Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭irishchris

Donutz wrote: »
    I'm living in Castlequarter in Fedamore village. When Eir built their FTTH network, for some reason they never bothered bringing it into our estate. As far as I know most of the rest of the village is covered apart from a few houses.

I have a bad feeling that because all the surrounding areas have fast broadband we are gonna be forgotten about and will probably be one of the last areas in the country to get connected.

In similar situation here. All houses around us for few km in every direction are covered by eir ftth. 10 houses here on small boreen in middle of that and finally got a date of mar-may 2022 for nbi. Had feared same that we would be forgotten about until end as would seem very awkward for them to get here for so few houses

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

irishchris wrote: »
    In similar situation here. All houses around us for few km in every direction are covered by eir ftth. 10 houses here on small boreen in middle of that and finally got a date of mar-may 2022 for nbi. Had feared same that we would be forgotten about until end as would seem very awkward for them to get here for so few houses

I wouldn't pay any attention to the dates on their website.
    Back in March my eircode was showing as network build in progress and expected connection date of July 21 to August 21

In May all the neighbouring townlands went to available to preorder but we went back a step to surveying underway with an expected connection date of June 22 to December 22

Then last week we went back another step to survey planned and now there is no expected connection date.

The information on the website is a bit of a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭irishchris

I wouldn't pay any attention to the dates on their website.
    Back in March my eircode was showing as network build in progress and expected connection date of July 21 to August 21

In May all the neighbouring townlands went to available to preorder but we went back a step to surveying underway with an expected connection date of June 22 to December 22

Then last week we went back another step to survey planned and now there is no expected connection date.

The information on the website is a bit of a farce.

Hoping yours is the exception rather than the rule. I'm just happy to see something other than survey not done yet to planned date. Even if goes back little bit will be better than the 5 years I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I'm living in Castlequarter in Fedamore village. When Eir built their FTTH network, for some reason they never bothered bringing it into our estate. As far as I know most of the rest of the village is covered apart from a few houses.

I have a bad feeling that because all the surrounding areas have fast broadband we are gonna be forgotten about and will probably be one of the last areas in the country to get connected.

If it's any consolation there are loads of such areas up and down the country.
    It seems to be a strategy the Eir had in the lead up to the NBP being signed.

Don't let all the talk about progress in this thread fool you. I'd say that people experiencing "vans in the locality" are in the minority. :)

At least thats what I keep telling myself... I'm in the same boat as you. Eir have 3 separate approaches that stop between 1 and 2 km from a pocket of 50+ houses and there is no dates on the NBI site at all. :(
    I think I'll be waiting a while too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

TheSegal wrote: »
    Didn't realise they worked on a Saturday, that's a really good sign!

And Sundays, Bank holidays, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Significant activity, 4 vans and a cherry picker, next to the Rochestown College in Cork at the time of this post. Launch date here is July-August 2021, so this is a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

I'm starting to wonder if the really bad publicity NBI have been getting over the last few weeks has caused them to just go into overdrive to try and connect houses quickly for some positive media coverage. Because I have never seen this much activity around the area and friends in other parts of Galway are seeing loads of work in their areas aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

I'm starting to wonder if the really bad publicity NBI have been getting over the last few weeks has caused them to just go into overdrive to try and connect houses quickly for some positive media coverage. Because I have never seen this much activity around the area and friends in other parts of Galway are seeing loads of work in their areas aswell

Saw two vans in Carnmore across from the Centra just before you turn into airport. Really pushing it now in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

Our townland isn't mentioned anywhere on the nbi website.

You may be in Ballyea, which would might put you in the Hospital DA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Work looks to be back in between roscommon and knockcroghery today. Lads working on main road.

• Advertisement

clohamon wrote: »
    You may be in Ballyea, which would might put you in the Hospital DA.

I'm actually in Castlequarter which is right next to Ballyea. Good to know which DA I am in. Thank you.

Significant work going on in Rochestown, Cork again today and yesterday. Looks like we’re almost ready for launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Heard the NBI mentioned on the radio a few times today how far behind they are from the 115k target for 2021. Not good coverage for them and how can they blame covid for only having 4k households connected.

Significant work going on in Rochestown, Cork again today and yesterday. Looks like we’re almost ready for launch.

When you significant work do you mean they are splicing the cables into the DPs or are they now testing everything? They seem to be finished splicing cable all around Oranmore/Carnmore/Briarhill in Galway and now people are up on ladders inspecting each DP now. I do not know is this for continuity testing or something to ensure there is no broken link in the network.

When you significant work do you mean they are splicing the cables into the DPs or are they now testing everything? They seem to be finished splicing cable all around Oranmore/Carnmore/Briarhill in Galway and now people are up on ladders inspecting each DP now. I do not know is this for continuity testing or something to ensure there is no broken link in the network.

