Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People like SF candidates but won't vote for SF

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SantaCruz

maccored wrote: »
    anyone with a job earns over 100 grand a year? OP - this is why people dont vote SF - they're too caught up with the anti SF hype.
    Any idea what you actually take home if you are clever enough or work your balls off long enough (or more likely, both) to earn 100k a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    You are suggesting that FF should be “romping home” with an overall majority?

I really don’t know what to say to that.

I am saying that if FF had actually taken decisive action removed all those that TD's and ministers that were on the front benches making the decisions that caused the bailout from being selected as candidates in future elections when FG won the General Election 9 years ago, many voters would by now have returned to voting for FF.

They didnt, they stuck two finger up to the people of Ireland in a display of sheer arrogance and tried to carry on just as before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

efanton wrote: »
    I am saying that if FF had actually taken decisive action removed all those that TD's and ministers that were on the front benches making the decisions that caused the bailout from being selected as candidates in future elections when FG won the General Election 9 years ago, many voters would by now have returned to voting for FF.

They didnt, they stuck two finger up to the people of Ireland in a display of sheer arrogance and tried to carry on just as before.

Thats just letting your frustration and desire for revenge getting in your way of voting for the option that is best for you. You have a desire for your pound of flesh. It is warping your voting decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Martin has been saying the people will give him an emphatic mandate to lead a government.
    They won't on %'s if these polls play out on Saturday.

Nobody has suggested an emphatic mandate means an overall majority.
    I was replying to a post which claimed FF should easily achieve an overall majority. This is, as you know, nonsense.

FF will be the largest party in the 33rd Dail by quite some margin.
    That is a resounding democratic mandate to lead a government however you want to spin it.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

What you actually said was that if FF took all the measures you suggested they should be “romping home” to an overall majority. Something last achieved in 1977.
    That is pure fantasy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

SantaCruz wrote: »
    Any idea what you actually take home if you are clever enough or work your balls off long enough (or more likely, both) to earn 100k a year?

at the minute, in the 50% tax range, no - I wont get there for quite a while - and I have both of the requirements mentioned.

On paper I might get near it by having no life because Im either getting cleverer or realising Ive no balls left as Ive worked them off. Thats a **** life though, and I dont want one of those. The last decade has been bad enough and it isnt looking any better atm.

China built a hospital in 10 days and we instead sink billions into a hospital thats taking years. Calling that progress is just bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Thats just letting your frustration and desire for revenge getting in your way of voting for the option that is best for you. You have a desire for your pound of flesh. It is warping your voting decision.

Not at all. Most of my friends and relations have been life long FF voters. Half of them will not be voting FF.
    What does that tell you?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nobody has suggested an emphatic mandate means an overall majority.
      I was replying to a post which claimed FF should easily achieve an overall majority. This is, as you know, nonsense.

FF will be the largest party in the 33rd Dail by quite some margin.
      That is a resounding democratic mandate to lead a government however you want to spin it.

If the polls play out on Saturday, it will be far from it in reality. Martin will only receive a mandate because SF didn't run enough candidates.

If you know FF grassroots like I do, that is gonna hurt, a lot.

1. Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Not at all. Most of my friends and relations have been life long FF voters. Half of them will not be voting FF.
      What does that tell you?

Nothing. The sample is too small and unrepresentative (not to mention your lack of scientific polling to get that 50% figure) from which to draw any conclusion at all.

2. Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

If the polls play out on Saturday, it will be far from it in reality. Martin will only receive a mandate because SF didn't run enough candidates.

If you know FF grassroots like I do, that is gonna hurt, a lot.

I believe I have a grasp of FF grassroots too and from cumann level to councillors to TDs and senators, they know that partnership with SF is the kiss of death for them.

1. Advertisement
      2. Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SantaCruz

at the minute, in the 50% tax range, no - I wont get there for quite a while - and I have both of the requirements mentioned.

On paper I might get near it by having no life because Im either getting cleverer or realising Ive no balls left as Ive worked them off. Thats a **** life though, and I dont want one of those. The last decade has been bad enough and it isnt looking any better atm.

China built a hospital in 10 days and we instead sink billions into a hospital thats taking years. Calling that progress is just bollox
        I'm guessing the hospital in China is not built to the highest standards, nor filled with the best equipment. It's most likely a publicity stunt - and a good one - by a country with the resources of a billion people and an autocratic government that doesn't have to deal with lobby groups, protestors, or planning aurhorities.

I know where I would rather live.

3. Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I believe I have a grasp of FF grassroots too and from cumann level to councillors to TDs and senators, they know that partnership with SF is the kiss of death for them.

In with FG so. The Shinners will be happy with that.

4. Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Attacking them as they are isn't exactly doing it for them either.

As I said earlier, I was talking to a Councillor who is fuming with Martin, (a man he led around town shaking hands at an event a year ago) as he saw no reason for such a full on attack on issues that republicans have nuanced approaches to and opinions on. Blaming SF for the collapse of the Executive being a glaring one.

That makes sense to me about the FF I know.

5. Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

I'm guessing the hospital in China is not built to the highest standards, nor filled with the best equipment. It's most likely a publicity stunt - and a good one - by a country with the resources of a billion people and an autocratic government that doesn't have to deal with lobby groups, protestors, or planning aurhorities.

China built a hospital specifically to isolate those that either have the corana virus or show possible symptoms of having the virus.

As such it would need very limited facilities.
        It is what we would have called a fever hospital back in the day, more to protect the general public than to actually care for the poor souls that are in them.

