Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People like SF candidates but won't vote for SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

McMurphy wrote: »
    I wouldn't be holding private pensions up as a beacon, not after Noonan raided people's a few years ago.

I’m not “holding private pensions up as a beacon” as you put it. I am using them as an example of an investment.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    It’s as likely to be a reaction by investors to the potential of Sinn Fein in government as anything else.

This line of thinking is absolutely nonsense.and has no basis in reality anyone speaking like this has no clue how international finance works.

smurgen wrote: »
    This line of thinking is absolutely nonsense.and has no basis in reality anyone speaking like this has no clue how international finance works.

Oh yes “international finance” doesn’t react to political change.

I’m going to have to use the deluded word again.

Oh yes “international finance” doesn’t react to political change.

I’m going to have to use the deluded word again.

I work in finance.i noticed the FGers and other "established" parties overplay the importance of political changes constantly in a bid to hold onto the status quo.
    Perfect example of this is Greece. After all the scaremongering of left wing parties they're back borrowing at negative interest rates.just as good as ireland.can you explain that?

I work in finance.i noticed the FGers and other "established" parties overplay the importance of political changes constantly in a bid to hold onto the status quo.
    Perfect example of this is Greece. After all the scaremongering of left wing parties they're back borrowing at negative interest rates.just as good as ireland.can you explain that?

You “work in finance” yet want an explanation on international finance from someone you describe as clueless?
    Ok chief.

• Advertisement

You “work in finance” yet want an explanation on international finance from someone you describe as clueless?
    Ok chief.

You can't explain it PERFECT! Good to clear that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

What about saving for one’s retirement? Is a pension an investment?

If its on property speculation during a crises I don't care if it's for orphaned puppies. Its stepping on your neighbour's neck to get ahead. The government should not be assisting with tax payer money.
    Many are from abroad.

If its on property speculation during a crises I don't care if it's for orphaned puppies.
    Many are from abroad.

Not only that but alot of the ICAV's and REIT funds I've seen through work are leveraged up through loans from.....wait for it! Irish banks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

McMurphy wrote: »
    What would you call Leo and Simon urging the DUP and SF to sit down and get working with each other again in Stormont, while Leo and Simon are categorically ruling out working with Sinn Fein in the Dail?

Maybe have a read over your posts before hitting the submit button.

Pretty clear you aren't fussed on SF, but don't over egg the pudding with hypocritical statements like the last couple.

NI isn't a proper democracy. It's a mandated power sharing arrangement. Also there's no danger of SF imposing economic lunacy in the North as they don't have the power to do so there.

Leo is correct to rule out SF here because there is such a wide gap economically. But FF and SF are center left and left respectively, both claim to be 'the republican party' so it's possible for them to compromise.

FF are fearful though because there's not much danger of FF followers moving to FG but lots moving to SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ok chief.

" Work in finance"

All right all right, he does the door on the local bingo hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Edgware wrote: »
    " Work in finance"

Well he certainly bounced SafeSurfer out of the conversation as he didn't want to engage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Yes, they complied and done a uturn on their original stance.

Edgware wrote: »
    " Work in finance"

I'd get specific about what I do if anyone else asked.but I genuinely wouldn't waste my time with yourself.

Well he certainly bounced SafeSurfer out of the conversation as he didn't want to engage.

Some of us have to work. Unlike some people who are on defending a political party 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

How is that 16% unemployment working out for the Greeks?

Some of us have to work.

You should vote SF, apparently they can help you there!

You should vote SF, apparently they can help you there!

How? By paying me to spend all my time on boards.

I thought SF would want to forget it’s embarrassing association with the the failed policies of Syriza in Greece.

How? By paying me to spend all my time on boards.

No...apparently SF will pay you not to work.

No...apparently SF will pay you not to work.

Well if it’s in the manifesto it must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Email been sent to SF members:

Hi Comrade,

As you know we are a week away from polling day,. As you can expect given the recent polls the anti SF West Brit media, are going into overdrive.

Just last week during the debate, the Irish Independent fact checked claimed Mary Lou was false regarding the banks not paying any money to the Exchequer.

We also have people saying that we dont want to govern because we are not running enough candidates.

People are also saying that out housing policy numbers don't add up....

Economists are also saying that out social welfare package, increase in taxes and our massive spending plan would bankrupt the country.

We here at SF HQ (Back room behind the Rock Bat on the Falls). Have come up with some replies you can use to counteract the SF media Bias.

1) Just say RTE is biased
    2) Blame the person for been a West Brit/Blue shirt
    3) Attack the person, call him names,
    4) For the most famous anti SF people remember:

Austin Stack is FF. He only brining up his father's death to hurt is.

Maria Cahill is a dissident, like who can honestly believe people go from believing in Armed campaign to achieving goals through peaceful means.

5) Remember it was all about Civil Rights, even when we threatened Mallon and Hume it was all about Civil rights.

6 The most important thing is to not engage, do not try to discuss the points made, as there is no point. The Army Council have ran the numbers and sure we can always raise a few quid if needed. Don't waste your time debating the facts. Attack the person

• Advertisement

How is that 16% unemployment working out for the Greeks?

