Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Are there any stats out there for the amount of bandwidth being used by Speedtests similar to the reports you see that Netflix or YouTube are x% of bandwidth usage? Just wondering how much they actually do use up. I would have thought quick bursts wouldn't have that much impact as unlikely to be simultaneous (although if there are a significant number doing them automatically every hour I suppose it might be a problem if they are all on the hour).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

There's another Committee meeting due now (14:00). It's with the Minister this time about mid-term review of estimates.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/cr2-live/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭lukin

I signed up for it last week. Paid the €99 deposit. I wish I had done it sooner because I won't get the kit until next year I'd say (early next year I hope). They are sending it out on a first-come, first-serve basis so there are a lot of people ahead of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dceng2

Killarney DA Update:

I said a few months back that the actual fibre installation wouldn't be happening in Killarney and surrounds until September. 2nd last day of september and they've finally installed the fibre cable... almost, they must finish the side roads in my townland (my own sideroad included) tomorrow, the last day of september. At least they've kept that on target anyway.

It had to be the one day I wasn't at home they'd install it. In fairness I saw the rolls of cable down in Headford early this morning so I knew they were close. With Killarney being November 21 - January 22, we appear to be on track. A first for NBI, something I'll watch with key interest seeing that Tralee was pushed back with fibre and DP's installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorry but this is madness.

Unless your usage of the service is impacted you should go get another hobby rather than monitoring the pipeline on your home broadband. That's an end to nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I saw a lot of activity by NBI on the N22 main road between Killarney and Tralee yesterday also. My own rollout area in Kerry has been pushed out into 2023 from July-December 2022 to April - June 23. I am incredibly skeptical of the project going forward as I don't see the viability or the money provided being near enough.

My own rural house has recently been reconnected to copper after a ferocious battle with Eir to enforce the USO, it made me concentrate more and pay attention to the state of the Eir network locally in my own parish. On the 8km drive from exchange to my house I would say 80-90% of the poles should be replaced and 95% are nearing end of life, the majority need some severe tree and branch cutting and I'm talking heavy chainsaw work not the hedge-trimmer on the back of the tractor as the cables are snagging in many of the spans.

Surely NBI and Local Council's should get actively involved in issuing enforcement notices to landowners ASAP, I got one of them 3 years ago with a threat of court if I didn't cut overhanging trees back or the council would employ someone to do it and bill me. I subsequently have a shed load of firewood and a nice hedge that a local man trims with tractor attachment annually now instead. I had to do this, but why not hit every landowner and farmer likewise, dock their CAP and SFP also for non compliance. It is a road safety issue and would help NBI hugely.

The majority of the poles on my run are 28-30+ years and many are 40+ years I'd say. Alot of the houses are closed or occupied by elderly computer-illiterate people. There is one cul-de-sac road with 3 houses one a holiday home, one rented and another occupied by an octogenarian. The area is covered by 4G and a local crappy wisp providing 5mb, (rented house is a customer) none of the three houses have a landline anymore, a landowner in the area went along some years ago and stole all the poles which would have been a run of 15-20-Eircom poles; selling some and using the rest for fencing, hanging gates etc. I know this from local knowledge.

Now to think NBI will have to come along at enormous expense to run fibre in there and it will never possibly be used, I am not complaining but rather it is an example of how there should a prioritisation of resources, where if one road could generate a high rate of orders it should be connected sooner and allow others also to pay a one-off fee of say €1,000-€2,000 to get Fibre within 3 months like you would have to pay with Irish Water or the ESB. I'm sure alot of us here following would pay it rather than wait especially those 2026 lads. Meanwhile idiots will be passed by NBI and remain on Wisp connections.

The whole thing should haven been built upon the ESB like Siro or at least partially use the ESB network. Every house has an ESB connection unlike having a copper landline anymore, the ESB poles are well maintained and in great shape, there is a good hedge cutting regime in place and poles are usually kept well away from trees unlike Telephone wires which are often entombed in overgrowth and ivy etc. No farmer has stolen ESB poles either unless he wants to get fried. It galls me to see NBI and EIR still using wooden telephone poles when international best practice is to use concrete or metal poles, we have possibly the worst climate for anything wood related, even all railways use concrete sleepers now. Wood poles installed today will be rotten in 30 years wheras concrete would easily last double or treble the time-frame.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Have you considered asking your ISP if you can be a panelist? Then your connection will be directly monitored by NBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Fibre was hung outside my house in the Tipp DA over a month ago and nothing since. No DP, etc. I wouldn't be using go-live date estimates based on the stringing up on fibre. We're due for connection Dec21-Feb 22 and I'm just waiting for it to be pushed out again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

It's impossible to say what road will generate a higher rate of orders though. The Irish water and ESB comparisons are also not really valid. We pay 1000s to get connected quickly because the infrastructure is already in place to connect to. The water pipes are in the ground and the ESB pylons /poles are already in the fields. With NBI the whole point is that they have to build that equivalent infrastructure. And they can't build it for high uptake roads here and there. They need to start from the local exchange and work out from there for ~20km .

