Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People like SF candidates but won't vote for SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

People care. They just don't care for victim exploitation.

Sure would you stop. They don't care about victims full stop.

There's some people still fighting the civil war that are voting for them for ideological reasons. Most people aren't nutters like this, but are just voting for whatever party they think will make them most financially better off. East Germans voting for AfD feeling abandoned by the CDU/CSU.
    It's a little bit scary how much SF TDs are using the word 'Change'. They are overdoing it now. We get it like.
    Doherty used the word 7 times in one question response earlier.

I don't like that coaching. It unnerves and patronises me. Think for yourselves SF TDs, the people of Ireland did not elect the Borg.

The biggest change they'll be itching for is for their Stormont MLPs to be counted in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They don't care about victims full stop.

We were being told stridently last week that they did care and that it would show today.

I think people care a lot about victims, always have. They are sick of them being used as political sticks.

Any comment on Michael now rowing back on his pledge and how Breege Quinn might be feeling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Sure would you stop. They don't care about victims full stop.

There's some people still fighting the civil war that are voting for them for ideological reasons. Most people aren't nutters like this, but are just voting for whatever party they think will make them most financially better off. East Germans voting for AfD feeling abandoned by the CDU/CSU.

The biggest change they'll be itching for is for their Stormont MLPs to be counted in the Dail.

'Nutters', the FG buzz word for election 2020.
    People care. You have to place urgency and importance to things. The quinn issue was used to the shame of the media while many had more pressing issues. That simple. Lets see all the faux outrage there is for the Quinns tomorrow......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

endainoz wrote: »
    No sign of Blanch? Must be having a rough day.

The Greens came up a few notches. Not great but an improvement. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

endainoz wrote: »
    No sign of Blanch? Must be having a rough day.
    Could be at a count somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

Told ye a few nights ago the rte hate campaign would backfire big time . The icing on the cake would be Miriam ruining her own brothers campaign plus giving thousands of votes on a plate to sf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭endainoz

People also said don't believe the polls, secret FG voters etc. All proven wrong, including this thread title. People aren't afraid to vote for SF anymore. Pity they didn't run a few more candidates to make a decent left coalition.

Couple posters have lost 'fair wedges' betting on SF getting less than 28 seats.

Far too many people silly enough to take betting odds as being a poll or prediction.

Betting odds are designed to part people from their wedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

People care. They just don't care for victim exploitation. It's significant that the only person I heard mentioning Paul Quinn today was O'Snodaigh.

And it is some slap in the face for Paul's family that Michael Martin is already rowing back from his pledge, so that he might be Taoiseach.

Will we see many threads about that I wonder?
    Yes, not mentioning that at all day. Murphy, the minister for tents, was still on about shadowy figures controlling SF. Still doesn't know when to stop with the lies, or worse, he believes it

We were being told stridently last week that they did care and that it would show today.

I never said this.
    I think people care a lot about victims, always have. They are sick of them being used as political sticks.

People who voted for Sinn Fein don't care about victims. It's in the past. Fine Gael and Fianna Fail emerged from conflicts too. You're only dragging this up because there's an election. That's all we heard from the Sinn Fein bandwagon.

I knew that people didn't care about victims when Gerry Adams topped the poll in Louth two elections ago. Didn't care about him protecting a rapist, didn't care about who he may have murdered, didn't care about him constantly lying about being in the IRA. He topped the poll there, and stood in the Dail, an institution he had previously disavowed.

After that all bets were off.
    Any comment on Michael now rowing back on his pledge

I don't. I don't bat for Fianna Fail, nor Fine Gael. I don't have any party to back. I hoped that a decent party would emerge, but it looks like I'll have to wait some more.
    and how Breege Quinn might be feeling?

I'd say she's just hoping that she will get answers. That she will get the names of the IRA members talked to by Sinn Fein, and some leads in relation to the murder of her son. Sinn Fein was never going to do that anyway, but they'll feel particularly vindicated by their performance today.

I wonder if the IRA will feel bouyed as well? You probably say they don't exist, but they tried to let off a truck bomb in England last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

I never said this.

People who voted for Sinn Fein don't care about victims. It's in the past. Fine Gael and Fianna Fail emerged from conflicts too. You're only dragging this up because there's an election. That's all we heard from the Sinn Fein bandwagon.

I knew that people didn't care about victims when Gerry Adams topped the poll in Louth two elections ago. Didn't care about him protecting a rapist, didn't care about who he may have murdered, didn't care about him constantly lying about being in the IRA. He topped the poll there, and stood in the Dail, an institution he had previously disavowed.

I don't. I don't bat for Fianna Fail, nor Fine Gael. I don't have any party to back. I hoped that a decent party would emerge, but it looks like I'll have to wait some more.

