Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

Living 3km outside Roscommon town on way to Lanesboro, go live AUG-OCT 2021.

Just received a pre-order text message from Eurona:

"We are delighted to announce we are now able to start taking pre-orders for the new NBI fibre which is due to commence roll-out in Roscommon (and surrounding areas) this August. If you would like to place your order please email sales@eurona-brisknet.ie or call 0906634319.

I have checked my availability on the NBI.ie website but still shows High-Speed Broadband coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Literally just got the same text. Can't see any mention of NBI Fibre on their website though and no pricing either.

I'm on the N61 side south of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Fiber hanging from poles for the last 2-3 months is finally being blown underground around Carnmore/Oranmore area of Galway now. Most progress I've seen in a while. Looks like a continuous line of fiber from my home right into the city now. Optimistic about the July/August date now!

Pique wrote: »
    Literally just got the same text. Can't see any mention of NBI Fibre on their website though and no pricing either.

I'm on the N61 side south of town.

Just put in an order with Eurona Brisknet now. Had them for Wireless and been quite good overall. Gone for the 500mb package, router unlocked, 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

Sales believe it should be an August installation date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Made a complaint to NBI about the hedge trimming they did last month around my area. Left a bunch of branches on the roadside and they had cut a telephone cable, (that would have been servicing my house if I weren't on Imagine).

They were out the next morning to clean up!

• Advertisement

Just put in an order with Eurona Brisknet now. Had them for Wireless and been quite good overall. Gone for the 500mb package, router unlocked, 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

Same company:

https://ardenbroadband.ie/fibre.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Significant NBI work in upper Rochestown by the Rochestown college for the last 4 days. Not sure what they’re doing but it looks quite major as they’ve the whole road closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Got the same text, did you ring them or email

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Sound. Does that include VOIP package at those prices? It's not that long ago that I was paying more for 20mbps wireless with voip than Arden's Gigabit price. I always intended to keep my business local if possible and give it to Eurona Brisknet(even though they were in the RISPA opposition to the NBP).

Pique wrote: »
    Sound. Does that include VOIP package at those prices? It's not that long ago that I was paying more for 20mbps wireless with voip than Arden's Gigabit price. I always intended to keep my business local if possible and give it to Eurona Brisknet(even though they were in the RISPA opposition to the NBP).

Same as this, local jobs and the price is good.

• Advertisement

Redriddick wrote: »
    Got the same text, did you ring them or email

Called them on the number. Didn't ask about VOIP.

Called them on the number. Didn't ask about VOIP.

Did the same, 1GB on the way!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Spillanee

TheSegal wrote: »
    Fiber hanging from poles for the last 2-3 months is finally being blown underground around Carnmore/Oranmore area of Galway now. Most progress I've seen in a while. Looks like a continuous line of fiber from my home right into the city now. Optimistic about the July/August date now!

Was on to digiweb yesterday and they said that my house(in Oranmore) is due for connection now in October. They contacted nbi about it to double check it and everything. Hopefully not the same story for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Spillanee wrote: »
    Was on to digiweb yesterday and they said that my house(in Oranmore) is due for connection now in October. They contacted nbi about it to double check it and everything. Hopefully not the same story for yourself

Was in around Galway N84 road area there Tuesday again and zero progress on the Fibre thats on polls for months now. Left hanging loose with some of that clear tubing too. No sign of any work having took place that I can see.

October!? Ffs, they told me only a few weeks ago that it should be July/August. That's an absolute joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

What does it show on the nbi map? Is preorder available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

October!? Ffs, they told me only a few weeks ago that it should be July/August. That's an absolute joke

I was hoping for July /Aug also.

Still showing available for pre-order so it should be available within 90 days or less going by what other posters have said here over the last few weeks? Really confused by everything now, waiting on word back from Digiweb and NBI.

Yeah still shows as being able for pre order on the nbi site, so not sure what’s going on.

