Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People like SF candidates but won't vote for SF

Options
1828384858688»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

seamus wrote: »
    Wow, Francie. The count isn't even 24 hours finished and you're the second Sinn Féiner to say "Ah sure, the manifesto is just a suggestion, it's not supposed to be taken as gospel, it's just what you do during an election".

That is some about-face.

Next you're going to tell us that actually health can't be fixed and there's no way to build 100,000 homes in five years.

I've being saying it since the campaign started Seamus...check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

I've being saying it since the campaign started Seamus...check it out.

Let's say you build apartment buildings with 10 stories (not uncommon at all in most non-Dublin european cities). 10 apartments per story, so 100 per building.

You'd have to build 1000 of such buildings, spread out all over Ireland. Most of them in Dublin and Dublin suburbs.

It's not impossible but it will be impossible if they build single family homes.

Not all of these homes have to be actually built, currently empty buildings can be renovated to become fit for housing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Manifesto's might have some standing had not FF and FG thrashed their integrity since Independence.

They are sales brochures blanch nothing more, and if you make political choices based on them...more fool you.

Francie are you telling me that my daughters house is not going to be built??? Plus, I’ve already spent the money I’m going to save on LPT and and USC on a weekend in Amsterdam?!? Surely your not telling me that Eoin O Broin is a liar??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If you knew my post history you would know that I am delighted FFG took a beating and that we have broken their cartel.
    I didn't vote for SF but I have no issue with people that did. I am also delighted people chose SDs and Greens.

However getting 24% and keeping 24% are two different things. Look back at the local elections to see how fickle that vote is.
    Stunts like Cullinane could well trigger a 2nd election very soon. SF needs to mature pretty damn quickly to avoid that.

Certainly I think that if a Government cannot be formed in this round and a 2nd election is called you can be absolutely certain that the clip of Cullinane along with that of Eoin O'Broin this morning talking about needed to run the "program for Government past the Ard Comhairle first" will be on every possible communication channel 24/7.

What are the 2 of the big things people (rightly or wrongly) accuse SF of ?

Association with the IRA and being "answerable to a hidden Northern Cabal"

Less than 24 hours after a stunning Electoral surge , they hand their detractors clear and simple sound bites supporting both those viewpoints..very poor and no doubt MLM et al are rightly displeased.

Plenty of people might argue that both of the above are things we "know already" about SF , but both provide absolutely unnecessary ammunition to opposition. SF leadership should rightly be very displeased.

Played correctly those kinds of things could sharply bite into the Protest vote element of the SF surge.

Yes, it's very much a "Red's under the bed" kind of thing , but if this election has shown anything it's that the electorate can be swung by sound-bites.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

machaseh wrote: »
    Let's say you build apartment buildings with 10 stories (not uncommon at all in most non-Dublin european cities). 10 apartments per story, so 100 per building.

You'd have to build 1000 of such buildings, spread out all over Ireland. Most of them in Dublin and Dublin suburbs.

It's not impossible but it will be impossible if they build single family homes.

Not all of these homes have to be actually built, currently empty buildings can be renovated to become fit for housing too.

The Majority of which are now being torn down because they turn into ghettos.

Building "homes" is a lot harder than building "houses" - They have to be in the right place , with the right mix of properties and infrastructure etc. etc.

Not saying it can't or shouldn't be fixed , but it's just not realistic to suggest that a government can build 100k homes with all the ancillary element in 5 years and not have them turn into absolute dumps in a decade.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    Francie are you telling me that my daughters house is not going to be built??? Plus, I’ve already spent the money I’m going to save on LPT and and USC on a weekend in Amsterdam?!? Surely your not telling me that Eoin O Broin is a liar??

I'm telling you, that if you pick your TD based on 'manifesto's' you are a fool. Nobody has ever fulfilled their manifesto commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

im not a shinner by any stretch of the imagination but seeing all the anti shinners including INM and RTE loose their colective **** brings me much joy

UH AH UP DE RA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Certainly I think that if a Government cannot be formed in this round and a 2nd election is called you can be absolutely certain that the clip of Cullinane along with that of Eoin O'Broin this morning talking about needed to run the "program for Government past the Ard Comhairle first" will be on every possible communication channel 24/7.

What are the 2 of the big things people (rightly or wrongly) accuse SF of ?

Association with the IRA and being "answerable to a hidden Northern Cabal"

Less than 24 hours after a stunning Electoral surge , they hand their detractors clear and simple sound bites supporting both those viewpoints..very poor and no doubt MLM et al are rightly displeased.

