Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People like SF candidates but won't vote for SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

endainoz wrote: »
    No sign of Blanch? Must be having a rough day.
    is_that_so wrote: »
    Could be at a count somewhere.

Mixed feelings.

Delighted to see the Greens do so well, especially with a local Green getting elected in Dublin West.

On the other side, my €20 at 12/1 for a FF/SF government isn't looking so good, as they won't have the numbers. FF let the side down there and the Greens will probably be needed to make up the numbers, so probably won't pay out on my bet.

As a spectator sport, would love to see Mary-Lou make a go of everyone except FF and FG just for the car crash spectacle, but I don't think they will get Labour and the Greens on board for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

mystic86 wrote: »
    Who are the 5 SF candidates that didn't get elected, I can think of 4 that are already definitely not elected but I can't think of who the last one is and what constituency..?

The 4 I can think of are:

Shane O'Brien Dun Laoighre (got 48% of the quota in 1st preference votes but was not transfer friendly),

Sorcha Nic Cormaic in Dublin Rathdown (46% of quota in 1st preference votes but again not transfer friendly enough),

Louis O'Hara in Galway East (only lost out on a seat by 337 votes) and

Seighin O Ceallaigh in Limerick County (last out in the last count with transfers from FG going to an Independent over SF)

What was interesting in the voting is no SF candidate that was elected failed to get a quota and most were elected in the first two counts.
    What ever way you look at it that's an unbelievable result for any party.

Does anyone know if its still possible for FF to end up with more seats than SF?

To be honest I was expecting for FF to be way ahead on seats at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Very embarrassing for SF with newly elected candidates being filmed “up the RA”. I admire Mary Lou and her hopes for change but people behaving like this is not acceptable and is surly a huge embarrassment for her after winning so many seats!

I know she had to defend terminology before but a TD shouting “ Up the RA” is the height of stupidity. I wonder will he face disciplinary action over this. How can people be so stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Sure he'll just get another lad to buzz him in anyway :)
    Nope Timmy Dooley is kicked out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Very embarrassing for SF with newly elected candidates being filmed “up the RA”. I admire Mary Lou and her hopes for change but people behaving like this is not acceptable and is surly a huge embarrassment for her after winning so many seats!

I know she had to defend terminology before but a TD shouting “ Up the RA” is the height of stupidity. I wonder will he face disciplinary action over this. How can people be so stupid

He was on the radio earlier trying to defend his stupidly.

Its shocking, usually when some people get high on power or the prospect of power they're true colors come out.

I thought those days of being hard or militant was over, sadly this dude ruined it.

He should have said nothing and cheered or been delighted with his achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

That is the tip of the iceberg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

not at all, it will be forgotten about quickly i would expect.
    it's just respecting our country's history and recognising the sacrifices made to build it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Very foolish too.

If there is another election that clip will be played over and over again.

Could lose them a lot of votes. I may disagree with people who voted for Sinn Féin but I am 100% certain that a good chunk of that vote will be angry at the notion of these TDs linking their votes with support for the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

it's just respecting our country's history and recognising the sacrifices made to build it.

The IRA did nothing for the Republic except rob banks, swindle revenue by smuggling, take hostages, shoot gardai, dole out punishment beatings and hold their own kangaroo courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭endainoz

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    The IRA did nothing for the Republic except rob banks, swindle revenue by smuggling, take hostages, shoot gardai, dole out punishment beatings and hold their own kangaroo courts.

They did, and it should all stay in the past. Nobody wants to see the IRA back to the way things were.

The country has gone left, the vote clearly shows that. I think Sinn Fein should be judged on what they do from now on. They have the ball, now let's see if they run with it.

There are plenty that want them to fail, sure. Let's see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

They did, and it should all stay in the past. Nobody wants to see the IRA back to the way things were.

The country has gone left, the vote clearly shows that. I think Sinn Fein should be judged on what they do from now on. They have the ball, now let's see if they run with it.

What worries me is how many of them might have skeletons in the closet that would make them very easy to manipulate.

I don’t think so. Mary Lou must be furious. I like Mary Lou and I wonder how she can come so far and let someone drag them down to this level after all the hard work the put in to be elected . To get this far and have a candidate behave so foolishly is beyond belief . They should really sit down and trawl through Facebook accounts etc to make sure there is none of this “up the ra” nonsense on any of the TD pages. These people are expected to represent our country not behave like thugs after a few too many drinks on a night out!

Whether people voted for Sinn Fein or not is their choice. I do think SF should be judged on what they do from now on and imo it is completely unacceptable for a TD to be celebrating and shouting “up the RA”. ANYTHING that shows any support of a terrorist group should not be acceptable no matter what the context was.

I say there are a lot of people shaking their heads tonight regretting giving them their first preference if this is a taste of what lies ahead. I hate to say this but I can understand why Leo will not go into government with SF if this is how their candidates are behaving. It is too much of a liability being associated with people who behave in this manner on such a sensitive topic.

I don’t want them to fail. I don’t hold any grudges towards them but when representing a country you have to behave in a certain way

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Whether people voted for Sinn Fein or not is their choice. I do think SF should be judged on what they do from now on and imo it is completely unacceptable for a TD to be celebrating and shouting “up the RA”. ANYTHING that shows any support of a terrorist group should not be acceptable no matter what the context was.

I say there are a lot of people shaking their heads tonight regretting giving them their first preference if this is a taste of what lies ahead. I hate to say this but I can understand why Leo will not go into government with SF if this is how their candidates are behaving. It is too much of a liability being associated with people who behave in this manner on such a sensitive topic.

I don’t want them to fail. I don’t hold any grudges towards them but when representing a country you have to behave in a certain way

On Brexit the ONLY reason the EU stood by Ireland's case was because the last government convinced them that there was a threat to peace.

