Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Hopefully speeding up the tail end of the NBP means accelerating the initial deployment by a month or two. Purely selfish I know but would be great to be guaranteed fiber this side of Christmas in the areas marked Dec 2020-Feb 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

The Cush wrote:
    The total amount spent on the National Broadband Plan over the past five years is €40,427,264 (including VAT).

although I dont support flahulock spending since this project has actually borne fruit I think it's well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

TheSegal wrote: »
    Hopefully speeding up the tail end of the NBP means accelerating the initial deployment by a month or two. Purely selfish I know but would be great to be guaranteed fiber this side of Christmas in the areas marked Dec 2020-Feb 2021.

Where do you check the time for the area that your in ?, is it to do with the Lot number ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

J0hnick wrote: »
    Where do you check the time for the area that your in ?, is it to do with the Lot number ?.

Enter your eircode on the NBI website, if surveying is underway it will give an indicative rollout date.

The Cush wrote: »
    Enter your eircode on the NBI website, if surveying is underway it will give an indicative rollout date.

Thanks, showing in dark blue/purple at the moment.

• Advertisement

Thanks, showing in dark blue/purple at the moment.

Is that on the Dept's NBP intervention map, the NBI map will indicate something like "Pending Survey"

Is that on the Dept's NBP intervention map, the NBI map will indicate something like "Pending Survey"

I went here

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Go to nbi.ie and pop your eircode in there.

Majority of areas are "premises pending survey". They mentioned on social thatd they'd be updating quarterly but reps have said "in the coming weeks it will be updated" so not sure when we will see the next batch of updates.

I've been told my area was recently surveyed but it hasn't changed from the pending survey message.

"Your premises is not in the Intervention Area, as other service providers operate there."

Which is true, everyone else in my estate has fiber to the cabinet just outside the entrance to the estate and then copper to each house, average speed of 90MB. But the situation I'm in is that our cable is damaged (we had a working cable but an engineer swapped it with our neighbor just before we bought the house) and there are no spare cables left, and we've just been told by Eir's provisioning team they may not fix it as its going to cost too much :mad:. That's the short version, you can read the long version below

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058036755

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

joe123 wrote:
    I've been told my area was recently surveyed but it hasn't changed from the pending survey message.

I'm in the same boat, my house was surveyed last Monday, I was talking to the surveyor but all he could tell me was to look up the NBI website. What would the possible time line be for fibre if my house was surveyed, the website is giving no update.

• Advertisement

"Your premises is not in the Intervention Area, as other service providers operate there."

Unfortunately the NBP isn't for you, the only option you have is for open-eir to repair the line or avail of a wireless option until such time as eir or SIRO decide to run fibre to your area.

Unfortunately the NBP isn't for you, the only option you have is for open-eir to repair the line or avail of a wireless option until such time as eir or SIRO decide to run fibre to your area.

I work from home and they only allow Cable (not available in that area) or ADSL, they don't allow wireless LTE broadband.

I work from home and they only allow Cable (not available in that area) or ADSL, they don't allow wireless LTE broadband.

How about an LTE router for one of the mobile networks with internal aerial if the signal is good enough?

fennor72 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, my house was surveyed last Monday, I was talking to the surveyor but all he could tell me was to look up the NBI website. What would the possible time line be for fibre if my house was surveyed, the website is giving no update.

No idea unfortunately. The first surveyed houses were given a Dec 2020 - Feb 2021 timeline, so my optimistic guess would be roughly this time next year. I find myself checking the website near daily for any form of update.

No idea if it works this way though. Does first surveyed means first to get connected and continues this way.

If you message them.on facebook or email them, they may be able to give you some idea for your area. They are pretty quick to respond.

How about an LTE router for one of the mobile networks with internal aerial if the signal is good enough?

Nope, has to be a wired connection, the only exception they allow if you have no other option is line of sight. I don't know if its possible to get that in Co Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

Which is true, everyone else in my estate has fiber to the cabinet just outside the entrance to the estate and then copper to each house, average speed of 90MB. But the situation I'm in is that our cable is damaged (we had a working cable but an engineer swapped it with our neighbor just before we bought the house) and there are no spare cables left, and we've just been told by Eir's provisioning team they may not fix it as its going to cost too much :mad:. That's the short version, you can read the long version below

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058036755

Technically not Comreg's area but might be worth contacting comreg to see if they can do anything to help

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That EIR main road line be fixed quick smart if it was dug up by road works and damaged.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

rounders wrote: »
    Technically not Comreg's area but might be worth contacting comreg to see if they can do anything to help

I wouldn't bother. Your best bet is to lobby your local TD, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

NBI surveyors back in Ballinasloe again this week.

3 weeks ago they did the pole survey. This time they spent the week doing an undergroung survey. Ducts, manholes, chambers etc., both Eir and Enet.

Fair crew of them in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

I'm assuming that doesn't include the ducts into people's property and only road side ones that will carry the main fiber line? As far as I can see it's all poles on my road and the surrounding roads that are covered in the first phase so I doubt I'll be seeing anymore surveyors for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

TheSegal wrote: »
    I'm assuming that doesn't include the ducts into people's property and only road side ones that will carry the main fiber line? As far as I can see it's all poles on my road and the surrounding roads that are covered in the first phase so I doubt I'll be seeing anymore surveyors for a while

Yeah. Just the main fibre carrying ducts.
    In most of the rural roll-out it will be poles alright but these duct surveys are being carried out in urban/non intervention areas. Presumably it's to survey the 'route out' to rural from exchanges, fibre backhaul connection points etc.

Today there were a few NBI vans at the Eir exchange.

