Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People like SF candidates but won't vote for SF

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭maccored

spurious wrote: »
    That has always been the problem SF have. Their voters talk the big talk but don't get out and vote on the day.

No loss really.

mightnt be exactly the same this time around. According to Red C more people under 45 have polled they'll vote SF this time than ever before.

Personally I want to see a FF/FG government. let SF gain some seats (hopefully) then spend the next five years as the real opposition and hopefully the following government wont have FF or FG in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Fella in my local was talking about the election last night

Sick of FF/FG so he stated that he was going to vote SF

Only issue there is that SF don't have a candidate in my constituency

I think SF will refret not running more candidates with their pre-election surge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Until S.F. get into power their catch all policies wont be tested. Even with a good turnout they have candidates that will not be elected particularly in three seaters or up against strong FF FG or Greens. But certainly it seems to be a three way race now and it is Indos and small left parties will suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Fella in my local was talking about the election last night

Sick of FF/FG so he stated that he was going to vote SF

Only issue there is that SF don't have a candidate in my constituency

I think SF will refret not running more candidates with their pre-election surge

yeah, who knows with how quick things change, but I assume they will be running more candidates next time and will have learned from this... I think if many voted for them, given they have run so few candidates, its kind of perfect. Give the government a serious message, that they are one more **** term away, from an actual prospect of SF being the largest party...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The surge of the shinners I think is on the back of the constant and persistent bashing of them by the media and FF/FG.

Sinn Fein, Sinn Fein, Sinn Fein, it's all I'm hearing on the radio this morning, Leo was discussing them with SOR, Pat Kenny was discussing them this morning, and now Eamon Delaney is on Newstalk talking about their surge.

The strategy of ostracism and attacking them has completely and utterly backfired by the looks of things.

"Whiff of cordite" saying being laughed at and mocked by Kelly/Delaney as I type this out. The notion of younger people giving two flutes is being suggested by both.

Delaney has an article in the Belfast Telegraph if anyone wants to read it by the way.

Fianna Fail and Fine Gael cast Sinn Fein as the wolf in the fading balaclava, yet those same two parties want them at Stormont
    Attacks by Varadkar and Martin are not only signs of desperation and hypocrisy, they're benefiting opponents

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    The surge of the shinners I think is on the back of the constant and persistent bashing of them by the media and FF/FG.

Sinn Fein, Sinn Fein, Sinn Fein, it's all I'm hearing on the radio this morning, Leo was discussing them with SOR, Pat Kenny was discussing them this morning, and now Eamon Delaney is on Newstalk talking about their surge.

The strategy of ostracism and attacking them has completely and utterly backfired by the looks of things.

"Whiff of cordite" saying being laughed at and mocked by Kelly/Delaney as I type this out. The notion of younger people giving two flutes is being suggested by both.

its been twenty two years since the GFA. The Provos are long gone.

Delaney has an article in the Belfast Telegraph if anyone wants to read it by the way.

Fianna Fail and Fine Gael cast Sinn Fein as the wolf in the fading balaclava, yet those same two parties want them at Stormont
    exactly. FFG banging on about their past, that shower of inept *£$&&£&$ are responsible for deaths every day in this country! If that's the best they can come up with! SF will be worse, you know what , I am willing to put that to the test at this stage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,255 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You may be right that it may be backfiring on Vardakar and Martin when they highlight Sinn Fein's issues but that doesn't make what they say untrue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

maccored wrote: »
    its been twenty two years since the GFA. The Provos are long gone.

Except in the queue for hip replacements. hearing aids etc

You may be right that it may be backfiring on Vardakar and Martin when they highlight Sinn Fein's issues but that doesn't make what they say untrue.
    They keep on harping on about what SF have done! Ill tell you what they have done over the last few decades , deliver **** government. If FFG think that younger voters primarily are going to accept rip off housing, and take it, because of "something, somethings, SF past" not for much longer...

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »

No, but it appears to be making it irrelevant.

I would think of FFG and SF, FF have the least to offer. dangerous, populist. SF would probably inject urgency which is desperately needed FFG, are glacial.

