Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

In the pre order menu there is only 3 companies available to order off of, will more be added or is that the only options?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

It must vary by area - Im in the Carrigaline deployment area and when I click on pre-order I get 12 supplier options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

djd80 wrote: »
    It must vary by area - Im in the Carrigaline deployment area and when I click on pre-order I get 12 supplier options.

Yeah had a load at first 2 weeks back, then my status changed to july-sept, now it's back to pre order but only 3, I'll fire my details in for digiweb and see if more get added later

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Hi, my house was surveyed last week by NBI.
    Does anyone know how long of a process it takes after that please?
    It'll be over 2 years for me so hope you're a patient type.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It'll be over 2 years for me so hope you're a patient type.

NBI contract only signed Nov 2019 wasn't it?....:confused:

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    NBI contract only signed Nov 2019 wasn't it?....:confused:
    Surveyed May 12 last year, due for deployment April - June 2022 as it stands today. That'll more than likely get pushed out and I'm in a deployment area that overlaps with another so will be one of the last to be done in that DA.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Surveyed May 12 last year, due for deployment April - June 2022 as it stands today. That'll more than likely get pushed out and I'm in a deployment area that overlaps with another so will be one of the last to be done in that DA.

That's a pretty unfortunate scenario, but I don't think it's typical of all installs. Do you know if there was any hold-up in the process for your area, or is the roll-out process just taking that long?

Are there other DAs with similar circumstances?

Dero wrote: »
    That's a pretty unfortunate scenario, but I don't think it's typical of all installs. Do you know if there was any hold-up in the process for your area, or is the roll-out process just taking that long?

Are there other DAs with similar circumstances?
    Think the average is around 18 months. We're just in a bad area where we are a pocket of around 30 properties surrounded by other townlands that were covered by eir's rural rollout. No idea at all what the delay is but hopefully this is the exception to the rule and it rolls out faster to others.

Gotcha!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I reckon the timeline is/will be closer to 18 - 24 months once surveyed going by the delays and what we've seen so far.

The hope is that they speed up as they progress but personally I think we will continue to see delays and a prolonged rollout unfortunately.

Was chatting to the local councilor again recently who had a meeting with the NBI, and he mentioned they don't seem to have any information or timelines at all and no explanations given as to the delays seen so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Lots of NBI vans around Galway city today and a few in Carnmore passing fiber cables underground. Fingers crossed the progress continues and we see fiber on the July side of the July-September 2021 rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Nuphor

NBAiii wrote: »
    Here is some more recent information from NBI. It is from early April though so there may be some more areas in build or under survey since this was published.

April-Update.png

This is great info - where did it come from? Shame similar couldn't be posted to https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

joe123 wrote: »
    Thanks again for the info NBAiii.

Do you have any idea how long it takes them to survey ome full DA? I know they said before they on average survey 17k premises a month but that includes all DA's they are currently surveying.

I've also noticed the progress counter they had on the website has been removed. When it was up, they were well behind on hitting the 17k premises a month, unless the website updates were lagging behind.

I don't have figures for how long the average DA survey takes.

I noticed the progress counter gone as well. They are not great at providing clear information.
    Nuphor wrote: »
    This is great info - where did it come from? Shame similar couldn't be posted to https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/

It was from an NBI presentation in April. I wasn't in attendance but the slide was sent to me.

joe123 wrote: »
    NBI Survey count updated again this afternoon. Checked in this morning and it was around 198k.

Noticed there its now 201,111

Hopefully they are just behind in terms of updating the website, otherwise thats only ~5k premises surveyed in 2 and half weeks. That would be well off their "we survey 17k a month".

They said last year that surveying was something under their control in terms of acceleration and would easily be able to speed up that process even further. :confused:

Noticed the progress bar is back up on the NBI website today.

215k premises surveyed. Lets hope the website is severely lagging behind real time data, otherwise thats 14k premises surveyed in 5 weeks. 3k behind their "17k a month with room for acceleration"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

joe123 wrote:
    215k premises surveyed. Lets hope the website is severely lagging behind real time data, otherwise thats 14k premises surveyed in 5 weeks. 3k behind their "17k a month with room for acceleration"

They probably have enough surveyed for the next 4 years considering only about 2k are connected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I see a big problem for NBI going forward.....its roads without poles...

I am in one of the early rollout areas in Cork and travel a road in Cork most days and to be honest NBI have been working on this stretch of road for the last 6 months!! There are no Eir poles or ESB poles on this road and they are ducting their cables. But holy god! the amount of time they have spent on this 2km stretch cant be economic. They are not laying trenches but every 20-30 meters they have dug up the verge and pulled their ducting. I think its holding up the rollout for my area as we are all available for preorder.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

I wouldn't follow NBIs site, the information on it is hit and miss . My house is in an estate with around 30 houses and my house shows survey pending yet the first house coming in is down for connection on October 2021- December 2021. Now 2 other houses up the road 1 is to the left of the exchange and the other is to the right, both rural and not in an estate, can get 43mbps according to vodafone but yet 1 house is getting connected by NBI and the other is NOT IN INTERVENTION AREA?

I wouldn't follow NBIs site, the information on it is hit and miss . My house is in an estate with around 30 houses and my house shows survey pending yet the first house coming in is down for connection on October 2021- December 2021. Now 2 other houses up the road 1 is to the left of the exchange and the other is to the right, both rural and not in an estate, can get 43mbps according to vodafone but yet 1 house is getting connected by NBI and the other is NOT IN INTERVENTION AREA?

Theres been reports alright of a few inconsistencies with areas in and out of the IA.

Someone on here reported they can already get 90Mb FTTC but are also included in this rollout.