Yeah not sure what’s going on really, I was told it was going to be July/August too a few weeks ago. Hoping it was an error on nbi’s side but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the case. If you could let me know what type of response you get from digiweb that would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

Sean Canney makes the point about uncertainty again. And Eamon Ryan doesn't answer again.
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2021-05-20a.296#g318
    Seán Canney (Galway East, Independent)
    .....One bit of action is required from National Broadband Ireland, NBI, however, which is to prepare a medium-term programme to show people when they may expect to see the service coming to their area. Currently, NBI will give a person an answer to say that a household is at pre-survey stage, but it cannot give any indication as to when the service might be available. In fairness, people have told me that if they know they will not get a service for 12 or 18 months or two years, then at least they can plan around that. At the moment, it is very difficult for people to plan anything . Given the importance of having high-speed broadband in our homes, it would be very good if National Broadband Ireland could actually prepare a programme.
    Eamon Ryan (Dublin Bay South, Green Party)
    It is critical. A survey commissioned during the week looked at the issue of remote working, with 95% of people surveyed citing the view that they did not want to go back to a five-day week all of the time, especially if there is long-distance commuting involved. The national broadband plan will be a critical part of facilitating this alternative and better way of doing things. We must be straight up that the roll-out has been affected by Covid in the context of getting contractors in and getting work done. They are progressing, however. The last time I looked at the figures I believe more than 200,000 houses had been surveyed. It is going to take time, but we are working now to see if we can accelerate it, and there is a benefit that can accrue from that. I am hopeful. They will not truncate it down to anything like we would want it to be, but there is an urgency. It will not be the lengthy initial planned seven years. I hope we can truncate that somewhat.
    Going back to earlier discussions on the roll-out, it is critical that the local authorities are fast in working with NBI with regard to giving the planning permissions or the necessary road permissions to allow us to put in some of the poling that we need.
    Some of the key bottlenecks are at a very local level. Some councils are very good and others could learn from that practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

At this stage they'd want to accelerate their talks of accelerating.

Over a year on about it now with nothing to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

For me...the NBI website says AUG~OCT 2021 OR JAN-DEC 2023 depending on where you look.
    Rang them yesterday and gave them my eircode was told "12 to 18 months before available"
    My house is along the L1143 in Louth

Working from home....the struggle continues :0(

Steve F wrote: »
    For me...the NBI website says AUG~OCT 2021 OR JAN-DEC 2023 depending on where you look.
    Rang them yesterday and gave them my eircode was told "12 to 18 months before available"
    My house is along the L1143 in Louth

Working from home....the struggle continues :0(

Tbh I'd say that 12 to 18 months is worst case scenario.
    Whoever you were talking to probably had no access to see the rollout dates.

Redriddick wrote: »
    Tbh I'd say that 12 to 18 months is worst case scenario.
    Whoever you were talking to probably had no access to see the rollout dates.

Thanks for the reply.I hope you are right as the wireless internet we have at present is up and down like a fiddlers elbow speed wise.Some days its not too bad but more often than not it's so slow work takes ages to accomplish :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

I was initially told Aug-Oct install then got an email saying Oct-Dec, I'm nearly 10 years waiting for broadband so another 3 months or so is not going to be a big deal at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

ShaunC wrote: »
    I was initially told Aug-Oct install then got an email saying Oct-Dec, I'm nearly 10 years waiting for broadband so another 3 months or so is not going to be a big deal at this stage.

I got an email in March saying June to Aug 2021, then a few weeks later in April it changed to July to Dec 2022. Think my house was moved to a different DA.

I would take whatever they or their website says with a pinch of salt.

Donutz wrote: »
    I got an email in March saying June to Aug 2021, then a few weeks later in April it changed to July to Dec 2022. Think my house was moved to a different DA.

I would take whatever they or their website says with a pinch of salt.

This is what I'm thinking too.
    Mind you at least you are getting mails.I've registered my interest but never got a single mail from them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mun1

Fibre installed on poles today , next step is DPs and then hopefully final run into house.
    Fedamore limerick due to get connected in July.

• Advertisement

Yeah not sure what’s going on really, I was told it was going to be July/August too a few weeks ago. Hoping it was an error on nbi’s side but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the case. If you could let me know what type of response you get from digiweb that would be great.

Got word back from Digiweb today. NBI informed them of a small build issue that will delay the rollout West of the city to October. None of this has been added to the NBI site which is a joke tbh, we shouldn't have to be informed by third party ISPs of delays to the rollout. I contacted NBI for clarification and got the same copy and paste email about the rollout is proceeding as planned and I can pre-order with an ISP now, don't understand why NBI ask people to contact them if they don't even bother to read the damn emails sent to them!! Didn't address the question I asked about the rollout being delayed to October at all.

Advertisement