Edgware wrote: »
    Except in the queue for hip replacements. hearing aids etc

that whizzed right over my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

FF grassroots are most definitely waiting in the long grass for Martin and the front bench. They should be surging ahead with clear distance between them and the rest of the field.

They aren't. And the reasons are Martin leading them into a C&S arrangement and his strategy of going for SF. I spoke to a FF stalwart here and local councillor less than an hour ago and he is livid that martin has shut the door on forming a government with 'people I work with every day of the week' were his exact words.

FF grassroots are most definitely waiting in the long grass for Martin and the front bench. They should be surging ahead with clear distance between them and the rest of the field.

They aren't. And the reasons are Martin leading them into a C&S arrangement and his strategy of going for SF. I spoke to a FF stalwart here and local councillor less than an hour ago and he is livid that martin has shut the door on forming a government with 'people I work with every day of the week' were his exact words.

but like John McGuinness

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/fianna-f%C3%A1il-td-rejects-party-leader-s-criticism-of-sinn-f%C3%A9in-1.4159410
    “I find it strange that they would say that the [Fianna Fáil] TDs are consulted - sometimes we’re not consulted at all.”

The former Public Accounts Committee chairman said he hoped the government formed after Saturday’s vote would be a centre-left one aimed at delivering “an agenda of social change”, focusing on health, the elderly and housing.

However, he described recent comments from Mr Martin, that Sinn Féin were controlled by “shadowy figures” within its ard chomairle, as “strange”, and argued the decision-making process was similar for Fianna Fáil.

No, but it appears to be making it irrelevant.

Sadly, it seems that you are right.

Still, at least I have my €20 bet on SF/FF.

I got on at 12/1, it's now in to 9/2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I have have met many of these stereotype SF supporters that is the main SF demographic in Dublin. It is never going to be in the more leafier suburbs. let's call a spade a spade.
    The SF strategy is clear -
    1) Distant themselves from the troubles
    2) Feminise the party candidates
    3) Try and attract the youth vote
    4) Try and move on from the working class base

How many professional middle classes in Dublin have you ever met that vote SF?
    Be honest at with yourself at least.
    Because there is always at least a grain of truth in every stereotype.

Riddle me this, Varadkar said FG aren't the nasty party, yet this is probably the third 'critique' of Sinn Fein supporters in as many days. Not painting FG/FF in the best of lights IMO. This one trying to make a party trying to cadge votes out to be nefarious or some sh*te. Amusing.

Do we want to get into what type of characters vote FF/FG? :rolleyes:

Riddle me this, Varadkar said FG aren't the nasty party, yet this is probably the third 'critique' of Sinn Fein supporters in as many days. Not painting FG/FF in the best of lights IMO. This one trying to make a party trying to cadge votes out to be nefarious or some sh*te. Amusing.

Do we want to get into what type of characters vote FF/FG? :rolleyes:

If you want to get an idea of what Sinn Fein supporters are like, just have a look at Mairia Cahill's Twitter and social media feeds and you will see every low-life Sinn Fein troll in full glory, except for the most outrageous who have been banned by Twitter.

blanch152 wrote: »
    If you want to get an idea of what Sinn Fein supporters are like, just have a look at Mairia Cahill's Twitter and social media feeds and you will see every low-life Sinn Fein troll in full glory, except for the most outrageous who have been banned by Twitter.

Does Ms. Cahill know you use her and victimhood often in online political discussion to try score points? You've not mentioned Jean McConville in a while. Maybe rotate a bit more often?
    Are you following some form of quota?
    When I think of Maria Cahill I think of FG/Lab using her to try score points against SF, her a dissident anti-GFA person.
    Look chances are SF won't get in might be more credible if you lads went after FF a little bit considering they 'practically had us eating out of bins'. The repetitive SF rhetoric is boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,916 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This thread is about the fact that people like and even respect some SF candidates but won't vote for them.
    It really has a lot to do with historical links to PIRA but also because they are more left leaning which frightens a lot of the electorate.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    This thread is about the fact that people like and even respect some SF candidates but won't vote for them.
    It really has a lot to do with historical links to PIRA but also because they are more left leaning which frightens a lot of the electorate.

