Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People like SF candidates but won't vote for SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

A policy that's for the working tax payer how ever many they build. New concept I know.

It’s conning the people. Treating the people like imbeciles. €1.3 billion for a dozen major new rail projects.

The Sinn Fein manifesto is the real con job.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

And how many SF promises from the last election were implemented?
    They went into hiding after the last election and didn't appear until a Govt was formed
    Three years in hiding north of the border, agreed to a pension age increase up there but demanding it be brought down here.
    How is the housing crises going in the North?

back to comparing apples with vegetables again I see

• Registered Users Posts: 69,207 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    You are talking about democracy. Is democracy a con job?

I wasn't talking about democracy or the lack of it.

I was alluding to my point about how people con themselves, made earlier in the threas

What answer?

this one
    Originally Posted by Matt Barrett
    You should really ask SF. Likely they'll point you to the manifesto.
    I for one dont know. I believe they say its fully costed and unless we want to do hours of research that's what we have to go on.
    Same with the others.

It’s conning the people. Treating the people like imbeciles. €1.3 billion for a dozen major new rail projects.

What are you worried about?
    If they are in government and pull it off...huge win for the country.

If they don't...sure it wasn't a 'commitment' anyway. We can all absolve them.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The social media SF fanbots remind me of brexiteers. Unhappy with the status quo and wanting a change in the false hope of sunny uplands.

They even mirror tactics like the 350m on the bus like the post I saw where varadkar and Harris cost us 6k per week.

There is a difference between commitments not implemented because a party was not in government and commitments that will never be implemented because they are complete fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’m getting a feeling some SF supporters are starting to get worried about the possibility of being in Government after the election.

The idea of having SF ministers subject to things like limited budgets, unions, macro economic factors, having to make difficult and unpopular decisions - the art of realpolitik. It’s one of the easiest things in the world to be the loud and shrill voice of self-appointed righteousness on the opposition benches. It’s another thing altogether to be coming face to face with senior civil servants and economists giving you a harsh dose of financial reality about your ideas to reverse the pension age, provide free crèche care, and build 100k social houses.

I’m getting a feeling some SF supporters are starting to get worried about the possibility of being in Government after the election.

The idea of having SF ministers subject to things like limited budgets, unions, macro economic factors, having to make difficult and unpopular decisions - the art of realpolitik. It’s one of the easiest things in the world to be the loud and shrill voice of self-appointed righteousness on the opposition benches. It’s another thing altogether to be coming face to face with senior civil servants and economists giving you a harsh dose of financial reality about your ideas to reverse the pension age, provide free crèche care, and build 100k social houses.

i get the feeling its the ABSF crowd who are getting nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Did you miss the bit where I said I thought the figure was low?

After you tried you best to defend it?

I know of people who have single homes for not very much more.
    I got the house I built 'costed' and it was built for a hell of a lot less

I'd imagine these costs are based on economies of scale.
    :rolleyes:

Depends. If you were building one...you couldn't. The savings on building 20 though?

It's how developers get fabulously wealthy.

It's good though you were able to come clean eventually and admit the Shinners were lying in their manifesto.

€65k a house. Shinnernomics is still a thing folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

maccored wrote: »
    i get the feeling its the ABSF crowd who are getting nervous

Nah. Be grand. I’ve come around to the idea I’d like to see it happen. Send young Pearse over to Europe to work on hammering out the trade deal with the uk. Eoin O’B as the Minister for housing getting things sorted. Louise O’Reilly discovering some fresh and previously unthought of idea to fix the macro issues impacting the health service.

Time to step up to the plate lads.

After you tried you best to defend it?

It's good though you were able to come clean eventually and admit the Shinners were lying in their manifesto.

€65k a house. Shinnernomics is still a thing folks.

I know you live in a world where the spooks are constantly under the bed.

Relating real life experience in relation to bogus costings from 'professional' QS's disconnected from concepts of pricing around and actually questioning tenders is not a defence.

Nor is stating almost from the start that I thought the figure was too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Don’t like the candidates and don’t like the party, they are simply a populist party with a manifesto that’s got something in it for everyone and a lot of copy and pasting from FG and FF’s manifestos.

Build houses for 65k not a chance! having bought and renovated a house in the last 3 years I know what things cost its pure BS. Pity the poor fools who fall for these lies.

They will do or say anything to get voted in, just look at their candidates how many times they failed at election time so were moved constituency to more SF friendly areas or used the Seanad as a back door or European elections to raise profiles , sure some were even co-opted in as councillors without people voting for them … and I’m talking here about their supposed top tier - Mary Lou , Eoin Ó Broin and Pearse Doherty.

I will say however at least they are getting rid of some of their more notable IRA comrades this time round attempting to make the party more palatable and less transfer toxic. They really do seem to be courting the young female vote however they have lost some support in their usually strong disgruntled young and old male republican vote.

They always poll around 19% pre elections so this time around is no different will be interesting to see if it collapses on voting day again like last time or holds. There’s no surge just some loud voices clogging up social media as usual. Really isn’t much scope for them to win too many more seats and they aren’t running enough candidates to fully take advantage of any disquiet.

They got a walloping at locals last year because they simply weren’t doing a good job and they didn’t fare any better in the European elections or up North for that matter.

They will be hoping for FF and FG to go into a grand coalition so that they can be the opposition , the Confidence and Supply deal ruined their sneaky plans last time out , Only once they are the main opposition will they become a real threat to forming a government .. unless of course FF or FG let them play ball ... interesting times in any event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Only if you take manifestos as 100% accurate. For me, as I've already said, it's a move in the right direction how every many they end up building. A positive policy shift in favour of the working tax payer.

