Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Nuphor

Liked dealing with Airwire before when setting up a family member with an FTTH order recently via the eir rural FTTH rollout. Wondered if they'd expressed any public interest in being an NBI provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Nuphor wrote: »
    Liked dealing with Airwire before when setting up a family member with an FTTH order recently via the eir rural FTTH rollout. Wondered if they'd expressed any public interest in being an NBI provider?

Apparently so:
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2021-01-27/71//#spk_280
    I am advised that currently there are a total of 30 service providers who have signed the NBI Reference offer out of a total of 34 Retail Service Providers (RSPs) who intend to sell on the NBI network. This is all part of the NBI on-boarding process for service providers so that they can sell high speed broadband to the consumer (residential and business). I understand that the larger RSPs will be involved nationwide and some smaller RSPs have expressed local interest. The RSPs who have expressed nationwide interest and who have signed up with NBI to-date are:

Eir retail

Sky

Vodafone

Imagine

Viatel

Airspeed

Three

BT

Digiweb

Pure Telecom

IFA Telecom

Magnet Networks

Regional Broadband

IMS

Ripplecom

Airwire

Blacknight Solutions

HiSpeed

HEAnet

I am advised that NBI are working with RSPs who are specifically focused on a regional basis, such as Ivertec Ltd., who have signed up with NBI and are a regional RSP in Kerry. I understand that there are some other regional RSPs bordering Kerry who have also signed up with NBI such as Digital Forge, BBnet and Nova telecom.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Nuphor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

Imagine are on the list ha

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

BArra wrote: »
    Imagine are on the list ha

I did notice that. If you can't beat them, join them. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

Eir arent reselling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

"Atlantec Computers" would want to throw an artist a few quid to design a new logo - looks like something from Geocities back in the day.

I've just had a couple of NBI surveyors go past our house measuring poles and recording the details. So now we're officially surveyed. It's completely meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but it's nice to know it's done. :)

I'd be somewhat hopeful of a connection in 2022, although we're still down as survey planned, with an estimated time range of January-December 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dceng2

Had the trees and hedgerows trimmed along the lines here in East Kerry today, between Killarney and Rathmore on a rural road. Spotted an NBI van about during the trimming also. Thing is our Eircode on the NBI website gives an estimated date of January - March 2023 (Rollout in Rathmore DA) while our townland is also listed as Network Build in Progress August - October 2021 (Killarney DA).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

danny004 wrote: »
    Eir arent reselling though.

Why would anyone go with EIR on the NBI? :confused: it would be like buying a jackass and cart to travel on the Motorway? I have spent 10 months of a tussle with EIR and ComReg trying to get my landline reconnected. I had three cancelled Eir/KN appointments and finally yesterday the KN crew came out and started work.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058091284

I notified ComReg of my intention to take ComReg to court for their failure to regulate and ensure Eir did not deny me my landline under the USO, the following day they arrived for their fourth appointment.

Eir are a disgusting appalling company to deal with run by absolute morons, Three around 10 years ago were bad but nothing could touch EIR today in terms of appalling customer service.

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »
    nothing could touch EIR today in terms of appalling customer service.

Imagine: hold my beer...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

On the pre order menu, bbnet, sky and digiweb are the only available options, will more be added and just wondering what are Digi web like?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Dceng2 wrote: »
    Had the trees and hedgerows trimmed along the lines here in East Kerry today, between Killarney and Rathmore on a rural road. Spotted an NBI van about during the trimming also. Thing is our Eircode on the NBI website gives an estimated date of January - March 2023 (Rollout in Rathmore DA) while our townland is also listed as Network Build in Progress August - October 2021 (Killarney DA).

Where do you see the estimated date? Is it on NBI.ie where you enter your eircode? We just get survey pending there and no date :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Hococop wrote: »
    On the pre order menu, bbnet, sky and digiweb are the only available options, will more be added and just wondering what are Digi web like?

I per-ordered for my parents yesterday with Pure Telecom

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

They're excellent and great customer service.
    If there were 20 resellers on the list I'd still choose them.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    They're excellent and great customer service.
    If there were 20 resellers on the list I'd still choose them.

Cheers what's the download speed like there is 2 deals one for 500mb or 1000 would I get over 500mb download?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Cheers what's the download speed like there is 2 deals one for 500mb or 1000 would I get over 500mb download?

You'll get very close to the 1000 on the 1000mb package and 500 on the 500mb package. No problems with speed on the fiber connection. Often the devices in the house are the bottleneck.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    You'll get very close to the 1000 on the 1000mb package and 500 on the 500mb package. No problems with speed on the fiber connection. Often the devices in the house are the bottleneck.