I honestly dont know why the NBI are pushing their social channels so much asking people to reach out. Everyone without a timeline just gets fed the same template answer and the website isnt updated enough to keep people informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    I see a big problem for NBI going forward.....its roads without poles...

I am in one of the early rollout areas in Cork and travel a road in Cork most days and to be honest NBI have been working on this stretch of road for the last 6 months!! There are no Eir poles or ESB poles on this road and they are ducting their cables. But holy god! the amount of time they have spent on this 2km stretch cant be economic. They are not laying trenches but every 20-30 meters they have dug up the verge and pulled their ducting. I think its holding up the rollout for my area as we are all available for preorder.

Seems to be the exact same thing happening in Carnmore. I don't mind it too much since the extra holes and new infrastructure can only be a good thing going forward I would imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dceng2

I was chatting to the grandfather during the week and he also noticed tree trimming going on in our area, specifically in the townlands of Carran, Gortanahaneboy West, Gortderrig, Gortnagane, and Shrone Beg. These townlands are included in both the Killarney Townland list and Rathmore Townlands list on the NBI website but only Killarney is Network Build in Progress.

There was also ducting works under the 20kv lines in our area today. The existing ducts must have been in good shape as it didn't take too long to complete. Got chatting to the crew, it appears it's all preparatory work at the moment with fibre installation not supposed to take place until later in the year around September, whether thats for all of Killarney or just to our area is another question. The estimated connection date seems to be around the end of the year then maybe even early next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

Sort of unrelated but might interfere? Siro contacted me back today saying
    Unfortunately after further investigation from our Plan and Design team, it was discovered that some of the homes in this area, including (my eircode) are Direct Buried - meaning that there is no ESB ducting present to your home. Other homes in the estate which have been passed are ducted and vaulted. Unfortunately, as this time we will not be able to connect your home to the SIRO network

There is an Eir duct outside which I have ADSL through will NBI use this or am I in trouble? I am in the intervention area although no survey or dates yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Gav_96 wrote: »
    Sort of unrelated but might interfere? Siro contacted me back today saying

There is an Eir duct outside which I have ADSL through will NBI use this or am I in trouble? I am in the intervention area although no survey or dates yet.

My understanding is that it's the Eir infrastructure that will be used primarily for NBI. and the fact you have a duct for your existing ADSL connection means it should be re-used, assuming there are no blockages,etc.

Siro is a joint venture between the ESB and Vodafone, and as such tries to leverage ESB infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

My understanding is that it's the Eir infrastructure that will be used primarily for NBI. and the fact you have a duct for your existing ADSL connection means it should be re-used, assuming there are no blockages,etc.

Siro is a joint venture between the ESB and Vodafone, and as such tries to leverage ESB infrastructure.

Good to hear you would be stressed talking to isps with no confidence in them.

Imagine targets further rural broadband rollout with €45m in Dutch bank cash
    The fixed wireless operator, which is eyeing 60 new 5G masts around the country, now has 40,000 rural customers with 55,000 additional ‘applications’.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/imagine-targets-furtherrural-broadband-rollout-with45m-in-dutchbank-cash-40424544.html

I guess they've got 6-7 years to grab pre-NBI customers...

A Limerick based WISP (efone) have been knocking on doors all around Tipperary Town over the last few months, and it's actually impressive how many customers they've signed up given those same customers would have access to NBI in a few months. There's a lot of people who are totally in the dark as to the rollout timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Garfin

When I put my eircode in (rural South Roscommon Ballydangan area) status now reads ready for pre-order*

Available to Pre-Order
    Your premises is in the Intervention Area and high speed fibre broadband can be pre-ordered now.*

Pre-Order Now through one of the local providers in your area

Only showing SKY and Digigweb when you click the pre order link???

My house is not connected yet nor is there any sign of other local houses being connected (coils left on poles at both ends of the road), nor have we had any communication from NBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

Garfin wrote: »
    When I put my eircode in (rural South Roscommon Ballydangan area) status now reads ready for pre-order*

Available to Pre-Order
    Your premises is in the Intervention Area and high speed fibre broadband can be pre-ordered now.*

My house is not connected yet nor is there any sign of other local houses being connected (coils left on poles at both ends of the road), nor have we had any communication from NBI.

I live just outside Roscommon town. The infrastructure is in the same state as yours. Still showing network build in progress here. Connection AUG-OCT 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Garfin

baz9375 wrote: »
    Cloverhill, Co.Cavan

Was install day here too.

Neighbour and I both had KN crew arrive at the same time so The race was on between us :-)

Install took about 2 hours in total. Overhead install and engineer took cable down through conduit I’d put through the attic beforehand.

Connection through wired and Wi-Fi have been rock solid.

I went for 500mb and neighbour for gigabit (both with DigiWeb).

To say I’m delighted is an understatement, really didn’t think we’d get connected this soon.

Some pics and Speedtests attached

Baz did they offer an underground connection solution?
    Does your house have an existing connection for a landline?

Available to Pre-Order

I was out your way today, Ballydangan, Moore, Dromalga, Clonfad, Kilbegly etc, and there is a lot of fiber in place along the poles. There must have been some burst in the last few weeks. Not much at all in place a couple of weeks ago.
    Pre-orders can be taken 60 days at least before the live date. Digiweb is a good option. Basically all the Ballinasloe DA is gone pre-order.
    Working away stringing fiber near the old Clonfad school & tom Raftery's garage.
    553040.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

Baz did they offer an underground connection solution?
    Does your house have an existing connection for a landline?

They didn’t offer or mention underground connection at all.

I have existing copper line for phone so they followed the same path to the house as that cable.

Advertisement