Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

joe123 wrote:
    It's the hope that kills you!!

I've been following this since pat rabbitte announced this I can wait another year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Posted on NBI's Facebook page today.
    National Broadband Ireland have completed surveying parts of Cork, Galway, Cavan, Limerick and Wexford for the #NationalBroadbandPlan roll-out. We are now surveying in Carlow, Kerry, Roscommon, Westmeath and Monaghan. As we continue design surveys across the across the country we want to keep you updated about the rollout in your area. The first townlands around Carrigaline in Co. Cork will be connected to the high-speed fibre network later this year! #BuildingaLimitlessIreland

So it looks like they are only surveying parts of each county and then moving on. And the NBI map still not updated :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

“Parts” is a disgrace basically means anything actually rural and not a few metres outside a town are out of luck.

Gonna be stuck with fixed wireless till 2027 I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Luckily for me I'm in the townlands near Carrigaline, hopefully they'll get started soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Luckily for me I'm in the townlands near Carrigaline, hopefully they'll get started soon!

Same, hype!

• Advertisement

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    “Parts” is a disgrace basically means anything actually rural and not a few metres outside a town are out of luck.

What counts as rural for you? I'm over 7km from the nearest exchange, end of the ESB line and on well water and I'm getting fiber this year.

I’m 3 km outside 3 towns that have fibre and no clue when I’ll get it, it is a tad frustrating. I do have a decent 50mb wireless connection but congestion at night since covid started has been awful.

I waiting on fibre so I can upgrade my stuff to 4k and enjoy 4k Netflix at night without issues.

Where are you located mp3guy that sounds very lucky considering how far out you are

Im in a town, 20 minutes outside Galway City. 500M down the road they have FTTH. Also 10km from an area on the NBI map thats been given the Dec - Feb 21 timeline.

Cabinet that was recently upgraded can give us speeds of "up to 15Mb" as FTTC :rolleyes: and vodafone said there is no point in switching me over as any improvement is minimal (if any)

Has anyone noticed the NBI map actually be updated since the original update about three weeks ago? Afaik its only been updated once. Those of us in counties surveyed and now told that survey has been complete for said county really creates more questions than answers. If I hadnt been told by the NBI reps that my area was in fact surveyed, Id be even more in the dark than I already am.

It’s been handled badly imo have the survey results put up as each area is finished to give people an idea of what’s going on instead of holding the information back for months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

[HTML][/HTML]

I'm about 7km as the crow flies from the center of carrigaline and their website is saying that I should be connected by end of this year or early next next year so its more than a few meters its looking like a big enough area.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement

I’m 3 km outside 3 towns that have fibre and no clue when I’ll get it, it is a tad frustrating. I do have a decent 50mb wireless connection but congestion at night since covid started has been awful.

I waiting on fibre so I can upgrade my stuff to 4k and enjoy 4k Netflix at night without issues.

Where are you located mp3guy that sounds very lucky considering how far out you are

That sounds pretty annoying. Wireless is really awful.

Townlands outside Carrigaline, just the luck of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I passed by the currently closed Parkview Hotel in Newtownmountkennedy, Co Wicklow during the week and I noticed that the car park was full of National Broadband Ireland vehicles - vans of various shapes and sizes.

Is north east wicklow part of the fibre broadband rollout? It would be handy, but at the moment I am getting 90 Mbps out of the FTTC connection on the road - pretty happy with that for now.

Edit - just checked on the planned coverage map - Newtown is not included.. they must have been there for a meeting or a promo/publicity event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

On 6mb fixed wireless here in West Mayo. Not a mention of us so looks like we're stuck on 6mb for the foreseeable future.
    I can get 12mb if I'm upstairs on 4g with Eir, sometimes even 20mb if I'm at the window so there's no excuse for 6mb anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

It’s been handled badly imo have the survey results put up as each area is finished to give people an idea of what’s going on instead of holding the information back for months

They have stated before that they will give quarterly updates. I contacted them during the week to see if they would publish any updates before the next quarter on the site and I just got a generic response :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭Jofspring

If they are actually finished surveying Limerick at the moment then it looks like they only surveyed to about 3km outside the city and Eir actually ended up connecting most those people anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

I’m also waiting, but folks they’ve gotta start somewhere and some area has to be first!

