Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People like SF candidates but won't vote for SF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

christy c wrote: »
    Irish water looks like a rounding error in comparison to the manifestos that are out at the moment.

Irish water looks like s rounding error in comparison to the NCH.do ye have a final figure there yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

McMurphy wrote: »
    Irish water wasn't just a financial disaster, it was a PR disaster also.

Big Phil got shunted to Europe over it, and Alan Kelly wasn't much better arrogance wise for a replacement.

Yep, but it's like "I'll see your Irish water, and I'll raise you some combination of idiotic tax cuts and spending increases". The resultant recession would be more of a PR disaster I'd guess.

And you could say that about probably all manifestos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

smurgen wrote: »
    Irish water looks like s rounding error in comparison to the NCH.do ye have a final figure there yet?

Who's ye? Presume there won't be a final figure until it's finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

100,000 houses and the people to build them are going to come home from oz and NZ SF say.

Like is that enough to believe it will actually happen?

Hoping people will come home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

100,000 houses and the people to build them are going to come home from oz and NZ SF say.

But Mary Lou said it so the people must believe her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Apparently them 100,000 new houses are to be built in Dublin.. Looks like the Irish sea is to become a housing estate :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

But yet FF claim they are going to build 200,000 over the same period. Reduced down from 250,000 as was printed on their manifesto (which they claim was a typo)!

Whelo79 wrote: »
    But yet FF claim they are going to build 200,000 over the same period. Reduced down from 250,000 as was printed on their manifesto (which they claim was a typo)!

I know, more BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And Leo when asked where the workers to build his would come from says, 'they will certainly be people needed from outside'.
    When pressured to say where they would live while helping out...he says, 'same as they did last time'.

:) Manifestos? Don't make me laugh. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I know, more BS.

So why focus your ridicule and smart comments on the SF number of 100,000 when FF have stated they will build double that number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Have you a link for that, I'd like to read more about it tbh.

So why focus your ridicule and smart comments on the SF number of 100,000 when FF have stated they will build double that number?

Eh because this is a SF thread.

Have you a link for that, I'd like to read more about it tbh.

She said it in the debate on Virgin the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

That's right. I'm sure they will all be running back to live in Mary Lou's regime especially thehighly qualified Architects and Quantity Surveyors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I watched the debate, but that doesn't stand out to me.

My guess is you're possibly quoting something out of context though.

I watched the debate, but that doesn't stand out to me.

My guess is you're possibly quoting something out of context though.

No she did say it.

They were talking about it on newstalk the day after.

Or was it the RTÉ debate?

I could be mixing them up.

She said if people working away see a massive house building programme they will want to come home and help, someone The said yeah and where will they live while this is all going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Edgware wrote: »

That's right. I'm sure they will all be running back to live in Mary Lou's regime especially thehighly qualified Architects and Quantity Surveyors

Well they seem to be in absence as is it's like there's none employed for the NCH project.all we have is PWC writing and justifying blank cheques on behalf of fine Gael

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

SF is a party of Ideology, Ideology is very destructive to any country because they use the country to achieve their vision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    SF is a party of Ideology, Ideology is very destructive to any country because they use the country to achieve their vision.

yeah and FG lust for rip off prices and that ideology, that isnt destructive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    So we stay in limbo?

As I posted on another thread:
    I dislike Sinn Fein. I see them more of a social-welfare and open-border party than anything else.

But the way I see it is that they will either destroy the economy with Venezuelan-type policies (within the confines allowed by the EU), which would then finally require a reboot of the country to give us a better Ireland v2, or they may actually indeed initiate change and give the people who work or contribute to society the services and infrastructure that we deserve. Either way, it will be CHANGE and we will not have the same FFG lies, corruption and cronyism that we have been forced to endure for many decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

She said if people working away see a massive house building programme they will want to come home and help, someone The said yeah and where will they live while this is all going on.

She talked also about redirecting building in the commercial office sector into building homes. It's not clear how she would make that happen, but I guess a government can provide for some incentives for that.

