Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭listermint

joe123 wrote: »
    Great to see more installs taking place.

I wonder what this thread will be like by 2025/26. I'll post up a picture of "install happening" and there'll be no one else left in the thread by that stage :o

Il be there. We can virtual beer when our installs go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

baz9375 wrote: »
    Cloverhill, Co.Cavan

Was install day here too.

Neighbour and I both had KN crew arrive at the same time so The race was on between us :-)

Install took about 2 hours in total. Overhead install and engineer took cable down through conduit I’d put through the attic beforehand.

Connection through wired and Wi-Fi have been rock solid.

I went for 500mb and neighbour for gigabit (both with DigiWeb).

To say I’m delighted is an understatement, really didn’t think we’d get connected this soon.

Some pics and Speedtests attached

Did they work in the attic, I thought they would refuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

I had a run of conduit already installed from the gable of the house through the attic and down into the room; I had a draw rope ready too.

He didn't need to go into the attic but he offered to as he initially though that the entry point would need to be higher than I had drilled.

Neighbour's installer worked in the attic space and ran the fibre cable through it but I think they have floored attic.

I was under the impression they would refuse to do any work in the attic space but I suppose it really depends on who you get on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Thanks, thants good to know, I have my router and everything in the attic at the.momrnt, would like to keep it that way if I can

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

KN doing NBI installs seem to have a more flexible approach than KN doing Eir installs from clearing blocked ducts to going into attics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

baz9375 wrote: »
    I had a run of conduit already installed from the gable of the house through the attic and down into the room; I had a draw rope ready too.

I'd be prepared to do that too in preparation. Can you give me an idea of the conduit you used?

A photo if it's not too much bother, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭user1842

I'd be prepared to do that too in preparation. Can you give me an idea of the conduit you used?

A photo if it's not too much bother, please.

Have a look at the conduit used in the below install, worked for us (15 or 20mm I think it was).

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057946234/44/#post116980626

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

For those who got SKY BB and not getting into legalities or otherwise or how you use IPTV but do they block IPTV over and above what other ISPs do

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭andy.dunleavy

danny004 wrote: »
    For those who got SKY BB and not getting into legalities or otherwise or how you use IPTV but do they block IPTV over and above what other ISPs do

I had Sky bb installed only yesterday afternoon, streaming iptv with / without vpn and no issues so far

Tired other US and Canadian streaming services with express vpn and controld (dns), no issues to report yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Can we keep post installation bits to another thread if possible. I only want to see progress posts in here and the progress of nbi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

danny004 wrote: »

No, they don't. Usually when a service is blocked in Ireland it's a blanket thing.

Far as I know no ISP is particularly proactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Here is some more recent information from NBI. It is from early April though so there may be some more areas in build or under survey since this was published.

April-Update.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭naughto

NBAiii wrote: »
    Here is some more recent information from NBI. It is from early April though so there may be some more areas in build or under survey since this was published.

April-Update.png

Is it better to be in build or tree trimming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

naughto wrote:

In build! Only 900 premises connected

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

What does 'eir make ready' mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

NBAiii wrote: »

April-Update.png

Waterford and Drogheda showing "Survey Underway" rather than "Network Build In Progress" from https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

naughto wrote: »

Tree trimming would be the very start of the build process so it would be better to be further on.
    Nolars wrote: »
    In build! Only 900 premises connected

It is now over 2000 premises passed as per this post.

Make ready to me would be the preparation of eir infrastructure to facilitate the build, so replacing poles, building or re-building access chambers, clearing ducts etc.

It could just be a generic term they are using for the build process though.
    clohamon wrote: »
    Waterford and Drogheda showing "Survey Underway" rather than "Network Build In Progress" from https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/.

The last major update to that rollout page was at the end of February. I thought this was interesting in that it shows completed surveys for quite a few areas plus the builds in the places you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Thanks again for the info NBAiii.

Do you have any idea how long it takes them to survey ome full DA? I know they said before they on average survey 17k premises a month but that includes all DA's they are currently surveying.

I've also noticed the progress counter they had on the website has been removed. When it was up, they were well behind on hitting the 17k premises a month, unless the website updates were lagging behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Presumable all of the ducting, pole replacement,etc. OpenEir own that infrastructure, so it's on them to get it ready for the fibre itself (which is the only part of the pre-connection infrastructure that NBI own for the access network I'm guessing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I needed to get a large file to my daughter in Western Australia today. It was to take 12 hours on my 5.80/0.52 Mbps copper so I decided to drive 30 minutes to my nearest NBI BCP.

This was my first time using one. For starters, you need a mobile phone to receive the pass code and in the end, it simply wouldn't connect. What a shame. There were three connections there (Cookstown Further Education, Training and Community Centre, KILDARE, R14 K578). Two were very strong but needed passwords. Alas the NBI BCP was only at one bar.

I was incredibly disappointed and very annoyed to see what some of our tax money is being used for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I needed to get a large file to my daughter in Western Australia today. It was to take 12 hours on my 5.80/0.52 Mbps copper so I decided to drive 30 minutes to my nearest NBI BCP.