Cheers mainly gaming is where most of it will be used, hopefully it's live soon

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dceng2

Where do you see the estimated date? Is it on NBI.ie where you enter your eircode? We just get survey pending there and no date :(
    Yes, the 2023 date through the eircode map, the 2021 date through the rollout plan townlands page.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

theguzman wrote: »
    Why would anyone go with EIR on the NBI? :confused: it would be like buying a jackass and cart to travel on the Motorway? I have spent 10 months of a tussle with EIR and ComReg trying to get my landline reconnected. I had three cancelled Eir/KN appointments and finally yesterday the KN crew came out and started work.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058091284

I notified ComReg of my intention to take ComReg to court for their failure to regulate and ensure Eir did not deny me my landline under the USO, the following day they arrived for their fourth appointment.

Eir are a disgusting appalling company to deal with run by absolute morons, Three around 10 years ago were bad but nothing could touch EIR today in terms of appalling customer service.

And then I've had Eir for the last three years after moving from VF and have nothing but positive stuff to say about them. Got a good deal every year when I rang ,got through to them no problem. Had a technical issue porting my phone which was fixed within days. So each has their own experience I suppose which if i was given the option through NBI Id stick with Eir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭andy.dunleavy

Installation day is underway

Speedtest results on sky's 500mb to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Great to see more installs taking place.

I wonder what this thread will be like by 2025/26. I'll post up a picture of "install happening" and there'll be no one else left in the thread by that stage :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

We will need a new thread for installs and providers etc this one may get a bit mad

Sky fibre 500mb installed by kn circet completed.

Took around 3 hours to pull cable from telephone pole up to the house and through the attic down into the room where the box is placed

Photos attached are wifi speed tests on iphone, ipad and wired connection using pretty basic hp laptop

So far wired speeds seem just as fast as wifi while in the same or adjoining room

ipad: https://ibb.co/JWTNhzh
    iphone: https://ibb.co/4tcL8Ty
    laptop wired: https://ibb.co/Y7zC7ps
    setup: https://ibb.co/NxqK1fH

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

joe123 wrote: »
    Great to see more installs taking place.

I wonder what this thread will be like by 2025/26. I'll post up a picture of "install happening" and there'll be no one else left in the thread by that stage :o

Every time I see an NBI van fly up the road on the N3 to or from Dublin I alert everyone in the vicinity almost involuntarily, I go on runs and investigate poles to see DP boxes to see who has fibre and wish it was me, trying to figure out where the lines lead and why Eir never came my way. We can only dream

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭naughto

Adriatic wrote: »
    Every time I see an NBI van fly up the road on the N3 to or from Dublin I alert everyone in the vicinity almost involuntarily, I go on runs and investigate poles to see DP boxes to see who has fibre and wish it was me, trying to figure out where the lines lead and why Eir never came my way. We can only dream

Every where I go iam checking poles to see if they have fibre on them

naughto wrote: »
    Every where I go iam checking poles to see if they have fibre on them

Haha same, even worried I will be forgotten when they are working on our road, I see some poles further back from us that have loops of wiring hanging off them but don't see them near ours but we have that ftth box (hopefully the right word) on the pole near ours if that is the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭butwhynot

Sky fibre 500mb installed by kn circet completed.

Took around 3 hours to pull cable from telephone pole up to the house and through the attic down into the room where the box is placed

Photos attached are wifi speed tests on iphone, ipad and wired connection using pretty basic hp laptop

So far wired speeds seem just as fast as wifi while in the same or adjoining room

I thought FTTH (unlike cable) was capped, how can you get 540 down/55 up on a 500mbps connection? With Open Eir the max I can get is 480mbps.

I wonder what speeds are available on a 1Gbps connection.

butwhynot wrote: »
    I thought FTTH (unlike cable) was capped, how can you get 540 down/55 up on a 500mbps connection? With Open Eir the max I can get is 480mbps.

I wonder what speeds are available on a 1Gbps connection.

I also ran speeds on a TP-Link AX50 which is bridged from the ISP router, speeds still holding at 540-550

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

Cloverhill, Co.Cavan

Was install day here too.

Neighbour and I both had KN crew arrive at the same time so The race was on between us :-)

Install took about 2 hours in total. Overhead install and engineer took cable down through conduit I’d put through the attic beforehand.

Connection through wired and Wi-Fi have been rock solid.

I went for 500mb and neighbour for gigabit (both with DigiWeb).

To say I’m delighted is an understatement, really didn’t think we’d get connected this soon.

Some pics and Speedtests attached

Advertisement