we already have left wing government on taxation, what else do they have to fear? their property not being worth as much on paper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Does Ms. Cahill know you use her and victimhood often in online political discussion to try score points? You've not mentioned Jean McConville in a while. Maybe rotate a bit more often?
    Are you following some form of quota?
    When I think of Maria Cahill I think of FG/Lab using her to try score points against SF, her a dissident anti-GFA person.
    Look chances are SF won't get in might be more credible if you lads went after FF a little bit considering they 'practically had us eating out of bins'. The repetitive SF rhetoric is boring.

that is really low but not at all surprising. If you have any decency you will edit your post and remove that.

that is really low but not at all surprising. If you have any decency you will edit your post and remove that.

Why? It's true. I think using victims of violence/crime to help scratch a little '1' on your political points scoreboard is poor form.

Why? It's true. I think using victims of violence/crime to help scratch a little '1' on your political points scoreboard is poor form.

and what exactly do you think you are doing by referencing her?

What's really low is people using her death for cheap political point scoring - even Enda Kenny was at it in our national parliament.

Pointing out that others do be at it is entirely reasonable, it would possibly be low if it was untrue.

It's not untrue though.

What's really low is people using her death for cheap political point scoring - even Enda Kenny was at it in our national parliament.

Pointing out that others do be at it is entirely reasonable, it would possibly be low if it was untrue.

It's not untrue though.

Which is exactly what Matt Barrett has done. Using it as a cheap stick to beat someone he disagrees with. Hypocrisy all round.

and what exactly do you think you are doing by referencing her?

Stating that it's bad form. Are you not reading the quotes?
    Which is exactly what Matt Barrett has done. Using it as a cheap stick to beat someone he disagrees with. Hypocrisy all round.

What nonsense. Disagrees with for using victims.
    So are you doing that too now? Codology.

Stating that it's bad form. Are you not reading the quotes?

What nonsense. Disagrees with for using victims.
    So are you doing that too now? Codology.

You replied to blanch. Blanch has not mentioned her. And it is really poor form from SF supporters to dismiss people's genuine concern about a party affiliated (or really two cheeks of the same arse) with an organisation responsible for acts of murder against civilians. Unfortunately i have come to expect nothing less from SF. mention their murderous past and you get accused of cheap point scoring. They seem to be doing well with younger voters because those younger voters dont know the history of SF. You and the other SF supporters get pissed when others remind these younger voters of exactly who SF are. a party of convicted thugs and murderers.

We're looking at it from two different angles so because that's not how I viewed it, but let's agree to disagree and move on.

Does anyone forsee a potential leadership heave against M.M in FF over him essentially painting his party into a corner by ruling out working with both FG and SF?

Yes it's early days, and I'm sceptical of the polls, but if the shinners leapfrog FG in 2020, it will truly be a remarkable achievement.

• Advertisement

You replied to blanch. Blanch has not mentioned her. And it is really poor form from SF supporters to dismiss people's genuine concern about a party affiliated (or really two cheeks of the same arse) with an organisation responsible for acts of murder against civilians. Unfortunately i have come to expect nothing less from SF. mention their murderous past and you get accused of cheap point scoring. They seem to be doing well with younger voters because those younger voters dont know the history of SF. You and the other SF supporters get pissed when others remind these younger voters of exactly who SF are. a party of convicted thugs and murderers.

You are not being sincere here.
    He used Maria Cahill and has used Jean McConville. That's what I posted on. You don't like it, cool. I think it's poor form and disrespectful out of context.
    If you read back I was commenting about the FG team's insistence on criticising people who vote SF. His response was to use Maria Cahill, so give over. Nasty tactics by the blueshirted brethren IMO. So take your faux moral outrage elsewhere thanks I'm not buying.
    FYI: This is what myself and others post on the hypocrisy and spin from FG, not so much support for SF a party I've never given a No.1 to in my life.

Advertisement