Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

rounders wrote: »
    The reason it looks like they are moving out in a circular fashion is because in order to serve Clifden (not too familiar with Galway just pulled it off a map) they must run the line out from Galway so they need to survey these areas first to work out how to get it out there and then they will work out from there. The CEO was on a Newstalk podcast talking about the roll out approach. Think it was there I heard this from
    https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/tech-talk-with-jess-kelly/exclusive-broadband-plan-can-delivered-budget

I'm not so sure if that is their entire reasoning. ENET have a MANS built up in Clifden already so I'm assuming they would be building out from that as Clifden is also listed as one of NBI's OLT locations. Whether they have the level of backhaul in place necessary to deal with the NBP rollout is another matter though. I do take your point though, they will have to build out backhaul to many areas before they can serve these immediate areas. Building out from the more densely populated areas like Galway will get the cash flowing early and also minimise losses to other operators. It's evident they are prioritising resources.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

It is really annoying to be on a road just outside 3 towns with fibre and being stuck on fixed wireless for years. About 3-4km from each town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    It is really annoying to be on a road just outside 3 towns with fibre and being stuck on fixed wireless for years. About 3-4km from each town

try being 600 metres from the end of the eir rollout , they rolled out of my village as far as 3 old farmhouses, nobody living in them, my house is next in line , with 5 families beside me, they really never looked at the rollout map at all, unfortunately sligo seems to be overlooked and i cant see sligo being prioritized anytime soon, the wild west is always forgotten about :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

St. Westy wrote: »
    try being 600 metres from the end of the eir rollout , they rolled out of my village as far as 3 old farmhouses, nobody living in them, my house is next in line , with 5 families beside me, they really never looked at the rollout map at all, unfortunately sligo seems to be overlooked and i cant see sligo being prioritized anytime soon, the wild west is always forgotten about :rolleyes:

Try 100m!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

NBI has published its Bitstream and VUA Technical Manual - https://nbi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/NBI-Bitstream-and-VUA-Product-Technical-Manual-v1.1.1.pdf

The ONT they are using is a Nokia XS-010X-A
    The Technical Specification for the Nokia XS-010X-A ONT is as follows:

• Integrated XGS-PON optics on board (supporting 10G/10G symmetric. PON)
    • Auto-negotiation with 1 x LAN 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G Base-T interface with an RJ-45 connector
    • Network demarcation for all services
    • Mux and demux functions to the PON
    • Optical to electrical conversion
    • Optics that support received signal strength indication (RSSI)
    • FEC (Forward Error Correction) in both upstream and downstream connections
    • FCS (Frame Check Sequence) error counter
    • G.988 standards compliance for ONT management and provisioning
    • Standards-based CMAC (OMCI/PLOAM)

515341.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

padraig.od wrote: »
    Try 100m!!

150m from a connected home who are using it right now.
    We got a date for Dec 2020-Feb 2021. There is hope....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

The Cush wrote: »
    NBI has published its Bitstream and VUA Technical Manual

10G Base-T Ethernet - very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

user1842 wrote: »
    10G Base-T Ethernet - very nice.

Future proof for that 10Gbps fiber upgrade :D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

10Gbps sounds like such an insane amount of bandwidth for anyone to ever need! But you can be sure that when it arrives i'll probably sign up for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

There's little about that particular Nokia XS-010X-A on the web. It looks like it has been superceded by the XS-020X-A. Did anyone else find any further information about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

There's little about that particular Nokia XS-010X-A on the web. It looks like it has been superceded by the XS-020X-A. Did anyone else find any further information about it?

Access to information on a lot of Nokia gear requires you to sign a NDA. That's also the reason, that they aren't really used that much. Hence not much info out there.