Could you imagine if SF were coalition partners during that and made it be known with such stupidity that this was actually about a land grab and a united Ireland!?

The EU would have dumped us on the side of the road and rightly so.

That's the risk with incompetents like that.

They don't think before they speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

On Brexit the ONLY reason the EU stood by Ireland's case was because the last government convinced them that there was a threat to peace.

Could you imagine if SF were coalition partners during that and made it be known with such stupidity that this was actually about a land grab and a united Ireland!?

Any links there or are they just assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

efanton wrote: »
    What was interesting in the voting is no SF candidate that was elected failed to get a quota and most were elected in the first two counts.

Does anyone know if its still possible for FF to end up with more seats than SF?

Sorcha's number 2s elected two F.G.s

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They don't think before they speak.

What???????

SF were talking to EU from the get go about what was needed. And the EU responded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

efanton wrote: »

Unbelievable is right , in our area we lost a junior minister and a front bench ff to a shinner that doesn’t work has 5 kids - brilliant we’re dead proud of our self this is how u straighten out a country!
    Elect people that are used of getting everything free to make the working class build more free houses , free medical no trolleys anymore such a simple solution that has taken until now to come up with !

Unbelievable is right , in our area we lost a junior minister and a front bench ff to a shinner that doesn’t work has 5 kids - brilliant we’re dead proud of our self this is how u straighten out a country!
    Elect people that are used of getting everything free to make the working class build more free houses , free medical no trolleys anymore such a simple solution that has taken until now to come up with !

That same junior minister shot himself in the foot with votegate and was overtaken by another FF candidate who stood up for what he believed in. She has a husband that works ya know. A stay at home mother in Ireland? What has the world come to?

What constituency are you in ?

• Advertisement

What constituency are you in ?

He's on about Clare

That same junior minister shot himself in the foot with votegate and was overtaken by another FF candidate who stood up for what he believed in. She has a husband that works ya know. A stay at home mother in Ireland? What has the world come to?

Works really ! They might pay there rent so 12 k was last we heard that was owed!

Kids going to school 15 km from her town bus picking them up !
    I’ve plenty more to say before I’m finished too !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

"The awfulness of it is something that should never be forgotten." - Seamus Mallon.

It's a bit inconsistent to insist that 1969-1997 be forgotten while 1916-1923 etc must be remembered.

Works really ! They might pay there rent so 12 k was last we heard that was owed!

Kids going to school 15 km from her town bus picking them up !
    I’ve plenty more to say before I’m finished too !

Ah yes an Irish daily mail article, such a reputable source. She still topped the poll though, didn't bother many people it seems. You seem to know an awful lot about her, are yourself and Timmy drowning your sorrows in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Very foolish too.

Could lose them a lot of votes. I may disagree with people who voted for Sinn Féin but I am 100% certain that a good chunk of that vote will be angry at the notion of these TDs linking their votes with support for the IRA.

You must have missed the wall to wall anti IRA propaganda that went on 24/7 for almost a month.

Tell me it damaged Sinn Fein, tell me the people who voted for them probably weren't aware of it.

The man should have had a bit of cop on and not been shouting it in public, but the electorate being played that clip over and over again will once again work in SFs favour.

I for one would be up for it. Some people never learn.

Ah yes an Irish daily mail article, such a reputable source. She still topped the poll though, didn't bother many people it seems. You seem to know an awful lot about her, are yourself and Timmy drowning your sorrows in town?

I’d say will be well able to get a fix for any problems u have !
    Time will tell! She’ll probably be good to fight for Mary cash knows all the rules, after that mmmm !
    Mary Lou what’s gdp oh u better ask Pearce in yer next lesson running ireland for beginners !

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Very foolish too.

i wouldn't bank on it.
    the candidates know well the vote for sf is not a vote in support of the ira, and i would expect all voters know the tds know that the people know that to be the case.
    MoonUnit75 wrote: »

they liberated the catholic/nationalist community of northern ireland from oppression.
    as i recognise north and south as one, as far as i'm concerned that is service to the republic.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭riddles

When faced with the tough choices of go government in the north SF collapsed the assembly and very happy to get direct rule from Downing Street rather than show leadership. As Labour showed when they went into Government here the politics of protest is the easy part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The context of Come out Ye Black and Tans during this election is clearly a (pretty juvenile) reference to Charlie Flanagan's recent attempted commemoration.

The song doesn't make reference to the Provos at all.

It is quite normal for people to celebrate and remember their country gaining independence from a coloniser. Across the world, from the US to India, it is perfectly normal to celebrate this, often through song.

While chanting, 'ooh ah up the RA' certainly isn't the kind of statesman like conduct I would expect from my government, the amount of Helen Lovejoy-esque hand wringing is fairly pathetic, never mind the hypocrisy of many who were happy to attend centenary celebrations across the country.

Or maybe, just maybe it is just any excuse to throw mud at SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    The context of Come out Ye Black and Tans during this election is clearly a (pretty juvenile) reference to Charlie Flanagan's recent attempted commemoration.

The song doesn't make reference to the Provos at all.

It is quite normal for people to celebrate and remember their country gaining independence from a coloniser. Across the world, from the US to India, it is perfectly normal to celebrate this, often through song.

While chanting, 'ooh ah up the RA' certainly isn't the kind of statesman like conduct I would expect from my government, the amount of Helen Lovejoy-esque hand wringing is fairly pathetic, never mind the hypocrisy of many who were happy to attend centenary celebrations across the country.

Or maybe, just maybe it is just any excuse to throw mud at SF.

This is SF throwing mud at themselves.

Advertisement