Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People like SF candidates but won't vote for SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I voted for FG and an independent, I wouldn't go any where near SF and I can't vote for FF with Timmy Dooley trying hard against NBP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    I voted for FG and an independent, I wouldn't go any where near SF and I can't vote for FF with Timmy Dooley trying hard against NBP.

Sure he'll just get another lad to buzz him in anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Good looking result for SF.
    A three way tie virtually on the opinion poll.
    The Young vote going the way of SF by a mile, change is, coming down the line big-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Those two fingers mean two: FG FF Coalition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Motion to close the thread.

People will vote SF, just as much as they will vote for anyone else. The Rubicon has been crossed.

Motion to close the thread.

People will vote SF, just as much as they will vote for anyone else. The Rubicon has been crossed.

Christ on a bike, wait till the votes are counted, you're not in power yet. :)

Christ on a bike, wait till the votes are counted, you're not in power yet. :)

Thread is not about them getting into power BoH. Just having a giggle. ;)

I realise people need these threads to vent.

I'm noticing the emphasis on RTE this morning is shifting to the question - 'can FF and FG rule out talking to SF anymore' in light of the exit poll's findings.

I'm noticing the emphasis on RTE this morning is shifting to the question - 'can FF and FG rule out talking to SF anymore' in light of the exit poll's findings.

Me too,
    The press and the main political parties are still in denial a bit.
    It's going to be an interesting day.

Me too,
    The press and the main political parties are still in denial a bit.
    It's going to be an interesting day.

36% put health as the most important consideration when voting and it hardly figured at all in the campaign.

The electorate have told the main two to shut up about SF more or less and to concentrate on the issues.

001392a9-614.jpg?ratio=1.79

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

36% put health as the most important consideration when voting and it hardly figured at all in the campaign.

The electorate have told the main two to shut up about SF more or less and to concentrate on the issues.

001392a9-614.jpg?ratio=1.79

Hard to read much into that stat, it could be taken almost all FFG supporters agree with the stance (45% v 46% of vote). Changing that stance could have lost more votes.

Isn't there pretty much cross party agreement on slainte care?

Still interesting day ahead, FF probably the most desperate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Hard to read much into that stat, it could be taken almost all FFG supporters agree with the stance (45% v 46% of vote). Changing that stance could have lost more votes.

I think we can read in it the reason for many of the problems the Irish feel they have in their country today ; Healthcare, Housing. That only 45% of those surveyed gave the correct answer to the poller shows how out of kilter their understanding of the country, economics, and government is. This leads to poor election of their representatives, and beyond that, poor general management of the countrey's affairs.

But the demographics of the vote age wise is very telling too, the taxpayer vote I'll call it.
    Housing and health combined probably the reason for the big swing to SF.
    Then the prospect of having to work till your late sixties before your pension.
    I'm not saying that SF are the answer to anyone's problems, in fact I think not by a long shot, but their message, let it be right or wrong, got through to that section of voters more than anyone else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

FG should now take a back seat in opposition and let FF and SF form a government somehow.

SF should get the high profile heath and housing portfolios and let them put big promises into action.
    It won’t last long I suspect and FG will be back in to fix the inevitable mess as they did with FF.

Bottom line is the SF mantra of change can’t be delivered from the opposition benches this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

Will rte and Denis be able to fit in a few anti sf items today? They willl have to dig deeper for the next election.

But the demographics of the vote age wise is very telling too, the taxpayer vote I'll call it.
    I'm not saying that SF are the answer to anyone's problems, in fact I think not by a long shot, but their message, let it be right or wrong, got through to that section of voters more than anyone else's.

Agree with you in general, they got the message right, no matter how realistic it was.

What was their health message though? Most of the parties were similar

omega man wrote: »
    FG should now take a back seat in opposition and let FF and SF form a government somehow.

SF should get the high profile heath and housing portfolios and let them put big promises into action.
    It won’t last long I suspect and FG will be back in to fix the inevitable mess as they did with FF.

