Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

The Cush wrote: »
    They will only get the state subsidy for each house in the intervention area they pass and a subsidy for each house in the intervention area they connect. Passing and connecting premises outside the intervention area involves extra cost and no subsidy.

Cush, out of curiosity do you know if NBI are even allowed to connect homes outside the intervention area, or even homes in the intervention area that OE are now targeting? Hard to see how OpenEir wouldn't kick up a storm on the perception alone that state aid was being used in commercially viable areas. The tactic would be inline with OE previous form after all and the onus would be on NBI to show that they didn't use state funds on such properties which would be nigh on impossible.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

westyIrl wrote: »
    Cush, out of curiosity do you know if NBI are even allowed to connect homes outside the intervention area, or even homes in the intervention area that OE are now targeting?

IIRC there was discussion around this on the other thread last year, I don't remember the exact detail or source but I do remember there was mention of not being allowed to use the subsidy.

and the onus would be on NBI to show that they didn't use state funds on such properties which would be nigh on impossible.

According to the Dept officials at the Oireachtas committees last year the subsidy is only paid in 2 stages, firstly once the premises in the intervention area has been passed and verified and second once the premises has been connected and those payments will be made in batches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Loads of NBI surveying out my neck of woods we're scheduled from NBI site for first quarter 2021 - I know no one knows but It would be great if I saw it for early 2021 -

I posted on another thread before and I still believe High Speed broadband is a modern necessity which I think should be looked at as the same as electrification when Ardnacrusha was built,

I know some here have really poor connections worse than me (16mb down) but last year or so you can see its struggling
    in the house, between two teens, phones, tvs, smarthome items etc.

Fingers crossed NBI deliver on their promises

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

there are white vans with no branding out by my house checking ducting, there is also a KN van with them

went out and asked were they surveying for fibre and the guy confirmed they were checking ducts to see could fibre cables be laid

i am in the NBI intervention area so asked was it Eir or NBI they were surveying for and he said it was Eir

wondering if NBI are using KN for surveying? As my area is not in the Eir rural 300k or the new urban rollout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

BArra wrote: »
    there are white vans with no branding out by my house checking ducting, there is also a KN van with them

went out and asked were they surveying for fibre and the guy confirmed they were checking ducts to see could fibre cables be laid

i am in the NBI intervention area so asked was it Eir or NBI they were surveying for and he said it was Eir

wondering if NBI are using KN for surveying? As my area is not in the Eir rural 300k or the new urban rollout

That is what confuses me about the map on the Roscommon CoCo website, which shows the vast majority of the survey area to be 'Eir'. This isn't just the rural 300k either (although there is an overlap between the 2 maps).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was talking to a neighbour and he's said KN have been around the neighbourhood for the last week (although I havent seen them myself) but great to see at least

I asked again, so its KN van outside surveying my area

Contractor said it was eir urban rollout (which my area isn't listed to get)

So for NBI: It lists they use contractors KN Group, Kelly Group, Actavo, 4Site and Nokia

Am none the wiser if its Eir surveying or NBI o_0

This just could be eir claiming as much ground as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Billydoc

I see that my house in is an ‘Intervention Area’. Does this mean our area will be surveyed? Or does it mean that I may get fibre in the not so distant future....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

BobMc wrote:
    Loads of NBI surveying out my neck of woods we're scheduled from NBI site for first quarter 2021 - I know no one knows but It would be great if I saw it for early 2021 -

where are you located ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

According to the map, I am in the intervention area and my house needs to be surveyed. Is there a place that we can find out when our homes will be surveyed?

Billydoc wrote: »
    I see that my house in is an ‘Intervention Area’. Does this mean our area will be surveyed? Or does it mean that I may get fibre in the not so distant future....

All the NBI areas will be surveyed at some point before they rollout fibre, no schedule for surveying. Go to the NBI website and enter your eircode for the current situation in your area.

Wing126 wrote: »
    According to the map, I am in the intervention area and my house needs to be surveyed. Is there a place that we can find out when our homes will be surveyed?