/M

Could it be that the 010X model is a customer specific solution, Nokia are after all part of the NBI consortium?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Could it be that the 010X model is a customer specific solution, Nokia are after all part of the NBI consortium?
    That's a possibility alright, could be a different model number for the same product across different solution partners too.
    Either way, it seems to have some decent future proofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

At the risk of sounding stupid, when this is finally rolled out will the NBI be a wholesaler and lease the lines to ISP's who we will have to deal with or will the NBI be an ISP in its own right?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

xxyyzz wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding stupid, when this is finally rolled out will the NBI be a wholesaler and lease the lines to ISP's who we will have to deal with or will the NBI be an ISP in its own right?

NBI is going to be strictly wholesaler only so as a consumer you'll still work with Eir, sky etc. as ISP

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

xxyyzz wrote: »

NBI will be a wholesaler only, except in the circumstance where no other ISP is willing to serve a premises (NBI would be ISP of last resort). It will be interesting to see if many such instances occur as the NBP is rolled out.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

westyIrl wrote: »
    NBI will be a wholesaler only, except in the circumstance where no other ISP is willing to serve a premises (NBI would be ISP of last resort). It will be interesting to see if many such instances occur as the NBP is rolled out.

Jim
    Interesting, did not know this!

From a ISP point of view though, would the location of a property make an difference to the cost of them selling the service to end up in a scenario where they won't serve someone?

My understanding is that the ISP will just pay a set per property rental fee regardless of the location of the property!

Only reason I could think of Sky for example not wanting to setup someone in the back and beyonds would be that they might not have technicians in the area to hook them up first day

Interesting, did not know this!

Clause 19 (Wholesale Products) of the NBP contract refers, see the contract summary here in the Dept's aide-mémoire to the Oireachtas Communications Committee last July

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110632384#post110632384
    From a ISP point of view though, would the location of a property make an difference to the cost of them selling the service to end up in a scenario where they won't serve someone?

I believe some ISPs like Airwire aren't available from all exchanges due to the costs involved , Marlow, ED E et al will be able to give a definitive answer.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113506793#post113506793
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113561928#post113561928
    My understanding is that the ISP will just pay a set per property rental fee regardless of the location of the property!

The wholesale monthly charge, e,g, the 150 Mbps product will be €30 + VAT, but that's just one piece of the overall cost to the ISP.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113506065#post113506065
    https://nbi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/NBI-Reference-Offer-Bitstream-and-VUA-v1.1.2.pdf
    Only reason I could think of Sky for example not wanting to setup someone in the back and beyonds would be that they might not have technicians in the area to hook them up first day

Sky technicians won't be connecting customers it'll be NBI or one of their contractors, similar to how open-eir do it on their FTTH network. Part of the government's NBP subsidy is paid to NBI per premises connected. The wholesale connection charge to ISPs will be around €100 + VAT.

https://nbi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/NBI-Reference-Offer-Bitstream-and-VUA-v1.1.2.pdf (page 60)

Would be nice if sky did offers for people with sky tv, I’ve had tv from them for ages and I’d be up for adding broadband too if it was cheaper than the others, last 2 nights nova has been shocking barely 1mb 480p YouTube buffering.

The wait is going to be awful if the internet demands don’t ease up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Would be nice if sky did offers for people with sky tv, I’ve had tv from them for ages and I’d be up for adding broadband too if it was cheaper than the others, last 2 nights nova has been shocking barely 1mb 480p YouTube buffering.

The wait is going to be awful if the internet demands don’t ease up

I presume your resting your router to try and get better results

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    I presume your resting your router to try and get better results

Yeah I turn the router off at night just gone to crap this weekend, actually been mostly fine during the lockdown mostly above 30mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

westyIrl wrote: »
    I'm not so sure if that is their entire reasoning. ENET have a MANS built up in Clifden already so I'm assuming they would be building out from that as Clifden is also listed as one of NBI's OLT locations. Whether they have the level of backhaul in place necessary to deal with the NBP rollout is another matter though. I do take your point though, they will have to build out backhaul to many areas before they can serve these immediate areas. Building out from the more densely populated areas like Galway will get the cash flowing early and also minimise losses to other operators. It's evident they are prioritising resources.

