Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People like SF candidates but won't vote for SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

So'R just had a discussion on the formation of a government with several TD's from other parties.

This incident or one's like it, didn't feature in the slightest.
    The conversation was all about political survival and preferred governments.

What would be your preferred government, Francis, as a first time SF voter? A realistic one now. Not that auld shïte about a broad coalition of the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

seamus wrote: »
    Media: "Sinn Fein have links with the IRA"

Voters: "We know. But let's leave the past behind, everyone has a past"

Cullinane: "Up the RA"

Voters:

LEO; We abhor violence to achieve political aims.

MEDIA: but Leo you are standing under a painting of Michael Collins

LEO; Yeh, but that was in the past.

MEDIA:
    621px-Surprised_Pikachu_HD.jpg

What would be your preferred government, Francis, as a first time SF voter? A realistic one now. Not that auld shïte about a broad coalition of the left.

I don't think a left government is possible this time.

I think I would like to see a FG/FF and one other - government this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Just wondering, if SF manage to put together a ‘left-leaning’ government consisting of all the left politicians and parties who have made their names by protesting against the ‘establishment’ parties, who will now do the protesting?
    Do SF realise that they are now the establishment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Doth mine eyes deceive me?

Only a week ago you were positively glowing with the idea of FG being kicked into the opposition benches. What’s changed? There isn’t a sneaky hint of blue in you, Francie?

• Advertisement

Doth mine eyes deceive me?

Only a week ago you were positively glowing with the idea of FG being kicked into the opposition benches. What’s changed? There isn’t a sneaky hint of blue in you, Francie?

It's a bit like 'grounding the ball just before the try line', Johnny.

I gave SF my vote this time because I recognised a chance to end the duopoly that has hampered this state for 100 years.

We came tantalising close. I don't think MLMD will be able to put together and alliance of the left this time.

So my preferred option is for FF/FG to form a government to complete the duopoly hari kari.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's a bit like 'grounding the ball just before the try line', Johnny.

I gave SF my vote this time because I recognised a chance to end the duopoly that has hampered this state for 100 years.

We came tantalising close. I don't think MLMD will be able to put together and alliance of the left this time.

So my preferred option is for FF/FG to form a government to complete the duopoly hari kari.

So you want Sinn Fein to continue in the role of hurler on the ditch.

To be fair, I think that was Sinn Fein's plan all along, until they got the results. Nothing like being called up to the senior hurling panel to see what people are made of.

I won't be in the least bit surprised if Sinn Fein do run away from the challenge.

blanch152 wrote: »
    So you want Sinn Fein to continue in the role of hurler on the ditch.

I don't want them to do a Green or Labour rush to the comfy seats, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Anybody gonna tell us what this 'slipped mask' revealed that we didn't already know?

Well then have a few more TDs going in to pubs and shouting 'Up the ra" and you'll find out just how quick SF will be back on their arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

We heard all this in the lead up to the election. Are you STILL in denial about what happened?

Nobody is under any illusion about SF's past. 24.5% of the electorate have said they are not concerned about that past affecting the present or the future.

Present company excluded, obviously.

• Advertisement

I don't want them to do a Green or Labour rush to the comfy seats, no.

The comfy seats are in the opposition Francie, spectating from the sidelines, shouting criticism at the players.

If you are really up for it, you take to the field. Lots of great players in their own mind never made it out of the pub.

The comfy seats are in the opposition Francie, spectating from the sidelines, shouting criticism at the players.

If you are really up for it, you take to the field. Lots of great players in their own mind never made it out of the pub.

In my idea of a functioning democracy, opposition is a hugely responsible place to be, and an onerous duty.

You have to brave enough to 'call it as you see it' without fear or favour.

Going into government with no serious intention of standing up for those who voted for you is the easiest thing in the world to do. All you ahve to do is think up excuses.

But those 'excuses' invariably don't wash with your electorate when you go back to them. Witness the many wipeouts of parties who do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Floppybits

No chance of this happening, if it did it would see one or both of them being consigned to history. It would be most logical one to provide a stable government, it will also play into SF hands as well as they can say look it is the establishment locking us out again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    How dare that house wife from Clare seek to better herself and represent other folk in a similar boat! Does she not know her place!

I swear some people have no self awareness, jesus wept

She’s a Mary cash , don’t insult the housewife’s of Ireland!

Floppybits wrote: »
    No chance of this happening, if it did it would see one or both of them being consigned to history. It would be most logical one to provide a stable government, it will also play into SF hands as well as they can say look it is the establishment locking us out again.

So that would be an example of two parties being afraid of government and putting party before country.

So that would be an example of two parties being afraid of government and putting party before country.

Let's be clear, this time around Mary-Lou has said she wants to form a government without FF and FG. Off she goes.

Let's be clear, this time around Mary-Lou has said she wants to form a government without FF and FG. Off she goes.

And we also have FG and FF saying that they would not form a government with SF. So off they go.

And if she fails, then it is up to others. There are options.

And we also have FG and FF saying that they would not form a government with SF. So off they go.

FF are not saying that. They will talk to everyone.

FG are saying that they will talk to everyone except SF, but that they lost the election.

FG are saying that they will talk to everyone except SF, but that they lost the election.

There you go then.
    No need to worry about another election so. Plenty of options.

• Advertisement

Michael Martin said during the election that he will not form a government with SF. Only yesterday Jim O'Callaghan has said he would not go into government with SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭riddles

Michael Martin said during the election that he will not form a government with SF. Only yesterday Jim O'Callaghan has said he would not go into government with SF.

so will this mean if M Martin decides to proceed it will lead to a raft of resignations of FF TD's who will be looking at their prospects in the election.

Micheal Martin has said since the election that he will talk to Sinn Fein, so that has changed.

Only yesterday, Jim O'Callaghan was not the leader of Fianna Fail.

riddles wrote: »
    so will this mean if M Martin decides to proceed it will lead to a raft of resignations of FF TD's who will be looking at their prospects in the election.

not a chance, they will jump at the chance of power.

O'cuiv has said that they only possible stable government requires FF and SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

blatant liars then considering their pre election spouting

maccored wrote: »

Yes, but let's see what happens. Sinn Fein will end up walking away from around 60% of their manifesto, does that make them liars?

Yes, but let's see what happens. Sinn Fein will end up walking away from around 60% of their manifesto, does that make them liars?

Manifesto's might have some standing had not FF and FG thrashed their integrity since Independence.

They are sales brochures blanch nothing more, and if you make political choices based on them...more fool you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Politicians liars ? Never ......

Yes, and the cynical might say that FG have adopted their position to primarily pressure FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Manifesto's might have some standing had not FF and FG thrashed their integrity since Independence.

They are sales brochures blanch nothing more, and if you make political choices based on them...more fool you.
    Wow, Francie. The count isn't even 24 hours finished and you're the second Sinn Féiner to say "Ah sure, the manifesto is just a suggestion, it's not supposed to be taken as gospel, it's just what you do during an election".

That is some about-face.

Next you're going to tell us that actually health can't be fixed and there's no way to build 100,000 homes in five years.

But apparently it's all FF & FG's fault that Sinn Féin's manifesto is, according to you "a sales brochure" .

Whatever credibilty you had ... fncking hell man.

Advertisement