I take your point about the wooden poles though. Presumably replacing timber with concrete would be up to openeir and would cost even more than the ~900 million that's already been earmarked for them.

• Advertisement

That's something I wasn't aware of and I think I'll look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

Are you being serious? You expect a full 1Gb pipe working at 100% throughput, 24/7 365, into your home for 50 quid a month? The issue here is that you don't understand the tech rather than there being anything actually wrong. Do you know how much a guaranteed 1Gb dedicated connection would cost if you really needed one?

I think a 1Gb pipe dropping to 50Mb/s and ping going from 12ms up to 80ms is unacceptable yes. You're right, I don't understand the tech because there is little to no transparency about contention provided. I have no idea how big or small the pipe is that I'm lumped on with all my neighbours.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Now you're saying 50Mb/s when your original post said 100Mb/s to 300Mb/s - Which is it?

Speedtests are unreliable , depending on which one you use , which node you connect to etc. you'll see significant variability in the results.

I could open 3 or 4 different Speed test applications and run them all one after the other and get completely different results from each.

The bottom line is though , is your ability to do what you want to do being impacted?

Do XBox games lag ? Is Netflix dropping the resolution rates etc.?

If your actual real-world usage isn't impacted , then a speed test result is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This issue with using Telecom Eireann poles (and that's what they are, they date back to TE) is a scandal that will come back to haunt this scheme. There's been absolutely minimal maintenance on these poles in the last decade and more in our area - why would Eir invest in them when customers are giving up landlines in favour of mobile deals? I just can't figure it out, who would make such an obvious and stupid call?

As for burying cable, I came across three lads and a digger doing just this recently for NBI. They were on what could only be called a dirt road that ran for over a kilometre in off a public road - all this to connect a holiday house :( At a guess, they'd been at it for 2 or 3 days. So this type of carry on explains the snail rate progress to roll out to populated rural areas with people who actually would use the service on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

What is meant by a rural ribbon? - seen this referenced a few times now.

Im part of a FTTC area that has speeds below 30Mb and its coming up on Eirs site that we are part of their Fibre upgrade plan despite our estate being in the IA. Is that considered a ribbon?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

[]

Post edited by The Cush on

No idea what it means. One interpretation could mean a stretch of road like mine which is surrounded by Eir fibre, so instead of NBI having to travel many miles just to do us, they get Eir to take care of it by extending theirs at much less expense. Who knows what they mean though!

Yes, I got a new low since then.

Yes, the speed at which I can download heavy datasets for work is impacted, games lag and VC latency is choppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

You say your neighbour is affected also. Are they with Digiweb too? I think it is very unlikely the fault is in the NBI part of the chain. There is hardly anyone on the network nationwide and it is not likely that your area would be heavily subscribed yet.

That leaves Digiweb or your testing regimen. Assuming you're using Speedtest.net I'd be tesing against multiple servers at the times you are seeing issues to rule out peering issues and to confirm the issue.

If you are consistently seeing 50Mb/s down on a 1Gb/s line at peak times I'd be complaining to Digiweb and I certainly would not be paying the extra over having a 500Mb/s connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

That would be my interpretation also. The bits at the ends of the various eir 300k builds which might take kilometres of NBI fibre versus hundreds of metres of eir fibre to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Nbi, jeep outside my gaff at the mo, don't know what he's at just sitting there

Poor f*****s will think I'm stalking em!!

I have one neighbour on this road affected and another a couple km away with Nova also affected. He notices it on Netflix. During that period, Netflix buffers longer than usual and starts at a lower bitrate. Of course, 50Mb/s is ample for Netflix. But I've ruled out it being the speed test service, the effects are observable with all web traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I'll bet you if you went out and asked "When am I getting connected?" they'd say "Oh I'd say 4 or 5 weeks" 😆 Standard stock answer these days

All due respect but your story keeps changing to meet your narrative. too many variables here too like your own equipment and setup, e.g. someone complaining their Netflix is buffering is hardly reason to blame an ISP, it could just as easily be a WiFi issue in the home.

I got updates!!

I did go out and fair play to your man he was very helpful. Said within 2 months will have it. Now I have a feeling thus guy knows, why you may say, he said there were three ribbons A, B and C. He said A was out the racecourse in Roscommon which has gone live and will be handed over next week. He said I am in C which they are doing next which extends from Roscommon hospital out to Lecarrow.

If a neighbour tells me their Netflix is only buffering between those peak times and fine outside of those, it's hardly pointing towards a wifi issue exclusively. What variables are you talking about? My own setup is wired gigabit ethernet that I've bandwidth tested locally, i.e. between devices on the network myself, to confirm local connectivity isn't an issue. If Netflix/Prime/Apple TV buffering is observed, poor speed and ping tests are observed, extra latency is observed in VC and games, repeatedly, every day around the same time, only between those times, when there are no other active devices on my home network, the only common denominator is the external internet supply. What part of my story is changing exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Sounds like he knew what he was talking about alright......Put a new Smart TV on the January sales shopping list 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Hi, did he say where B was?? I am in the same aea and just gone on Pre Order :):):):)

Advertisement