The Greeks always had that.in fact it was alot worse.down from a high of 26 per cent before the current government took over IIRC. My point is the sky didn't fall under a left wing government.and interest rates and the cost of borrowing for the country is on par with Ireland.FGers want us to believe investment and risk will shoot up under anyone but them.completely fictional.

piplip87 wrote: »
    Email been sent to SF members:

Hi Comrade,

As you know we are a week away from polling day,. As you can expect given the recent polls the anti SF West Brit media, are going into overdrive.

Just last week during the debate, the Irish Independent fact checked claimed Mary Lou was false regarding the banks not paying any money to the Exchequer.

We also have people saying that we dont want to govern because we are not running enough candidates.

People are also saying that out housing policy numbers don't add up....

Economists are also saying that out social welfare package, increase in taxes and our massive spending plan would bankrupt the country.

We here at SF HQ (Back room behind the Rock Bat on the Falls). Have come up with some replies you can use to counteract the SF media Bias.

1) Just say RTE is biased
    2) Blame the person for been a West Brit/Blue shirt
    3) Attack the person, call him names,
    4) For the most famous anti SF people remember:

Austin Stack is FF. He only brining up his father's death to hurt is.

Maria Cahill is a dissident, like who can honestly believe people go from believing in Armed campaign to achieving goals through peaceful means.

5) Remember it was all about Civil Rights, even when we threatened Mallon and Hume it was all about Civil rights.

6 The most important thing is to not engage, do not try to discuss the points made, as there is no point. The Army Council have ran the numbers and sure we can always raise a few quid if needed. Don't waste your time debating the facts. Attack the person

Is that meant to be funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

A vote for Sinn Fein is a vote for a united ireland

Is that meant to be funny?

You'll have a week of certain elements trying to make it about stuff like this...the coven of old white bearded men in the caves of South Armagh and Antrim pulling the strings to gain power. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Both jurisdictions will be run from Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

A vote for Sinn Fein is a vote for a united ireland

Do tell, how to you envision a united Ireland? One where we tell the prods and orangemen up north to go and bugger off? Two wrongs won't make things right. Any united Ireland will have to be respectful of the culture of Unionists up North. Many concessions will have to be made and the olive branch extended, it's not just a case of singing Amhran na Bhfiann and telling unionists to go back to mainland Britian. What worries me is that the DUP and Sinn Fein have polarised the North. Pity the more moderate parties have faded away. Hopefully that will change and we can build a united Ireland for all. Not Sinn Fein's version of a united Ireland just for nationalists

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

interesting article below and I have extracted it bit of it and pasted it below. What I find really interesting is FG and FF etc, are all light as hell on crime. I honestly think Varadkar can be justified in his concerns for the economy etc, that is speculation. But I honestly think his biggest fear is, that a FF / SF may end the rip off housing that varadkar supports...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/varadkar-and-martin-clash-over-sinn-f%C3%A9in-coalition-option-1.4159056

Fianna Fáil can’t be trusted to keep Sinn Féin out of government, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said on Saturday as the three leading parties continued to spar over possible coalition options.

Mr Varadkar said: “The Fine Gael position on this is absolutely unequivocal - we won’t consider a coalition with Sinn Féin after the election and that’s down to their policies - the fact that they are soft on crime and high on tax.

“They opposed the Special Criminal Court and they want to impose €4 billion extra taxes on Irish businesses, on peoples’ pensions, on property and wealth all of which would cost us jobs and cause wealth to leave the country.”

However, “ I don’t trust Fianna Fáil because quite a lot of their candidates have said that they would be open to coalition to Sinn Féin - Pat the Cope Gallagher, Dara O’Brien, John McGuinness, Kevin O’Keeffe and Mary Butler. ”

The Taoiseach was responding to Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin’s claim on Friday that he “wouldn’t trust” Mr Varadkar not to strike a deal with Sinn Féin if it meant staying in government.

Speaking on Saturday, Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald described the exchanges as “very childish” and “silly”.

Focus group research carried out by Ipsos/MRBI for The Irish Times on Saturday shows undecided voters are overwhelmingly in favour of change in next week’s general election.

The research finds that some voters are attracted to Sinn Féin’s message of radical change, which was echoed in the opinion poll published in this paper last week which saw the party gain seven points to reach 21 per cent.

almostover wrote: »
    Not Sinn Fein's version of a united Ireland just for nationalists

Where did you find this version? Is it from the same place that the email above came from? :)

Please link to SF's 'version of a UI just for nationalists'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

Where did you find this version? Is it from the same place that the email above came from? :)

Please link to SF's 'version of a UI just for nationalists'.

SF are constantly clamouring for a UI but what is their proposal for making that work? I remain unconvinced that they have a coherent plan beyond the border poll for actually making a peaceful UI work. Having said that FF and FG don't either.

• Advertisement

almostover wrote: »
    SF are constantly clamouring for a UI but what is their proposal for making that work? I remain unconvinced that they have a coherent plan beyond the border poll for actually making a peaceful UI work. Having said that FF and FG don't either.

So you don't have a SF 'version of a UI just for nationalists' and now want to talk about something else?

Brilliant. Go to the threads on a UI and there will be plenty of links to what they have to say on a UI that will be equal and inclusive for everybody.

And you are also wrong on FF and FG. There has been quite a bit of work done in all party committee, regardless whether you agree with the findings.
    You scored a bit of a hatrick there.

Advertisement