to push and what to let drop.
    It's not a big story, keep your powder dry for something else, like say Pearse calling Mary Lou autistic.

there was me like a fool thinking that the were meant to be representing US ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Did you look at the byline date?
    Wed, Feb 9, 2000

Advertisement