Good overview here of the NBP Governance Structure and contract, extracted from a recent tender document

DCCAE-NBP-Governance-Structure-31-Jan2020.jpg

NBP GOVERNANCE STRUCTURE

The NBP Governance Structure is led by the NBP Senior Management Team (SMT), reporting to the DCCAE Communications Assistant Secretary, and comprises the Programme Director, the Chief Technology Officer, 2 Principal Officers and the Commercial Lead. The SMT supports all functional areas. The successful tenderer will be required to work closely with the SMT, DCCAE’s internal team and other external legal and technical advisors that either will or have been appointed.

DCCAE’s NBP Governance Structure is illustrated. The SMT will be responsible for the day-to-day management and governance of the delivery of the NBP Contract by NBI, management of the engagement with stakeholders and reporting to DCCAE senior management and the Minister on progress.

An update (if you could call it that on Galway Bay) https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/recently-surveyed-areas-of-galway-expected-to-have-broadband-by-february/
    Galway Senator Seán Kyne says many areas of Galway have been among the first in the country to be surveyed by National Broadband Ireland with workers on the ground since January.

Areas surveyed during this time include Bearna, Boleybeg, Bushypark, Corcullen, Na Forbacha and parts of Moycullen including Tooreeney and Clooniffe in Connemara.

Others include Carnmore, Annaghdown, Corrandulla, Claregalway, Lackagh, Turloughmore, Castlegar, Oranmore, Maree, Renville and Clarinbridge.

Nearer the city surveying has taken place at Ballindooley, Menlo, Rosshill and Roscam.

Senator Kyne says the Covid-19 crisis has emphasised the urgent need for broadband in rural communities:

Guess "Phase 1" of areas are in that Dec 2020 - Feb 2021 timeline now. I think thats whats frustrating a lot of people, these random spots in counties being surveyed, and other areas not mentioned at all.

Im still clinging on to the hope that Hazel/John were right and my area was recently surveyed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

joe123 wrote: »
    An update (if you could call it that on Galway Bay) https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/recently-surveyed-areas-of-galway-expected-to-have-broadband-by-february/

Guess "Phase 1" of areas are in that Dec 2020 - Feb 2021 timeline now. I think thats whats frustrating a lot of people, these random spots in counties being surveyed, and other areas not mentioned at all.

Im still clinging on to the hope that Hazel/John were right and my area was recently surveyed :o

I think they're trying to get to the higher density areas early so as to reduce the temptation for OE to encroach on them, which is fair enough I suppose. I am like you also, no sign of any NBI developments any further out than Moycullen from what I've seen so will probably be waiting until after these areas are done. It gives me hope that they are appearing to move at pace so far. I just hope it translates into the actual roll out.

Jim

westyIrl wrote: »
    I think they're trying to get to the higher density areas early so as to reduce the temptation for OE to encroach on them, which is fair enough I suppose. I am like you also, no sign of any NBI developments any further out than Moycullen from what I've seen so will probably be waiting until after these areas are done. It gives me hope that they are appearing to move at pace so far. I just hope it translates into the actual roll out.

Jim

Yeah looking at the areas being listed so far and with actual timelines on the map, its very much in a circular fashion it seems to be. You can nearly draw a circle perimeter around Galway, Moycullen and Annaghdown furthest out this side from what I can see so far.

Like you said, if it actually translates to rollout then great. Being entirely selfish I just hope its not a case of X% of Galway surveyed, we now move on to a new batch of counties and then come back a few years down the road. Or X town has been surveyed, but rollout will be in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

We were surveyed today, just outside Tralee. The engineer reckoned 18 months til we're connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

joe123 wrote: »
    Yeah looking at the areas being listed so far and with actual timelines on the map, its very much in a circular fashion it seems to be. You can nearly draw a circle perimeter around Galway, Moycullen and Annaghdown furthest out this side from what I can see so far.

Like you said, if it actually translates to rollout then great. Being entirely selfish I just hope its not a case of X% of Galway surveyed, we now move on to a new batch of counties and then come back a few years down the road. Or X town has been surveyed, but rollout will be in 3 years.

The reason it looks like they are moving out in a circular fashion is because in order to serve Clifden (not too familiar with Galway just pulled it off a map) they must run the line out from Galway so they need to survey these areas first to work out how to get it out there and then they will work out from there. The CEO was on a Newstalk podcast talking about the roll out approach. Think it was there I heard this from
    https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/tech-talk-with-jess-kelly/exclusive-broadband-plan-can-delivered-budget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Some recent articles that popped up:
    https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/2020/06/02/over-11000-premises-have-no-broadband/

https://connachttribune.ie/recently-surveyed-areas-of-galway-expected-to-have-broadband-by-february/

The second article is a Galway Bay FM press blurb whose content has largely already been reference in previous comments here

rounders wrote: »
    The reason it looks like they are moving out in a circular fashion is because in order to serve Clifden (not too familiar with Galway just pulled it off a map) they must run the line out from Galway so they need to survey these areas first to work out how to get it out there and then they will work out from there. The CEO was on a Newstalk podcast talking about the roll out approach. Think it was there I heard this from
    https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/tech-talk-with-jess-kelly/exclusive-broadband-plan-can-delivered-budget

Yeah he mentioned on that podcast everything works from a city out so likely this is how they are doing it. I'm 10km away (on a main road) from "Dec 2020 - Feb 2021" areas. Hopefully they'll at least update the website soon.

If what the engineer in Tralee said is accurate, then maybe my hope of a being connected this time next year was too optimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

xxyyzz wrote: »
    We were surveyed today, just outside Tralee. The engineer reckoned 18 months til we're connected.

I saw the NBI Van yesterday on the main Killarney-Tralee road before you turn off onto the old road over towards Castleisland and Earl of Desmond.

Advertisement