No published schedule, you could try contacting them via their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

BArra wrote: »
    I asked again, so its KN van outside surveying my area

Contractor said it was eir urban rollout (which my area isn't listed to get)

So for NBI: It lists they use contractors KN Group, Kelly Group, Actavo, 4Site and Nokia

Am none the wiser if its Eir surveying or NBI o_0

Am I missing something, the contractor has told you twice now it's Eir, dont you believe him/her? Online maps/lists may not always be comprehensive or maybe its possible they are transiting your area on the way to somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭Jofspring

KN Van at the opposite end of my road. The Eir lines stop about 300 metres from my house and miss myself and the last 3 houses on the row. Not sure if they are just connecting houses already on the Eir rollout or are they going to survey to add the last few on the road. Out in Grange, Co.Limerick.

dam099 wrote: »
    Am I missing something, the contractor has told you twice now it's Eir, dont you believe him/her? Online maps/lists may not always be comprehensive or maybe its possible they are transiting your area on the way to somewhere else.

correct! i would not be sure the contractor is giving accurate info if they are being utulized by several broadband entities

since i am in an NBI intervention area, and my town is not listed as being a part of the urban ftth rollout, all roads direct me to NBI

i like things black and white, so if eir are going to cover more areas than listed, surely it would be documented

Just went out and asked the KN (Circnet) tech's and they're nearly finished laying the fibre. Said to get on to Eir in the next two weeks and we should be ready to go.

Currently with VF for ADSL - will I be able to stay with them or will I have to go with Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Mc Love wrote: »
    Currently with VF for ADSL - will I be able to stay with them or will I have to go with Eir?

You can stay with them. The easiest way to know when you can avail of it is by checking this website every so often. It's usually updated on Tuesdays.
    https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail/main/YOUREIRCODE/

It will more than likely be more than two weeks though.

Just went out and asked the KN (Circnet) tech's and they're nearly finished laying the fibre. Said to get on to Eir in the next two weeks and we should be ready to go.

so eir, then the eir urban ftth rollout and not NBI for your situation?

is your town listed as a part of the eir urban ftth rollout?

as this is the NBI thread :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah Eir are doing it - i dont believe we were part of the urban ftth as they said up to two weeks ago that the area wasnt commercially viable and now it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Yeah Eir are doing it - i dont believe we were part of the urban ftth as they said up to two weeks ago that the area wasnt commercially viable and now it is!

Has your house been added to the OpenEir fibre rollout map?

dont believe they have a rollout website for urban ftth, only the rural 300k

Cush, out of curiosity do you know if NBI are even allowed to connect homes outside the intervention area, or even homes in the intervention area that OE are now targeting?.
    The Cush wrote: »
    IIRC there was discussion around this on the other thread last year, I don't remember the exact detail or source but I do remember there was mention of not being allowed to use the subsidy.

Found it - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110632384#post110632384

Clause 19 & 37 of the draft NBP agreement refers.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

Xithus wrote: »
    The houses marked say the area will be surveyed. Do you reckon that's just nonsense they've stuck on the website? If they plan on running it on poles they would have to pass by a lot houses in the estate before they got to those, am I mad holding out hope they would wire up the entire estate?

No, I don't believe they will do it. The reason is only a number of the houses are marked as Amber in the DCCAE map, and ultimately that is all that counts. If its not in the DCCAE Map, its not in the intervention area.

NBI will have to run cable in there, but I cannot see them connecting these houses in the short-medium term. The complications this will add to the project would be massive, and I am sure the focus will be delivering on the terms of the contract.

Who knows what they will do in the medium-long term future

Great to hear you're being connected sooner rather than later, are eir now going to be a step ahead of NBI hoovering up those odd or end of line premises they left out of the 300k rollout maybe in hope of getting the NBP contract. I wish they'd do it on our road.

You can go with any of these retailers - https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

So is the surveying going to continue in the counties it is happening in at the moment, or are they sending the crews to other counties to make a start in them?

Orebro wrote: »
    So is the surveying going to continue in the counties it is happening in at the moment, or are they sending the crews to other counties to make a start in them?

IIRC Peter Hendrick said on Newstalk recently surveying will extend to all counties in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I wonder often they will update the website? My house is still "pending survey" but speaking with them on Facebook and an email they replied to, both reps said my area was recently surveyed.

• Advertisement

From NBI on twitter
    May 18

NBI will have a rolling quarterly update on its website showing which premises will be surveyed and passed in the upcoming 18-month period.

https://twitter.com/NatBroadbandIrl/status/1262322082433716225

on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/20531316728/posts/10154009990506729/
    NBI has announced dates for the surveying of almost 100,000 premises – to be surveyed and/or ready for connection in the next 18 months of the NBP rollout.
    All areas must firstly be surveyed to enable designs for laying of the new high speed fibre network. The first of these – for the townlands around Carrigaline in Cork – is now complete, and connections are expected there by end of year.

Advertisement