This was my first time using one. For starters, you need a mobile phone to receive the pass code and in the end, it simply wouldn't connect. What a shame. There were three connections there (Cookstown Further Education, Training and Community Centre, KILDARE, R14 K578). Two were very strong but needed passwords. Alas the NBI BCP was only at one bar.

I was incredibly disappointed and very annoyed to see what some of our tax money is being used for.

I drove 21km to my nearest BCP around 2 weeks ago, I got 100mb up and 66mb down, it is fed with a wireless link to a nearby Vodafone mast ontop of a remote hill which is presumably fed by microwave from somewhere else.

Like you said you must get the SMS text confirmation and alot of stuff like torrents etc are blocked. The entirely stupid thing about the BCP is that EIR's FTTH is right there passing the BCP and still these jobsworths still decided to feed it by Wireless greatly reducing the speed available, it is not hitting the 150mbps it was touted as, when it could hit several hundred meg had they gotten themselves an EIR FTTH connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

How is the landline telephone service working now when NBI is taken into the equation? Say you get a bundle from Sky or Vodafone etc. is your landline still using EIR's copper or is it a voip phone coming in via the NBI Fibre?

I have a cousin who has EIR FTTH and his house has both copper and fibre with the terrestrial landline fed via copper and the Fibre providing data only.

theguzman wrote: »
    How is the landline telephone service working now when NBI is taken into the equation? Say you get a bundle from Sky or Vodafone etc. is your landline still using EIR's copper or is it a voip phone coming in via the NBI Fibre?

I have a cousin who has EIR FTTH and his house has both copper and fibre with the terrestrial landline fed via copper and the Fibre providing data only.
    I got sold VOIP from Digiweb but I don't know if I'll even get to keep my number tbh

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I got sold VOIP from Digiweb but I don't know if I'll even get to keep my number tbh

You have a god-given right to keep your number. Porting it to VoIP is something any competent ISP can do, and Digiweb is a competent ISP.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    You have a god-given right to keep your number. Porting it to VoIP is something any competent ISP can do, and Digiweb is a competent ISP.
    I'm not that knowledgeable about it so that's good to know

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm not that knowledgeable about it so that's good to know

Just make sure you have a recent phone bill with your name, number and account number on it and you shouldn't have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Presumable all of the ducting, pole replacement,etc. OpenEir own that infrastructure, so it's on them to get it ready for the fibre itself (which is the only part of the pre-connection infrastructure that NBI own for the access network I'm guessing)

Any pole replacement, duct clearing, chamber work I've seen has been undertaken by NBI crews. I've only ever seen OpenEir working alongside them once where a particularly large tree had to be trimmed. They were there to get the copper out of the way. Maybe Eir are paying NBI for the work but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Hi, my house was surveyed last week by NBI.
    Does anyone know how long of a process it takes after that please?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Hi, my house was surveyed last week by NBI.
    Does anyone know how long of a process it takes after that please?

The general consensus is about 12 months from survey to connection, but it's not set in stone so take it as a rough guideline.

I'm in the same boat - surveyed last week (South Co. Kildare).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Any pole replacement, duct clearing, chamber work I've seen has been undertaken by NBI crews. I've only ever seen OpenEir working alongside them once where a particularly large tree had to be trimmed. They were there to get the copper out of the way. Maybe Eir are paying NBI for the work but I doubt it.

That's a fair point. All the vans I've seen working have something along the lines "on behalf of NBI" or similar on them. Would love to know how the arrangement works. Perhaps because NBI are building out in areas where there is no OpenEir fibre infrastructure, they're working alone in those areas, but OpenEir handle those areas where NBI overlaps with the existing OpenEir fibre infrastructure (or where the copper needs to be taken care of). That said, I'm pretty sure the existing ducting and pole infrastructure is all OpenEirs. Took a look at their docs and saw the following:
    Supervised access is not mandatory for pole access..An Operator may also request supervised accessfor pole access, which is chargeable.open eir will provide a representative to supervise any works carried out by the Operator in open eir duct/sub-duct/boxes –this will be by prior appointment only.The Operator will request supervised access which details date, time, duration, activity, attendees, etc.See separate but related Duct Access product documents for further details on ‘UUB access’ and this Supervised Access process.Note: that for civil works the presence of a supervisor does not indemnify the Operator for any subsequent claims with respect to re-instatement quality, 3rd party claims etc.

So it appears OpenEir allow unsupervised (and optionally supervised) access to their pole infrastructure.

Duct access is more restricted:
    Operators and their representatives must only enter open eirduct or UUBchamber under supervised access for specified purposes egcore drilling into open eir’s chamber, buried box dig-down,fleeting the Operatorcable. open eirwill provide on request a representative to supervise all access to its sub-duct and UUB box/chambers. This representative will direct the Operatorto the exact location and depth of the core drill and where their duct should enter open eir’s chamber wall.This will be by prior appointment and agreement from open eir.Charges will apply.

Advertisement