In principal its a smart move, but I doubt the facilities in are very good, or the patients in it are getting top quality healthcare.

6. Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i think you've missed my point

7. Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Attacking them as they are isn't exactly doing it for them either.

As I said earlier, I was talking to a Councillor who is fuming with Martin, (a man he led around town shaking hands at an event a year ago) as he saw no reason for such a full on attack on issues that republicans have nuanced approaches to and opinions on. Blaming SF for the collapse of the Executive being a glaring one.

That makes sense to me about the FF I know.

Fair enough. The dyed in the wool Fianna Fáil supporters I know, realise that Sinn Fein are trying to eat their lunch and if they start breaking bread with them one of them is going to end up hungry.

8. Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

would you rather live in the opposite extreme ? ireland? talk about things for decades, make plans, change them? endless public consultations, crash comes, nothing built, planning permission on the scheme lapses. economy improves, scheme back on the table, start redesigning the wheel, 14 public consultations. Now like dublin metro, some parties, despite years of planning gone into it and about to apply for rail order, some parties want to tear up the plans again etc. Thats whay you prefer? :rolleyes:

the NCH, metro , M20 could have been built vastly cheaper during the recession and kept skilled workers here. See they didnt make "hard"long term decisions, they decided to tens of billions to keep welfare propped up and here we are :rolleyes: the chicken have come home to roost!

9. Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

McMurphy wrote: »
        Irish Water, Irish Water, Irish water.

That is all.

Exhibit B

SF supporters cannot stand by their policies or manifesto so engage in this type of stuff.

10. Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

China built a hospital specifically to isolate those that either have the corana virus or show possible symptoms of having the virus.

It is what we would have called a fever hospital back in the day, more to protect the general public than to actually care for the poor souls that are in them.

In principal its a smart move, but I doubt the facilities in are very good, or the patients in it are getting top quality healthcare.

now now, the irish state uses plenty of prefabs, many for school use! they have used these in non emergency situation and have done for decades and some have been in place decades, what their excuse?

not enough money due to spending billions on the NCH and now rural broadband? :rolleyes:

11. Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Idbatterim wrote: »
        would you rather live in the opposite extreme ? ireland? talk about things for decades, make plans, change them? endless public consultations, crash comes, nothing built, planning permission on the scheme lapses. economy improves, scheme back on the table, start redesigning the wheel, 14 public consultations. Now like dublin metro, some parties, despite years of planning gone into it and about to apply for rail order, some parties want to tear up the plans again etc. Thats whay you prefer? :rolleyes:

the NCH, metro , M20 could have been built vastly cheaper during the recession and kept skilled workers here. See they didnt make "hard"long term decisions, they decided to tens of billions to keep welfare propped up and here we are :rolleyes: the chicken have come home to roost!

never mind the fact that dublin is already congested, lets extend the road and spend squillions and bring more traffic in - rather than improve the public transport systems to, from and throughout Dublin

12. Advertisement
      13. Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

markodaly wrote: »
        Exhibit B

SF supporters cannot stand by their policies of manifesto so engage in this type of stuff.

All aboard the Derry-Sligo express!

14. Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SantaCruz

Yes, I would. Democracy is better than a dictatorship.

15. Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭square ball

Regardless it was started and finished within 8 days. It still shows how inept everyone in the children's hospital has been. How long it has taken and how far over budget it has been. Everyone involved in the project should be sacked and blacklisted from any public projects from the minister down.

Sinn Fein are proposing to build 100,000 homes at a cost of €6.5 billion. Can anyone explain to me how this could be possible in Ireland starting in 2020?

16. Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yes, I would. Democracy is better than a dictatorship.

yeah, irish democracy is unique though! it basically involves only talking and no action. This creates problems as you can imagine. Paralysis even!

17. Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

never mind the fact that dublin is already congested, lets extend the road and spend squillions and bring more traffic in - rather than improve the public transport systems to, from and throughout Dublin

these absolute morons here for decades , have spent an INSANE amount on road based transport and virtually nothing on rail! The new single dublin metro line, would take 100,000,000 passengers a year in the opening year! Hows that new enniscorthy bypass doing though? :rolleyes:

18. Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Regardless it was started and finished within 8 days. It still shows how inept everyone in the children's hospital has been. How long it has taken and how far over budget it has been. Everyone involved in the project should be sacked and blacklisted from any public projects from the minister down.

Sinn Fein are proposing to build 100,000 homes at a cost of €6.5 billion. Can anyone explain to me how this could be possible in Ireland starting in 2020?

I dont think anyone can answer that. in fact can anyone answer how any party can raise the money they're talking?

19. Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

But FG didnt listen to advice never mind protests and nobody was dangling a set of keys so Pascal wouldn't notice the massive over runs.
        What ever about standards in the Chinese one, most expensive in the world is some laugh...were it someone else paying

20. Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

these absolute morons here for decades , have spent an INSANE amount on road based transport and virtually nothing on rail! The new single dublin metro line, would take 100,000,000 passengers a year in the opening year! Hows that new enniscorthy bypass doing though? :rolleyes:

Dublin was too big 40 years ago and the power swap just kept on going and going.

21. Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Dublin was too big 40 years ago and the power swap just kept on going and going.

what? have you left this country? you think dublin is a big city?

22. Advertisement
      23. Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

To be fair to FF they did always spread work around the country, FG just lumbered everything into Cork and Dublin where the population was high and more constitutes , both cities especially Dublin is fit to bust now as a result

Advertisement