Testing, no physical work ongoing just lots of inspection

3 NBI vans in fedamore village today parked outside the school. Didn't se any work going on so I am assuming that they were surveying.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Seen them working around renville, oranmore on a Saturday. As you say, looks like they're pushing hard to start getting houses connected.

Triangle wrote: »
    Seen them working around renville, oranmore on a Saturday. As you say, looks like they're pushing hard to start getting houses connected.

That's 7 seperate locations I have heard in the Galway deployment area that NBI were working in last Saturday, they're really pulling out all of the stops to get the network up and running by the look of things. All DPs from my house into Galway city are now spliced into the network. I am assuming that all of the houses in the deployment area must be finished before anyone can be connected though so the last pockets of work down little boreens and places seem to be all that needs to be finished. They have all of the side roads around Oranmore done but there is one that a fiend lives on in Carnmore that has seen no DPs spliced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Valentia (Kerry) and Killadoon (Mayo) were pushed back yesterday from Survey Underway to Survey Planned.

It has also emerged in the past week that the majority of the premises currently passed are in the Cavan DA. Of the ~4500 premises passed ~3600 are in Cavan with the remainder in Carrigaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Spillanee

Was onto Pure Telecom and was told that the broadband would be ready to go next week for my house near Renville Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Loads of work going on here outside Tralee today, stringing fibre along long sections of poles coming out from town. It's coming!!!

Spillanee wrote: »
    Was onto Pure Telecom and was told that the broadband would be ready to go next week for my house near Renville Galway.

That's brilliant news! I just sent a private message to Digiweb for an update on my area after reading it. Hopefully I get the same message back!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Spillanee

That's brilliant news! I just sent a private message to Digiweb for an update on my area after reading it. Hopefully I get the same message back!

Was just onto digiweb there to double check it too and they also said July to me although they didn’t give me a specific date like Pure Telecom. I presume it will be a similar case for yourself fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Just got an email from this crowd telling me absolutely nothing.

"Hello FNU,

Our new quarterly update keeps you up to speed on the progress of the NBI™ network for the premises at Eircode: <REMOVED>

Surveying has yet to commence in your area, therefore we are unable to provide an anticipated connection date at this time.

*All dates and status updates are subject to change and are based on our current view of the rollout at this time.

Got a question? We've created a FAQ section on our website, so you can get all the information you require on the spot.

View FAQs

If you have any queries, call our team on 0818 624 624 or email contactus@nbi.ie

Regards,

Peter Hendrick
    CEO National Broadband Ireland"

Brilliant. And it's "Mister" FNU to you....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    Just got an email from this crowd telling me absolutely nothing.

"Hello FNU,

Our new quarterly update keeps you up to speed on the progress of the NBI™ network for the premises at Eircode: <REMOVED>

Surveying has yet to commence in your area, therefore we are unable to provide an anticipated connection date at this time.

*All dates and status updates are subject to change and are based on our current view of the rollout at this time.

Got a question? We've created a FAQ section on our website, so you can get all the information you require on the spot.

View FAQs

If you have any queries, call our team on 0818 624 624 or email contactus@nbi.ie

Regards,

Peter Hendrick
    CEO National Broadband Ireland"

Brilliant. And it's "Mister" FNU to you....

Laughable at this stage.

Hopefully the flood of bad press mixed with them completely missing any semblance of a target will kick them into getting their act together.

Im not even sure what the EOY target is now for them. Went from X to 115k to 70k to 60k and I read earlier this week its now 50-60k houses connected by EOY.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

Just got my quarterly email update and pushed back again. There are now 8 months between the earliest date given and the latter part of the new proposed window. I'm starting to wonder will it ever happen...

Digiweb contacted me to say my rollout date has been pushed back to August, Pure Telecom told me mid-July, NBI then said October but to listen to an ISP if the date is sooner!?? Really sounds like NBI haven't a clue what they are telling ISPs and at this stage i'm going to just assume that it's September/October with the amount of conflicting information going around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Got the same nothing email.
    We cannot give you any info, even if we wanted to.

However did see survey vans close by the last few days so hopefully at least that might get done sooner rather then later!
    Personally I would love some sort of time line, good or bad.
    At least then you could start making some sort of plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

tcif wrote: »
    Just got my quarterly email update and pushed back again. There are now 8 months between the earliest date given and the latter part of the new proposed window. I'm starting to wonder will it ever happen...

Same, pushed back from Aug-Oct to Nov-Jan 2022. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

fifth wrote: »
    Same, pushed back from Aug-Oct to Nov-Jan 2022. :(

At least you have a date :o,
    I got the same email as others
    "Surveying has yet to commence in your area, therefore we are unable to provide an anticipated connection date at this time."

:(

Advertisement