Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Finally managed to get NBI ordered today......my story was I was building my house when they were doing their surveys a year or more ago so I had no eircode. I was in the Carrigaline area that was first one of the first to go live a few weeks ago. Anyway emailing them to get me on their system they said it would take 2 years, even though the fibre was live at my door. Anyway to make a long story short I had to go through some back back channels within NBI as we had some high level contacts within NBI and they got us sorted.

Signed up with Pure telecom as they seem keen to get the NBI customers and getting the 1Gb package. Moving into my new build house in just under 2 weeks so its all falling into place😁

I have ducting to the nearest pole with draw rope to my ETU box, on the inside of the ETU I have a double power socket for the ONT and 2 CAT6 points that go back to my IT cabinet and this is will then connect to my Dream Machine Pro. This should be one of their easiest installs....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

NBI upgrading the speeds of its top 2 products from Jan 1st next according to revised documents published on their site.

Consumer Elite - 1 Gbps -> 2 Gbps (D), 100 Mbps -> 200 Mbps (U)

Business Enterprise - 1 Gbps -> 2 Gbps (D), 200 Mbps -> 400 Mbps (U)

Wholesale price remains unchanged for the 2 products

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

They'll probably upgrade my installation date from 5 years time to 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Anyone have any info on the Dundalk DA? All gone quiet since it went to Pre-Order. Has anyone had an update from their ISP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Looks like the top tier 2Gbps option is now €5 cheaper than the previous top tier (even though it looks like it wasn't on sale).

An extra €10 a month (€26 -> €36) to go from 500/50 to 2000/200 ? That's pretty impressive, however redundant the extra bandwidth will be for basically everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Given that virtually no consumer has the equipment or cabling to consume a 2Gb/s connection , what's the point?

Could it be for business connections primarily with just a matching consumer option if required?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Presumably they'll provide the necessary wifi/router combo that the vast majority of people will use, and it would have a 2.5G ethernet port and 802.11ax. Yes the clients in the house need to support it, but if you bought a phone or laptop in the last 12-18 months, there's a strong chance you do already.

Look I'm laughing at the idea of being able to stream 125 4K HDR Netflix streams simultaneously in my house, don't get me wrong. It's absolutely insane.

The only time I can think of when I'd want that bandwidth is for an initial Steam download or IOS updates. And even then, I seriously doubt they're going to be pushing data at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

NBI vans pulling fibre (only now) at Emmoo cross on the N63 (Roscommon) Ribbon E. Due dates NOV-JAN 2022. Still, network build in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Keepitclean

Sorry to hear that Strettie11, but at least you know its there just a matter of some ground works. Hopefully it will be sorted soon for you.

Still waiting on confirmation of when it's going live in Ballinasloe. Preorder has been in since April 29th so 160days.

NBI and digiweb cannot give a date so not looking good for this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

I got a little NBI info book in the post today that explains the rollout and "you recieved this because you are in an area not being served" etc.. no info and date of 2025-2026 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Same time as myself on pre order, I've seen a few vans around the last 2 days, not on my road but the next one, hopefully make their way up out one this week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Great stuff but I'll be shocked if they install the ONT in the ETU box. It'll need to be in an indoor location. If it was an eir FTTH install it would be a definite no but NBI might be more flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

No the ONT will be installed inside the house, meant to say the internal wall to the ETU.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Does it have to be "near" the ETU or or can it ne next to the current telecom "master" socket?

No, in the documents they say 1m from where it enters the house, but as we se from the posts here they are flexible.

DP installation today in Portrunny - Roscommon (Ribbon C) More work on the Lanesboro Road running fibre (Ribbon E)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 moc1985

Got a call off Digiweb today to advise that my address Cappataggle ballinasloe is due to go live on 1st November

Does anyone know from experience in the other rollout areas, if they wait for all of the ribbons in a deployment area to be finished before they go live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

-- For the Record --

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/politics/rural-tds-calling-for-300-suckler-cow-support-in-budget-40921858.html

[The group of Rural Independent TDs] wants to expedite the delivery of the national broadband plan across rural Ireland, with a deadline at the end of 2022, instead of the grossly unacceptable 2027 (or longer) government target.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

As much as we would all love it, thats pie in the sky dreaming unfortunately. Doubt its even physically possible if everyone said yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

welp just discovered I'm down for install in december 2025 to january 2026 and I'm in fecking kildare 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

No, they can launch them individually as they are separate from each other. There is also no need for them to build and launch in the A..B..C..D etc. order as can be seen in Limerick where they seem to have launched ribbon D before the others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

So from January the NBI will be the fastest available broadband in Ireland with 2 gigs download and 400 upload available to those who want it/who can afford it. I'd imagine Eir's urban IFN can also do this if they wanted since it supports up to 10 gigs currently. Siro and Eir's rural FTTH is still gpon and limited to 940mb download speeds. I can see Siro eventually upgrading to 10 gig capable connections but cannot see Eir upgrading the rural FTTH network to speeds beyond 1 gig for a long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Jaysus, you'd need to employ half the country to get it done that quick.....

Where do I sign up? 😂

In all seriousness I'd settle for 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have to find it very bloody amusing. TDs and home owners who had no interest in this whole thing 5 years ago. Didn't bother reading any news on it. Didn't look at the plans. Couldn't care less what went on with EIR etc are now suddenly interested in it. Giving out about roll outs concerned now because their constituents are suddenly noticing one of the biggest infrastructure plans in the history of the state.

Absolutely gas. And all their poxy interference does nothing but slow it down. Maybe they should spend the time locally insuring road closures and planning for poles etc is expedited and fluid and being realistic with their constituents. That would be time better spent that working groups and nonsense committees.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'd imagine Eir's urban IFN can also do this if they wanted since it supports up to 10 gigs currently.

A 2Gb product will be available on the IFN in the coming weeks. It will be interesting to see which ISPs offer a retail version. I can't wait for the "why can't I get two gig on my phone?" posts.

Speaking to an OpenEir Tech during the week who works exclusively on fiber but currently is in a managerial role.

He was telling me that they are currently waiting on laptops and equipment to test and prove 10 gigabit fiber connections and launching soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Actavo fibre splicing van outside my gaff now!

Advertisement