Jim

According to the NBI site, areas around Galway will have service by next Feb!!
    https://nbi.ie/news/latest/2020/06/04/recently-surveyed-areas-of-galway-expected-to-have-broadband-by-february/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Pique wrote: »
    According to the NBI site, areas around Galway will have service by next Feb!!
    https://nbi.ie/news/latest/2020/06/04/recently-surveyed-areas-of-galway-expected-to-have-broadband-by-february/

Its only specific areas that will be connected. I double checked this with NBI. My area has been recently surveyed but hasnt been updated on the website. They said its likely the install date for these areas surveyed but not showing on the website will likely be later than the Dec - Feb timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

joe123 wrote: »
    Its only specific areas that will be connected. I double checked this with NBI. My area has been recently surveyed but hasnt been updated on the website. They said its likely the install date for these areas surveyed but not showing on the website will likely be later than the Dec - Feb timeline

How are you managing to get specific answers from NBI? I emailed them with my Eircode to ask if it's due to be surveyed anytime soon and they just replied with the usual generic email, not addressing my question.

Orebro wrote: »
    How are you managing to get specific answers from NBI? I emailed them with my Eircode to ask if it's due to be surveyed anytime soon and they just replied with the usual generic email, not addressing my question.

If you message them on Facebook they are pretty quick to reply. Seems to be a Hazel or a John. I also emailed them to double check and got a quick reply, both confirming my area had been surveyed but not able to confirm timeline or when the website will be next updated.

Even a loose date would be good so I sort of know what Im looking at. I understand they probably dont want to tie themselves to targets if they cant always be met.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

joe123 wrote: »
    If you message them on Facebook they are pretty quick to reply. Seems to be a Hazel or a John. I also emailed them to double check and got a quick reply, both confirming my area had been surveyed but not able to confirm timeline or when the website will be next updated.

Even a loose date would be good so I sort of know what Im looking at. I understand they probably dont want to tie themselves to targets if they cant always be met.

I think the granularity of their response may depend on where your area sits in the schedule. When I ask re my Eircode (South Kildare), I just get a standard response to the effect that they'll get here when they get here...

I was hoping for a rough indication of when surveying is scheduled to start in this county.

I know it will happen when it happens, but it's only natural to want to get some idea of a timeline.
    Dear Dero,

Thanks so much for reaching out via e-mail and social media.

National Broadband Ireland (NBI) have started the first surveys for the National Broadband Plan (NBP). These are being undertaken in Cork and Galway, and will shortly commence in Limerick and Cavan. When surveys are completed in each deployment area, this will enable low level designs for fibre rollout there. If you can sign up to our newsletter https://nbi.ie/eoi/ we will update you when surveying is happening in your area.

Kind regards,

John

Customer Service Agent

www.nbi.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

according to a post on Instagram by NBI they are now surveying in carlow

so I would assume that kildare would follow suit soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

fergus1001 wrote: »
    according to a post on Instagram by NBI they are now surveying in carlow

so I would assume that kildare would follow suit soon enough

Yeah, I saw that about Carlow alright. Looking at it dispassionately I know it will happen at some point. Having said that, if I was dispassionate about it I wouldn't be in this thread/forum in the first place... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Dero wrote:
    Yeah, I saw that about Carlow alright. Looking at it dispassionately I know it will happen at some point. Having said that, if I was dispassionate about it I wouldn't be in this thread/forum in the first place...

I'm in south kildare too Hazel actually told me shes a kildare native so she wants it going here asap too

• Advertisement

Dero wrote: »
    Yeah, I saw that about Carlow alright. Looking at it dispassionately I know it will happen at some point. Having said that, if I was dispassionate about it I wouldn't be in this thread/forum in the first place... :D

Trying to say the same myself but I find myself checking their website nearly every day and thinking, well if they surveyed 10km down the road and are getting it between Dec - Feb and NBI said my area has been surveyed, then surely it will happen soon.

It's the hope that kills you!!

Advertisement