I think we should all breath a sigh of relief that this is happening as a few months later and this crisis hits, I’m convinced the NBP would have been put on ice simply because the cost wouldn’t have been sellable politically speaking, regardless of how important we all know it is.

Edit: are we sure they have moved on from counties to do other ones, or are they simply scaling up the number of people doing they surveying?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Orebro wrote: »
    Edit: are we sure they have moved on from counties to do other ones, or are they simply scaling up the number of people doing they surveying?

We're not sure of anything. We'll know what's what when they publish the updates. As much as some people would like them to publish an update after every road they survey, that's not how a process like this works.

Everyone will get plenty of notice of when fibre will be available to them. Demanding that NBI publish updates more often won't get fibre to you any sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

I would imagine just because they surveyed somewhere means they have the solution for the area instantly. They might survey somewhere and it turns out to be very complex for example so they don't give a date on regular bases to allow themselves time to have a full picture of the area. By doing it quarterly it allows them to ensure they have it all figured out before committing to a date

And to chime in on how close to fiber I am, 500m away with houses on either end of my road hooked up to fibre so I feel the pain. I'm on max speeds of 8Mb mobile broadband and less than 15km from the centre of Cork city. In saying all that, giving out about NBI speed isn't going to get ye anywhere. Especially complaining about it on here. They are on schedule and I'd rather they did it right instead of half arsed which is what will happen if surveying doesn't happen properly.

We already have enough half baked networks (e.g. Eir)

oscarBravo wrote: »
    We're not sure of anything. We'll know what's what when they publish the updates. As much as some people would like them to publish an update after every road they survey, that's not how a process like this works.

Everyone will get plenty of notice of when fibre will be available to them. Demanding that NBI publish updates more often won't get fibre to you any sooner.

No one is expecting it after every road but I would say once every 2 weeks / per month they could give some form of an update. "Area survey complete date TBD" Even just list what areas have been surveyed. Naming 4 or 5 areas within a county, when more have been looked at is just adding to the questions.

Vague updates like they did today really does sound only parts of current counties have been completed and they are moving away from these areas for now.

For me personally, I'd have no issue being given a a date Feb 2023 with a big asterix beside it *subject to change. Just to have an idea would help. As disappointing of a date that would be :D

On the bright side, at least there is progress being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Spotted 2 vans today near me , one at the end of my road so they might be in to my house tomorrow. Stopped for a quick hello to the engineer and to welcome him to the area lol. He reckons a year from now might be optimistic but not much longer. Depends on the higher ups to direct priorities I suppose. Peter Hendrick did say Easter next year for these areas around Roscommon Town a month or so ago so we'll see.

It's like the liberation of France seeing these guys around the area haha! Nearly offered him tea and biscuits.

I've fixed wireless and a 3g sim with a mobile router 'just in case' and it's beating the FWA for speed and reliability lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

From the SBP today, article on the draft programme for government. Thinking of all the time wasted over the last few years by members of these parties delay tactics in the Oireachtas
    There is going to be a commitment in the programme for government to accelerate the rollout of the national broadband plan. This is in line with the recent commitment made by Richard Bruton, Minister for Communications, to deliver it to 542,000 homes within five years instead of seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Amazing how no party is questioning its feasibility now. Having followed the NBP since inception and it's precarious progress, I honestly think it's nothing short of a miracle that there will be premises connected this year. Imagine if Timmy got his way, we'd no doubt be dealing with a postponed review/"pause" due to Covid instead and no way would they find the money for it later. FG got this right. I'm no blue-shirt, but they got my respect with how they persevered to get it over the line last Autumn. FF/SF et al can't get far enough away from it right now as there's no limelight in it for them.

Jim

Not a fan nor a constituent of his, but Denis Naughten deserves major praise for pushing the FTTH solution and getting the NBP practically to the finishing line - he seemed to “get it”. And like I said earlier, thank God Dimmy Tooley didn’t mange to get it paused as it would now be a dead duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

The Cush wrote: »
    From the SBP today, article on the draft programme for government. Thinking of all the time wasted over the last few years by members of these parties delay tactics in the Oireachtas
    There is going to be a commitment in the programme for government to accelerate the rollout of the national broadband plan. This is in line with the recent commitment made by Richard Bruton, Minister for Communications, to deliver it to 542,000 homes within five years instead of seven.