Shills keep pushing that JF but it's not reality. I will not be giving SF a number one but I'm very hopeful they get in in some form.
    TBF, you sound worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Only if you take manifestos as 100% accurate. For me, as I've already said, it's a move in the right direction how every many they end up building. A positive policy shift in favour of the working tax payer.

Claiming to be able to deliver critical infrastructure for wholly unrealistic figures is a "move in the right direction" not to mention a "positive policy shift in favour of the working tax payer"

You heard it here first folks.

All is forgiven for the NCH fiasco presumably.

Jaysus maybe they should have said they could build the houses for a €10 a pop, that's really making things positive for the taxpayers.

You're obviously happy living in some fantasy world where you swallow the sh;te the Shinners feed you - the rest of us will apply a bit more critical thinking before casting our ballots.

The Sinn Fein party political broadcast was on Rafio One just before the one o clock news.

I’m sure you can find it online.

Mary Lou is asked “is the SF manifesto credible”?

She says yes it is credible and fully costed.

It is not credible.

The Sinn Fein party political broadcast was on Rafio One just before the one o clock news.

It is not credible.

And FG will say the FF one is not credible/undeliverable

And FF will say that FG one is not credible/undeliverable

PBP about Labours

etc etc etc etc.

You are 'conning' yourself if you think any of them are. Or that they are going to be lived up to.

Claiming to be able to deliver critical infrastructure for wholly unrealistic figures is a "move in the right direction" not to mention a "positive policy shift in favour of the working tax payer"

You heard it here first folks.

All is forgiven for the NCH fiasco presumably.

Jaysus maybe they should have said they could build the houses for a €10 a pop, that's really making things positive for the taxpayers.

You're obviously happy living in some fantasy world where you swallow the sh;te the Shinners feed you - the rest of us will apply a bit more critical thinking before casting our ballots.

Building social housing is a move in the right direction Hugs. That's the policy. Likely the implementation will not marry with the manifesto as happens.

Wait, SF caused/are causing the NCH black hole that has it's own money tree orchard? Do you do stretches before you engage in such gymnastics? Firmly on the laps of Fine Gael.

I believe they'll build more social housing if they get in. I think that's a safe logical belief.

It is not credible.

I don't care :)
    See above.

• Advertisement

And FG will say the FF one is not credible/undeliverable

And FF will say that FG one is not credible/undeliverable

PBP about Labours

etc etc etc etc.

You are 'conning' yourself if you think any of them are. Or that they are going to be lived up to.

You accuse me of conning myself? But Mary Lou has specifically said that the SF manifesto is credible and costed? Should we not believe her? Is she lying? Is she not to be trusted?

You accuse me of conning myself? But Mary Lou has specifically said that the SF manifesto is credible and costed? Should we not believe her? Is she lying? Is she not to be trusted?

Jesus, what is your problem with this?

They all gild the lilies/lie/exaggerate in their manifestos, probably because for 100 years people have fooled themselves into believing them.

ALL OF THEM.

THEY ARE NOT TO BE TRUSTED as indications of what a party will do in government. Their past actions are.

Jaysus. :rolleyes:

Jesus, what is your problem with this?

They all gild the lilies/lie/exaggerate in their manifestos, probably because for 100 years people have fooled themselves into believing them.

ALL OF THEM.

THEY ARE NOT TO BE TRUSTED as indications of what a party will do in government. Their past actions are.

Jaysus. :rolleyes:

Tough to defend FG/FF, so go on the attack. You would think they'd create FG threads and talk up FF/FG, but alas, no material.

Tough to defend FG/FF, so go on the attack. You would think they'd create FG threads and talk up FF/FG, but alas, no material.

Show me any party’s manifesto promising to deliver a dozen major railway projects like a new Derry to Sligo railway, which alone has been costed at a billion and building houses for €65k a pop and ill heap scorn and ridicule on it too.

Tough to defend SF with a rainbows and unicorns manifesto like this, don’t you think?

Show me any party’s manifesto promising to deliver a dozen major railway projects like a new Derry to Sligo railway, which alone has been costed at a billion and building houses for €65k a pop and ill heap scorn and ridicule on it too.

Tough to defend SF with a rainbows and unicorns manifesto like this, don’t you think?

I'd find it tough to be defending manifestos that allow un-elected multinationals to decide our tax policy (directly or indirectly, you decide how it's arrived at)...but sure there you go. Manifestos!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I'd find it tough to be defending manifestos that allow un-elected multinationals to decide our tax policy (directly or indirectly, you decide how it's arrived at)...but sure there you go. Manifestos!

You're a caution Francie. Can you point to that in a manifesto?

Our little country has developed well under FF and FG, its not utopia, but changing to any other flip flop hash of a leftist make up won't change that.

You're a caution Francie. Can you point to that in a manifesto?

People won't tax them properly or fairly -because they will leave...haven't you heard?
    That is indirect influence to my mind. I wonder were FG or FF told they would leave by any of the FDIer's? That would be direct unelected influence.

People won't tax them properly or fairly -because they will leave...haven't you heard?
    That is indirect influence to my mind. I wonder were FG or FF told they would leave by any of the FDIer's? That would be direct unelected influence.

So have SF decided to increase our corporation tax rate unbeknown to me, I missed that.

• Advertisement

No. Look yourself. I'm not arsed.

Not defending, saying building social housing is great. If they fall short, it'll be disappointing but that's okay. Not like saying no more quangos and then creating IW, putting pals on the board and having a deal with Denis O'Brien (again) currently under investigation.
    You seem to be obsessed. I think you secretly want to vote SF.

Advertisement