There was some construction expert on RTE this morning talking about skills shortages in civil engineers, project managers and QS and also in the wet trades. Said that there were people abroad who would like to come home to take up those positions, but couldn't afford to because of house/rent prices. So we have a chicken and egg situation.

I'm very sceptical of any party that promises a rapid acceleration in home building. I think the problem will be solved by painfully slow incremental improvements.
    Obviously an economic crash would also do the trick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The establishment parties (and posters) will all go after SF this week. It may backfire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

The establishment parties (and posters) will all go after SF this week. It may backfire.

That will be the worst thing they could possibly do.

The Irish people are a strange breed of people indeed. We all want to be on the winning side, but when someone is getting a severe beating or kicking to our credit most react badly to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Kivaro wrote: »
    it will be CHANGE
    That what is scaring me, change with no workable plan is suicidal.
    You never miss the water till the well runs dry

SF plan is milk the fat cows to feed poor people, the cows will die and the poor will starve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Phoebas wrote: »
    She talked also about redirecting building in the commercial office sector into building homes. It's not clear how she would make that happen, but I guess a government can provide for some incentives for that.

There was some construction expert on RTE this morning talking about skills shortages in civil engineers, project managers and QS and also in the wet trades. Said that there were people abroad who would like to come home to take up those positions, but couldn't afford to because of house/rent prices. So we have a chicken and egg situation.

I'm very sceptical of any party that promises a rapid acceleration in home building. I think the problem will be solved by painfully slow incremental improvements.
    Obviously an economic crash would also do the trick.

RTE 'experts' are usually far from expert.

Building houses is not that complicated nor does it need exceptional skilled or highly qualified workers. It not as if they will be building a massive dam, or the Millau Bridge.

It will be all about the project management. If they get it right the same teams of bricklayers could move from one site to the next with no big gaps between. Tell a bricklayer that he has 9 months or more of continuous work on the same contract and most will be very willing to travel for that, and even brickies in the UK might be very tempted indeed.
    Likewise for the plasterers and chippies.

The biggest issue would be accommodation for these workers.
    The government seems to be able to take over entire hotels when they need to for asylum seekers, I cant see why they will not consider accommodation of these home builders as an equal or higher priority. Lump the accommodation in as part of the contract and it would be even more tempting.

If they get the project management completely wrong and yes it could turn into one almighty balls up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

efanton wrote: »
    That will be the worst thing they could possibly do.

The Irish people are a strange breed of people indeed. We all want to be on the winning side, but when someone is getting a severe beating or kicking to our credit most react badly to that.

Yes the majority of Irish people react badly to severe beatings, knee cappings, punishment beatings etc. Which is why SF was and is a minor party.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Yes the majority of Irish people react badly to severe beatings, knee cappings, punishment beatings etc. Which is why SF was and is a minor party.

Third largest in the state for the last few years, currently rated 2nd largest in the state afaik. I remember when they didn't have a single seat.

Building houses is not that complicated nor does it need exceptional skilled or highly qualified workers. It not as if they will be building a massive dam, or the Millau Bridge.

It will be all about the project management. If they get it right the same teams of bricklayers could move from one site to the next with no big gaps between. Tell a bricklayer that he has 9 months or more of continuous work on the same contract and most will be very willing to travel for that, and even brickies in the UK might be very tempted indeed.

The government seems to be able to take over entire hotels when they need to for asylum seekers, I cant see why they will not consider accommodation of these home builders as an equal or higher priority. Lump the accommodation in as part of the contract and it would be even more tempting.

If they get the project management completely wrong and yes it could turn into one almighty balls up.

I actually do see a simple solution to this. Use state owned land and just throw up mobiles on it , or something that can be moved easily and used again. I believe when my dad was working on a hospital in Berlin in the early nineties, that’s what they did there. This issue is obviously being addressed to get infrastructure built across the world. Just see what they are doing ...

Rip off rents and even getting accommodation, would make it hard to attract workers ...

Have you a cost for all this and where the money comes from?

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »

Yeah and what is that to me now and loads of others I know fcuked by this housing crisis ? Ffg are currently taking the piss. If you were in the other side of the fence , you’d feel differently.

Advertisement