I'd say she's just hoping that she will get answers. That she will get the names of the IRA members talked to by Sinn Fein, and some leads in relation to the murder of her son. Sinn Fein was never going to do that anyway, but they'll feel particularly vindicated by their performance today.

I wonder if the IRA will feel bouyed as well? You probably say they don't exist, but they tried to let off a truck bomb in England last week.

Such bitterness and lies

I never said this.

Jesus, you don't even know the difference.
    The people who tried to let off the 'truck bomb' would cheerfully wipe out SF.

And I never said 'you' said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Sf not running second candidates in many constituencies was a serious mistake. They won by a bloody landslide in many !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Sf not running second candidates in many constituencies was a serious mistake. They won by a bloody landslide in many !!!

After the Council and European elections they probably couldn’t take the chance.

After the Council and European elections they probably couldn’t take the chance.

God I wouldn’t blame them for not seeing the surge coming. But if this results in ffg again, when it could have been different. I’ll be sick. I don’t think ffg is acceptable, not with the landslide many sf candidates won by

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

rob316 wrote: »
    All the IRA stuff is pathetic lads, ye are missing the bigger picture. The established two are not the people's choice anymore, the country is divided. The younger generation see right through this fallacy that FF and FG are rivals. Voters didn't like Martin and Leo dismissal of SF, like they had some given right to govern.

It's a protest vote, people are fed up of the same policies.

It's a beautiful day for Ireland, we should embrace it, we no longer have a 2 party system.

Brexit was a protest vote too, look at the unmitigated disaster that it. The UK are already in recession.

I’m happy with another ejection. Sf more run candidates and win the most seats. Ffg is absolutely unacceptable. Given the landslide sf win many seats in , where they could have won two. By running Donald trump in many constituencies!

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Brexit was a protest vote too, look at the unmitigated disaster that it. The UK are already in recession.

Brexit is the result of the establishment not listening to many of the moderate voices , they are totally drowned out. And then get disillusioned and vote elsewhere. Sound familiar to here ?

Every time somebody loses an election or a majority now the choice of those who win will be compared to 'Brexit'.

Mealy mouthed and arrogant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Best thing about today is observing a lot of people having a little melt down

• Advertisement

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Such bitterness and lies

Yes, that was how they described Maria Cahill.
    Best thing about today is observing a lot of people having a little melt down

Was more amusing when it was another country like the US after Trump being elected.

DRAIN THE SWAMP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

God I wouldn’t blame them for not seeing the surge coming. But if this results in ffg again, when it could have been different. I’ll be sick. I don’t think ffg is acceptable, not with the landslide many sf candidates won by

You can't rewrite the rules after the election! It's seats that count towards forming a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I’m happy with another ejection. Sf more run candidates and win the most seats. Ffg is absolutely unacceptable. Given the landslide sf win many seats in , where they could have won two. By running Donald trump in many constituencies!

Your ever changing stance continues to baffle me .......

You hate/love FG

You hate social housing and think the dole is excessive and want SF elected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

SF didn't beat Lowry in Tipp! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

SF didn't beat Lowry in Tipp! :)

In the battle between cute whore and idealist its seldom the latter has the last laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tipperary's a lost cause. Michael Lowry and Mattie McGrath. Jeebus wept.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Yes, that was how they described Maria Cahill.

Was more amusing when it was another country like the US after Trump being elected.

DRAIN THE SWAMP.

Coz trump didn’t win the popular vote:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Indeed. More support for SF only started very shortly before this election.

My ideal outcome would be a re-election, but I don't think that would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Who are the 5 SF candidates that didn't get elected, I can think of 4 that are already definitely not elected but I can't think of who the last one is and what constituency..?

The 4 I can think of are:

Shane O'Brien Dun Laoighre (got 48% of the quota in 1st preference votes but was not transfer friendly),

Sorcha Nic Cormaic in Dublin Rathdown (46% of quota in 1st preference votes but again not transfer friendly enough),

Louis O'Hara in Galway East (only lost out on a seat by 337 votes) and

Seighin O Ceallaigh in Limerick County (last out in the last count with transfers from FG going to an Independent over SF)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

mystic86 wrote: »
    Who are the 5 SF candidates that didn't get elected, I can think of 4 that are already definitely not elected but I can't think of who the last one is and what constituency..?

The 4 I can think of are:

Shane O'Brien Dun Laoighre (got 48% of the quota in 1st preference votes but was not transfer friendly),

Sorcha Nic Cormaic in Dublin Rathdown (46% of quota in 1st preference votes but again not transfer friendly enough),

Louis O'Hara in Galway East (only lost out on a seat by 337 votes) and

Seighin O Ceallaigh in Limerick County (last out in the last count with transfers from FG going to an Independent over SF)

Figured it out, the last one is Paul Hayes in Cork South West..

Advertisement