I didn't see where Richard Bruton made a "commitment". I thought he'd just said they were exploring possibilities. NBI's CEO has only stated that it will be delivered ahead of schedule, by some unknown amount.

Does anyone have a link to this commitment or is SBP making stuff up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Orebro wrote: »
    Not a fan nor a constituent of his, but Denis Naughten deserves major praise for pushing the FTTH solution and getting the NBP practically to the finishing line - he seemed to “get it”. And like I said earlier, thank God Dimmy Tooley didn’t mange to get it paused as it would now be a dead duck.

Denis Naughten entered government in 2016 promoting a "national" 5g solution. He had to be convinced by DCCAE officials that the plan already on the table was the best solution.

His acceptance (against his judgement, he says) of private ownership made the procurement much more complicated and probably added to the delay.
    His acceptance of the Eircom 300k network nearly sank the project and meant the rest of it couldn't be started until Eircom had finished.
    Getting played by David McCourt (his resignation, the Smith report, the re-appraisal of all other options) added about another year to the project.

He was enthusiastic and probably meant well, once the engineering had been explained to him, but his actions afterwards were either naive or desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Currently redoing my driveway , stone is probably three decades old from previous owner. Zero chance of me wanting to dig it up when it's finished so I've trenched a brand new conduit right into the house to the telephone pole outside the gate. Around 40 meters with draw lines in it.

The previous owner had a billion problems with Eir ended quite badly with legal letters exchanged. I've never had phone line when we moved in because I didn't know where it was but knew it was rubbish.

Well found it quick smart when trenching. Looked in poor condition. Conduit wasn't continuous either had a right angle bend with a rubber on it. Prob 14mm thick or less.

Only cost me a length of contuit and my time. Had digger for the driveway work this week.

Now might get fiber sometime in the next 5 years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Fair play, if only more homeowners were as forward thinking as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

clohamon wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to this commitment or is SBP making stuff up again?

Of course you're correct.

Min. Bruton said "I have asked my officials to investigate the feasibility of accelerating the roll-out of the national broadband plan"

and

NBI have said "our regular discussions with the department include exploring how that might be expedited"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

listermint wrote: »
    Currently redoing my driveway , stone is probably three decades old from previous owner. Zero chance of me wanting to dig it up when it's finished so I've trenched a brand new conduit right into the house to the telephone pole outside the gate. Around 40 meters with draw lines in it.

The previous owner had a billion problems with Eir ended quite badly with legal letters exchanged. I've never had phone line when we moved in because I didn't know where it was but knew it was rubbish.

Well found it quick smart when trenching. Looked in poor condition. Conduit wasn't continuous either had a right angle bend with a rubber on it. Prob 14mm thick or less.

Only cost me a length of contuit and my time. Had digger for the driveway work this week.

Now might get fiber sometime in the next 5 years :)

I did similar in 2014 at my parents house fully expecting to have fibre well by now in 2020.

In 2017 mice found the end of the conduit and invaded the house in through what was like a VIP tunnel to the house. I used white waste water plumbers pipe, I buried both ends in concrete to keep out the mice after the mice invasion.

However at least now there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel with NBI if you pardon the pun.

• Advertisement

clohamon wrote: »
    Denis Naughten entered government in 2016 promoting a "national" 5g solution. He had to be convinced by DCCAE officials that the plan already on the table was the best solution.

His acceptance (against his judgement, he says) of private ownership made the procurement much more complicated and probably added to the delay.
    His acceptance of the Eircom 300k network nearly sank the project and meant the rest of it couldn't be started until Eircom had finished.
    Getting played by David McCourt (his resignation, the Smith report, the re-appraisal of all other options) added about another year to the project.

He was enthusiastic and probably meant well, once the engineering had been explained to him, but his actions afterwards were either naive or desperate.

Goes with the territory unfortunately - every Minister starting in a Dept has to be given the lowdown and advice on how it is from the civil servants actually doing the work. He sure as hell did more good than the likes of Noel dialup Dempsey and every Minister before him.

Advertisement