Bottom line is the SF mantra of change can’t be delivered from the opposition benches this time around.
    Health is going to get worse, SF will impose high taxes on high earners, that category includes doctors "consultants anyway" they will leave the country or work less hours if they can't leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Agree with you in general, they got the message right, no matter how realistic it was.

What was their health message though? Most of the parties were similar
    Health is Slaintecare from now on, it's an all-party agreement.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Health is Slaintecare from now on, it's an all-party agreement.

Exactly, the largest issue for voters was almost a non issue party wise.

It's all about "change", which sounds familiar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Exactly, the largest issue for voters was almost a non issue party wise.

It's all about "change", which sounds familiar

Council housing is the biggest issue by a long long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭rob316

All the IRA stuff is pathetic lads, ye are missing the bigger picture. The established two are not the people's choice anymore, the country is divided. The younger generation see right through this fallacy that FF and FG are rivals. Voters didn't like Martin and Leo dismissal of SF, like they had some given right to govern.

It's a protest vote, people are fed up of the same policies.

It's a beautiful day for Ireland, we should embrace it, we no longer have a 2 party system.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I started it to try and understand why people were so reluctant for vote for SF! It seems like a huge amount of people have moved on from past and voted for them! But the exit poles may not be accurate.

Will be interesting to see if Leo and MM will be willing to go into government with them if they get the huge numbers being predicted. For FG to only get figures being suggested is probably quite a shock for them!

fergus1001 wrote: »
    voted for everyone bar FF FG need to send a message to these chancers

I think a lot of people did this. They didn’t even get lower preference votes on a lot of people’s votes. People are frustrated depending on their circumstances and age

The do relate to a lot of people very well the way they communicate ( most of the time). Mary Lou and Pearse Doherty are very good at relating to the difficulties a lot of people face that some of the other politicians just don’t seem to have any grasp of because it doesn’t affect them and probably never has , eg rental market, buying a house, high insurance costs and waiting lists for healthcare.

From what I can see a lot of the campaigns criticise multinationals , vulture funds, banks etc about how little tax they pay. They are then compared to the hardships lower or average income families are faced with and this makes people angry hence voting for them. I think a lot of people will vote for ANYONE but FF FG depending on what affects them

Council housing is the biggest issue by a long long way.

I think affordable housing is the biggest issue as opposed to council housing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

frillyleaf wrote:
    I think a lot of people did this. They didn’t even get lower preference votes on a lot of people’s votes. People are frustrated depending on their circumstances and age

in my instance I'm in a decent job yet cant afford a damn house

something needs to change

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Being honest I am pissed off that the last few days of the campaign are being dominated by 2 people I have never heard of (Conor Murphy and Paul Quinn).
    This country has so many major political problems and ye we are discussing NI politicians and forced apologies. Call me heartless but I couldn't give a fiddlers.

Looking at the exit poll it is clear that people did not care about this Paul Quinn story. FFG and RTE were stupid to keep harping on about it.
    People could see through it - FFG didn't give a fiddlers about Quinn or his family. They were just point scoring.
    FFG should instead have dissected the SF policies.

FFG won this election for SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭endainoz

No sign of Blanch? Must be having a rough day.

Looking at the exit poll it is clear that people did not care about this Paul Quinn story. FFG and RTE were stupid to keep harping on about it.
    People could see through it - FFG didn't give a fiddlers about Quinn or his family. They were just point scoring.
    FFG should instead have dissected the SF policies.

FFG won this election for SF.

People care. They just don't care for victim exploitation. It's significant that the only person I heard mentioning Paul Quinn today was O'Snodaigh.

And it is some slap in the face for Paul's family that Michael Martin is already rowing back from his pledge, so that he might be Taoiseach.

Will we see many threads about that I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It's a little bit scary how much SF TDs are using the word 'Change'. They are overdoing it now. We get it like.
    Doherty used the word 7 times in one question response earlier.

I don't like that coaching. It unnerves and patronises me. Think for yourselves SF TDs, the people of Ireland did not elect the Borg.

Advertisement