Plenty of people might argue that both of the above are things we "know already" about SF , but both provide absolutely unnecessary ammunition to opposition. SF leadership should rightly be very displeased.

Played correctly those kinds of things could sharply bite into the Protest vote element of the SF surge.

Yes, it's very much a "Red's under the bed" kind of thing , but if this election has shown anything it's that the electorate can be swung by sound-bites.

Social Media was a very big thing for SF in leadup to election. Every time i went on Facebook it was full of SF sticking the boot into FF/FG and adds saying how they would fix everything and time for change etc. I believe that was where they got there votes from and for people who knew no better it look great and it seemed to get a movement going.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The Majority of which are now being torn down because they turn into ghettos.

Building "homes" is a lot harder than building "houses" - They have to be in the right place , with the right mix of properties and infrastructure etc. etc.

Not saying it can't or shouldn't be fixed , but it's just not realistic to suggest that a government can build 100k homes with all the ancillary element in 5 years and not have them turn into absolute dumps in a decade.

I well remember Frank McDonald warning in the 80's that we were building the slums of the future.

I remember because a friend of mine took me to one of them on the Quays to advise him about buying one, as I was in the construction business. I told him to buy a pair of Reeboks instead and run as fast as he could. He bought a 3 bedroom house in Crumlin instead and lived happily ever after. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I'm telling you, that if you pick your TD based on 'manifesto's' you are a fool. Nobody has ever fulfilled their manifesto commitments.

Francie you do realise that the 20000 first preference votes were not votes for a united Ireland , they were votes for housing and tax cuts for the low paid etc?

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    Social Media was a very big thing for SF in leadup to election. Every time i went on Facebook it was full of SF sticking the boot into FF/FG and adds saying how they would fix everything and time for change etc. I believe that was where they got there votes from and for people who knew no better it look great and it seemed to get a movement going.

Absolutely - Talking to my College student son and some of his friends they all talked about the deluge of SF marketing across the various Social media platforms.

Stuff like this just gives easy opportunities to the opposition to score points..

splinter65 wrote: »
    Francie you do realise that the 20000 first preference votes were not votes for a united Ireland , they were votes for housing and tax cuts for the low paid etc?

??

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

This lovely, this is f****ing lovely

The Irish spring flowers are blooming

And getting better every day

https://twitter.com/i/status/1226565190549942272

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    This lovely, this is f****ing lovely

The Irish spring flowers are blooming

And getting better every day

https://twitter.com/i/status/1226565190549942272

Wrong thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

FYI:
    Election 2020: Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael spend most on Facebook advertising

Two parties spent over €31,000 each in past week, with Labour third, Sinn Féin fourth

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/election-2020-fianna-f%C3%A1il-fine-gael-spend-most-on-facebook-advertising-1.4163078

Better use, targeting maybe or a message people preferred and policies they liked?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Not possible for SF to implement their radical policy's joined up with either FF/FG on the numbers.

FF and FG are basically the same and should have no problem carving up a government between them and if they don't lets go back to the people for a clear mandate for one party.

Lets see who's spooked then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Wrong thread?

That’s right francie wrong thread should be more like this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Tell me this.were you angry when Leo called the consultants and pathologists in Waterford hospital liars about the story of dead bodies on trolleys leaking in the hallways?only to be proven wrong?

https://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-waterford-mortuary-4619147-May2019/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

smurgen wrote: »
    Tell me this.were you angry when Leo called the consultants and pathologists in Waterford hospital liars about the story of dead bodies on trolleys leaking in the hallways?only to be proven wrong?

https://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-waterford-mortuary-4619147-May2019/

Another nasty characteristic of Varadkar's FG was getting snotty and rude when questioned. At least Kenny was comedy gold with his stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

She met her husband when he was in prison :eek::eek:

Are there any links about not paying rent for four years?

Looks like Leo held back a lot on what he could have said about SF :(

• Advertisement

Didn't figure out the old swing trick clearly. Or how to get a bung for planning favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Lovely response had it been in any way related to the post you were responding to.

Would you like to respond again with something a little bit more relevant to the post you are responding to, or are you limited by the number of links you have saved, or by you ability to actually post anything that is intelligent.

Do you know why FG were relegated to 3rd place, and their Taoiseach have to wait for 5 counts to get elected. Silly little sound bites irrelevant to the question had a lot to do with it.

Advertisement